PDA

View Full Version : What Taller Shield Do you Have, How Tall Are You, and How do you Like It?

Pseudo-Fed
08-30-2015, 07:32 PM
(Using Stock Seat…..8-)

I've seen a flare 14" in person at a dealer--looks nice. I've also used MadStad's products on a couple Yamaha.

I'm 5'9", with 30" inseam. What taller shield do you have, and how do you like it? Please state your height.

I'm looking to look over the shield, preferably tinted, but be able to keep the visor up for radio and breeze in hot weather.

Thanks!

ff73148
08-30-2015, 07:54 PM
It also depends on what seat you have on your F6B.

Pseudo-Fed
08-30-2015, 08:08 PM
It also depends on what seat you have on your F6B.

Thanks. Edited to add using stock seat.

Steve 0080
08-30-2015, 09:38 PM
Try the Mad Stadd 13" you should be happy !!!

Ixol Phaane
08-30-2015, 10:02 PM
The Madstad 11", dark tint, is very good for me.
(5'9" w 32" inseam)
I look over the top from the stock seat.

nvmyf6
08-31-2015, 04:50 AM
I installed the 11", Short Dark Smoke Windshield from Show Chrome, located on the Wingstuff website.

At 5'-6" tall, I see over it, no problem.

F6bisnext
08-31-2015, 04:52 AM
Great shield. No buffeting. Came with the bike. Bought it used.

Pseudo-Fed
08-31-2015, 04:56 AM
Leaning toward Madstad. They recommend 11" shield for 5'8" to 5'11". I've read a few threads talking about getting 13" instead. Are most 5'9"ers out there happy with the 11"? Why does this thread sound naughty?…..8-)

seadog
08-31-2015, 07:32 AM
I have the one that you can go from 19 inches back to 11 inches when it gets hotter outside and I also noticed that it takes the wind noise down and lets you hear the stereo better at 80 miles per hour. If your into distance riding it is a nice option. Although your personal preference is the tell on windshields, you would have to fight some of these guys to get their Madstad windshield away from them.

Fla_rider
08-31-2015, 08:14 AM
Leaning toward Madstad. They recommend 11" shield for 5'8" to 5'11". I've read a few threads talking about getting 13" instead. Are most 5'9"ers out there happy with the 11"? Why does this thread sound naughty?…..8-)

Pseudo - this topic has been covered many times before. And I'm sure your'll have more questions about other accessories, please remember the search function the forum has. Try to see if we've covered the question first. You might be surprised at the amount of answers you will find.

I like a Clearview tall sports tourer with vent combined with baker wings. I'm 5'7" and use the stock seat but I sit tall in the saddle. If it's hot I open the wings and the vent.

I'm not keen on the looks of the Manstad while I understand the function is great.

opas ride
08-31-2015, 08:55 AM
Baggershield for me..5'9" tall with Mustang seat...I look through the shield which is what I want as the wind noise is very minimal and no buffeting that I have noticed so far....Many choices, due some research and you will find what you want.....Ride safe

JGF6B
08-31-2015, 09:32 AM
I have the 11" Madstad. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. Stock seat. It works great for me and my passenger. No buffeting, no ear plugs, music sounds great even at hi-way speeds.
I do think it is ugly though. I may try something else in the future because I think it is so ugly.

RickJ
08-31-2015, 10:08 AM
15" from gasket, cee Baily, I'm like 5' 9 3/4" slouched I'm behind shield, upright I'm over it...works for me. It has the vent...which I like- I can aim air at my face.

dickiedeals
08-31-2015, 10:30 AM
I have the 11" Madstad. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. Stock seat. It works great for me and my passenger. No buffeting, no ear plugs, music sounds great even at hi-way speeds.
I do think it is ugly though. I may try something else in the future because I think it is so ugly.

Mastad 11 here. Dark Smoke. Adjusted so I look over it a couple inches. No wind buffeting like I had with others. Didn't like the looks of it but it Grows on you. Plus I get lots of positive comment about how space age it looks. I'm 5'-11" with 29" inseam, Mustang seat. I've tried 5 different ones and so far like this best. I'll let you know after this up coming Franklin Rally.Have not ridden it in the rain yet....................................Dickie

six2go
08-31-2015, 02:00 PM
I'm 5'8" and am using the stock seat. This is what I have done for windshields with my thoughts.

1) Cee Bailey's 11" Dark Smoke. Way better than stock for wind noise and ability to hear the speakers. If I slouched just a little, it was better yet.

2) Clear View Sport in the short height. An improvement over the CB and still allows some air.

3) Clear View Sport Touring in the short height. I didn't notice much difference between this one and the Sport. It may block a bit more wind. I have had this one on since Spring but would consider going back to the Sport next Summer.

The Clear Views have adjustment slots so you can fine tune the height by 3/4". I didn't feel much difference between all the way up, or all the way down So I run them all the way down as I think they look better that way.

I can EASILY look over all of these and I also get some air, none of them have vents as I don't care for that look. I may try a Madstad sometime in the future, but right now I'm happy with either of the Clear Views.

marmilia
08-31-2015, 05:08 PM
Here is my experience for what it is worth.... I'm just a tad over 6' with a longer than average torso and about 31" inseam and I am running a stock seat.

I ordered a Baggershield 11/ 19 windshield the day I got home with my bike and it worked great, I loved the looks of it but I thought it was kind of flimsily and after several attempts could not get it to stop squeaking because it flexed and rubbed against the back side of the faring. Also when the top portion was in the down position it rubbed against the bottom portion leaving a noticeable rub mark right where I look through the top portion when it is in the up position, If it were not for these problems I would still have the Baggershield on my bike.

Then I decided to do what I should have done in the first place and ordered a Madstad 13" medium smoke shield. Once I got used to the ugliness of it (the looks kind of grows on you with some time....LOL) I love it! I now have a fairly short shield that made my radio louder that performs like a tall shield and is adjustable for different conditions.

BobR
08-31-2015, 05:52 PM
I am 6 ft tall standing but 6'5" sitting. Tall torso with only a 30" inseam. I have a Corbin seat and the bike came with a 11" dark tinted Madstad. I live on a dirt road and need to see the potholes on my road. I called Madstad and they made me a clear 12" windshield. picked it up at their factory two days later. I love being able to see through it and here in the hot Florida Summer being able to drop the shield to let air past is nice and when the rain comes in the afternoon I can slide it back up to stay dry.

wiggy
08-31-2015, 06:30 PM
I'm 6'0 and have the stock seat and went with the Baggershield as well. It's 11in high but has a slot that allows it to be adjusted upward to a 12in height. Adding the top portion raises it up to 20 inches.
Most of the time, I ride with only the lower portion showing.

I might add that when tucked away, the upper portion shouldn't rub anywhere. Mine doesn't rub and is held firmly in place with equal spacing away from the bottom tinted portion.

lloydmoore1
08-31-2015, 06:57 PM
I'm 6'1" with 34 inseam, stock seat.

Have the honda tall with vent..good protection..must look through it..acts like a sail in the wind and moves the bike a bit more than I liked.now taking up room in my garage never to be used again.:banghead:

Now have the light tint 13" mad stad..run this all the way down with great protection and can look through or over depending on the adjustment..would highly recommend this set up. Wish I had got this one first.:icon_lol:::banghead::banghead::banghead:

opas ride
08-31-2015, 08:24 PM
Here is my experience for what it is worth.... I'm just a tad over 6' with a longer than average torso and about 31" inseam and I am running a stock seat.

I ordered a Baggershield 11/ 19 windshield the day I got home with my bike and it worked great, I loved the looks of it but I thought it was kind of flimsily and after several attempts could not get it to stop squeaking because it flexed and rubbed against the back side of the faring. Also when the top portion was in the down position it rubbed against the bottom portion leaving a noticeable rub mark right where I look through the top portion when it is in the up position, If it were not for these problems I would still have the Baggershield on my bike.

