PDA

View Full Version : Rune?

Davidk
08-26-2015, 10:31 PM
I'm still in love with the design of the Rune. I never got to drive one. Anyone know if there are any problems with rideabiliy, mechanics or maintenance?

Steve 0080
08-26-2015, 10:47 PM
I had a little trouble with mine, one had a rear end lock up and disintegrate other than that no real issues... rode like a freight train on rails... sold mine after 6 years and 26K for what I bought it for !!! Best pantie dropper ever made !!!

stroguy
08-26-2015, 10:49 PM
Man that's sexy. Like Godzilla str8 from Japan.

Steve 0080
08-26-2015, 10:52 PM
The illusion blue was the best color...changed to three different colors depending from where you looked at it...

Davidk
08-26-2015, 10:56 PM
I had a little trouble with mine, one had a rear end lock up and disintegrate other than that no real issues... rode like a freight train on rails... sold mine after 6 years and 26K for what I bought it for !!! Best pantie dropper ever made !!!

Is "rode like a freight train " good?

Steve 0080
08-26-2015, 11:00 PM
Well.... yes...that bike pulled harder than most and would run off and leave a GW...

Phantom
08-26-2015, 11:35 PM
I'm still in love with the design of the Rune. I never got to drive one. Anyone know if there are any problems with rideabiliy, mechanics or maintenance?

Several of us on this forum are Rune or were Rune owners

6 throttle bodies made it fly as soon as you pushed it.

Most of the parts were manufactured in 2002 and 2003, rubber parts, O-rings, Hoses need to be replaced. Some had a alternator dampener fail, some had a internal bearing fail. Replacement parts (while some are still available) are VERY EXPENSIVE since Honda no longer produces the parts.

Steve is WRONG, :moon: the best looking Runes were the Candy Black Cherry . At one time, I had a few in my garage.

hgslayr
08-27-2015, 12:03 AM
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q567/curtisstates47hgslatr47/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-07/Screenshot_2015-08-26-21-51-48-1_zpsmooggpht.png (http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/curtisstates47hgslatr47/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-07/Screenshot_2015-08-26-21-51-48-1_zpsmooggpht.png.html)

Bryster
08-27-2015, 01:37 AM
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q567/curtisstates47hgslatr47/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-07/Screenshot_2015-08-26-21-51-48-1_zpsmooggpht.png (http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/curtisstates47hgslatr47/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-07/Screenshot_2015-08-26-21-51-48-1_zpsmooggpht.png.html)

I've never been a true cruiser guy, (I know, but the F6 is a Goldwing with a comfortable seat to me), but the Rune is just plain special... That red is nice!

Cool Hand Luke
08-27-2015, 05:52 AM

That is a beautiful looking Rune with some very tastefully done customizing.

lloydmoore1
08-27-2015, 05:59 AM

Most of the parts were manufactured in 2002 and 2003, rubber parts, O-rings, Hoses need to be replaced. Some had a alternator dampener fail, some had a internal bearing fail. Replacement parts (while some are still available) are VERY EXPENSIVE since Honda no longer produces the parts.

Steve is WRONG, :moon: the best looking Runes were the Candy Black Cherry . At one time, I had a few in my garage.

Phantom looks like at one time you got ruined by all those Runes..pun intended. Nice looking bike for sure. Funny thing is that's the first time I have heard of them. Were they available up North???

Phantom
08-27-2015, 06:20 AM
Phantom looks like at one time you got ruined by all those Runes..pun intended. Nice looking bike for sure. Funny thing is that's the first time I have heard of them. Were they available up North???

Honda produced approximately 1,500 units. Initially 6 went to Japan, 12 went to Australia, 120 to Canada and the rest were for the USA market. Over the years many have been exported to affluent buyers around the world. I am guilty of exporting 44 of these beauties. This past May I exported one to Dubai U.A.E.

