PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and Considering One--Can you Be Frank About Issues?

Pseudo-Fed
08-24-2015, 09:25 AM
I read through about 28 pages of the general board last night while awaiting approval of my registration. I also searched for recalls on the bike in all 3 years and did not find any.

I saw paint issues, and final drive oil level. Noted. I also saw a couple things about slow wobble at 40ish mph when decelerating with hands off bars. Funny, I remember that with my 2009 ST1300 also.

I consider these minor. I'm interested in, I think, a 2015 deluxe (why not!?). Haven't decided on matt silver or blue--need to see them in person, but leaning toward the matt finish since it's puuurdy, and most say the paint is holding up well.

I'm 5'9", 30" inseam, 51 years old. Started riding in 2008. Have done the MSF classes, and my riding experience is in the DFW area, so it counts X2…..8-)

Bikes I've had and sold (some cases traded) include:

2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 custom
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (only bike down on side slowly while parking after foot on pile of wet leaves)
2007 Honda VTX 1800F (pretty heavy for its size)
2009 Yamaha FZ6 (x2 Sold one and missed it so bought another)
2010 Yamaha FZ1
2012(?) Honda PCX150 Scooter
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
2014 Yamaha FZ9

I sold the FJR a few months ago and sold the FZ9 last weekend. I'm bike less and thinking I want the pinnacle of cruisers. Wifey says she'll ride here and there with me, but only cared to do that on the VTX--didn't like seat height on other bikes.

I'm looking for a list of potential issues that I may have missed--so I know and can have the dealer consider them if needed or just for general awareness. I know there is no perfect bike.

Thanks!

Fla_rider
08-24-2015, 09:33 AM
Welcome to the forum first off!

The 2015 Grey models are leaving the showroom floor a lot quicker than the blue ones. I prefer the Blue however. The bike doesn't have many negatives. If you can get the Dealer to throw things in, there are many farkles to add. Start with seat (I happen to like stock) then everyone changes the windscreen. Look up accessories this topic has come up many times! Long list.

lmbsrb7
08-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Welcome Pseudo. Some of the worst traffic jams I've ever been a part of occurred In the Fort Worth area. I certainly respect your riding experience if you are navigating that area on a regular basis. I just purchased my blue 2015 in July. I love the color and get lots of comments. Stick with the '15 and factory cruise control. Prioritize your upgrades. I am very happy with the 6mm V-Stream shield. I've had no negative issues so can't help there. Honda has been great taking care of warranty issues on my past Goldwings. Good Luck!!

dickiedeals
08-24-2015, 10:09 AM
.welcome20. From the East Coast of Sunny Florida...:th_sunbathe:.Can't go wrong with the 15 in any color............Dickie

Dirtstiff's F6B
08-24-2015, 10:13 AM
Beside the worthless oem windshield, the only complaint after 2 years of ownership, comes from my passenger who doesn't like sitting above the driver, which is common with most metric bikes and requires a tall windshield - which I dislike the look of and looking through.

Other than that, with the usual comfort items like handlebar risers and foot boards, this bike has been perfect.
J

F6B1911
08-24-2015, 11:25 AM
The only issue I addressed was the shorty windshield, went with the Madstad system, it's an awesome ride every time I turn the key.

Phantom
08-24-2015, 11:36 AM
... CRAMPING and wrinkles ... from that lonnnnnng cheesy grin that results from turning the throttle :shrug: :icon_mrgreen:

opas ride
08-24-2015, 05:01 PM
Nothing new most has been posted above..I am about your size, only 20 years older, and have a Baggershield windshield, lower Mustang seat, and Cobra pipes for a little different look/sound...No issues with rear gear oil or the "wobble" some have with hands off the bars, which is just plain "dumb" in my opinion....Great bike and love the thing..Had a tech adjust my rear suspension about half-way up the scale and the bike seems to ride/handle much better...Ride safe....

gmorstad
08-24-2015, 05:31 PM
I read through about 28 pages of the general board last night while awaiting approval of my registration. I also searched for recalls on the bike in all 3 years and did not find any.

I saw paint issues, and final drive oil level. Noted. I also saw a couple things about slow wobble at 40ish mph when decelerating with hands off bars. Funny, I remember that with my 2009 ST1300 also.

I consider these minor. I'm interested in, I think, a 2015 deluxe (why not!?). Haven't decided on matt silver or blue--need to see them in person, but leaning toward the matt finish since it's puuurdy, and most say the paint is holding up well.

