PDA

View Full Version : For my Florida brethren...SunPass

53driver
08-15-2015, 08:58 AM
What's the best way to employ the "SunPass" transponders?

Per the SunPass website, it says that the "mini-sticker-transponders don't work with motorcycle windscreens."
Has someone proved this wrong yet? Or do I have to get the "portable transponder"?

What's the gouge, guys?

dickiedeals
08-15-2015, 09:04 AM
They seem to be correct that it doesn't work on motorcycles. Every time I try to use the portable hand held or in pocket it doesn't work either...I get a bill from them in the mail for nonpayment of tolls. Doesn't matter which toll road I go on. 528, 417 etc. Of course I send them a check and yes they waved additional fee's each time..........................Dickie

stroguy
08-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Steve, I mounted mine to a chip clip bag clip with 3M. No way I was permanately mounting mine to the bike. I put a small strip of neoprene on each clamp of the clip. It holds at 90MPH no problem.

53driver
08-15-2015, 09:49 AM
They seem to be correct that it doesn't work on motorcycles. Every time I try to use the portable hand held or in pocket it doesn't work either...I get a bill from them in the mail for nonpayment of tolls. Doesn't matter which toll road I go on. 528, 417 etc. Of course I send them a check..........................Dickie

Thanks Dickie. The "pay-by-plate" method is definitely not cost effective. $2.50 "admin" charge on a $1.50 toll - no thanks.

If you have the SunPass transponder and account, do they assess the admin charges when it doesn't trigger?

53driver
08-15-2015, 09:53 AM
Steve, I mounted mine to a chip clip bag clip with 3M. No way I was permanently mounting mine to the bike. I put a small strip of neoprene on each clamp of the clip. It holds at 90MPH no problem.

Stro - I'm wondering if the "mini-transponder" affixed to a chip clip would at least make it portable between vehicles..... They call for the mini to be "permanently affixed" to the inside of a glass windshield and removing it will destroy it.

stroguy
08-15-2015, 10:08 AM
Stro - I'm wondering if the "mini-transponder" affixed to a chip clip would at least make it portable between vehicles..... They call for the mini to be "permanently affixed" to the inside of a glass windshield and removing it will destroy it.

Understood. The cages version for our toll authority transponder is a post it note sized capsule that would be destroyed if you removed it from the window. Motorcycle transponders are these larger plastic packages. I just was not going to permanentaly mount it anywhere on the bike. I just toss it in the cubby when not tolling, I have a separate transponder on the car tied to the account.

Steve 0080
08-15-2015, 11:16 AM
Easy, easy...... buy one transponder, set up an account, THEN add all the tag numbers you want to go under THAT transponder....put the one transponder in your cage !!!...Done

bertrider
08-15-2015, 12:02 PM
One transponder per vehicle in our state. You can't move them around to different vehicles here. My plastic box is velcro attached to the back of my smoke windscreen. I put it in the glove box when not needed.

FlaMike
08-15-2015, 03:43 PM
Thanks Dickie. The "pay-by-plate" method is definitely not cost effective. $2.50 "admin" charge on a $1.50 toll - no thanks.

If you have the SunPass transponder and account, do they assess the admin charges when it doesn't trigger?

No admin charges if you have an account and bike tag is assigned to it. You can assign numerous vehicle/ trailer tags to one transponder.
At times, I don't even carry it with me. Toll roads, bridge tolls, Fla Turnpike, no problem.

hiflyer
08-15-2015, 03:43 PM
I had mine mounted under the glove box lid with 3m duel lock. Worked fine in Oklahoma and Texas. This being the plastic box version. Some people have mounted them under the front cowl with the same 3m product. Use either spot and forget about it, but under the glove box lid is waterproof.

Airborne06
08-15-2015, 04:21 PM
What's the best way to employ the "SunPass" transponders?

Per the SunPass website, it says that the "mini-sticker-transponders don't work with motorcycle windscreens."
Has someone proved this wrong yet? Or do I have to get the "portable transponder"?

What's the gouge, guys?

That is correct...the mini stick on transponder won't work with a non-glass windshield. I keep my portable mini in the left hand compartment, and just hold it up as I go past the detector. Seems to have worked so far...

Cool Hand Luke
08-15-2015, 07:21 PM
Buy this one:

It attaches via two suction cups. It is fairly small. Put it on the bottom inside of your bike's windshield, it won't come off. Leave it in glove box when not needed. Works perfect.

Also, add all your vehicles under your Sunpass account. Then you can use the same transponder on all of them.

By the way, Sunpass account funds you put in never expire.

moe113097
08-15-2015, 07:23 PM
I have sunpass in car and registered the f6b tag on line. So far has been working

Fla_rider
08-15-2015, 10:00 PM
I have the sticker one and the portable one. One time I forgot both and called Sunpass after the fact. She said no worries if my plate is registered on the account. So that's what I do nothing! Toll by plate and plate is on account. :clap2:

Same as moe!

stroguy
08-15-2015, 10:05 PM
I have the sticker one and the portable one. One time I forgot both and called Sunpass after the fact. She said no worries if my plate is registered on the account. So that's what I do nothing! Toll by plate and plate is on account. :clap2:

Same as moe!

No way! That's common sense, no way! Can you call them here in Houston and let them know?

53driver
08-16-2015, 12:22 AM
Okay, I got it.
- Get a transponder.
- Create an account.
- Add everything with wheels.
- Keep the transponder in the desk drawer.
- Let the camera do the work and there will be no admin charges.

Most excellent!