PDA

View Full Version : Light upgrades...what are the best

F6bisnext
08-29-2015, 07:38 AM
Looking for input on the best:

headlights....hid, led, bulbs....which is the best solution
fog/driving....I've read about the 960's and new socal with led trim and turn signals.......so either of those
Brake lights....what are the best for run/turn/brake. I want BRIGHT and noticeable.

These are safety upgrades for me. The more visibility the better.

I know there have been a ton of comments on some of this stuff, but haven't found one complete thread on the best of all of them.

Thanks for any input. I greatly value your opinions.

Steve 0080
08-29-2015, 08:02 AM
This will get the conversation started....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tThyNehH3G0

Hornblower
08-29-2015, 08:16 AM
No doubt, with a question like you're asking, you're going to get a variety of answers. The problem is, it's subjective. And, in addition, few if any have tried all the possibilities out there to give a valuable opinion. And, on top of that, new choices are being introduced all the time. Finally, even those of us who have spent considerable time and money on light upgrades don't even agree on what's best. OK, with that rant-style intro out of the way, here are my choices (take them for what they're worth)...

Tail and brake lights: The stock tail is insufficient so many of us have upgraded with the turn signal conversion kits but even then, had to find better LED bulbs to make them brighter. Plenty of reading already on this subject. SoCal has some LED choices as well.

Headlights: Stock bulbs are "yellow" and don't project a lot of light. They look particularly bad when you have "whiter" LED fogs and turn signals to contrast with it. Many have upgraded to HID's and they have good color temp but scatter light badly. I upgraded to LED's but they require some special adapters and sealing boots. Again, plenty has already been written if you'll look.

Fogs: Early on, the 960's were clearly the way to go. I still believe these are the brightest. With four 10-watt LED's, they really light the way. Other choices have come along that look nicer and may be of better quality. Anyway, that's my :2cents:

Retired Army
08-29-2015, 08:19 AM
The advent of the halogen light and the light emitting diode greatly improved the quality of light. Being as conspicuous as possible is a large part of risk management. Before making a decision on which product will satisfy you, I would check with the state BMV to see if there any regulations on lighting.

RickJ
08-29-2015, 10:25 AM
No doubt, with a question like you're asking, you're going to get a variety of answers. The problem is, it's subjective. And, in addition, few if any have tried all the possibilities out there to give a valuable opinion. And, on top of that, new choices are being introduced all the time. Finally, even those of us who have spent considerable time and money on light upgrades don't even agree on what's best. OK, with that rant-style intro out of the way, here are my choices (take them for what they're worth)...

Tail and brake lights: The stock tail is insufficient so many of us have upgraded with the turn signal conversion kits but even then, had to find better LED bulbs to make them brighter. Plenty of reading already on this subject. SoCal has some LED choices as well.

Headlights: Stock bulbs are "yellow" and don't project a lot of light. They look particularly bad when you have "whiter" LED fogs and turn signals to contrast with it. Many have upgraded to HID's and they have good color temp but scatter light badly. I upgraded to LED's but they require some special adapters and sealing boots. Again, plenty has already been written if you'll look.

Fogs: Early on, the 960's were clearly the way to go. I still believe these are the brightest. With four 10-watt LED's, they really light the way. Other choices have come along that look nicer and may be of better quality. Anyway, that's my :2cents:

well said. I tried to answer a similar question on an earlier thread...^^^^ is what I was trying to express

ths61
08-29-2015, 11:50 AM
While installing my PakIt Rak mount last night I put in 2 of the SoCalMotoGear Red Running/Brake bright LEDs tail lights and 2 of the Amber Turn bright LEDs. I did the left side first so I could compare against the right incandescent side. I noticed that the Red running LED has less intensity difference between the Running and Brake states. The Running LED is much brighter than the stock and the brake LED is not that much brighter than stock, thus less difference between the 2 states.

Has anyone else noticed this with the SoCalMotoGear rear replacement LEDs ?

I am still waiting for the new "quadrilateral" SoCalMotoGear combination LED running lights/LED Eyebrow/Amber turn signals. Cruiseman said in his video that they were the brightest that he has tried. I assume his comment was for direct Honda replacements and not for 3rd party lights like Clearwater Lights Darla/Krista 2/Erica, and Baja Designs Squadron Pros.

https://www.socalmotogear.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/Final-04092015.jpg

xcrider
08-30-2015, 08:12 PM
Anyone with info / experience with these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-H7-80-Watt-LED-Bulbs-for-Honda-Goldwing-GL1800-and-F6B-10-107-x2-/291236611281?hash=item43cf0e04d1&vxp=mtr

LacoocheeBoy
08-30-2015, 09:00 PM
I installed the whole SoCal offering. I agree that the rear end is not that much brighter but the front end is an Effn bright SOB. The high beams are brighter than the driving lights though. I am very happy with the setup and my buddies that I ride with say they can see me coming a mile away. Of course they ride Harley's and I can HEAR them coming a quarter mile away. What's better? I know I made the right choice...

Steve 0080
08-30-2015, 09:29 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-H7-80-Watt-LED-Bulbs-for-Honda-Goldwing-GL1800-and-F6B-10-107-x2-/291236611281?hash=item43cf0e04d1&vxp=mtr

Seem to be high $$$$$$

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/h7%20led%20bulbs/

There are other sources out there....

xcrider
08-31-2015, 08:08 AM
Tried those in my XC. NOT impressed at all & went back to the HID's. Possible it's the shape of the reflector but they just didn't cut it for me.

Hornblower
08-31-2015, 09:12 AM

JUNK! Don't bother!

xcrider
08-31-2015, 09:33 AM
Tks for the info :yes: