PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Towing Trailer is Illegal in CA ???

jlig
08-04-2013, 01:06 PM
I just attended a GWRRA meeting where information was disbursed about towing a trailer behind a motorcycle in California being illegal. Apparently this is not enforced, but there are some dire consequences if an accident occurs where bodily injury occurs. Anybody know about this?

MichaelG
08-04-2013, 03:10 PM
I just attended a GWRRA meeting where information was disbursed about towing a trailer behind a motorcycle in California being illegal. Apparently this is not enforced, but there are some dire consequences if an accident occurs where bodily injury occurs. Anybody know about this?

Yes, I do know about this. Towing a trailer behind a motorcycle...in the state of California...is LEGAL. Period !

Don't allow some beauracratic safety idiots con you into believing otherwise. To get the straight facts on this, contact someone like...California Sidecar Company, that makes and sells trailers, and see what they have to say. Of course they are located in Virginia, but they started in Calif.

http://www.californiasidecar.com/index.html

There are others too, like Champion Sidecars, which also make and sell trailers in California. These guys actually MAKE their trailers in Calif.

http://www.championsidecars.com/trailers.asp

What you heard was a rumor.:icon_rolleyes:

Steve 0080
08-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Wayyyy to much $$$$ envolved for that to become law..... Same way Honda does not say anything about pulling a trailer.....

Deer Slayer
08-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Yup, it is legal. However, check your ins coverage. If a trailer breaks away it may not be covered. Mine stayed on. Coverage is less than $100.00. I pull a bunkhouse with MY F6B.

Good Luck....

MSGT-R
08-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Being an MSF Ridercoach, I'm pretty familiar with the California Vehicle Code when it comes to motorcycles. I don't ever recall seeing anything wrong with pulling a trailer with a motorcycle..

The only laws I've seen have to do with chains, attachment, and lights.

Pedro66
08-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Being an MSF Ridercoach, I'm pretty familiar with the California Vehicle Code when it comes to motorcycles. I don't ever recall seeing anything wrong with pulling a trailer with a motorcycle..

The only laws I've seen have to do with chains, attachment, and lights.

As I remember tit was legal just stay at or under 55 in the right 2 lanes

MSGT-R
08-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Yeah, the 55 mph restriction is still there.
Must stay in the right hand lane unless a 4-lane highway, then the right two lanes.
No carpool lane.

suzp
08-05-2013, 09:54 AM
I ride with a group (Star Touring and Riding) and on average we do 5 long overnight rides a year - on each of these rides there are at least 7-9 trailers begin towed by Goldwings and Harleys. We have traveled pretty much the length of California and many of our members have towed trailers across the United States without any issues. We ride in the carpool lane on occasion as well. Just understand that crap expands to the space allowed and you will be surprised how much stuff you will find yourself taking along - and bringing back. The only incident I have heard of is a trailer breaking down because the owner put two cases of wine in it and the axle couldn't handle it. Its all good though as they were able to get it repaired (they had ridden to eastern canada lol) where they were at.

MSGT-R
08-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Don't get caught in that carpool lane, it's a $427 dollar ticket. The signs clearly say no towing.