PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT SAFETY CONCERN

Injun Joe
08-24-2015, 04:18 PM
A facebook buddy of mine posted the enclosed picture. It seems a couple lug nuts came loose and/or sheared on his F6B. A search pulled up at least one other owner with the same problem. Nothing from Honda on it though. I for one will be checking my lug nuts!

willtill
08-24-2015, 05:36 PM
Ufff... that's not good. Was this a new bike from a stealership? Or was it an older bike that had the wheel removed before; for a new shoe?

Always check your nuts. :icon_mrgreen:

What's the torque on said nuts? Anyone?

F6bisnext
08-24-2015, 05:45 PM
I looked all over the manual and found "rear wheel nuts" 80 lbf-ft. Saw nothing on the front. Do we assume the same?

naga viper
08-24-2015, 06:17 PM
NEVER ass-ume! Pun intended
Check the Web for torque specs.

bob109
08-24-2015, 06:23 PM
Real wheel lug nut torque is 80lb ft per the Owners Manual and Factory Service Manual:039:

Lug nut wrench size...deep well socket 3/4" or 19mm:icon_wink:

Injun Joe
08-24-2015, 07:53 PM
"Never touched bike has 7000 miles Mark Neargarder"

Ericb445
08-24-2015, 08:28 PM
I seen this on the GoldWing page on facebook as well.
He said it happened while riding the bike with less than 7k on clock OE tires.
He said two other lugs where loose and he noticed it because he had a strange wobble at 10mph.:shrug:
I am following it, He was asking if this was going to be a warranty repair.
I sure hope so.

shooter
08-24-2015, 08:33 PM
Yeah I saw that also. You never know. I've had my rear wheel off four times at 4000 miles. I retorqued to 85/lbs. Tighten diagonally and then go round once more. Same way we do the cars in my shop.

willtill
08-25-2015, 12:52 PM
Just got back in from checking the torque on my rear lugs, of my brand new F6B; with 680 miles on it.

Guess what?

They were all torqued to about 40 ft lbs. :banghead: Now I've torqued them to 80 ft lbs.

You know what else?

I am in complete admiration of whatever idiot prepped and prepared my bike at Honda Power sports of Crofton. I am amazed that they employ people like this in the service department. :icon_rolleyes:

I wonder how many customers they have killed to date? :jerkit:

I will be checking the torque on the front next.

jkelley
08-25-2015, 01:30 PM
really, amazed? they don't even check the final drive oil level, why in the world would you think they would care enough to check the lug nuts?

Travelor
08-25-2015, 05:25 PM
Good luck checking the front lug nuts, since there aren't any! Or do you mean you are going to check the bolts that hold the brake rotors to the front hub?:stirthepot:

willtill
08-25-2015, 06:19 PM
Good luck checking the front lug nuts, since there aren't any! Or do you mean you are going to check the bolts that hold the brake rotors to the front hub?:stirthepot:

Um... no... :nono: I am going to check the pinch bolts silly :icon_lol:

Never said front lug nuts... you nut.... :icon_mrgreen:

Travelor
08-25-2015, 07:48 PM
Will - wasn't specifically responding to you (check the thread, there are other references to the "front nuts"). After all, you never specified the pinch bolts, or any other fastener - just "up front" (after referencing the rear lug nuts (which are actually "bolts")). Could have been the axle nut, could have been the triple clamp pinch bolts or even the brake caliper bolts. Who knew?
But WTH, let's call someone out in the style you seem to use a lot! :yikes::moon:

willtill
08-25-2015, 08:54 PM
Will - wasn't specifically responding to you (check the thread, there are other references to the "front nuts"). After all, you never specified the pinch bolts, or any other fastener - just "up front" (after referencing the rear lug nuts (which are actually "bolts")). Could have been the axle nut, could have been the triple clamp pinch bolts or even the brake caliper bolts. Who knew?
But WTH, let's call someone out in the style you seem to use a lot! :yikes::moon:

Ha! :icon_mrgreen:

I'll check ALL the damned nuts now... at least put a wrench or socket on each one and at least give it a snug. :icon_wink:

And....we'll grow thin skinned folks into thick skinned folks. This country has gone to hell with all of the PC liberal indoctrination. A little tough love is good for the soul. If one can take it.

