PDA

View Full Version : What grade of gas do you use?

stevenolts
08-18-2015, 02:31 PM
I was told by the dealer that the F6B uses reg unleaded gas (87 octane)

What are we supposed to use?

I was bored at work and found a owners manual online .pdf and it says:
Use unleaded petrol with a research octane number of 91 or higher.

typhoon186
08-18-2015, 02:43 PM
I'll have to check my manual but I thought the minimum required is 87 octane.

I have my ecm reflashed for a 91 octane tune (additional timing). My options here are 87, 89 and 93 so I burn 93 all the time now.

flat6bagger
08-18-2015, 02:45 PM
I use 87 almost 100% of the time.
My manual states pump octane number 86 (or higher)

Doug

Willl
08-18-2015, 02:45 PM
I'll have to check my manual but I thought the minimum required is 87 octane.

I have my ecm reflashed for a 91 octane tune (additional timing). My options here are 87, 89 and 93 so I burn 93 all the time now.

Who did your reflash for you?

ths61
08-18-2015, 02:57 PM
I live in the PRK, so I always use the EXPEN$IVE kind in this $tate because that is the only kind you can get. :yikes:

If SB-350 (a.k.a. :bendover: ) goes into effect to ration gas by 50%, it will probably be more $$$ in addition to being scarce.

opas ride
08-18-2015, 03:00 PM
Tried all 3 available around Michigan where I live, 87.89,93....Don't notice any difference in bikes power/performance with higher or lower octane...Usually fill-up with 87 (cheaper) run tank half empty then fill with 93 just to make me feel good I guess.....I believe the manual says 87 octane or higher is okay....

bob109
08-18-2015, 03:08 PM
I use 87 almost 100% of the time.
My manual states pump octane number 86 (or higher)

Doug

+1.....87 Octane.....consistently delivers 40/44 MPG.....no pinging:icon_wink:

flat6bagger
08-18-2015, 03:20 PM
+1.....87 Octane.....consistently delivers 40/44 MPG.....no pinging:icon_wink:

Thanks Bob,
I forgot to mention the MPG.
I get those same figures consistently and have never experienced pinging even with this Ethanol laced gas.:icon_biggrin:

Doug

shooter
08-18-2015, 03:25 PM
I run premium either 92 or 93. For the most part gas is shyt. My 9 has a programmer that requires 92. I run it in the B also. Mostly Shell. Sometimes BP.

BIGLRY
08-18-2015, 03:26 PM
The cheapest, lowest octane rating I can find in Calif...87 octane usually.

richw56
08-18-2015, 04:03 PM
Always 87 octane.
Never any problems.

CheesyRider
08-18-2015, 04:29 PM

I suspect the manual you found online was for an Australian F6B. Not sure why they have a different octane recommendation there. But, as flat6bagger mentioned, the US version specifies 86 octane minimum required.

I use 87 octane except for the last tank before winter storage. Around here I can only find ethanol free gas in premium. I prefer not to have ethanol sitting in the tank and fuel system all winter.

hardtail
08-18-2015, 05:28 PM
Sometimes 87 but mostly 89 from Shell or Sunoco.

dickiedeals
08-18-2015, 06:30 PM
Regular............Better gas mileage than with Premium......................Dickie

Donncat
08-18-2015, 06:33 PM
Gents, I have always used premium on all 7 GWs. The dealer said when I picked up my 6B told me to also run premium "because 1800s run better on premium". Because of discussion here the last tank I bought was 89 rather than 93 premium and I got that cold hesitation I've heard about and a bunch of pop and crack when I rev on my custom exhaust. Didn't see difference in mileage but definitely a difference in performance. Can't explain it but rather just reporting the news. Sooooooo my next tank will be premium and all gas going forward. Just Sayin :clap2:

khahn
08-18-2015, 06:46 PM
Honda says use regular so I use regular.

stevenolts
08-18-2015, 06:55 PM
What does your owners manual say? What does the service manual say?

I have used nothing but 87 regular from mobile or shell if available up to this point. I swear the dealer said to use regular 87 gas. I have 9000 miles now and never a ping or a problem and she runs like a beast.
Steve

Travelor
08-18-2015, 07:39 PM
The "Research Octane Number" (RON) is figured differently from the "standard" octane numbers and is generally for non-US use and runs about 4 points higher than the octane numbers used in the US. So RON 91 is equivalent to the regular gas 87 octane normally found at US pumps. You are wasting your money with anything higher than regular (87) unless you have modifications to the engine.

moe113097
08-18-2015, 08:12 PM
my wallet runs better at 87 octane, and bike does not mind it

Moe

rich
08-18-2015, 08:37 PM
my wallet runs better at 87 octane, and bike does not mind it

Moe

+1

Fla_rider
08-18-2015, 08:39 PM
Answer-the cheapest! 18,000 miles with not a hesitation, stutter, or hiccup!

