PDA

View Full Version : Corbin Dual Touring Saddle - Review

Gperson
08-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Hello All,
I have searched and found several of you have this saddle on your F6B. I am considering this for my bike but have not read any real convincing user reports to date. I'm sure it can be customized for height and length. Off the shelf did it move you forward or backwards from stock. Did it raise or lower your seating position from stock. I know some of you said it felt like you are now sitting "in the seat" rather than on top of the seat. As for comfort, many have said that it is a little firmer than most. I understand that is suppose to be a good thing, more support for longer rides. If possible, please post pics of your bike with this saddle.

Thanks in advance for sharing your "real life" experiences with this good looking Corbin Dual Touring saddle.:clap2:

Ride Safe,

G

Honda Raider
08-03-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm putting an Ultimate on mine when they come out. However, the Corbin is a great looking seat, and many folks like it. I've had Ultimate, Corbin, and Mustang on three different bikes, and each was an improvement over stock.

I know it doesn't transfer to your situation directly, but I had a Corbin on a Kawasaki Versys that got me from Houston to Fort Worth and back with comfortable results. When I ordered it, I had them add about 1.5 inches to the height (I'm tall), and it didn't affect the firmness or ride ability IMO. If you decide to go Corbin, I'd bet you'll be happy after breaking it in. The Ultimate seats are about 30 - 60 days from hitting the market right now as of yesterday, according to their staff.

Best wishes!:icon_cool:

F6B-RICH
08-03-2013, 08:28 PM
I installed my Corbin Dual Touring today and so far so good.Did a small ride to see how my altered Torq masters sound and the seat feels good.
I think it moved me forward a little and lower in the bike.You feel like you are in the bike more then sitting on top of the bike for sure.I need a
firm to hard seat thats why I always get a Corbin on all my bikes because I always get a sore ass quick with a soft seat.Hope this info helps
you out.

MSGT-R
08-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Mine was delivered with the modular smuggler system. The front seat does wonders for me because it was cut down and tapered so I can get my foot down easier, and the back pad thickened.

Anytime you go "down", it feels like you've gone forward because the distance to your pegs have changed. It feels different, but not uncomfortable for my 6-foot husband, even though it's cut for me.

Not the same seat, but things to ponder.

The touring seat is going to be more contoured than the stocker; that by itself will feel different and relieve pressure on the tailbone.

Texas TC
08-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Corbin makes a great seat. I had one on a BMW too many years ago. However, they are not for everyone. I prefer a soft seat like Mustang or even the OEM Honda seat. Corbin is just too hard and uncomfortable to me. Many love them. PLEASE sit on one, or better yet, ride on one to make sure you are a Corbin type rider.

chipmaker
08-04-2013, 12:09 PM
I wish Sargent would make a seat for us. They are firm without straying too far from the factory lines.

F6B-RICH
08-04-2013, 12:19 PM
I agree Corbin is not for everyone you must like a firm to hard seat but if you ever take off the stock F6B seat and check it out it is made cheap.If you poke your fingers at the foam it fells every soft not much ass support. Its like a foam mat that you would add to your bed not a motorcycle.The stock seat is a plastic seat pan with some cheap foam.Whatever seat company your ass likes is great for you and if you like the looks and feel of the stock seat thats great less money you have to spend on your bike.

fl1madmax
08-04-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm putting an Ultimate on mine when they come out. However, the Corbin is a great looking seat, and many folks like it. I've had Ultimate, Corbin, and Mustang on three different bikes, and each was an improvement over stock.

I know it doesn't transfer to your situation directly, but I had a Corbin on a Kawasaki Versys that got me from Houston to Fort Worth and back with comfortable results. When I ordered it, I had them add about 1.5 inches to the height (I'm tall), and it didn't affect the firmness or ride ability IMO. If you decide to go Corbin, I'd bet you'll be happy after breaking it in. The Ultimate seats are about 30 - 60 days from hitting the market right now as of yesterday, according to their staff.

Best wishes!:icon_cool:
I've had 4 Ultimate Seats, and do many 600 mile days, with and without wife, were sold on Ultimate, just a 64 year old rider since I was 11........owned them all but BMW,and I know what I LIKE ! I'll wait for the BEST !

F6B-RICH
08-04-2013, 02:08 PM
I've had 4 Ultimate Seats, and do many 600 mile days, with and without wife, were sold on Ultimate, just a 64 year old rider since I was 11........owned them all but BMW,and I know what I LIKE ! I'll wait for the BEST !

The BEST is what your ass likes

chipmaker
08-04-2013, 02:23 PM
The BEST is what your ass likes

Yep.........

Phantom
08-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Some people like tall windshields, some like short windshields, everyone has different comfort levels.

I have owned CORBIN seats since 1984.

Currently I own 2 CORBINS with Oval backrests and 1 ULTIMATE with the Ultimate backrest for the Hondas in my stable, No issues with either one.

