PDA

View Full Version : Don't use a bug scrubber sponge on your Clearview shield....

Redlinez
08-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Didn't realize it was so sensitive to that and don't know if they recommend against it on their site, but it put fine scratches all over the shield. That sucks so I thought I'd better pass on the info in hopes of preventing anyone else from doing it. I've used these scrubbers for years on my cars and never had an issue. Obviously certain kinds of plastics don't like it at all. Stupid move on my part. Just trying to get bugs off......

JackB
08-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Just put a wet towel on your windshield wait a little while they will wipe right off.

Amipro
08-27-2015, 06:25 PM
I keep about 3-4 microfiber cloths in the saddlebags for cleaning the windshield or touching up the tupperware. Pretty inexpensive at Harbor Freight.

willtill
08-27-2015, 06:32 PM
I just received my Clearview windshield; and the bolts/washer/castle nut are missing from the left side of the vent. :icon_rolleyes:

Redlinez
08-27-2015, 08:46 PM
I just noticed tonight that mine is rubbing on the plastic dash and it's wearing the black coating off the bottom side of the windshield. I didn't think I'd be one to complain on a forum about a product, but now it's irritating after paying $250 plus for a plexiglass windshield. I haven't said anything to them as I figure it would be considered my fault. Oh well, live and learn yet again.....

dickiedeals
08-27-2015, 09:10 PM
Didn't realize it was so sensitive to that and don't know if they recommend against it on their site, but it put fine scratches all over the shield. That sucks so I thought I'd better pass on the info in hopes of preventing anyone else from doing it. I've used these scrubbers for years on my cars and never had an issue. Obviously certain kinds of plastics don't like it at all. Stupid move on my part. Just trying to get bugs off......

Never put anything on my windshield except a wet towel for awhile. Bugs wipe right off with a micro cloth acquired at Sams Club or Harbor Freight . I live in Love bug country. National Bird the Mosquito...........Dickie

willtill
08-27-2015, 09:34 PM
I just noticed tonight that mine is rubbing on the plastic dash and it's wearing the black coating off the bottom side of the windshield. I didn't think I'd be one to complain on a forum about a product, but now it's irritating after paying $250 plus for a plexiglass windshield. I haven't said anything to them as I figure it would be considered my fault. Oh well, live and learn yet again.....

Redlinez... you posted that very issue previously in an earlier post about the Clearview Windshield that you installed... and I took it to heart. I installed two small strips of self adhesive Velcro (...the loop part - fuzzy) on the two forward facing edges where you had the issue.

So your post was not lost to anyone... you actually helped. Thanks for that. :yes:

BIGLRY
08-27-2015, 10:25 PM
Never put anything on my windshield except a wet towel for awhile. Bugs wipe right off with a micro cloth acquired at Sams Club or Harbor Freight . I live in Love bug country. National Bird the Mosquito...........DickieYep, soak a clean towel in hot water let set on shield about 20 min and them suicidal bugs wipe right off, same for paint & forks. First thing I do when I check into a motel on an road trip is ask for an extra towel just for my shield, but I don't tell them what I want it for:icon_lol:.

BuzzzPhotos
08-27-2015, 11:17 PM
Yep, soak a clean towel in hot water let set on shield about 20 min and them suicidal bugs wipe right off, same for paint & forks. First thing I do when I check into a motel on an road trip is ask for an extra towel just for my shield, but I don't tell them what I want it for:icon_lol:.

Great idea! I'm normally solo anyhow & there is always an extra towel. I'll try that.

I bought some cool rags at Wingding last year that feal like paper & work great with warm water.

Fla_rider
08-28-2015, 05:57 AM

Something doesn't sound right? I've had mine for almost a year now. The bigger question would be why is your shield moving so much?

willtill
08-28-2015, 06:06 AM
Something doesn't sound right? I've had mine for almost a year now. The bigger question would be why is your shield moving so much?

I can probably answer that; since I just installed mine last night.

Clearview sends out a piece of weatherstripping to apply to the top edge of the fairing; where the windshield contacts it. The weatherstripping is pretty thick; and does not extend all of the way the the edges of the fairing; since those edges are slightly raised; and it would distort the shield if it was extended to those edges.

So... once you have the windshield bolted down and everything is snug against the weatherstripping; there is nothing between the black striped surface of the windshield and those forward facing outer areas of the top of the fairing. Just like how the OEM short shield fits against (which is not an issue for it).

So... I think that wind vibration from the shield chafes the striped black area of the Clearview shield where it's making contact against the fairing.

So... the fix for that is two fuzzy Velco strips attached to that fairings outer point of contact(s) against the shield. Thin enough and we'll see if it works.

willtill
08-28-2015, 06:11 AM
Question:

For those of you that bought a Clearview windshield with a vent installed; is the outer portion of the vent fabricated out of smoke colored plastic as well; if you have a tinted windshield?

My new Clearview windshield is light tinted, and the rear portion of the vent is smoke colored plastic. But the front portion is clear plastic. Looks weird. I would think that both pieces of the vent would be smoke colored?

Redlinez
08-29-2015, 10:04 AM
Definitely nothing I can do about the rub marks in the black lower section now. Oh well. Their instructions just said to place that foam strip as pictured, which I did. I tightened the windshield bolts snug, which is when they stop.

stroguy
08-29-2015, 12:55 PM
You can consider some vinyl overlay. Just ebay search for clear carbon fiber auto vinyl. That's what I covered my scratched Baggershield with.

Steve 0080
08-30-2015, 12:06 AM
Question:

For those of you that bought a Clearview windshield with a vent installed; is the outer portion of the vent fabricated out of smoke colored plastic as well; if you have a tinted windshield?

My new Clearview windshield is light tinted, and the rear portion of the vent is smoke colored plastic. But the front portion is clear plastic. Looks weird. I would think that both pieces of the vent would be smoke colored?

I had one and thought it was a GREAT shield... can't remember how the bottom was... Big Sexy is bringing one to the rally to sell.....