Then I decided to do what I should have done in the first place and ordered a Madstad 13" medium smoke shield. Once I got used to the ugliness of it (the looks kind of grows on you with some time....LOL) I love it! I now have a fairly short shield that made my radio louder that performs like a tall shield and is adjustable for different conditions.
I also have a Baggershield as I said on an above post, and have no issues with squeaking/flexing or any of the issues you had..Perhaps it was not mounted right or something was wrong???...Another poster here also says he has no issues with the same shield...Matstad is a great shield, from what I read, but too "butt ugly"for me..., for others it is fine...Choice is great!!

seadog
08-31-2015, 08:29 PM

My bagger shield doesn't squeak and when upper portion is inverted doesn't rub on the lower portion. I believe it was improperly installed, because mine has none of those issues.

seadog
08-31-2015, 08:36 PM
I also have a Baggershield as I said on an above post, and have no issues with squeaking/flexing or any of the issues you had..Perhaps it was not mounted right or something was wrong???...Another poster here also says he has no issues with the same shield...Matstad is a great shield, from what I read, but too "butt ugly"for me..., for others it is fine...Choice is great!!

Looked at the madstad but could not bring myself to put some butt ugly windshield on my 6 and am very happy with the Bagger shield and it definitely looks like the windshield that should have been put on at the factory.

dickiedeals
09-01-2015, 05:48 AM
Looked at the madstad but could not bring myself to put some butt ugly windshield on my 6 and am very happy with the Bagger shield and it definitely looks like the windshield that should have been put on at the factory.

I felt the same about the Madstad until last year at the Franklin Rally I acquired one.Took me the better part of a year before I installed it. Wow way smoother air than the BaggerShield, can turn down the radio a few notches and hear it clearer, and the Ugly actually grows on you. I've use 4 other brands that all didn't provide near as nice an air picket as this Madstad. I have the dark Smoke adjusted so I can see a couple inches over it. Try it you'll like it or you could do like me and spend $1500 or more on Windshields before I tried the Butt Ugly one as you called it.........................After Franklin (Leaving for Lake City Florida tomorrow) I'll have a Baggershield, and a Tall Clearview with a vent for sale if anyone is interested.............See you at the Franklin Rally:icon_cool:............Dickie

GaTeach
09-01-2015, 06:54 AM
15" from gasket, cee Baily, I'm like 5' 9 3/4" slouched I'm behind shield, upright I'm over it...works for me. It has the vent...which I like- I can aim air at my face.

This is exactly me.

I loooooooooove the way the stock windshield looks. I hate everything else about it. Horrible.

I got the tall shield with the vent and if i'm slumped at all, I'm looking through it. If I sit up straight, I"m looking over it. And there is a weird seating position where I'm looking right at the top of it.

I really don't like it at all. But I can hear my tunes and there is no buffeting.

Really wish it was about two inches shorter. (and I've never said that before in my entire life :) )

seadog
09-01-2015, 07:19 AM
I felt the same about the Madstad until last year at the Franklin Rally I acquired one.Took me the better part of a year before I installed it. Wow way smoother air than the BaggerShield, can turn down the radio a few notches and hear it clearer, and the Ugly actually grows on you. I've use 4 other brands that all didn't provide near as nice an air picket as this Madstad. I have the dark Smoke adjusted so I can see a couple inches over it. Try it you'll like it or you could do like me and spend $1500 or more on Windshields before I tried the Butt Ugly one as you called it.........................After Franklin (Leaving for Lake City Florida tomorrow) I'll have a Baggershield, and a Tall Clearview with a vent for sale if anyone is interested.............See you at the Franklin Rally:icon_cool:............Dickie

Dickie, I really don't have a problem with the bagger shield, it does everything I want it to do which is keep the bugs off me, lesson the amount of air trying to blow me off the bike, it lets me hear my stereo better and there just isn't a problem that I have encounter and the other thing is, it looks dam good on the F6B, I will take it off when its so scratched up I can't see thru it anymore and put a new bagger shield on in its place.:yes:

F6B1911
09-01-2015, 08:26 AM

I thought the same thing, but it grows on you, in fact, I really like the look now.

willtill
09-01-2015, 08:29 AM
I had a Madstad (just the brackets) on my DL650 a long time ago; re utilizing the stock OEM shield, the Madstad definitely is a good way to cuctomize the airflow and prevent turbulence. In it's case; once size does fit all most of the time.

Madstad is ugly though; just like my Vstrom was. But I loved them both. :yes: