PDA

View Full Version : Just looking for thoughts.....

dumbpartsguy
08-25-2015, 07:30 AM
Hi. i'm new to the forum, but I've been riding for 34 years total. I ride a new 2013 F6B Black Beauty. I ride a 180 mile stretch of I-95 daily Monday thru Friday. When I'm heading South, I usually have a nice tail wind, so the ride is easy and relaxing. On my way back home (north bound), I am stuffed with a strong head wind almost every day. Which in 90+ degree weather can really take a lot out of me. Also seem to get batted around a lot by the semi's.

Any ideas from some of you seasoned Road Warriors on this? I already have added the vented Tall windshield from Honda.

dickiedeals
08-25-2015, 07:42 AM
Asking for our thoughts on this forum could be dangerous............Lol....Belly pan if you don't have it makes for a less buffeted ride. This being the hottest summer on record all I can say is install a drink holder and try to keep hydrated. A wet towel around the neck help a bit...When its 100 in the shade it makes for hot riding......Dickie

shooter
08-25-2015, 07:45 AM
Some windscreens are better than others. A good screen helps minimize the buffeting. I have good luck with my Clear view with the 'flip'.

willtill
08-25-2015, 07:47 AM
If you install a front fork stabilizer; you can reduce the bike's tendency; to being buffeted by side winds and semi's. They help the bike to track better at speed; during those events.

taxfree4
08-25-2015, 07:57 AM
Just did a very long ride with this bolt-on accessory. It performed flawlessly, letting just enough wind through to maximize the cooling effect of my mesh jacket and keeping the wind blast away. There are an infinite amount of vertical and horizontal adjustments to get that sweet spot and it's Autobahn tested.

http://www.mra.de/en/x-creen

DaWadd
08-25-2015, 08:00 AM
Mirror wings will help with wind managment. Helped me anyways."coffee"

Sorcerer
08-25-2015, 08:10 AM
Tire pressure. I run 42/42. Any thing less and I feel that the bike starts to feel mushy. 90* in NC humidity is going to suck unless your in a A/C cage. + 1 on a belly pan. The stock windshield sucks. Most any after market screen will be an improvement.

lloydmoore1
08-25-2015, 08:17 AM
Hi. i'm new to the forum, but I've been riding for 34 years total. I ride a new 2013 F6B Black Beauty. I ride a 180 mile stretch of I-95 daily Monday thru Friday. When I'm heading South, I usually have a nice tail wind, so the ride is easy and relaxing. On my way back home (north bound), I am stuffed with a strong head wind almost every day. Which in 90+ degree weather can really take a lot out of me. Also seem to get batted around a lot by the semi's.

Any ideas from some of you seasoned Road Warriors on this? I already have added the vented Tall windshield from Honda.

I have the same windshield with the same results, lots of protection but it acts as a sail and would really blow my bike arround. My fix was the madstad windshield it took away that issue 100% for me.

gordon
08-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Just did a very long ride with this bolt-on accessory. It performed flawlessly, letting just enough wind through to maximize the cooling effect of my mesh jacket and keeping the wind blast away. There are an infinite amount of vertical and horizontal adjustments to get that sweet spot and it's Autobahn tested.

http://www.mra.de/en/x-creen

taxfree, I am very interested in this screen, would you give more information on this product? Is there a U.S. dealer to order from? What is the cost? Any problems drilling holes in your base ws? What type of ws do you have? This looks like something I need / want. Thanks taxfree................gordon

SmallPasture
08-25-2015, 12:08 PM
Can't say enough about the mesh riding jacket (gear). It's allowed my wife and I to ride all summer long here in South Central Texas (San Antonio area). I used to ride only w/ a t-shirt in these temps and would be wiped out by 3pm and burnt. The mesh allows air in but keeps the sun off which makes all the difference in the world. Even sitting at stop lights it's does wonders by keeping the sun off. We even went and got mesh pants so we just wear our swim suites underneath. Every time we come across a decent water crossing we pullover, pull off and cool off! Been one of the best ideas the wife's had in years!

Of course this is done in an average of 40% humidity. Not sure what your summer time humidity is there in N.C.. If' it's anything like Houston or Florida not sure it's do able!

dumbpartsguy
08-25-2015, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all the input. I will begin to start shopping. And thanks for going easy on me being a Newbie and all. :icon_lol:

stevenolts
08-25-2015, 01:33 PM
Get the Madstad it is not that expensive and really works great. No buffeting and just enough wind fluttering not really flowing across your face.
Steve

Fla_rider
08-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Combine a wide screen with vent and Baker Wings. Here a picture.

Fla_rider
08-25-2015, 01:48 PM
Can't say enough about the mesh riding jacket (gear). It's allowed my wife and I to ride all summer long here in South Central Texas (San Antonio area). I used to ride only w/ a t-shirt in these temps and would be wiped out by 3pm and burnt. The mesh allows air in but keeps the sun off which makes all the difference in the world. Even sitting at stop lights it's does wonders by keeping the sun off. We even went and got mesh pants so we just wear our swim suites underneath. Every time we come across a decent water crossing we pullover, pull off and cool off! Been one of the best ideas the wife's had in years!

Of course this is done in an average of 40% humidity. Not sure what your summer time humidity is there in N.C.. If' it's anything like Houston or Florida not sure it's do able!

This is a true statement, I find myself cooler if I wear my mesh Tourmaster jacket.

Cool Hand Luke
08-25-2015, 08:59 PM

Is there another way, can you avoid highway riding? I hate the turbulence behind semi's, too, and the only way I know around that is to ride the two lane roads as much as possible. Much more enjoyable, too.

Other than that, my vote is for Madstad windshield with Baker Air Wings.

taxfree4
08-25-2015, 09:40 PM
taxfree, I am very interested in this screen, would you give more information on this product? Is there a U.S. dealer to order from? What is the cost? Any problems drilling holes in your base ws? What type of ws do you have? This looks like something I need / want. Thanks taxfree................gordon

Here's a link to order it: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x-creen-add-on-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade-bolt-on

No problems with holes as they provide you a clear template to put over your existing shield. I have the stock shield on for summer months, Baggershield on for winter months.

moosedog
08-27-2015, 08:35 AM
Is there another way, can you avoid highway riding? I hate the turbulence behind semi's, too, and the only way I know around that is to ride the two lane roads as much as possible. Much more enjoyable, too.

Other than that, my vote is for Madstad windshield with Baker Air Wings.

The tall windshield is adding to your buffeting around the semi's. The fixed shields can't handle the extra turbulence the semi's produce. The short stock windshield actually works great around the semi's when using a good full face helmet (an open face helmet adds to the buffeting as well b/c it "catches" the air instead of diverting it around). The taxman add on screen or the Madstad with it's adjustability would no doubt perform better. Mesh gear also helps as it allows the wind to blow through. When all else fails just pace the speed of the semi's in the right lane and stay there. It's better than passing them continuously and you will enjoy the ride much more. I learned this on I-70 through Indiana, Illinois and Missouri where the truck traffic is endless. They move along at a consistent speed and it didn't add any significant time to my day. Good luck and ride safe. Cheers!