I am the developer/inventor of the unique Honda Rune Risers that RIVCO Products manufactures and sells .... For years no one could figure a way to pull the handlebars closer to the rider (the Rune has electrical indicators on the handlebar holder), the Rune is the LONGEST and Heaviest motorcycle that Honda has ever built, in 2010 I came up with the reverse engineered concept and after 5 prototypes with RIVCO's collaboration/expertise and a good amount of $$$ the risers were on the market after 20 months of development. http://rivcoproducts.com/shop-by-motorcycle/honda-valkyrie-rune-risers.html

I know the Runes very well, I even have a spare engine in my garage :shhh: BigLarry is one of the top Rune experts in the country !!!

lloydmoore1
08-27-2015, 07:04 AM
Phantom
Well that's quite interesting. I am amazed at the knowledge that is available on this site, thanks for sharing.
Also thanks for the work you do behind the scenes to keep this site running I for one really appreciate it.

No Handle Sam
08-27-2015, 08:03 AM

Knock on wood… I have never had any issues with mine. Just 27,000 fun filled miles. I love riding it and as Steve mentioned… the thing pulls like no other bike I've ever had. I also think that it handles great for such a big "cruiser" motorcycle. That being said… I've really been thinking about selling it lately. For no reason other then I just don't ride it as much as I should. Between the Harley and the F6 and the fact that my better half really enjoys getting out a riding with me and even when I put the 2 up seat on the Rune it's not nearly as comfortable as the other two.

hgslayr
08-27-2015, 08:51 AM
Thanks cool and Bryster...I bought mine new in 2005 and still own her 10 years later with the F6 as the new roomate...Its been alot of fun throughout the years but after riding my F6 Im spoiled and havent ridden it but once...

Davidk
08-27-2015, 01:42 PM

That's the info I was looking for. Thx

Guess I will have to scratch it off my wish list

BIGLRY
08-27-2015, 04:35 PM
As the past owner of five Runes(four at one time) and currently two I'm a confessed Rune addict. Everything Phantom has said is true, they are expensive when it come to parts and the ride is like no other with a lot of low end torque. The Rune runs six 32mm throttle bodies verses a twin throttle body on the F6B and a different set of cams than the normal flat six engine the GL1800 or F6B uses. I have a set of Rune cams on the self that I plan to install in my F6B someday, but for now with the Jekill & Hyde exhaust and Torque Loopz mod the F6B is still a thrill to twist the wick on.:icon_lol:

The only thing I have rode in the Honda line up with more pull off the line than the Rune is my modified VTX1800, but at the 60' foot line the Rune walks on by and around the 1/8 mile the Rune waves bye bye and is gone.
Here is my first one a 2004 blue with mini apes, Corbin bags.

This is the latest one I bought three weeks ago, a totally stock.... for now:icon_twisted:
it's a 2005 with 6K miles, full chrome and I am adding more as soon as the brown truck shows up.
Here it is setting in the shipping truck then in front of the house.

My other 2004 blue one, I traded both of my blue Runes for my F6B

Here is my first black one with black powder coated wheels and a few mods that I sold to a friend.
There is a red one that I've been working on for a few years, but no pic I want to show yet.:icon_twisted:

stroguy
08-27-2015, 05:14 PM
I think a few sessions with Dr Phil are warranted Larry.

Phaedrus
08-27-2015, 06:34 PM
What is the benefit of the Rune's complicated front fork setup?

Willl
08-27-2015, 07:32 PM
I think a few sessions with Dr Phil are warranted Larry.

funnypost.

LOL

Cool Hand Luke
08-27-2015, 07:34 PM

Good looks and personality! :icon_cool:

Actually it is supposed to eliminate/lower nose dive under breaking, but it's really Honda showing off that they can do anything.

I really like that black Rune with black wheels, first black wheels on a Rune I have seen so far. Nice job!

BIGLRY
08-27-2015, 07:41 PM
LOOKS!!!
The trailing bottom link forks gives the front end the impression of being very heavily raked...almost chopper style...while in actual fact retaining almost conventional steering geometry. The fork is a mass of forgings, bushes, bearings and dampers with 3.5" of travel while the rear is supported by a Pro-Link rear suspension. The Dual 330mm front and single rear 336mm brake discs are also the largest ever fitted to a production Honda and do a great job of slowing this monster down.
The Rune is no CBR600 – but it is a million times better than a custom cruiser which is amazing for a bike that is just 27 inches from the floor to the saddle and is nearly seven feet long and weighs in at an eye-watering 850 lbs.
The only downside is that repair costs are horrendous. Each Rune left the American Honda Plant at Marysville, Ohio, costing the company a reported $100,000 :yikes: and sold for just a quarter of that price. Honda has got to get its money back somehow and therefore repairing a Rune is never going to be a cheap exercise and why I buy all the spare parts I can find within reason. :301:

BIGLRY
08-27-2015, 08:01 PM
Good looks and personality! :icon_cool:

Actually it is supposed to eliminate/lower nose dive under breaking, but it's really Honda showing off that they can do anything.

I really like that black Rune with black wheels, first black wheels on a Rune I have seen so far. Nice job!I have to correct you on that one as it is not like the Ural front end that rises when the front brake is applied which are leading link forks. A leading link fork suspends the wheel on a link (or links) with a pivot point rear of the wheel axle.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5f/Ural-fork.jpg

The Rune is a trailing bottom link fork and goes down when the front brake is applied. A trailing link fork suspends the wheel on a link (or links) with a pivot point forward of the wheel axle. Most famously used by Indian Motorcycle, it was also used by BMW for its early bikes.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/Honda-rune.jpg

If ya like the black wheels on that one you are going to love the one I have been working on for a while, its wheels are all powder coated black with a black frame and paint and chrome or buffed SS no other color on the bike even the brake line bolts are SS

Cool Hand Luke
08-27-2015, 08:17 PM
I have to correct you on that one as it is not like the Ural front end that rises when the front brake is applied which are leading link forks. A leading link fork suspends the wheel on a link (or links) with a pivot point rear of the wheel axle.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5f/Ural-fork.jpg

The Rune is a trailing bottom link fork and goes down when the front brake is applied. A trailing link fork suspends the wheel on a link (or links) with a pivot point forward of the wheel axle. Most famously used by Indian Motorcycle, it was also used by BMW for its early bikes.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/Honda-rune.jpg

If ya like the black wheels on that one you are going to love the one I have been working on for a while, its wheels are all powder coated black with a black frame and paint and chrome or buffed SS no other color on the bike even the brake line bolts are SS

Well, I think you definitely have more knowledge than me on Runes, so I accept your explanation. My limited knowledge comes from reading about it and having ridden it numerous times but never owning one.

Definitely looking forward to seeing your new creation! :yes:

Phantom
08-27-2015, 08:31 PM
I'm a confessed Rune addict.

Larry .... Me toooo :icon_redface:

Steve 0080
08-27-2015, 09:03 PM
I was in love with only one...I am a loyal kinda guy..... So much so, I have been marked, for life!!!

hgslayr
08-27-2015, 11:45 PM
Larry..I didnt know you bought my friends black rune (first one)..That used to belong to Eric Kidd and we both have alot of wrench time on that one...I know he sold it to someone in Salinas that owned a restaurant?

Phaedrus
08-28-2015, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the explanation, BIGLRY.

Willl
08-28-2015, 02:51 PM
Cool stuff

http://www.hoarders.com/support_groups.html

:lolup:

BIGLRY
08-28-2015, 03:14 PM
Larry..I didnt know you bought my friends black rune (first one)..That used to belong to Eric Kidd and we both have alot of wrench time on that one...I know he sold it to someone in Salinas that owned a restaurant?Correct, an Italian restaurant in Salinas, he wanted to build a new room on his beach house in Carmel, but his wife said no way unless he sold one of his toys (ski boat or Rune) so since he was scared of the Rune and had only put a few miles on it the Rune was sold to me.
I got the Rune for $8K, it had some issues with the wiring & throttle housing which I rewired and replaced and all was good(that is when I found out how much it really cost for Rune parts). It is now in Clovis CA with a good friend who rides it to the bike nights and local events. The grips & turns have been all put back to OEM. I got a lot of great ideas off some of the mods done to that one for the one I've been building for a few years now.:yes:

hgslayr
08-28-2015, 03:33 PM
Eric modified those Harley grips with the turn signals in them with a dremel tool but I had mine professionally machined so there wasn't any slop in them...It used to have a personalized plate NKBRKR Because ppl broke their necks just to look at it...lol

BIGLRY
08-28-2015, 03:36 PM
Cool stuff

http://www.hoarders.com/support_groups.html

:lolup:

Many people want to change, but just don’t know where or how to start. I do First, of all don’t try doing it alone. I don't, I get support from other Rune owners
You got yourself into this mess, yes. But, do you realize the complicated circumstances that truly created this disorder? Yes, my love of a beautiful machine Probably not. Even if you do, do you know how to pull yourself out of it? Yes, buy more Runes If you are truly ready and want help or are just looking to talk to other people that suffer just like you do, we have the answer.
So do I... reach into my key box and pick a "color of the day" steel steed's key, don on my leathers, cinch up the skid lid, fire off that bad ass flat six and hit the road to nowhere....best therapy one could ever have.:icon_biggrin:

BIGLRY
08-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Eric modified those Harley grips with the turn signals in them with a dremel tool but I had mine professionally machined so there wasn't any slop in them...It used to have a personalized plate NKBRKR Because ppl broke their necks just to look at it...lolYea, he should have done what you did and had them machined it caused a lot of headaches over time with grounding issues and a hokey throttle sleeve.

hgslayr
08-28-2015, 05:44 PM
Yeah...he has little patience and wanted to ride instead of doing a quality job...I used to cringe at some of the things he did...Hes a good dude though...

hgslayr
08-28-2015, 05:53 PM
I believe the grounding issues were related to him in properly cutting the end of the handle bar off on the throttle side whereas the other side has a set screw so it grounds it to the bar but since the throttle is a moving part it had problems with grounding

BIGLRY
08-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Yeah...he has little patience and wanted to ride instead of doing a quality job...I used to cringe at some of the things he did...Hes a good dude though...
Ya know I'll safely mouse something together if I have to so I can ride on most of my scoots, but when it comes to my Runes they have to be 100% perfect mechanically and looking or they don't leave the shop, no "if, and or buts" about it.:icon_biggrin:

hgslayr
08-28-2015, 06:02 PM
Me too...10 years later and mine hasnt seen the inside of a honda shop..No mechanical failures or major issues and still looks new with 42,000 miles on her...

BIGLRY
08-28-2015, 07:12 PM
I believe the grounding issues were related to him in properly cutting the end of the handle bar off on the throttle side whereas the other side has a set screw so it grounds it to the bar but since the throttle is a moving part it had problems with groundingYeap and solved it with OEM grips and a set of OEM turns and new wires through the bars to the switch.
I would never trust any of my scoots to a shop let alone one of my Runes.:icon_evil:

hgslayr
08-28-2015, 09:54 PM
Its scary when you take your rune to a Honda shop and the mechanics walk out and don't know what it is...

gray rider
08-28-2015, 09:56 PM
I traded in my 05 Rune Tuesday of this week toward a new "zero miles" 2014 Goldwing California Side Car trike. The Rune was always a handful at slow speeds. My Rune ran perfectly and was in imaculate condition so I decided to let it go before anything happened to it. I still have eight 2-wheel motorcycles the trike makes nine. I'm hoping I can talk my wife into going with me on the trike due to the comfy heated seat. Meanwhile, my F6B will not go unloved nor will my performance bikes. I still ride often, just not as far as I used to. p.s., Riding the trike is a strange and alien experience it glides along like an old Caddy and seems not the least bit fatiguing. Man, I am getting old!

Steve 0080
08-28-2015, 10:09 PM
Its scary when you take your rune to a Honda shop and the mechanics walk out and don't know what it is...

That is when I started asking for a price for the work, still do, I was not going to pay to teach a tech....