PDA

View Full Version : Run Flat Tire vs Non Run Flat

Richie
08-17-2015, 10:18 AM
When riding two up is it safer using a rf because of the heaver side wall?

Does anyone feel uneasy riding two up on a non rf knowing that the sidewall is much thiner than a mt tire?

I have 15000 miles and ready for new tires and am considering RF, non RF, or MT.

I live in NY and have both flat and twisty mountain roads. I'm not looking for a tire that i need to change air pressure when riding twisty roads or when i ride two up. With the Stones 40/ 40 was fine for everything.

Thanks for any help..........Richie

shooter
08-17-2015, 11:42 AM
Richie I rode a G-Max non runflat for about 6 months. I mostly ride two up. A good pressure for me 1 or two up was 44. I now run a Michelin run flat and 40 seems to be good.

Richie
08-18-2015, 09:36 AM
Richie I rode a G-Max non runflat for about 6 months. I mostly ride two up. A good pressure for me 1 or two up was 44. I now run a Michelin run flat and 40 seems to be good.

If you were to replace you tires today, witch tires would you get?

Richie

shooter
08-18-2015, 10:52 AM
They are both good. The Michelin is stiff like an MC tire. I like the feel of it better two up. If I rode single all the time either one would do. That Michelin handles and corners better than a MC tire in my opinion.

Richie
08-18-2015, 08:37 PM
thanks for your help............Richie

valkmc
09-13-2015, 07:57 AM
I just ordered a Michelin Primacy Alpin ZP I have one on the 6 and the center of it is fairly bald. I think it wears in the center bc I run 38 psi. Not sure of mileage bc it started on my full Wing and got moved to the F6. Wish I had kept better track but it is in the 30k range. Ordered from Tire Rack $165 to my door. Sam's wanted $180 and I had to pick up at the store. It is not easy to find them in stock in Florida even Sam's said 5 days. I will post a pic of the tire when I take it off. I think I will throw the OEM back on. It is sitting in the garage mounted on the original rim.

Hornblower
09-13-2015, 08:21 AM
Richie--Be not concerned either way. After all, these are car tires and designed to take abuse that you will never subject it to. I've run both RF and NRF. Currently, I'm running a Falken NRF and it grips like no MC tire I've ever seen. Only thing is you will run slightly lower air pressure in the RF than the NRF. Also, the RF tires are considerably heavier than the NRF.

dickiedeals
09-13-2015, 09:49 AM
Richie--Be not concerned either way. After all, these are car tires and designed to take abuse that you will never subject it to. I've run both RF and NRF. Currently, I'm running a Falken NRF and it grips like no MC tire I've ever seen. Only thing is you will run slightly lower air pressure in the RF than the NRF. Also, the RF tires are considerably heavier than the NRF.

Ken, I'm going to the dark side. What is the nomenclature of the Falkin tires that fit the F6B RF AND NRF? I'm not sure which to go with being a Darkside virgin..................Dickie

Hornblower
09-13-2015, 10:59 AM
Ken, I'm going to the dark side. What is the nomenclature of the Falkin tires that fit the F6B RF AND NRF? I'm not sure which to go with being a Darkside virgin..................Dickie

Dickie--I've only run two different car tires so far. First, I had the Kumho Ecsta SPT which was a run flat. It was perfectly fine but edge wear made a change necessary. I wonder why that happened :icon_rolleyes: :shrug:. Now I have the Falken 612 non run flat. The 612 was proprietary to Discount Tire and someone said it had been discontinued. It is exactly the same tire as the Falken 912. This is the tire that Yellow Wolf and his riding buddies have been running. Other than these two tires, the Michelin Alpin, which is actually a winter tire, gets really good reviews. That's about all I think I know on this subject.

valkmc
09-13-2015, 04:27 PM

Michelin Alpin after approximately 30k. Love the stability, and wet road traction. As I said in a earlier post I have one on the way to my house. For now I have the OEM mc tire back on. I got lucky my two sons stopped by to watch football so I didn't have to do any lifting.

bob109
09-13-2015, 06:56 PM

Michelin Alpin after approximately 30k. Love the stability, and wet road traction. As I said in a earlier post I have one on the way to my house. For now I have the OEM mc tire back on. I got lucky my two sons stopped by to watch football so I didn't have to do any lifting.

My General G-Max with 30k miles has the direct opposite wear pattern of your Michelin Alpine. The Max has scalloped outer edges whereas you Alpine appears to have plenty of "meat" on the outer tire edge. Guess that might be relevant wear between my Max, a non-runflat and your Alpine RF. Had the pressure at 42/43psi for the life of the tire as it has but a single ply side wall and was subject to some "squirm" at any lower pressure. My 250lb weight:shhh: may had a factor in overall wear:icon_wink:

dickiedeals
09-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Dickie--I've only run two different car tires so far. First, I had the Kumho Ecsta SPT which was a run flat. It was perfectly fine but edge wear made a change necessary. I wonder why that happened :icon_rolleyes: :shrug:. Now I have the Falken 612 non run flat. The 612 was proprietary to Discount Tire and someone said it had been discontinued. It is exactly the same tire as the Falken 912. This is the tire that Yellow Wolf and his riding buddies have been running. Other than these two tires, the Michelin Alpin, which is actually a winter tire, gets really good reviews. That's about all I think I know on this subject.

Ok I must be retarded on this subject.....What I need to know is diameter,width, profile etc. that fits the F6B...Is there a chart somewhere or a place to find out what fits the motorcycle wheel..............Dickie

jm21ddd15
09-13-2015, 07:51 PM
You need 195/55 16".That fits the rear wheel on the 6. You probably need to find a local auto shop to mount the tire, as Honda generally doesn't approve of the Darkside. Plus, they will do it much cheaper. 2oz of "balance beads" and your ready to ride! :icon_mrgreen:

bob109
09-13-2015, 08:39 PM

If you use this tire size comparison calculator you'll find that a 195/55-R16 is a identical match in diameter to the OEM Stone and keeps one from having major speedometer error:icon_wink:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?1174-Tire-Size-Calculator

Steve 0080
09-13-2015, 08:44 PM
Cleaned the bike up today from the trip to Franklin...lowered the Alpine to 32*...had 36 in it for the mountains...the center seems to be less thread than the outside edges, so down to 32* for a while....

valkmc
09-13-2015, 09:40 PM
Cleaned the bike up today from the trip to Franklin...lowered the Alpine to 32*...had 36 in it for the mountains...the center seems to be less thread than the outside edges, so down to 32* for a while....
I tried 32 with the Alpin on my Wing and did not care for it. Found 36-38 to be to my liking but I ended up with this so when I get the new one delivered I think I will try 34. Still even with the middle wear 30k is pretty good.

bob109
09-14-2015, 07:43 AM
I tried 32 with the Alpin on my Wing and did not care for it. Found 36-38 to be to my liking but I ended up with this so when I get the new one delivered I think I will try 34. Still even with the middle wear 30k is pretty good.

To my knowledge, there's not a rear motorcycle tire made that will deliver 30k miles of wear/service. Not sure when folks will finally wake up to the fact that CT's provide a safe and reliable alternative to costly and short lived rear cycle tires. Once bitten by the Dark Side its hard to imagine returning to any cycle tire other than using the Bridgestone BattlAx rear tire on the front:shhh:

valkmc
09-19-2015, 07:45 AM
New Michelin delivered to my door for $165.00 by Tire Rack. Ordered on Sunday delivered on Thursday!

shooter
09-19-2015, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't trade my Alpin for 5 MC tires. Oh wait , the Alpin will probably out last 5 of them. Great tire Valk.