PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Comfort Question

F6bisnext
08-27-2015, 05:49 AM
I currently have a Corbin dual tour with dual backrests. The seat is too wide and high for my short legs. I bought the bike used.

I contacted Corbin and they can do a nose job, which is a removal of some foam on the sides, but they cannot lower the seat height.

Mean City Cycles can both reduce the width of the pan and remove foam to get the seat narrower and lower. GREAT for me, but my wife LOVES the Corbin!

So, if you have a passenger have their been any complaints with the OEM seat? If so, what are they? I will be putting on a backrest....still to figure out which one.

If you've had a memory foam upgrade for the passenger, was it worth it?

Greatly appreciate your help/advice.

This forum has been a tremendous blessing to me to get so many things figured out so quickly.

Fla_rider
08-27-2015, 06:22 AM
I'm 5'7" weight 210 my wife is 5'2" and weights 120 soaking wet with a foot locker on her back:icon_mrgreen:. I'm am a minority on the forum, as I love the seat. My wife also loves the OEM seat. The only upgrade I am considering is to add Demon Seat dual heater.Yeah I know heater for what you live in Florida. Well you see we ride year round in Florida and in the winter when most northern brothen have there bikes in storage we ride. Mornings can be in the upper 30's warm tush is a happy tush!"coffee"

OEM seats are always for sale on this forum from members that wanted a different seat.

Phantom
08-27-2015, 06:23 AM
Mornings can be in the upper 30's warm tush is a happy tush!"coffee"

Eat more BEANS !!!!! :icon_mrgreen:

Fla_rider
08-27-2015, 06:25 AM
Eat more BEANS !!!!! :icon_mrgreen:

Funny Tony!:lolup:

richw56
08-27-2015, 06:53 AM
I have a '14 deluxe, so I started with the OEM seat with the low passenger 'butt-chock' backrest.
I like the OEM seat.
So did my girlfriend, but for one thing - the passenger backrest started off too low for her.
The simple fix was to add an extender that raised the backrest up just a few inches, placing it squarely in the small of her back. The one I use is made by Ultimate. It's inexpensive, and super easy to install. Made a world of difference to the girlfriend, and we're both very happy with the seat now.

tmac99
08-27-2015, 09:07 AM
RichW56 wrote my exact reply already except I have a 13 Deluxe. My wife loved the back seat but wanted the back rest raised. I did that with a riser I got from one of the board members (Steve 0080) and as Rich said, easy to install and a huge hit with my wife. By the way, she is 5'8" and 130 lbs. I am 6'and 210 and find the OEM seat to be OK, but I don't do very long rides typically - mostly under 100 miles. If I rode longer days I would likely have a different opinion of the OEM seat as a rider.

dumbpartsguy
08-27-2015, 10:36 AM
I ordered the Corbin Dual Tour seat with both backrests (T2 oval-bac). I know it will be more supportive than the OEM seat.

Plus, your passenger MUST have a backrest or a bungee cord. The F6B will just dump them right off the back or keep them hanging on for dear life. :icon_lol:

My issues with the OEM seat were:
#1: It always ALWAYS gives me "Swamp Butt" :icon_doh: . I don't know what that material is but it AIN'T leather. And it makes me sweat like a whore in church. (on the front row). I chose the Corbin seat in Alligator leather to help with breatheability.

#2: The OEM passenger back rest is expensive enough on its own, but then you have to buy that expensive bracket kit too. You would be in it for about $500.00 USD. And then, by the time you added a driver's backrest, well, the Corbin price didn't look so bad by then.

ths61
08-27-2015, 12:10 PM
My wife likes the back seat, but has issues with the bumps/rear suspension travel.

She didn't like the low OEM backrest with riser so I put a tour pack with full back rest on for her.

Am thinking about adding aftermarket heated seat pads to the OEM seat.

Jimmytee
08-27-2015, 05:06 PM
I have a Corbin Dual Tour. I have the big passenger backrest that's shaped like a tombstone for lack of a better description. I have the oval rider backrest. Both have been reupholstered in black velour. Both my wife and I really like it. I wasn't sure about the black velour, but for what I paid for everything, I figured even if I paid to reupholster it myself, I'd still be money ahead. I bought the seat already in the black velour. I got the seat both back rests, the OEM backrests brackets. and the OEM luggage rack for $450 shipped to my door from a fellow member here. That was a no brainer. I've been pleasantly pleased with the black velour. The seat is cooler in the heat of summer and warmer in the winter.:yes:

F6bisnext
08-27-2015, 05:12 PM
Greatly appreciate all the input.