I'm 5'9", 30" inseam, 51 years old. Started riding in 2008. Have done the MSF classes, and my riding experience is in the DFW area, so it counts X2…..8-)

Bikes I've had and sold (some cases traded) include:

2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 custom
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (only bike down on side slowly while parking after foot on pile of wet leaves)
2007 Honda VTX 1800F (pretty heavy for its size)
2009 Yamaha FZ6 (x2 Sold one and missed it so bought another)
2010 Yamaha FZ1
2012(?) Honda PCX150 Scooter
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
2014 Yamaha FZ9

I sold the FJR a few months ago and sold the FZ9 last weekend. I'm bike less and thinking I want the pinnacle of cruisers. Wifey says she'll ride here and there with me, but only cared to do that on the VTX--didn't like seat height on other bikes.

I'm looking for a list of potential issues that I may have missed--so I know and can have the dealer consider them if needed or just for general awareness. I know there is no perfect bike.

Thanks!

I came from the ST1300 as well and started with the Vulcan 900 Classic LT 6 years ago. I was really thinking hard about how much more the F6B is worth over the ST. It was only when the F6B price dropped drastically that I decided to get the 2013 and sell the ST. I have to say now, even though I didn't think so at the time, the F6B is worth the extra money after selling the ST. I tried numerous bikes keeping an open mind but really nothing compared to the F6B and in my opinion after owning it since spring nothing does compare. It is a fantastic motorcycle.

bigdawg
08-24-2015, 05:34 PM
It's a Goldwing. It has been around for a long time. No surprises left.

ths61
08-24-2015, 05:39 PM
If you get a '15 with OEM cruise, make sure the cruise is adjusted properly from the dealership. Some here have reported lag issues which are caused by improper adjustments.

Pseudo-Fed
08-24-2015, 07:08 PM
If you get a '15 with OEM cruise, make sure the cruise is adjusted properly from the dealership. Some here have reported lag issues which are caused by improper adjustments.

Thanks. That's a shame. The cruise on my 2013 FJR was highly regarded. Once set it kept exact, and individual presses on + or - yielded exactly 1 mph adjustments. Superb speed maintaining on hills and wind also….

How do they adjust? And what do you mean by lag? Slow response to accelerate after slowing up a hill for example?

Ridlikhel
08-24-2015, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=gmorstad;92838]I came from the ST1300 as well and started with the Vulcan 900 Classic LT 6 years ago. I was really thinking hard about how much more the F6B is worth over the ST. It was only when the F6B price dropped drastically that I decided to get the 2013 and sell the ST. I have to say now, even though I didn't think so at the time, the F6B is worth the extra money after selling the ST. I tried numerous bikes keeping an open mind but really nothing compared to the F6B and in my opinion after owning it since spring nothing does compare. It is a fantastic motorcycle.[/QUOTE

X2

I also changed from the ST1300 and love it.

JackB
08-24-2015, 10:16 PM
I had Valkyrie's for years and then I bought a ST 1300 I only had it for a year and traded in on a F6B. Great bike.'gw-smiley''gw-smiley''riding''riding'

Rudy
08-24-2015, 10:42 PM
I had a Valkyrie for twelve years and enjoyed every mile on it, but...... the f6B is just amazing. The most common two issues I see that have to be addressed are the windshield and the seat. Get those two things to work for you and life is good on the B.

seadog
08-25-2015, 06:30 AM
Thanks. That's a shame. The cruise on my 2013 FJR was highly regarded. Once set it kept exact, and individual presses on + or - yielded exactly 1 mph adjustments. Superb speed maintaining on hills and wind also….

How do they adjust? And what do you mean by lag? Slow response to accelerate after slowing up a hill for example?

Most of the new ones have as much as a 6 mph hour lag, meaning when you set the cruise it drops up to 6 mph and then goes back up to your setting. This is adjustable by a cable adjustment down along the right side of the handle bars. There was a thread on how to adjust it but if your buying new its much easier to have the dealer do it. The cruise after it gets thru the lag and goes back up to your setting is rock solid on where you set it, but the lag is a hassle you don't need.

dumbpartsguy
08-25-2015, 07:13 AM
I came to my F6B from a Harley and I have never been more impressed than I am now. I absolutely LOVE mine. Have also had a couple of Vulcan 1500's ( Nomad and a Classic). By far, the F6B IS the best. You won't be disappointed.

Cheesyryder
08-25-2015, 09:38 AM
Can't say enough times, Buy this Bike!! 13,000 miles (no final drive oil issue here) and paint sucks-but I spend time thinking up a new paint scheme:icon_biggrin:

Pseudo-Fed
08-25-2015, 09:44 AM
Most of the new ones have as much as a 6 mph hour lag, meaning when you set the cruise it drops up to 6 mph and then goes back up to your setting. This is adjustable by a cable adjustment down along the right side of the handle bars. There was a thread on how to adjust it but if your buying new its much easier to have the dealer do it. The cruise after it gets thru the lag and goes back up to your setting is rock solid on where you set it, but the lag is a hassle you don't need.

Oh, thanks. That's not as bad as I was thinking. It maintains set speed but has unnecessary drop in speed and delay in resuming. I'll note that in case I get a '15. Thank you sir.

Pseudo-Fed
08-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Appreciate the responses so far. My latest ride for last few months was the teeny weeny Yamaha FZ09. Beast of a triple. Unbelievable acceleration. I made her a "bagger" with an aftermarket Shad bag install, which made her as wide maybe as the F6B. But light and easy to push around. Naked bike for easy access. The F6B will be a shock since Honda covers up stuff better than anybody….

Texas TC
08-25-2015, 11:36 AM
Howdy neighbor. I have been riding over 50 years and the F6B is the best bike I have owned. Only warning I will give you is the accessories you WILL spend money on after the initial purchase. Nothing like what ai spent on my 10 Harleys but there are great options out there for windshields, exhausts, seats, pegs, etc., etc. etc. I think you will enjoy riding the bike. I have over 30,000 miles on my 2013 model and have enjoyed every one of them.

SmallPasture
08-25-2015, 12:00 PM
The only issue I addressed was the shorty windshield, went with the Madstad system, it's an awesome ride every time I turn the key.

+1 :yes::yes::yes:

grendl
08-25-2015, 03:48 PM
I started on a 100cc Honda then a 67 Norton 750 Atlas which was not fast but taught me handling,then a 500 Yamaha,then an XS eleven, 650 KAW, a Concours then my beloved Hurricane CBR1000F,
Each of them were great at what they did but my F6B is the love of my life.
You wont regret it.
I may be the only one that has not changed the shorty windshield ,even after riding through rainstorms-one that followed me for about 300 miles,high winds, cold and heat.I just like the wind in my face(full helmet)
I do have a list of things I'd like to add -went with PIAA low beams which work better. (HIDs if they fail). An under belly pan,lower lights that fit the cowling .Looking at auxiliary LEDs from Creed (expensive but I like my night rides in the mountains) and maybe a Mustang seat.
On the seat,mine acted like it was going to break my spine at first.then after about 1500 miles it broke in and i have absolutely no problem in comfort on long runs.I am only looking at the Mustang for the look of it.
I'll say again,I love this bike !

Greg O
08-25-2015, 07:38 PM
Welcome to the forum and hopefully soon a F6B. I came from almost 20 of riding Harleys. The only short comings I find with the F6B is you will want a different windshield, the audio lacks the sound quality I am use to with the Harleys ( I like to rock out when I ride ), and the exhaust note could be deeper ( no it's not a Harley and I don't want it to sound like one) but I would like a deeper throatier sound. This is just my opinion and all can be changed if you choose to. Ride quality is outstanding and minimal maintenance is great. Oh and I forgot to mention how easy it is to clean, just wipe it down with a damp rag. Enjoy your ride when you get it and I am partial to the 2015 Blue.

richw56
08-25-2015, 08:06 PM
Welcome!
Unlike most here, I'm fine with the stock shorty windshield. Probably because I've never had a windshield in the 39 years I've been riding, and I've been using nothing but full face helmets since 1983. I'm just accustomed to that configuration.
Two things I'd recommend: 1) highway pegs of some sort or another, so you can stretch out from time to time on longer rides (I use the Rivco flip-outs, and love them), and 2) IF you decide to keep the stock seat, get the extender from Ultimate Seats to raise the passenger backrest a few inches - makes the ride significantly more comfortable for the passenger, and the extender only costs $40 or $45 - super easy installation, and well worth the few bucks it costs.
I've had no problems with the bike.
I've even been lucky with the paint - I have a '14 yellow deluxe, and the paint job seems to be holding up perfectly well.
You're getting a great ride - have fun!

Cool Hand Luke
08-25-2015, 08:51 PM
Welcome to the land of permagrin!

These are great, reliable and very enjoyable bikes. Issues are really small, like the paint. I find it OK, my bike is 2013 and looks great when cleaned and polished. I get compliments and questions about it all the time.