:beer3:

F6B-RICH
08-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Pictures of my Corbin

timjoebob
08-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Here's my review after about 1400 miles:

I've owned Corbin before, on my VTX 1300R, so I knew what to expect. I knew it was firm. However, on my '05 Wing, I had a Hartco seat which was the most comfortable I've ever had, and I've tried em all.

I think it was Miles who said it: Corbin makes the best-looking seat, hands down. I think the comfort is something that is a matter of taste and I've already called Hartco to see when they'll be working on a seat for the F6B. It won't be until this winter. Booo.

Bottom line: I have a great looking seat which gets uncomfortable after about 100 miles and requires a stop. This winter I'll be replacing it.

twtex85
08-05-2013, 09:18 PM
I had the same problem on a Corbin seat that I bought for my Concours 14. Called Corbin and told them the problem was that it was too hard and they said that you get one free rework if you don't like it. Sent it back to them and they reworked it to soften it up and they sent it back. Much better after they sent it back and the wife liked it better also. You might want to try it before you change it out. The seat looks good on your bike but if it doesn't match your rear then looks don't mean anything. Good luck with finding a seat that fits you.

MichaelG
08-05-2013, 10:57 PM
However, on my '05 Wing, I had a Hartco seat which was the most comfortable I've ever had, and I've tried em all.

I think it was Miles who said it: Corbin makes the best-looking seat, hands down. I think the comfort is something that is a matter of taste and I've already called Hartco to see when they'll be working on a seat for the F6B. It won't be until this winter.

TimJoeBob, you say, "you have tried them all"...then I have to ask, have you tried a Russell Day-Long Saddle ?????

And yes, I did say that Corbin makes the very best LOOKING seat, but the other half of that statement was that Russell Day-Long saddles are the most comfortable seats. Given the choice, I would choose comfort over looks every time.

If a so-called rider wants to unload their Harley out of the back of a trailer, and push it into the parking lot to show it in the bike show, then it would look better with a Corbin seat on it. But if a serious rider wants to go out and ride 1500 miles in a day, then they had better have a Russell Day-Long saddle on their bike.

timjoebob
08-06-2013, 07:48 PM
TimJoeBob, you say, "you have tried them all"...then I have to ask, have you tried a Russell Day-Long Saddle ?????

And yes, I did say that Corbin makes the very best LOOKING seat, but the other half of that statement was that Russell Day-Long saddles are the most comfortable seats. Given the choice, I would choose comfort over looks every time.

If a so-called rider wants to unload their Harley out of the back of a trailer, and push it into the parking lot to show it in the bike show, then it would look better with a Corbin seat on it. But if a serious rider wants to go out and ride 1500 miles in a day, then they had better have a Russell Day-Long saddle on their bike.

No, Miles, I haven't tried Russell Day Long. I guess I haven't tried em all. However, RDL requires your saddle to do the work. As you know, they work off your seat pan. To be frank, I live in VA, would have to ship it and I haven't wanted to be off my bike that long. I have heated gear and severe Winter weather may only take 4-8 weeks away from riding, depending how bad of Winter we get. Yes, there is a window of time in the middle of winter that might work, but I didn't want to wait. I ordered a Hartco seat and have done a SS1000, sitting in the saddle 18 hours. The only thing that was sore after that ride was my shoulders... my butt was fine.

I haven't tried Rick Mayer seats either. Mustang, Corbin, Ultimate, Hartco, stock...

Also, one thing I forgot to mention that I notice on hot days: vinyl or leather (Corbin) gives you monkey-butt. The Hartco seat I had on my Wing was velour on the seat top, which doesn't get as hot and has a bit more breathability.

Miles, you had a RDL done on your F6B, I believe. Could you post some pictures (maybe in a separate thread, so as to not hijack). I'm interested in your seating position. How tall are you? What's your sleeve length? Just curious so I can compare.

Bike44
08-06-2013, 11:18 PM
I've come to the same conclusion re Corbin...looks good, heavy, rides hard. Had several, all the same. RDL will be my choice this winter when my Avatar temp goes low again.

Chaz
08-10-2013, 01:01 PM
I've ordered the Corbin heated solo seat with smuggler trunk. I had the solo seat and smuggler trunk on my prior ST1300 and it really gave the bike a unique look. Hoping the same with the F6b.

MichaelG
08-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Also, one thing I forgot to mention that I notice on hot days: vinyl or leather (Corbin) gives you monkey-butt. The Hartco seat I had on my Wing was velour on the seat top, which doesn't get as hot and has a bit more breathability.

Miles, you had a RDL done on your F6B, I believe. Could you post some pictures (maybe in a separate thread, so as to not hijack). I'm interested in your seating position. How tall are you? What's your sleeve length? Just curious so I can compare.

TimJoeBob, here is the link to my previous thread about the RDL seat I had done on my bike, includiong pictures. Scroll down the page, and you will see pics.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?318-Riding-down-for-a-new-Russell-Day-Long-seat&highlight=russell+seats

As you can see, I always have the velour seating area done, so that it is not hot in the Summer heat, and not cold in the Winter chill.

timjoebob
08-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks, Miles, for the link to your photos and description. We'll see what happens this winter.