PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for a long road trip ?

ths61
08-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Any tips for a long (@ 5,000+ mile) road trip (including maintenance tips)?

Already have $$$, "ccsmiley", new tires, new oil and new filters (oil and air), luggage, tie downs, rain gear, tire plugs, 12V pump, tools, cell, USB charger, GPS, lights, spare bulbs, travel cover, jumper cables, etc. Still need to get highway pegs.

Is AAA any good for motorcycle roadside assistance ? Any other ideas ?

TIA

shooter
08-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Don't know your age. If you're over forty , buy a large bottle of Aleve and take two every six hours till you get back.

ths61
08-24-2015, 07:23 PM
Don't know your age. If you're over forty , buy a large bottle of Aleve and take two every six hours till you get back.

Thanks, and a good supply of Tucks. :shock:

shooter
08-24-2015, 07:28 PM
I've added a new tool to my travel kit. Its a power source. Antigravity Batteries makes it. Jump starter , phone charger , flashlight and it comes with all kinds of adaptors. Check it out.

Rudy
08-24-2015, 07:30 PM
My riding buddy carries a soft cloth soaked in a windshield cleaner inside a zip lock bag. He also carries a dry soft cloth. When we stop to fuel up we use them to clean the windshields and our helmet visors. It works really well.
I carry a large trash bag and use it to lay over my seat when parking overnight. Keeps the seat dry from rain and morning dew. Nothing worst then starting the day with a wet tush.:icon_wink:

Other stuff I find in my bags:

Wire ties (ya never know)
many bungie cords
couple pair of sunglasses ( I leave them everywhere)
A dark and clear shield for helmet
tire gauge
A kickstand pad ( 3-4" round plexiglass pad I put under the kickstand if parking on stone, grass, or soft macadam)

Safe and happy travels'riding''riding''riding'

Ridlikhel
08-24-2015, 07:36 PM
Clean Underwear.

seadog
08-24-2015, 07:55 PM
The Slime 40001 tire inflator, very small, compact, has multiple ways to get power to the compressor, will pump to 300 psi, takes up very little room and is a giant in a small package.

ths61
08-24-2015, 08:02 PM
I've added a new tool to my travel kit. Its a power source. Antigravity Batteries makes it. Jump starter , phone charger , flashlight and it comes with all kinds of adaptors. Check it out.

Very cool tool. Its size is deceiving.

Ericb445
08-24-2015, 08:20 PM
Keep yourself hydrated and the sun off your bare skin IE Mesh gear. And make sure to stop and stretch out enough.

Fla_rider
08-24-2015, 08:26 PM

Bought mine on sale at the local HD showroom on sale!:yikes:

Papa Tater
08-24-2015, 10:10 PM
At Least a 64 GiG Usb full of Music , Gotta have the Tunes.

Sorcerer
08-24-2015, 10:23 PM
I beleave with AAA you need to add RV coverage to get MC towing.

taxfree4
08-25-2015, 04:01 AM
If you can stuff a small tent or tarp in your sac. There are stretches of flat land, with absolutely no cover, that will expose you to all elements in case you have to wait for a tow or have to pull over due to extreme weather conditions. These storms pop up out of nowhere and are a bitch (pic #2). Also, Spot satellite tracker is a great device that allows a loved one to track you on a computer and has a (911) button for emergencies. Basic tracking starts at $99 a year, well worth it. http://www.amazon.com/SPOT-Inc-SPOT-1-Personal-Tracker/dp/B000YTZV74. Last thing, very important, ALWAYS keep your phone on your person in case you get thrown from the vehicle. That phone is not going to do you any good while you've got a busted leg and can't get to it.

ReserveBum
08-25-2015, 07:14 AM
AMA offers roadside assistance for a lot less than AAA. That also will work for your cages. Other needs already mentioned....Slime compressor, tire plug kit, extra phone charger, Tunes, GPS and a half cover

zeus661
08-25-2015, 01:48 PM
Half the clothes. I pack light a buy travel packets of laundry soap and wash clothes in hotel room sinks. Dry by morning.

ths61
08-25-2015, 03:29 PM
Just ordered a PakIt Rak conversion kit for the F6B so I can reuse my PakIt Rak/Nelson Rig Bag/Rain Cover from my previous bike.

Pap
08-25-2015, 05:37 PM
If you have a small flashlight, wrap some duck tape around it. It takes up less room that way.
Best of luck!

FlyinF
08-25-2015, 06:03 PM
In the past years couple bikers have been struck by lightning. If you are out in the plains and a storm with lightning starts to brew up and you and your bike are the tallest thing in miles what are you going to do? I was out in New Mexico once and this happened to me (I was on a Goldwing with that tall whip antenna), luckily there was a small town coming up but it sure had me concerned. What would the majority of you guys do?????

ths61
08-25-2015, 06:07 PM
In the past years couple bikers have been struck by lightning. If you are out in the plains and a storm with lightning starts to brew up and you and your bike are the tallest thing in miles what are you going to do? I was out in New Mexico once and this happened to me (I was on a Goldwing with that tall whip antenna), luckily there was a small town coming up but it sure had me concerned. What would the majority of you guys do?????

Take down the tall antenna !!! :yikes: Don't use earbuds or wired comm sets in electrical storms.

I read a thread a couple of years ago about a former poster who got lit up.

willtill
08-25-2015, 06:12 PM

Ride like hell. .dickie-deals. Like right through an ambush. You gotta keep moving. Don't stop and let the enemy zero in on ya....! :yikes:

J/K.... well... maybe you can outrun the storm. Depends. Lightning will lite your ass up though when not even near the precipitation. lightning-smilie

If you were in the open in the scenario that you described... get away from your bike and lie flat. And pray to your entity that the lightning doesn't find you out there...

GaTeach
08-25-2015, 06:20 PM
Half the clothes. I pack light a buy travel packets of laundry soap and wash clothes in hotel room sinks. Dry by morning.

Right before school started back, I rode to Natchez and New Orleans and Mobile for a week. I had a back pack and my rainsuit and a first aid kit in one bag and my purse, and a beach bag of snacks in the other.

Rollin

rich
08-25-2015, 06:26 PM
LDComfort underwear, www.ldcomfort.com

Rich

willtill
08-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Right before school started back, I rode to Natchez and New Orleans and Mobile for a week. I had a back pack and my rainsuit and a first aid kit in one bag and my purse, and a beach bag of snacks in the other.

Rollin

Shoot... :icon_doh: Now I gotta get a purse. :banghead:

...thought I had everything I needed. :icon_mrgreen:

J/K :icon_lol:

motozeke
08-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Aristech Roadcrafter--the last riding suit you'll need, in all likelihood. Not having to get in and out of rain gear is priceless, not to mention being able to zip out of it in seconds so that you can walk around in your street clothes. +1+1+1+1+1

Dirtstiff's F6B
08-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Athletic underware and baby powder.

F6bisnext
08-26-2015, 04:42 AM
Shield 9mm, two clips and ammo.

GaTeach
08-26-2015, 06:30 AM

Ruger LC9 :) 140th anniversary edition

GaTeach
08-26-2015, 06:32 AM

Don't get one with a long strap. It's a pain to keep the saddlebag door from closing on the strap. :)

coffee_weasle
08-26-2015, 06:56 AM
best $77 i've ever "invested"

http://www.amazon.com/Airhawk-Medium-Cruiser-Pad-AH2MED/dp/B0045WBVUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440590119&sr=8-1&keywords=airhawk+seats

shooter
08-26-2015, 07:07 AM

Don't get one of those cheap vinyl ones either. Get a good leather one. That way people think you're classy.

willtill
08-26-2015, 07:18 AM
Don't get one with a long strap. It's a pain to keep the saddlebag door from closing on the strap. :)

Don't get one of those cheap vinyl ones either. Get a good leather one. That way people think you're classy.

:icon_lol:

ths61
08-26-2015, 12:24 PM
Aristech Roadcrafter--the last riding suit you'll need, in all likelihood. Not having to get in and out of rain gear is priceless, not to mention being able to zip out of it in seconds so that you can walk around in your street clothes. +1+1+1+1+1

Aren't these for cold weather riding?

best $77 i've ever "invested"
http://www.amazon.com/Airhawk-Medium-Cruiser-Pad-AH2MED/dp/B0045WBVUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440590119&sr=8-1&keywords=airhawk+seats

Been looking at those for a while.