Not many can anymore.... sadly. :icon_rolleyes:

jkelley
08-26-2015, 06:00 AM
All this poor service talk lately is just par for this industry. I had to check to be sure I was not on the Harley forum for a minute.

Wife bought a new Shadow at a near by dealer, rear drive was 2 oz low. I even told them to check it based on comments from here and my rear drive on my F6B being low from the factory. They refused and said they are filled at the factory. Got the bike home filled the rear drive, two side seat bolts were missing, I took it for a ride and heard a noise on the front, a bolt was missing from the retainer for the front brake line.
A friend bought a new F6B and shortly after getting it, coolant was running out of the bike. Dealer repaired an "improperly placed hose clamp". Two days in the shop. Upon installing his cruise control I found many items not put back together correctly, and even tabs that were broken, and missing clips and screws.

NO ONE touches my vehicles for service period. Too many horror stories to count in my lifetime. I'm sure there are some good shops and mechanics out there but I damn sure haven't found them....

bob109
08-26-2015, 07:11 AM
Been doing my own wrenching on my cycles and autos for longer than I can remember! That said I have a well equipped garage with more tools than one can imagine. Neat and clean, the tools are organized and readily available for just about any task I tackle (F6B Air Cleaner Included). In my vast collection of tools there are no less than four different size "clicker torque wrenches". They are, IMHO, the most important items in my collection. Upon purchase of a cycle/vehicle one of the first things I acquire is the Factory Service Manuals. Having detailed info immediately available on all repair procedures is "priceless" as is the "torque specifications" for all fasteners!

Whenever I visit a major dealership service department, I make it a point too observe the array of tools mechanics are using and there are rarely any occasions a "torque wrench" is in sight:shock: I don't care how good a mechanic thinks he is at "massaging" a fastener/bolt in place but without the right tool he's guessing and pi$$ing into the wind.

Dealership Service Bays are about "Profit", plain and simple. In the case of cycles, new vehicles are uncrated, given a quick wash down and maybe some simple assembly of the seat and front wheel. Fluids, in my personal experiences, are a afterthought by the mechanic as there's a assumption that the factory "topped it off". When they do manage to fill the rear/engine oils they "overfill".

Owning many cycles over the years I only returned to the dealer on one occasion for a "Supposedly" 600 mile First Service! Paying $160+ dollars for a 4 quart oil and filter change and then have the motor "puke" oil from one of the filters (Suzuki M-109) because of a "overfill" convinced me that if you want it "done right" "do it yourself".

In ending this "rant", I feel for the folks who won't tackle the easiest/simple task of oil/filter changes and have to depend and more importantly, trust the competency of some gent getting "minimum wage" and that really doesn't give a "Rats Ass" about some customers machine:shock:

Steve 0080
08-26-2015, 09:09 AM
"Dealership Service Bays are about "Profit", plain and simple. In the case of cycles, new vehicles are uncrated, given a quick wash down and maybe some simple assembly of the seat and front wheel. Fluids, in my personal experiences, are a afterthought by the mechanic as there's a assumption that the factory "topped it off". When they do manage to fill the rear/engine oils they "overfill".

I worked at a Honda shop for a couple of years, ( 86-88 ) on my days off, and put together most of the units that went out the door, from ATV's to Goldwings ...
Bobs right, wash them off and send them out the door..... I don't remember the "comebacks" like we have today.....just sayin....

opas ride
08-26-2015, 09:40 PM
After I got "out-sourced" by another company after spending 30 years with Ford, I needed a job and got a sales job at a major bike dealer in Michigan selling mostly new bikes...Only worked there about a year from 1999-2000 before I could not stand it anymore...I never once saw a new bike get "checked/serviced" by any so-called "techs" or anything done but taken from the crate, cleaned up a little, windshield put on in some cases and bike pushed to the showroom floor...It was "frightening" how lousy their service department was and how little the "snot-nosed" immature and totally "inept" people they had as service "techs" released bikes to customers that in many, if not most, cases left the service department in worse shape than when they came in....It really turned me against most Honda dealers and especially those that carried multi-line products....The same un-trained motorcycle guy worked on a bike one minute and then a jet-ski the next and then a boat, or ATV....Just an old "rant" that left a very bad taste in mouth for a long time.....At least, for now, I have found a Honda dealer that, so far, I trust and that has given me great service and repairs.....Ride safe