BIGLRY
08-18-2015, 08:39 PM
The "Research Octane Number" (RON) is figured differently from the "standard" octane numbers and is generally for non-US use and runs about 4 points higher than the octane numbers used in the US. So RON 91 is equivalent to the regular gas 87 octane normally found at US pumps. You are wasting your money with anything higher than regular (87) unless you have modifications to the engine. +1

RickJ
08-19-2015, 07:49 AM
The only NON-ethanol gas I can get is premium, hence premium it is (the real answer is ANY grade non-ethanol!) When I can't get nonethanol, I use midgrade. I get violent when I think about the ethanol bullshit, hoax perpetrated on us by the farm lobby and knee-jerk antifossilfuel assholes in washington

opas ride
08-19-2015, 08:59 AM
+++1 on the Assholes in Washington...Most don't know their ass from a "hot-rock"...

lmbsrb7
08-19-2015, 12:57 PM
One more vote for non-ethanol, premium. I have always run premium in all my bikes. Small price difference but huge piece of mind difference. If there ever is a long term consequence from running lower octane; it will be too late to rectify the harm by the time I find out.

stevenolts
08-19-2015, 02:53 PM
That is good news / I was afraid the dealer told me wrong.
Thank you, Steve

unsub
08-19-2015, 03:27 PM
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?481-87-Octane-VS-93-Octane&highlight=octane

motozeke
08-19-2015, 10:24 PM
I live in the PRK, so I always use the EXPEN$IVE kind in this $tate because that is the only kind you can get. :yikes:

If SB-350 (a.k.a. :bendover: ) goes into effect to ration gas by 50%, it will probably be more $$$ in addition to being scarce.

I grew up in Southern California in the late 60's through the 70s, graduated high school in the early 80s. California defeated smog issues that were so bad there were many days during the summer where it was literally *not safe* to go outside and play. So we pay more for gas and put catalytic converters on our cars, BFD.

Sorry, it's just that the California hate gets under my skin sometimes.

Oh, and I run regular unleaded 100%.

ths61
08-19-2015, 11:00 PM
I grew up in Southern California in the late 60's through the 70s, graduated high school in the early 80s. California defeated smog issues that were so bad there were many days during the summer where it was literally *not safe* to go outside and play. So we pay more for gas and put catalytic converters on our cars, BFD.

Sorry, it's just that the California hate gets under my skin sometimes.

Oh, and I run regular unleaded 100%.

FWIW, every state that I have lived in outside of California has had catalytic converters since the 70's (even had yearly emissions checks since the 80's outside of CA) and some states are currently paying less than 1/2 for their gas. Don't you wonder (or know) where the other 50% $$$ is going in CA?

Also, can all CA commuters afford to have their gas rationed by 50% when no other state needs to ration gas at a time where there is a glut in the world supply?

Can all CA commuters afford $100,000 Teslas with huge obfuscated environmental impacts and tax subsidies (http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/01/19/tesla-motors-dirty-little-secret-is-a-major-proble.aspx) (i.e. trade one environmental impact for a much more costly one on the backs of the taxpayers)?

Will all CA employers allow their employees to work 50% less and keep their jobs and benefits or will they outsource their jobs (and company) out of state or out of the country?

Sorry to the OP, didn't want to hijack the thread.

Greg O
08-20-2015, 08:46 AM
I run BP or Shell premium 93 octane only because all the gas in Illinois has 10% ethanol in it. I figure it cost me an extra 2-3 dollars per fill up to run 93 octane, I can live with that.

RickJ
08-20-2015, 09:56 AM
I didn't see it mentioned here...the difference, as I understand it, is not that one grade is ANY better than another, but that the difference is the point at which each grade ignites under pressure. (http://engineering.mit.edu/ask/what%E2%80%99s-difference-between-premium-grade-and-regular-gasoline) if your engine isn't made for it, premium won't help it.

