PDA

View Full Version : De-badging valve covers?

willtill
08-30-2015, 05:23 PM
My Google-Foo is not strong at the moment; and a couple of searches in this message board yielded no favorable results.

Is there anything being currently marketed; or has anyone come up with an idea to de-badge the "Honda" emblem on both valve covers ?

dickiedeals
08-30-2015, 05:37 PM
I sanded the chrome and painted them Semi-Gloss black. Still say's Honda but not as noticeable.. No time for photo's getting ready for Franklin.....Dickie

Willl
08-30-2015, 05:58 PM
http://rivcoproducts.com/shop-by-motorcycle/honda/honda-f6b/aero-flip-out-highway-pegs-for-honda-gold-wing-gl1800-f6b-and-newer-valkyrie-models-chrome.html?___SID=U

F6B1911
08-30-2015, 06:40 PM
I removed my valve cover trims, sanded them a bit to scuff the finish.
Then I used a body filler to fill in the Honda lettering, sanded it smooth (took me two coats!!)
Sprayed them with a few coats of primer.
Then sprayed on a coat of black textured bed liner.
It's a nice contrast with the smooth flat black heads.

RickJ
08-30-2015, 06:54 PM
http://rivcoproducts.com/shop-by-motorcycle/honda/honda-f6b/aero-flip-out-highway-pegs-for-honda-gold-wing-gl1800-f6b-and-newer-valkyrie-models-chrome.html?___SID=U

ya beat me! ^^^that^^^

willtill
08-30-2015, 07:14 PM
I sanded the chrome and painted them Semi-Gloss black. Still say's Honda but not as noticeable.. No time for photo's getting ready for Franklin.....Dickie

Thinking of possibly doing that... not many options avail.... :icon_frown:

Not sure if that peg position is right for me though... hoping that I will see examples of that installed down in Franklin, NC next week...

I removed my valve cover trims, sanded them a bit to scuff the finish.
Then I used a body filler to fill in the Honda lettering, sanded it smooth (took me two coats!!)
Sprayed them with a few coats of primer.
Then sprayed on a coat of black textured bed liner.
It's a nice contrast with the smooth flat black heads.

The more detail... the better. :yes: Am surprised that vendors have not come up with another option...

Steve 0080
08-30-2015, 09:46 PM
Man, you guys are killing me...how can you sand chrome off a bike, any bike...reminds me of a person who sanded a Rune smooth... hold on got to go throw up..... :puke::022:

shooter
08-31-2015, 03:46 PM
Blasphemous Steve , just Blasphemous. Absolutely no respect. :yikes:

stroguy
08-31-2015, 05:49 PM
You guys should come up with a 'chrome pride' flag and protest. Chrome Bikes Matter!

richw56
08-31-2015, 06:59 PM
Willtill -
Remember that there are three different settings for the Rivco pegs, so they are fairly adjustable. I like 'em.

willtill
08-31-2015, 07:27 PM
Willtill -
Remember that there are three different settings for the Rivco pegs, so they are fairly adjustable. I like 'em.

Yes. I hope to be able to check them out, in Franklin. :icon_cool: then I can make a decision on them. :yes:

F6B1911
08-31-2015, 07:28 PM
You guys should come up with a 'chrome pride' flag and protest. Chrome Bikes Matter!

Stroguy, haven't you been watching the news, that's politically incorrect, you can only say "ALL" bikes matter.

GiddyupF6B
08-31-2015, 07:40 PM
I plasti-dipped mine black before I had my Rivco highway pegs.....quick and easy solution.

stroguy
08-31-2015, 08:08 PM
Stroguy, haven't you been watching the news, that's politically incorrect, you can only say "ALL" bikes matter.

Even MotoGuzzi? I need to pull my head out of my azz.

shooter
08-31-2015, 08:32 PM

I would , but they would probably take mine and Steve's flag away. Then we would go Medievel on their azz. We are Chromeaholics and we don't take shyt from nobody!! Chrome is a way of life. Beware of older Chromeaholics. We don't fight fair. We will just shoot your azz................sorry......I got a little carried away.

F6B1911
08-31-2015, 08:33 PM
Even MotoGuzzi? I need to pull my head out of my azz.

Oops, one more update, we have to lose the qualifier, "Bikes Matter."

ths61
08-31-2015, 08:45 PM
I'm looking into filling mine and having it painted with the "Spray Chrome" finish. The company is currently busy with a large job and is able to do it in the fall. Maybe we could get a group buy going if enough are interested.

https://www.creationsnchrome.com (https://www.creationsnchrome.com/)

willtill
09-22-2015, 07:54 AM
I plasti-dipped mine black before I had my Rivco highway pegs.....quick and easy solution.

Did you use the aerosol Plasti-Dip product? Or Plasti-Dip in a can?

