PDA

View Full Version : 6 speed transmission

Greg O
08-14-2015, 09:14 PM
Do you think the Goldwings should be updated to a 6 speed transmission.

flat6bagger
08-14-2015, 09:25 PM
Nope.
Not needed.
Why change something that has been working great for years and years.

Doug

Greg O
08-14-2015, 09:29 PM
I'm thinking to get even better fuel economy.

stroguy
08-14-2015, 10:15 PM
I like it the way it is. At 70 and I need to twist the throttle to avoid a knuckle brain I am already at the RPM that gives instant acceleration with out downshifting.

shooter
08-14-2015, 10:22 PM
For my part I'm OK with 5. I don't need to shift 1 more time on each series. Right now 5th is good from 25 to 125. Not too many bikes can say that.

Steve 0080
08-14-2015, 10:26 PM
Some of the bikes that went to 6th gear are not happy with it and there are aftermarket folks fixing that.....besides the F6 would be a pig in 6th....

BIGLRY
08-14-2015, 10:28 PM
A 6th gear? What 2 overdrives now are not enough?:icon_lol:
Unless Honda changes some of the other gear ratios which I don't believe need to be changed, nor that a 6th gear is needed, but if there were a 6th gear then the 4th (0.843 27/32)which is an overdrive and the 5th (0.843 27/32)which is an overdrive too would need to be changed. IMO.
Here are the five F6B gear ratios.
1st 2.375 (38/16) / 2nd 1.454 (32/22) / 3rd 1.068 (31/29) / 4th 0.843 (27/32) 5th 0.686 (24/35)

stroguy
08-14-2015, 11:16 PM
For my part I'm OK with 5. I don't need to shift 1 more time on each series. Right now 5th is good from 25 to 125. Not too many bikes can say that.

Exactly. I make it a habit to finish my highway speed accel in 3rd and bypass 4th right into 5th. Screw another shift.

ddoug
08-16-2015, 02:41 PM
I do not think a 6 speed trans is the answer ; I'd rather change ring and pinion to lower the rpm 300-400 at cruise speed; but -Honda probably designed the trans gears around the current ring & pinion because of ring gear diameter. A larger ring gear might not fit in this casting, and a smaller pinion would be weaker.
My guess .

Cool Hand Luke
08-16-2015, 03:26 PM
I'd rather stay with 5 but add reverse back instead.

valkmc
08-16-2015, 03:28 PM
Owned 1 bike with 6 speed a C-14 and I loved the bike but around down or getting on the expressway I found myself skipping gears. I don't see a need for and extra gear.

opas ride
08-16-2015, 03:35 PM
Nope.
Not needed.
Why change something that has been working great for years and years.

Doug

+1 Why change something that has worked fine for many years??....Old adage...."If it ain't broke why fix it?".....

khahn
08-16-2015, 03:54 PM
I like it the way it is. This motor doesn't need a 6 speed. 1st is a borderline granny gear nice for puttering around a parking lot. Once out on the road 5th is good for speed limits 35 to infinity, well maybe not infinity but close.

Ericb445
08-16-2015, 04:18 PM
I say keep it the way it is.
If it isn't broke don't fix it.

Michael_A
08-16-2015, 04:27 PM
I'm happy with 5; I just wish they'd improve the shift QUALITY. These things can clunk like an old /5 BMW! 6 may be nice, but 4 valve heads with hydraulic lifters and 150hp would be nicer :icon_twisted:

Cheesyryder
08-17-2015, 12:24 PM
Drove a 6 speed Victory while they were servicing my Bike. Guess What?? You go no faster and spend a lot more time dancing on that shifter!! (ALot) Leave the F6 well enough alone!! .notworthy.

53driver
08-17-2015, 01:01 PM
I'm happy with 5; I just wish they'd improve the shift QUALITY. These things can clunk like an old /5 BMW! 6 may be nice, but 4 valve heads with hydraulic lifters and 150hp would be nicer :icon_twisted:

What oil are you using?

My experience: when I changed to Rotella T6 in the big blue bottle, shifting noise and effort went down.
Same with my '98 Valk and my '81 Wing.

BIGLRY
08-17-2015, 01:34 PM
What oil are you using?

My experience: when I changed to Rotella T6 in the big blue bottle, shifting noise and effort went down.
Same with my '98 Valk and my '81 Wing.Ya know I have found that to be very true. Every time I have switched from Dino oil to a synthetic oil, it seems to quiet the trans and makes shifting smoother.:icon_biggrin:

DMAGOLDRDR
08-17-2015, 01:37 PM
Do you think the Goldwings should be updated to a 6 speed transmission.

One issue with adding more overdrive and lowering RPM is lugging an engine too much... Extended low RPM is harder on an engine than you may think.. And chances are a couple hundred lower RPM will not gain you much in MPG.
Now if you were running a V-Twin and straight pipes and wanted a bit lower RPM to ride quieter,,, than I get that.

IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY Harley Owners were warned in an article in Baggers Mag written by S&S that extended low RPM was causing a few minor issues.. I will have to go back and see if I could find the article and re read it to see what the issues were.

Sorcerer
08-17-2015, 02:40 PM
One issue with adding more overdrive and lowering RPM is lugging an engine too much... Extended low RPM is harder on an engine than you may think.. And chances are a couple hundred lower RPM will not gain you much in MPG.
Now if you were running a V-Twin and straight pipes and wanted a bit lower RPM to ride quieter,,, than I get that.

IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY Harley Owners were warned in an article in Baggers Mag written by S&S that extended low RPM was causing a few minor issues.. I will have to go back and see if I could find the article and re read it to see what the issues were.

I would guess bigger power pulses transmitted into the drive train will have an adverse effect on gears and bearings. Also with an air cooled motor the lower rpm would lower the oil moving through the engine block, oil cooler causing more heat to stay in the motor. May be some one who is in thermodinamics would like to give there .02 on this. Cooling coefficients.

shooter
08-17-2015, 02:55 PM

I'm with you on the 150 HP. You can never have too much under the cowl.

marmilia
08-17-2015, 03:01 PM
With the torque this engine makes I don't think it needs it..... but I did grow up riding bikes with four speeds and had cars with two speeds LOL

opas ride
08-17-2015, 03:37 PM

What kind of oil are you using?..Some oils make the shifts more pronounced/noisy and some seem to make the trans shift better and with less noise...I recently switched from Honda HP4 to Rotella T-6 full synthetic and it does shift a little less noisy and smoother to me...The Victory Vision I had was really loud between gears and "clunked a lot when shifting".....JMHO

JetBlackWing
08-21-2015, 11:23 AM
Just minor complaints, but I do like a 5 speed, but feel the final gear should have been somewhat taller, or higher. (and I find it difficult to get my toe under the shifter too) This engine has plenty of torque and power with is broad deliverly for a higher final ratio, that down shifting on hills wouldn't be an issue. I feel like the ratio between 3 & 4th is too close and is where it could have been made up for a higher final gear. This 6 cylinder runs higher rpms in top gear at highways speeds than my 1900 Stratoliner Vee twin, though the motor doesn't seem to be bothered by higher rpms, the throttle remains alittle too crispy/choppy for ultimate comfort on the hwy. Just thinking
"coffee"

racer
08-21-2015, 12:18 PM
5th gear is already overdrive. The 5 speed is fine, I don't think a taller gear is needed, I don't have to downshift to pass or go up a hill like the Harley 6 speeds do.

six2go
08-21-2015, 01:16 PM
If the "6" had a six speed, everyone would be clamoring for a 7th gear.

Michael_A
08-21-2015, 02:50 PM
I'm running Mobile 1 10/40 motorcycle oil. It helped the shifting a bit. It was pretty bad for the first few thousand miles, but has gotten noticeably better as I approach my next oil change. Probably needed to be run in, but I don't recall my 09 Wing being that clunky at first....

dickiedeals
08-21-2015, 03:21 PM
Some folks would complain if you were hanging them with a new rope.lol ..:wheelchair wheelie:....Dickie

hardtail
08-24-2015, 07:54 PM
The transmission in my 6 doesn't shift as smoothly as I expected. Seems very"catchy". Is quiet but takes as much effort as my Harleys. Hope this gets better as it breaks in. Only 4300 miles so far. More on point, I think a little taller final drive would be ok. The engine has enough guts to pull it and could help mileage.

boxer6
08-25-2015, 12:58 AM
Have you ever tested Honda double clutch transmission ? I think this is the only right answer to the gear issue in this kind of bike. I'm gonna update my 2013 F6B 32000 km in odometer to new one when DCT is available.

hardtail
08-25-2015, 07:55 AM
Not familiar with DCT. Is this aftermarket or a factory upgrade? Will research this. I'm used to 50+ year old technology.

willtill
08-25-2015, 07:57 AM
Here is an interesting read on the Honda DCT:

http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-picturebook/DCT/detail/

hardtail
08-25-2015, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the info. I checked this out and my take is this is an option on some smaller bikes from the factory. Not adaptable in any way to an f6b. Don't want an auto trans-just want mine to shift smoother.(what about paddle shifters like f1. that would keep our fingers busy)(haha)

Bob Penn
08-25-2015, 09:51 AM
Just before reading this thread I was down on the lower 40, pulling some old stumps in first gear. That gear seemed just fine for that chore or maybe when I'm pulling a trailer full of hay, but when I'm plain riding first gear seems a bit low for me. Dang thing near jumps out from under me if I don't have a cow on the back. Maybe that's where the transmission needs some fixin.:icon_lol:

six2go
08-25-2015, 10:15 AM
Have you ever tested Honda double clutch transmission ? I think this is the only right answer to the gear issue in this kind of bike. I'm gonna update my 2013 F6B 32000 km in odometer to new one when DCT is available.
Ditto. I tested the DCT when it came out in the NC700 and thought it was pretty nice. I am surprised that it hasn't showed up as an option for the Gold Wing platform. Like you, I would make the switch without a second thought. My VW GTI has the DCT(VW calls it DSG)and it shifts faster than what is humanly possible in any of the three modes. Contrary to what many people think, it is not a "slushbox" auto transmission, rather it's an electronically shifted manual trans. with a separate clutch lined up and ready to go for the next gear. If you let the electronics do the work it shifts real fast, if you use the "sport" mode, it holds each gear to a higher RPM then shifts really fast. In the manual mode, the operator can shift at whatever RPM you want just like a manual(which it is). On the VW the manual mode is shifted either with paddle shifters or using the "stick" in tiptronic mode. On the NC700 I rode, there was a "trigger" on the left grip to use in manual mode. The other two options operated like my VW.