Finally, here's a link to a scholarly article search on the difference...I haven't checked out the articles but I'm sure they will be of great interest to those smarter than I.
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=difference+between+regular+and+premium+gas&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C33&as_sdtp=

seadog
08-20-2015, 11:47 AM
I run a good quality of gasoline, and I think that's more important than whether its 87,89, or 93. We have some garbage gasoline here in Michigan, Wesco being the worst. Crystal Flash and some other are just poor quality gas.
I always run Shell, BP, or Mobil. Those always run perfect even though I use 87 octane. 90% of the time is Shell which I am a firm believer in its quality.
I used to have a back and forth to work car. A little 4 cylinder and it was starting hard and when cold you would get out on the road and step on it and it would bog down and then take off, you stop at a stop light the whole car would shake. Poor mileage and lack of power were common. I ran it down to almost empty and put Shell regular in it and that car change so much in 3/4 of a mile from the station, I just couldn't believe it, It didn't shake when stopped,it had more power, it started up quick when cold and never bogged down when you stepped on it. It was like I bought a new car. After that everything I own runs on shell gas.

shooter
08-20-2015, 12:53 PM
I agree on the Shell Dog. BP is good also.

Dirtstiff's F6B
08-20-2015, 08:06 PM
92 limits the cold engine stall.
J

hardtail
08-20-2015, 09:07 PM
+1 for Shell.

shooter
08-21-2015, 06:45 AM
92 limits the cold engine stall.
J

I've said that before Dirt. My 13 has never had any issues with that.

Madmax
08-21-2015, 12:07 PM
91 to 93 , try and run shell or BP . Over the winter I switch to a ethanol free fuel in all my machines .

DaWadd
08-21-2015, 04:27 PM
Shell 87 most of the time.

Dirtstiff's F6B
08-29-2015, 10:31 PM
I've said that before Dirt. My 13 has never had any issues with that.

Ya,
So I think I said it in Nov. 2013.

cosborn
08-30-2015, 04:34 AM
We only have 91, 95 or 98 so i stick with the cheapest and use a higher octain every few tank fulls.

Chris

'gw-smiley''gw-smiley'

RickJ
08-30-2015, 06:04 AM
91 to 93 , try and run shell or BP . Over the winter I switch to a ethanol free fuel in all my machines .

Why only in winter?

Random one
10-26-2015, 10:17 AM
CountryMark! On my last bike the fuel mileage went down hill steadily until it was 15% down. Got two tanks of CountryMark fuel and on the last tank the mileage was back to normal. Forty-six miles to the gallon even with the heavy hand on the throttle. Bike idled better and accelerated better than it had ever. Turns out gas in Louisville has alcohol and another chemical in it to reduce emissions. It makes me wonder how do you reduce emissions while causing higher consumption per mile? The other chemical must be a form of oxygen bearing fuel. I would prefer Nitro-Methane over what ever they are using. A performance enhancer and mileage improver.

http://www.countrymark.com/countrymark/AboutUs/NewsReleases/tabid/169/Post/989

VStarRider
10-26-2015, 01:41 PM
The only NON-ethanol gas I can get is premium, hence premium it is (the real answer is ANY grade non-ethanol!) When I can't get nonethanol, I use midgrade. I get violent when I think about the ethanol bullshit, hoax perpetrated on us by the farm lobby and knee-jerk antifossilfuel assholes in washington

Rick, not sure if Fastrac is in Cooperstown, but around here (Rochester area) the newest Fastrac stations are offering 87 octane ethanol free, for about 30 cents more per gallon than regular 87 with ethanol. That's cheaper than buying their 91 octane ethanol free, which is usually 50 cents more per gallon.

For the record, I run ethanol free fuel in any equipment that has a carburetor (boat, mowers, one of my sleds), but regular 87 with ethanol on any fuel-injected (bike, cars).

Madmax
10-26-2015, 02:34 PM
I switch over to the ethanol free during the winter months when I'm not using the bikes , The pump gas that contains up to 10% ethanol starts breaking down after 3 months and the ethanol fuel absorbs water , depending on where you buy your fuel is a crap shoot on the tanks you can have water allready absorbed in the fuel and sitting in your tank ... shit fuel thats out there really sucks .
All my Carburated machines I'm running 100LL Avation fuel works great , its a low lead so is good in anything non fuel injected that has no Cat .

seadog
10-26-2015, 07:59 PM
I have always worried more about quality. Gas isn't on an even par across the board, some of it is down right garbage, sticking to the quality insures your engine will run right and stay clean thru the fuel system and also increased the longevity over any motor that is running junk for fuel, I stick pretty close to shell, BP, or Mobil.

BEIST
10-27-2015, 12:01 AM

I add an ounce of StarTron to every fill-up to keep the ethanol from degrading the elastomers. Costs me an extra $3.00 a fill-up but should certainly pay off in the long run.

I thought I had to run 93 octane but will now switch over to 87 which will now pay for my StarTron additive. Unfortunately, I can't find pure gas near me (in PA) anymore.