One additional question......should I modify the rear passenger section at the same time I"m getting the drivers side done? Has there been complaints that the stock is NOT comfortable?

I am having it lowered 1 inch and as much off the sides as possible to get my legs on the ground. Don't want to have to send it back if I will eventually need a passenger seat change.....rather be proactive.

Steve 0080
08-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Did you pillion complain ?

F6bisnext
08-28-2015, 06:40 AM
No, she hasn't ridden the OEM seat yet. Sending in to get modified directly from buyer and wanted to know if I should get the pillion done at the same time.

Steve 0080
08-28-2015, 10:45 PM
My wife liked the OEM and loves the Ultimate....

F6bisnext
08-29-2015, 07:06 AM
Not sure if you can narrow the width of the ultimate. MCC said they can narrow the OEM which is why I went this route. I can always add an AirHawk for her if needed.

Donncat
08-29-2015, 09:01 PM
My 2 cents.. I'm pretty happy with the stock seat. Have added the Ultimate drivers backrest and for $200 it's more than sitifactory. The rear is a showchrome so height is not a problem. I'm sure I would really like the Corbin or another Mustang like I have on my old Valkyrie but for now I'm pretty happy with what I have without spending a bunch. Just Sayin :catfight:

Nicki
08-28-2016, 04:28 PM
Did you pillion complain ?

My pillion wants the backrest gone; she says the seat is too wide but much better than the BMW K12RS
so How do I take off the back seat back rest?
Nicki

jeffedose
08-28-2016, 10:11 PM
I had dan and Paul at Bitchin stichin in Denver do my seat and love it. I am 5/11 210 and factory seat gave me no support and made me feel as if I was on top of bike. now I sit down in the bike..we are working on narrowing the plastic as well in the front as people have said mean city is.... I also had them remove about an inch from passenger foam. wife loves that she is lower behind me. remember that Honda and every mc company put a generic seat on a bike that is relatively ergonomically correct for the masses. the first thing I do on every bike I own is bring the bike in and have the seat altered to my ass...bitchin stitchin has also done our goldwing seat and all 3 of our vmaxes. dan is one of the premier seat guys in the country. give him a call and talk about it. 303-238-5404.

Darren
08-29-2016, 07:07 PM
I currently have a Corbin dual tour with dual backrests. The seat is too wide and high for my short legs. I bought the bike used.

I contacted Corbin and they can do a nose job, which is a removal of some foam on the sides, but they cannot lower the seat height.

Mean City Cycles can both reduce the width of the pan and remove foam to get the seat narrower and lower. GREAT for me, but my wife LOVES the Corbin!

So, if you have a passenger have their been any complaints with the OEM seat? If so, what are they? I will be putting on a backrest....still to figure out which one.

If you've had a memory foam upgrade for the passenger, was it worth it?

Greatly appreciate your help/advice.

This forum has been a tremendous blessing to me to get so many things figured out so quickly.

My wife loves the OEM seat

Sonny
08-29-2016, 07:25 PM
My wife loves the OEM seat

+1

Steve 0080
08-29-2016, 08:16 PM
My pillion wants the backrest gone; she says the seat is too wide but much better than the BMW K12RS
so How do I take off the back seat back rest?
Nicki

Should be four bolts and done!

terryboyle
09-14-2016, 12:33 PM
I have a '14 deluxe, so I started with the OEM seat with the low passenger 'butt-chock' backrest.
I like the OEM seat.
So did my girlfriend, but for one thing - the passenger backrest started off too low for her.
The simple fix was to add an extender that raised the backrest up just a few inches, placing it squarely in the small of her back. The one I use is made by Ultimate. It's inexpensive, and super easy to install. Made a world of difference to the girlfriend, and we're both very happy with the seat now.

Does the Ultimate Passenger Backrest bracket fit the Honda brackets and back pad?
I found this http://ultimateseats.ca/honda-motorcycle-accessories/f6b-seats/f6b-backrests/18140-D-BO
My girlfriend finds the "butt chock" useful but not as comforting as the Givi trunk with pad that we had on my previous bike.

many thanks,

DaWadd
09-15-2016, 09:19 AM
Does the Ultimate Passenger Backrest bracket fit the Honda brackets and back pad?
I found this http://ultimateseats.ca/honda-motorcycle-accessories/f6b-seats/f6b-backrests/18140-D-BO
My girlfriend finds the "butt chock" useful but not as comforting as the Givi trunk with pad that we had on my previous bike.

many thanks,

Yes it fits. Thats the one I have. Wife loves it."coffee"