Does the engine heat from the head(s) have any effect on the Plasti-Dip; such as melting or softening it?

I am thinking of sanding down the chrome finish myself. I am trying to get away from anything chromed; on this particular F6B.

Retired Army
09-22-2015, 08:57 AM

Why stop with just a the bike?

GiddyupF6B
09-22-2015, 09:33 AM
Did you use the aerosol Plasti-Dip product? Or Plasti-Dip in a can?

Does the engine heat from the head(s) have any effect on the Plasti-Dip; such as melting or softening it?

I am thinking of sanding down the chrome finish myself. I am trying to get away from anything chromed; on this particular F6B.

Use the spray can of black Plasti-dip, heat is not an issue there.

willtill
09-22-2015, 09:45 AM
Excellent. Thanks!

53driver
09-22-2015, 01:38 PM
Man, you guys are killing me...how can you sand chrome off a bike, any bike...reminds me of a person who sanded a Rune smooth... hold on got to go throw up..... :puke::022:

And all that ^ from a guy who turned the azz end of this gorgeous bike into a jack-o-lantern???? :icon_mrgreen:

F6B1911
09-22-2015, 02:05 PM
And all that ^ from a guy who turned the azz end of this gorgeous bike into a jack-o-lantern???? :icon_mrgreen:

Was that a jack-o-lantern? I thought that was a Muppets character.

53driver
09-22-2015, 02:10 PM
Was that a jack-o-lantern? I thought that was a Muppets character.

(Halloween is approaching...)

Willl
09-22-2015, 02:29 PM
:duck:

:popcorn:

F6B1911
09-27-2015, 06:38 AM
My Google-Foo is not strong at the moment; and a couple of searches in this message board yielded no favorable results.
Is there anything being currently marketed; or has anyone come up with an idea to de-badge the "Honda" emblem on both valve covers ?

I was unable to find what I was looking for, so did it the hard way.

willtill
09-27-2015, 07:32 AM

So I assume you sandpapered; bondo'ed and re-painted?

Dirtstiff's F6B
09-27-2015, 10:07 AM

Black chrome paint, new double side tape.

F6B1911
09-27-2015, 12:18 PM
So I assume you sandpapered; bondo'ed and re-painted?

Yes, exactly.

willtill
09-27-2015, 01:38 PM
I'm going to make it a winter project.

stepbill
09-28-2015, 05:05 PM

That looks great!!!! :yes:

stepbill
09-28-2015, 05:06 PM

Steve must be on vacation :stirthepot::lolup:

F6B1911
09-28-2015, 05:41 PM
Steve must be on vacation :stirthepot::lolup:

Rumor has it, he got lost on his way home from Franklin, he was last seen in Maggie Valley on a late model Vespa.

MHutch26
10-08-2015, 08:19 PM
I blacked out my valve covers with Rivcos bolt on highway pegs. Much more comfortable ride on long trips also!

tinknocker
10-10-2015, 06:37 AM
Here's my alternative3506...it goes along with these pipes...3507

willtill
10-10-2015, 07:10 AM

Excellent. Thanks!

Falling back to original plan A...

...I have some left over Plasti-Dip black spray paint in the shed from a previous project. I'm going to pop off those badges today, and hit them with it. Dries pretty quick. Will remount and see what it looks like.

This will only be temporary until I have a more permanent fix for them.

The Honda logo will still be visible... but at least the startling accentuation of chrome for it; will not be so glaring.

I may even do my rear brake pedal as well. Why Honda chose to leave such an abrupt; senses jolting; large; silverish looking accent on the side of an otherwise clean; blacked/matte silver bike... one may never know. :icon_confused: I do plan to powder coat that in black; for $20.00 locally... but that will be in the winter when salt is on the road and the bike is suspended from riding on it.

I'll post a Pic of it when I get to it. :yes:

GiddyupF6B
10-10-2015, 07:53 AM
Falling back to original plan A...

...I have some left over Plasti-Dip black spray paint in the shed from a previous project. I'm going to pop off those badges today, and hit them with it. Dries pretty quick. Will remount and see what it looks like.

This will only be temporary until I have a more permanent fix for them.

The Honda logo will still be visible... but at least the startling accentuation of chrome for it; will not be so glaring.

I may even do my rear brake pedal as well. Why Honda chose to leave such an abrupt; senses jolting; large; silverish looking accent on the side of an otherwise clean; blacked/matte silver bike... one may never know. :icon_confused: I do plan to powder coat that in black; for $20.00 locally... but that will be in the winter when salt is on the road and the bike is suspended from riding on it.

I'll post a Pic of it when I get to it. :yes:

Your brake pedal will wear off quickly from your foot being on it, I did this at first. I got a black powder coated pedal from Steve and that has held up for over a year now. Plastidip is good for areas that don't get touched at all. Some of the Plastidip on my bike is going on 2 years and still looks great. Good luck!