Baytown
10-27-2015, 12:40 AM
95 in Australia, as per the Honda manual and sticker.
I normally run 98RON in my bikes, and its actually easier to find up Nth than 95.
For the life of me, I dont understand why we have different fuel RON recommendations than US spec. That would be 91 RON here as its the lowest we have.
Ken

VStarRider
10-27-2015, 05:16 AM

I add an ounce of StarTron to every fill-up to keep the ethanol from degrading the elastomers. Costs me an extra $3.00 a fill-up but should certainly pay off in the long run.

I thought I had to run 93 octane but will now switch over to 87 which will now pay for my StarTron additive. Unfortunately, I can't find pure gas near me (in PA) anymore.

+1…I use StarTron in carbureted equipment when not using ethanol-free…and as a fuel stabilizer.

shooter
10-27-2015, 08:56 AM
I have always worried more about quality. Gas isn't on an even par across the board, some of it is down right garbage, sticking to the quality insures your engine will run right and stay clean thru the fuel system and also increased the longevity over any motor that is running junk for fuel, I stick pretty close to shell, BP, or Mobil.

You guys with the Star Tron every fill up and worried about ethanol. Most of your concerns are unfounded. Yeah if its gonna sit in the winter you need something and an additive every five or six tanks will certainly keep the system in good working order. You're paranoid about ethanol and yet that's all we have in MO. It doesn't seem to bother anything. Been using it for years. Most important , like Seadog said , look for quality. Shell , BP , Mobil , Sunoco that's where you will find quality fuel.

Madmax
10-27-2015, 10:02 AM
There is no way around running ethanol in the fuel , I have a freind that works at the sunoco processing plant in delaware , they stopped cracking fuel over 5 years ago they just buy the cheapest fuel on the market .
They would blend the ethanol in when filling the trucks , the percent of ethanol would vary . I have removed ethanol from fuel , I got the best results in fuel quallity from shell 93 . I have posted pics in the past on here and you could see all the scum the ethanol picks up .
That fuel is very hydroscopic , my biggest concern what that fuel soaks up .
After I separate the ethanol , I run the fuel threw a calcium filtaration and a 1 micron filter .
Thats way over kill for every day use but makes you think about what station you buy your fuel from .
As far as the additives I don't think they do anything , I have had my best results adding 2 stroke oil never had a problem .
As I said any non injected machine gets 100ll and for the 5.50 a gallon its a pretty good alterturnative .

stevenolts
11-02-2015, 03:20 PM
I run only 87 Shell or Mobile if available.

My bike has been running great for the 12000 miles I have had it. I don't even get a cold stumble or anything. This morning was 38 degrees and it ran great right out of the drive way. I know you should warm it up etc... but I never have on anything I own. I have a 99 Honda Accord with 180,000 miles, an 2001 Acura TL with 193,000 miles, a 2003 Honda Odyssey with 170,000 miles and they all run great. The only one that requires a warm up is my 1981 Honda CB750K which only has 6000 miles and it was like that when it was brand new when I bought it back in 1981. (all carbs require choke until warm)

I run stabil in the 1981 Honda CB750K only because I don't ride all the way through the tank in a few days. (sometimes / winter could be 3 months)

I have never run any Stabil or Seafoam in the F6B. I will ride this through the winter at least once every other week for a least 45 min to an hour. If I don't have 45 min to an hour I will not even start it. I did this with my HD Fatboy and it always ran great. Never leave them sit in the garage without exercising them. They get lonely and run bad out of spite.

Should I run a little Seafoam to clean the fuel injectors every so often?
Steve

leroysch
11-02-2015, 10:48 PM
Regular
Some call it tough love.....

hardtail
11-03-2015, 09:37 AM
I run 87 octane Shell or Sunoco. HD"s take 91. Last months trip to Daytona was 30-35% cheaper on fuel than before.(2300+ miles) An added plus I hadn't considered when I bought this bike.

BEIST
11-04-2015, 02:43 AM
Started using regular gas and the bike runs strong. Real happy that I read this thread. Thanks guys!

Dirtstiff's F6B
11-04-2015, 10:42 PM
Premium and no cold stumble. and all the other gas on the left coast sucks..

J

Zteve
11-06-2016, 07:47 AM
I just received my service manual and can't seem to find the US octane requirement. You'd think it would be in the Specs. but it's not. Anyone know what page this is on? I've been using 87 as stated by the forum and most members. Just wanted to see it in print in my new 2" thick Service Manual.
Thanks

Casper96
11-06-2016, 09:48 AM
I run BP or Shell premium 93 octane only because all the gas in Illinois has 10% ethanol in it. I figure it cost me an extra 2-3 dollars per fill up to run 93 octane, I can live with that.

The guys in service and the dealer I bought mine from said they would use the 93 as well. We probably have gone to the same one for our stuff so I am sure you probably know who they are...

lloydmoore1
11-06-2016, 09:59 AM
I just received my service manual and can't seem to find the US octane requirement. You'd think it would be in the Specs. but it's not. Anyone know what page this is on?
Thanks

My owners manual here up north in Canada on page 220 says an octane of 86 or higher.
I put regular in mine..87 octane and I figure why pay for something you don't need. The ecu and programming will adjust the fuel for you so no worries just ride. I have 43000 on mine and can honestly say I have never heard my engine ping so all good.

VStarRider
11-06-2016, 10:44 AM
+1.

87 octane is fine. My fallback - Honda recommends it and they offer a seven-year warranty...and the recommendation remains the same. If they thought there was any threat of long-term harm using 87 octane 10% ethanol fuel, I am sure they would change that recommendation to prevent the Honda checkbook from coming out....plus the associated reputation.

This big flat-six...we love it...but it is a simple motor that does not run hot or at high rpm or under load very often. These are the conditions that tend to require slow-burning, higher octane fuel.

I love Grey Goose...but my liver still processes it the same way as Svedka.

IIRC, the manual does suggest using an additive for longer-term storage, so I do what I am told. I also start using non-ethanol fuel (87 non-octane available here) around late October along with some Startron in prep for storage.

six2go
11-06-2016, 10:52 AM
CountryMark! On my last bike the fuel mileage went down hill steadily until it was 15% down. Got two tanks of CountryMark fuel and on the last tank the mileage was back to normal. Forty-six miles to the gallon even with the heavy hand on the throttle. Bike idled better and accelerated better than it had ever. Turns out gas in Louisville has alcohol and another chemical in it to reduce emissions. It makes me wonder how do you reduce emissions while causing higher consumption per mile? The other chemical must be a form of oxygen bearing fuel. I would prefer Nitro-Methane over what ever they are using. A performance enhancer and mileage improver.

http://www.countrymark.com/countrymark/AboutUs/NewsReleases/tabid/169/Post/989

We also have Country Mark up here in the Northern part of Indiana. It is rated as a "Top Tier" product, but only the Premium is Ethanol free. I use CM from time to time but only the Regular grade. Country Mark, Shell, BP, Phillips 66 are what I stick with and I can't tell a bit of difference in any of them.

seventwenty
11-06-2016, 11:22 AM
I just received my service manual and can't seem to find the US octane requirement. You'd think it would be in the Specs. but it's not. Anyone know what page this is on? I've been using 87 as stated by the forum and most members. Just wanted to see it in print in my new 2" thick Service Manual.
Thanks

Page 136: 86 octane or higher. It's also stated in the quick reference on the next to last page of the manual.

This is a 2013 manual so a newer one may be different. Check under fuel in the index.

Zteve
11-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Page 136: 86 octane or higher. It's also stated in the quick reference on the next to last page of the manual.

This is a 2013 manual so a newer one may be different. Check under fuel in the index.

Mine has an issue date of 2014 and has 26 individual sections plus the Electrical Manual. So it's a little different than yours. Still can't find it but thanks.

seventwenty
11-06-2016, 11:42 PM
Mine has an issue date of 2014 and has 26 individual sections plus the Electrical Manual. So it's a little different than yours. Still can't find it but thanks.

Oops,:icon_redface:, I was looking at the "owners manual".

Mr.Roberts
11-07-2016, 07:34 AM
Here in Oz we have 91, 95, 98 I have used all and found no real difference.
So I stick with 91 and about every third fill use 95 or 98 just to make me feel better.

MotoMike
11-12-2016, 11:06 AM
Low compression motors dont enjoy the benefit of high octane fuels. Higher compression motors benefit due to higher anti-knock ratings associated with higher octane ratings. 87 octane Pemex Baja cactus juice works fine in our motors. Its designed to.. I used to run bluegas in my blown 5 liter Stang and my Gixxers, but the motors were hi-comp or forced induction and thrived on it. but I also worked as an A&P on an airport and had free access to it. Dont run it in anything with a converter. Toast. Concerned about water and dirt from the bottom of storage tanks? Buy only at stations that sell high volume, their fuel isnt sitting around waiting to be sold. And buy only quality-Chevron or Shell. Just sayin'.....