PDA

View Full Version : Harley “Test Our Metal” ride

Canuck_Doug
08-31-2015, 06:54 PM
A couple buddies and I attended a local HD dealer this past weekend to test ride a HD. I’ve had many bikes in the past, all Metric no Harley’s so I was anxious to road test a few models.
I stood in a lineup of 60 + people and signed up to try a 2016 Road Glide. 50 miles on the odometer.
My buddies that were with me are HD die hards so I walk a thin line trying to profess the virtues of a F6B.
Bottom line, the Road Glide had some positive aspects; a nice seat, decent torque, a gear display and a large screen for Nav/radio.
On the negative, which would be a huge show stopper for me, is the engine vibration under 2000 rpm. The thing shook like a John deer accelerating and decelerating.
As I came back to the dealer after a 10 minute ride, I thought, if the F6B was an HD product, sales would be exponential. One thing HD has is a phenomenal marketing engine.
Anyway, I really enjoyed my ride home on my F6B. Smooth, powerful and compared to the HD Road Glide, I feel like I would be going to a party in t-shirt rather than a tux. Man I love my B.

JackB
08-31-2015, 07:40 PM
Every time I drive a Harley I feel like I when back 20 years in time even when I had my old Valkyrie. With the F6B maybe another 10 years.

Coop creek
08-31-2015, 09:42 PM
If you hop off your F6b and onto a Harley, of course you are going to notice the vibration. The 103 twin cam motor needs to be 2500 rpm or so or you are lugging it. The touring bikes smooth out nicely at speed, which you will not experience on a demo ride. That said, it will never have the turbine like feel of a Wing.

wantone
09-01-2015, 06:41 AM
When in sturgis this year I rented street glide for few days. And I must confess that I really enjoyed that bike. At idle it does vibrate but at speeds it smooths out. I was impressed with the bike and I'm seriously considering buying it next riding season after I totaled by F6B last month. I felt more natural sitting on it than f6b cuz of height. F6b/goldwing definitely need suspension upgrade and so does street glide. heat issue is another thing with HD motor, I guess all air cooled vtwins have that problem and it can be fixed to certain degree. Im only 37, so I guess I can take a chance with HD and if things don't work out I'll try goldwing again.

Or why not have both :) All bikes have positives and negatives. We shud enjoy them for what they are.

No Handle Sam
09-01-2015, 08:32 AM
"All bikes have positives and negatives. We shud enjoy them for what they are."

:agree:

Steve 0080
09-01-2015, 08:59 AM
+1...same goes for girls....

shooter
09-01-2015, 09:09 AM
Steve , I am in awe of your wisdom.