Ruger LC9 :) 140th anniversary edition

Have that covered.

My wife has a Brighton fetish at my expense. I wonder if she will notice if one is missing ? :shock:

Old Ryder
08-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Chapstick/eye drops/sunscreen/Vasoline for your nose. Yep, you read it correctly. I have learned that using a Q Tip and lining your nasal passage will help a lot. In my case, when I travel a long way from home there is a lot of different plants that put stuff in the air that kick in the allergies big time that I don't have at home. You would be amazed how much comfort a few small items can bring.

timjoebob
08-26-2015, 08:27 PM
I've taken two 18-day trips, but I have the luxury of a trailer that I pull.

All tips that have been mentioned are good, depending on how handy you are. I carry my full tool kit in a roll plus a Slime mini-compressor and a tire-plug kit. Never had to use the plug kit (yet).

I don't know where you're headed but I've used my heated gear in, of all places, Texas and Oklahoma, as I rode one entire day on I-40 in steady rain and high-60s temps. I was cold and the heated gear really came in handy.

As an alternative, make sure you have spare gloves and rain booties. Nothing more miserable than wet, cold, hands and feet... even in the middle of summertime. Also, bring your wind and winter liners. Weather can change quickly.

The bottle of ibuprofen or pain reliever of choice sounds like a joke, but pain while riding takes the joy out of it. The post above about little things adding comfort is a great tip.

If I'm riding through Monument Valley or somewhere extremely desolate, I make sure I have plenty of water in case there's a breakdown. In my trailer, I carry a case of water. Boy Scout mentality.

Some like to ride the wind and go whereever it takes them. Not me. For me, planning is half the fun. Besides, if you're not camping and want to stay in a national park (E.g.: Grand Canyon, Glacier NP, etc.), you need reservations and make them a year in advance.

Have a great time! Ride safe!

F6B1911
08-26-2015, 08:28 PM
Just ordered a PakIt Rak conversion kit for the F6B so I can reuse my PakIt Rak/Nelson Rig Bag/Rain Cover from my previous bike.

Can't see your license plate?? Can you get pulled over for that?

jm21ddd15
08-26-2015, 08:45 PM
So many great suggestions from the forum. Remember to "Pack your mindset", for the ride. Most likely you will encounter many close calls with dumb-ass cagers. Get ready for that. Also some not so fun traveling, due to crap weather, or a sore body. Keep focus on the reward of a safe, successful trip, and meeting a group that shares your passion. It will be "time well spent!" :biggthumpup:

ths61
08-26-2015, 09:08 PM
I don't know where you're headed but I've used my heated gear in, of all places, Texas and Oklahoma, as I rode one entire day on I-40 in steady rain and high-60s temps. I was cold and the heated gear really came in handy.

As an alternative, make sure you have spare gloves and rain booties. Nothing more miserable than wet, cold, hands and feet... even in the middle of summertime. Also, bring your wind and winter liners. Weather can change quickly.

The bottle of ibuprofen or pain reliever of choice sounds like a joke, but pain while riding takes the joy out of it. The post above about little things adding comfort is a great tip.

Always leave my Gerbing gear in the bike. Not looking forward to any rain and need to get something for my boots. Have gain gear, armored Colorado Chaps and layered armored mesh jacket.

Can't see your license plate?? Can you get pulled over for that?

On my Vision, the plate was very visible. Wings have lowered their plate when they went from a 2 tail light to 3 tail light design. I will either raise the plate or relocate it to the rack.

So many great suggestions from the forum. Remember to "Pack your mindset", for the ride. Most likely you will encounter many close calls with dumb-ass cagers. Get ready for that. Also some not so fun traveling, due to crap weather, or a sore body. Keep focus on the reward of a safe, successful trip, and meeting a group that shares your passion. It will be "time well spent!" :biggthumpup:

Yep, some great suggestions that have been added to my list. A buddy and I am planning on riding coast-2-coast and back.