As with any bike, you will spend extra money to make it yours. Seat, windshield, pegs, etc. are usually changed/added by most here, but only you can figure what suits your needs after you start living with it for a while.

The most important thing is that you like it. Test ride is a must.

In my opinion this bike is meant to be ridden, not just looked at. It wil get you where you're going and back in comfort and great speed. But also be ready to answer a lot of questions from bystanders, bikers and nonbikers alike.

And huge plus is this Board! Great people and great info, I guess you know that already.

willtill
08-26-2015, 05:02 AM
i can attest to the F6B being noticed by others; and questions being asked about it. It seems to generate the same interest and curiosity as the Triumph Rocket 3 classic I traded in for it.

Am quite surprised about the interest by others when they see it; to me it's "meh, it's just a Goldwing that has been slightly modified" but to others... they act like they've never seen the likes of one before.

Go figure. :shrug:

JetBlackWing
08-26-2015, 03:39 PM
I'm coming from (3 last bikes) a Yamaha 920 Virago, a Honda VTX1300, and a Yamaha Stratoliner 1900 (still have). For me and the F6b, issues are the short windshield (and I'm on the short side) and toe shifter being abit too low (and I have a smaller foot to begin with) it's not as easy to insert the foot into its proper location, and the overpriced backrest assembly (Honda's is the only one I have seen that I can live with, and BTW, I still looking for a less expensive used on. Good Luck on you choice

fxdl2051
08-26-2015, 11:56 PM
Wow, I thought I was cautious in my choices. Haven't had any issues, except for the Shit/Shinola black paint, useless chopped ws and gas milage with a lo of 35mpg. Still, the most awesome bike I've owned in 30 years of riding.

Spanky
08-27-2015, 05:44 AM
Welcome!
So the paint can be fixed with liquid glass. But the 15 has no issues from what I've heard.
The wobble was fixed on mine when I changed tires and removed the balance weight.

I have no other issues. It's the best bike I have owned.
Pull the trigger and we will see you in franklin!

Old Ryder
08-27-2015, 12:44 PM
3 minutes to fill the tank and 17 minutes answering questions from everybody else getting gas.

Necessary for me was
1-Windshield--went with Madstad
2-Seat--- Ultimate King Boy-- 6'1" at 250 and 32' inseam I also needed
3-Risers-- I also got Helibars for "adjustable-ness"to bring the bars back and
4-pegs-- to get the feet out in front

Not necessary was lots of lights and trinkets--- just because

The paint is not an issue to me because every other part of the bike is awesome--

racer
08-27-2015, 04:38 PM
I thought I loved my F6B until last night.

Finally ran up against a fast HD, we went at it from a 30 mph roll. I led him until fourth gear when he caught me and pulled ahead by about 15 feet, we both hit 5th and there we stayed, 15 feet apart to 116 mph when he let off so I did as well. Neither of us were gaining or losing an inch.

Repeated the test once more with exactly the same result. He thought he was letting up at 120.

I am now MADLY in love with this thing. A stone stock F6B, all 800 lbs plus of factory bagger, losing by 15 feet to an after-market 131" Jims V-twin stuffed into a heritage soft tail. A $12,000 upgrade with labor.

My God! I thought that beast would just leave me in the dust. But the humble 6 just hung right there with it.

AMAZING!

And the witness, a 2007 110" CVO was so far behind he couldn't tell who was leading who and absolutely amazed that the 131" didn't run away and hide from me!

I hope to get him to the local 1/8 mile drag strip. I don't think he can win there.

ddoug
08-27-2015, 08:28 PM
For my wife ; the back seat of the F6B is the best of all the past bikes we have had. Your wife might want to go riding more often.

Our two up riding is great!

No issues with my 2013.

Pseudo-Fed
08-29-2015, 09:40 PM
My thanks to all who took time to tell me about all the problems with this bike…….8-) Took my second test ride today on an F6B. This one a 2015 blue deluxe. Bought it. Look for my "Look What Followed me Home…." Thread for pricing, crappy pics for now, and more pics later….. Got what I think was a great deal…. Okay, fine. Here's one pic:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/Pseudo-Fed/Motorcycles/F6B/BF2D85B7-2484-472B-9CC4-C0C606698202_zpsqi5ime1p.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Pseudo-Fed/media/Motorcycles/F6B/BF2D85B7-2484-472B-9CC4-C0C606698202_zpsqi5ime1p.jpg.html)