PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Indians

Scotrod
08-04-2013, 11:51 AM
I like all kinds of MC's but the Indians were just never my 'cup of tea'.
As of last night, the 2014 (Polaris made) Indians are out.
Anybody here going to buy one?

chipmaker
08-04-2013, 12:03 PM
I'll wait a year and then add the chief vintage to my F6B. That 111 sounds good.

Texas TC
08-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Like all Polaris motorcycles, it is fugly! I never cared for the nostalgic appearance that was attempted by all the companies that tried to resurrect the Indian. I'll stay with the modern styling of my F6B. I had old school styling with my 10 Harley's. Never again.

Scotrod
08-04-2013, 03:12 PM
On other forums, the camps are divided,,,, either ya like em a lot or ya don't. The Vic guys are probably the most appreciative, as they 'are' Polaris.
Interestingly enough, the most 'likes' are for the fairing-equipped bike, which in a way looks the least like "an Indian"

Other than the very popular Streetglide and semi-popular Roadglide, HD has refused to update the appearance of their touring bikes. Maybe HD and Indian can now compete for the most antique- looking bike. I say let 'em have at it,,, I'm headed the other direction!

Trike lady
08-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Where I work I have seen a few vintage Indians and would rather have one of those if I had the money.
This 1945 is completing restoration and an interested buyer has already looked at it and as soon as it's done will be taking it home.
Another thing manufacturers need to look at is the younger riders who are getting older, they may not want their grandpa's bike and the F6B is not grandpa's Goldwing.

Gumby
08-05-2013, 06:26 AM
I thought tonight at 9 eastern on the history channel was the big unveiling.

They are out already?

chipmaker
08-05-2013, 06:52 AM
yep... sexy...

http://cdn.polaris.com/ind/2014/img/vehicles/cvqny9bc522lw2okjah/detail/media_viewer/photos_large/photos_large_5.jpg

Scotrod
08-05-2013, 08:17 AM
I hear ya on the "grandpa's bike", but the bikes I think of when I hear "Indian" were great-grandpa or even great-great-grandpa bikes! :shock:

The average age of a F6B owner is right at 50,,, (according to the poll on this forum) I'm '~average~',,, Just not feeling a need for anything that looks older than me! LOL!

The 111 does sound nice,,,

Gumby
08-07-2013, 07:47 AM
I was disappointed, especially in the bagger. Victory sure knows how to do ugly.

Be nice if they did something a little differently from the last three Indian rebirths.

I'd love see an Indian four. But maybe without all the fenders.

Scotrod
08-07-2013, 10:39 AM
I'm kinda befuddled about why Vic didn't go ahead and 'do whatever they wanted' (as 'Indian' now claims), and why Polaris decided that creating/reviving a different 'identity' other than that of Victory was going to help sell bikes.

Is there really a mass of buyers out there who don't want a Vic (made by Polaris), don't want a Vic (made by Polaris) that looks like an old Indian, but DO want a Indian (made by Polaris) that looks like an old Indian? :icon_doh:

Is the emblem on the tank (bought, not earned!) really THAT important?

I honestly considered a Vic before I put $$$ down on my F6B. Visiting the Vic forums and hearing about poor Customer Service, and 'gremlins' in several areas of development/QC was enough to lead me back to Honda.

Gumby
08-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Brand marketing is that important with the people that Polaris is going after. They'll make enough in clothing sales to make it worth doing.

I wonder what they took from the John Bloor Triumphs? That you don't have to make the same old bike or that you'll eventually end up there anyway?

Bike44
08-07-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm kinda befuddled about why Vic didn't go ahead and 'do whatever they wanted' (as 'Indian' now claims), and why Polaris decided that creating/reviving a different 'identity' other than that of Victory was going to help sell bikes.

Is there really a mass of buyers out there who don't want a Vic (made by Polaris), don't want a Vic (made by Polaris) that looks like an old Indian, but DO want a Indian (made by Polaris) that looks like an old Indian? :icon_doh:

Is the emblem on the tank (bought, not earned!) really THAT important?

I honestly considered a Vic before I put $$$ down on my F6B. Visiting the Vic forums and hearing about poor Customer Service, and 'gremlins' in several areas of development/QC was enough to lead me back to Honda.

I once owned a Victory Vision the story goes. Very comfortable, industrial build quality (unlike Honda and Yamaha), and ran ok. Support was relatively poorer than other brands, parts more expensive, depreciation horrendous. They are best bought and valued used. Oh, and Victory stuffs the Vision's AM/FM whip antenna inside the front cowl next to the metal frame/fairing where it hears lots of local electrics and little else.

Indian's 'becoming a dealer" website: http://www.indianmotorcyclepride.com/en-us/indian-pride/2012/pages/home.aspx Spend or have available $750K and up, and expect a profit maybe within three years after the initial commitment the local Polaris folks were allegedly told. They do have nice gathering tables and such to populate the showroom. I was hoping for a platform mule that could be started and ridden stationary on rollers during winter months, but no frijoles.

Scotrod
08-07-2013, 03:27 PM
industrial build quality (unlike Honda and Yamaha),

I.B.D.,,,,, meaning,,, as refined as a brick-bat, or,,,, as strong as steel???? (I'm not wearing my crush washer today, might be affecting the blood supply to my noggin!)

Bike44
08-07-2013, 03:55 PM
industrial build quality (unlike Honda and Yamaha),

I.B.D.,,,,, meaning,,, as refined as a brick-bat, or,,,, as strong as steel???? (I'm not wearing my crush washer today, might be affecting the blood supply to my noggin!)

First one, maybe both actually. Think Mid-Western farming implements and their associated hardware. Sturdy, built to last, a bit beef prone like their women. I'm from that country so can say that with impunity as the blood of farmers and agriculturalists flows through my veins.

HD is similar. Built from parts bins to suit and change the image as required. The Japanese mainly, and to some extent the Europeans, tend to finesse their builds better in my opinion. Dig deep into the internals and see the reason and beauty of a fastener or wiring loom. Pride and honor in the product driven by a culture that demands the best and happiness in ownership.

Now BMW is having real problems with their recent offerings as far as component reliability. I believe it to be due to contracted parts suppliers not meeting the designer's standards. Think Airbus built in several countries by different hands, but without the strict QC required of things that fall down when they quit.

Scotrod
08-07-2013, 08:27 PM
I'm from that country so can say that with impunity as the blood of farmers and agriculturalists flows through my veins.

X2. Headed back to Iowa soon for my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary. (Wife and I won't live long enough to see that ourselves,, We were both 'late bloomers' LOL!)

Yes sir!!! Them IA gals can be a bit 'well-fed, but solid' at times,,, (Some more solid than others!) I moved to TX in my early 20's,,, Saw daisy-dukes and TANS,,, Oh my! :icon_biggrin:

Frontier509
08-16-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm 51 and never have been a fan of the vintage tin look, before my time.
All car and bike impressions were left on me in the late 60's and through the mid 70's.
I think the bike "Captain America" from Easy Rider is the most beautiful chopper or bike ever built even to this day. It was an icon of the period.
The rake and lines were perfect and it spoke of freedom.
I think the 68-70 big block Dodge Charger is the pinnacle of muscle car design of the era. Again the lines, the engines, everything about it was perfect.
Evel Knievel was my childhood hero.
Red White and Blue..

There's something though about that Indian Chieftain..
Perhaps it speaks to me of growing up in Gallup New Mexico in that time period and seeing Santa Fe Railroad's "Super Chief" run through town every evening.
Maybe it's the idea of a new but old American built bike making a comeback.
Maybe it's just good news with our country seeming to be in so much turmoil and it celebrates the designs of past and hope for the future.

I'm an engine guy and that new mill is a work of art.
Can't wait to ride one..

Hat's off to Indian!

Bike44
08-16-2013, 04:39 PM
It's mentioned above, and been discussed at length elsewhere: how can the new Indian line be so good looking and possess nice useable tech stuff from the engine to the electronics, and the Victory line be like they are...somewhat blah and dated?

By that I mean they're to me not the best they could have been. Styling, design, execution are durable but...and I'm searching for a kind word...maybe unexciting? It just seems they let their contracted designers go too far and stay too long.

They never seriously challenged the competition. They can't give them away where I live without a discount (the dealer's words, not mine). And they depreciate quickly. I bought a new Vision for over $6K off list, and while it was a good ride while I owned it, it was let go in favor of something else for lack of interest on my part.

The new Indian looks and sounds good. I hope they prove to be what they appear to be.