1951vbs
08-29-2015, 08:28 AM
[QUOTE=ths61;93113]Aren't these for cold weather riding?

Aerostich suits are for all weather, all temps. Made with a Gortex liner, it is one of the only true waterproof yet breathable materials. It has armor in the shoulders, elbows and knees. Back and hip armor are optional. The only outer gear you will need. No need to stop to put a rain suit on....ever! I have had several in climates as diverse as Minnesota to the Carolina's. Living now in Florida I purchased the Roadcrafter City Jacket and AD1 light pants. They are lighter weight than the standard Roadcrafter and comfortable for me to about 95°....as long as you are moving. Over 95° I wear an evaporative vest under the jacket. I can also layer up for the few 45° days we have. Gortex is no longer exclusive to Aerostich. Klim and Alpinstars also offer Gortex gear but it is spendy.1606416065

Big Dawg
08-29-2015, 10:47 AM
LDComfort underwear, www.ldcomfort.com

Rich

These are the best, wash them every evening with a cap full of Woolite, then roll them up in a towel and twist to dry. Finish by hanging over night. I travel with 2 pair and swap every day.

1951vbs
08-30-2015, 10:28 AM
These are the best, wash them every evening with a cap full of Woolite, then roll them up in a towel and twist to dry. Finish by hanging over night. I travel with 2 pair and swap every day.

+1 :yes: way better than anti-monkey butt powder.

ths61
08-31-2015, 11:02 AM
Just about got her packed and ready for a trial run.

http://jafrum.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/swiss-bike-overloaded.jpg

F6B1911
08-31-2015, 01:18 PM
Ouch!
Here's something to consider on a long road trip....
17mm wrench
spare oli drain plug w/crush washer

I'm on my way down to Franklin, stopped to get a new set of tires and an oil change....
Got up this morning and found a huge, HUGE, puddle under my F6B, come to find out the oil drain plug was not tightened.
Luckily there was an auto parts store close by, snugged up the oil drain plug and I was on my way.

On another note for tips for a long road trip..... Back Roads
Took the long way through Ohio, route 60 south all the way to West Virginia. Beautiful road, beautiful scenery, lots of twisties.
Back roads are so much nicer than an Interstate if you have the time.

CoCoKola
08-31-2015, 03:15 PM
The best weather app for nearly nothing Rain Alarm (http://app.rain-alarm.com/)(free) or Rain Alarm Pro. You set a radius in miles to search for weather, and it has three default alarms you can set. one for rain close by, one for heavy rain, even if further away etc. best app by far and I depend on it for all travel. They have both android and iPhone versions.

i use Waze (http://waze.com/) instead of google maps, as it includes road hazards, such as potholes, construction, police speed-traps etc. Google actually bought them a while ago.

willtill
08-31-2015, 04:02 PM
Man... some of you guys are high tech. :icon_wink: I work in I.T. but when it comes to my motorcycle and motorcycling; I just make a strip map to my destination... and then ride to it. :icon_lol:

opas ride
08-31-2015, 04:18 PM
Make sure your not riding a Harley!!! and all should be well.....at least not a one built before 2014.....Ride safe

willtill
09-01-2015, 05:42 AM
Just about got her packed and ready for a trial run.

http://jafrum.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/swiss-bike-overloaded.jpg

Now THAT is a pack mule; if I ever saw one....! :shock:

CoCoKola
09-03-2015, 05:21 PM
Man... some of you guys are high tech. :icon_wink: I work in I.T. but when it comes to my motorcycle and motorcycling; I just make a strip map to my destination... and then ride to it. :icon_lol:

there is nothing better than getting an alert "pothole ahead" or "stopped vehicle ahead" or "hazard ahead" or (yes they have it) "live animal ahead" when traveling at night or rain. Besides having ETA, searching for food /gas along the way is indispensable.

wiggy
09-03-2015, 09:59 PM
For long distance riding, especially in hot weather, a Camelbak hydration pack really helps. I have a 3 liter one. Filled up full with ice at a gas stop and then cold water will keep you hydrated and feeling cooler between stops.

One tip when using, when done taking a drink, blow back into the bite valve to flush the line. Otherwise, your next drink will be warm water heated up from the sun.

ths61
09-03-2015, 10:08 PM
For long distance riding, especially in hot weather, a Camelbak hydration pack really helps. I have a 3 liter one. Filled up full with ice at a gas stop and then cold water will keep you hydrated and feeling cooler between stops.

One tip when using, when done taking a drink, blow back into the bite valve to flush the line. Otherwise, your next drink will be warm water heated up from the sun.

Just took mine old mountain bike CamelBak for a test run on the B a couple of nights ago. It had a straight bite and replaced it with a 90 degree bite so it would work with a full face helmet.

Where do you get your ice from (buy bagged ice or raid the ice machine) ?

wiggy
09-04-2015, 09:46 PM
Just took mine old mountain bike CamelBak for a test run on the B a couple of nights ago. It had a straight bite and replaced it with a 90 degree bite so it would work with a full face helmet.

Where do you get your ice from (buy bagged ice or raid the ice machine) ?

I ask at gas stops if I can fill up with ice and and water and most have no problem with it. Or if I'm staying at a hotel during a rally, I just fill up from the hotel's ice machine.

ths61
09-04-2015, 11:10 PM
I ask at gas stops if I can fill up with ice and and water and most have no problem with it. Or if I'm staying at a hotel during a rally, I just fill up from the hotel's ice machine.

Good to know. Thanks.

F6bisnext
09-05-2015, 06:45 AM
I go up to the Blue Ridge mountains every year with about 20 of my buddies and their friends. We meet up and ride together for 4 days and have the time of our lives.

If weather is bad, we will trailer up to a buddies house in Chattanooga and ride up the Cherohola Skyway for a gorgeous ride. Would rather ride, but why make it unbearable if you don't have to.

Sometimes we will call the hotel ahead of time and ask if they will receive a shipment from us. Two of us will box up some extra clothes...and ship it there. We will ship it back when we are leaving. This greatly reduces the load and things you have to worry about on the road.

Pick a hotel with a washer/dryer and carry less. Just do a load of wash or hand wash in the sink. I ALWAYS pack to much, so when I prepare my packing list I go over it again after I've picked out what I'll bring and reduce it by half.

A safety tip we use when riding loaded and in groups is the guy two bikes back of you has to give you the go ahead on how you packed your bike. If riding staggered, his bike will be directly behind you if something should come off. Use zip ties instead of bungees and pack extra's. I have some that are almost 3 feet long and they can hold down an elephant!

Most of all, HAVE FUN and enjoy the open road.....after all it's the reason why we ride.

ths61
09-05-2015, 11:47 AM
I go up to the Blue Ridge mountains every year with about 20 of my buddies and their friends. We meet up and ride together for 4 days and have the time of our lives.

If weather is bad, we will trailer up to a buddies house in Chattanooga and ride up the Cherohola Skyway for a gorgeous ride. Would rather ride, but why make it unbearable if you don't have to.

Sometimes we will call the hotel ahead of time and ask if they will receive a shipment from us. Two of us will box up some extra clothes...and ship it there. We will ship it back when we are leaving. This greatly reduces the load and things you have to worry about on the road.

Pick a hotel with a washer/dryer and carry less. Just do a load of wash or hand wash in the sink. I ALWAYS pack to much, so when I prepare my packing list I go over it again after I've picked out what I'll bring and reduce it by half.

A safety tip we use when riding loaded and in groups is the guy two bikes back of you has to give you the go ahead on how you packed your bike. If riding staggered, his bike will be directly behind you if something should come off. Use zip ties instead of bungees and pack extra's. I have some that are almost 3 feet long and they can hold down an elephant!

Most of all, HAVE FUN and enjoy the open road.....after all it's the reason why we ride.

I have some HVAC zip strips (and tightening tool) left over for a job I did. You could attach the seat to the bike if necessary. :icon_lol:

Turns out the biggest thing in my pack so far is my camping pack. If we were not camping for part of the trip. my pack would be very small.

ths61
09-06-2015, 10:55 PM
600 miles done today. Started out at 58 degrees and proceeded to 108 degrees. Got to hotel just as the lightning started to appear. Arizona has some nice smooth highways.

Had my 6 serviced just b4 I left and they must have overfilled the coolant because it burped a couple of times. Never did that b4. Will keep an eye on it.

Camelbak, highway pegs and tunes are a Godsend.

Riding with a buddy on a Vision on the superslabs. The Vision is consistently using a gallon less at fillups. Guess I need to put my fat azz on a diet.

blackmetoc
09-07-2015, 10:41 AM

If I had a dollar every time I heard THAT! lol

If you have set places along your route, you can mail a few things to save space in the bags. I also carry a few laundry detergent pellets when I travel so I pack less. Not just for the bike, but for travel over all.

ths61
09-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Did 550 miles yesterday and around 400 today. Saw a black B at a W? Burger joint in El Paso Tx yesterday and toured the Alimo today. The Alimo was a sobering experience.

Arizona and New Mexico had 75 MPH speed limits and Texas has 80 MPH. WooHoo !!! Legal 80 !!!

Texas should open up a road kill cafe chain. A lot of carcuses to choose from.

Tomorrow we should make Louisiana.

The B did not burp any more radiator fluid today. We had to cut today's miles short to patch the Vision's front fender which still has to go in for the recall.

Had a bit of wind today which made a noticible difference on fuel milage. So far we have had great weather with just heat to deal with. Last 2 days we 80's and 90's with just a short time in tripple digits.

ths61
09-13-2015, 09:05 PM
I logged a little over 4000 miles in the last week and it is time to head back. Estimate the entire trip will be @ 6000 miles when all is said and done.

Shooter, thanks for the alieve suggestion.

Saw a south bound yellow B 2 days ago just south of Nashville, Tn.

Have gone coast 2 coast and from the gulf to Wisconsin. Taking the middle route back.

The B has been running great. May strongly consider an Ultimate seat when I get back.

Friday and Saturday was a good test of the rain gear.

Over 600 miles today and longest day so far was just over 800 miles.

ths61
09-19-2015, 09:03 PM
Finished the road trip today with a total of @ 6,700 miles in 13.5 days.

Had great weather ranging from upper 40's to 108 degrees and rain on only 2 days.

Learned a lot and will be better prepared for the next trip.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions that were very useful.

Grand Canyon:

Hillbilly Heaven in Memphis, TN:

Alamo:

El Paso, TX:

Vietnam Memorial in Angel Fire, NM

ths61
09-19-2015, 09:29 PM
Route 66:

Cheap Gas (Cheapest seen was $1.92.9, $1.87 with club card):

Some weather coming in Central Illinois:

Four Corners:

New Mexico State Road 13 in Navajo Reservation:

Willl
09-19-2015, 10:54 PM
6700 miles, that's a "long road trip" :clap2:

Thanks for the photo's :icon_cool:

ths61
10-10-2015, 10:16 PM
I finally ran a spreadsheet on my cross country fuel mileage. Here are the stats running a 15" MadStad all the way down over the entire trip. Mirror hand wings were open most of the time. Most of the ride was highway miles with the throttle lock on. Ran regular 87 octane.

Min: 29.5 MPG - Strong sustained headwinds
Ave: 36.2 MPG
Med: 37.6 MPG
Max: 45.4 MPG

Max theoretical range for 6.6 gallons varied between [194 and 299] miles

Willl
10-11-2015, 12:28 AM
I would have thought your Average MPG would have been closer to 40

Thanks for the numbers 'gw-smiley'

ths61
10-11-2015, 12:59 AM
I would have thought your Average MPG would have been closer to 40

Thanks for the numbers 'gw-smiley'

I was hoping for better numbers as well. My buddy was using @ 1 gal less per refueling with his leaned out Vision, but he was paying more for Premium =).

My engine and exhaust are stock and I was running brand new OEM spark plugs and air filter. The 29.5 MPG with headwinds was also surprising.

xcrider
10-12-2015, 06:48 PM
An "ICE" list card in your wallet (In Case of Emergency) to call 'just in case'.