PDA

View Full Version : Best Pocket 9mm?

fxdl2051
08-31-2015, 11:28 PM
In the interests of saving space, anyone recommend a jam proof, accurate, small frame 9MM semi for camping trips? I just don't want to carry any full frame guns, I'm pretty maxed out space wise already and 38s are too light a load IMHO. I've got a CCW permit so no worries there. Thanks upfront.

gmorstad
08-31-2015, 11:31 PM
I am a firearms instructor and have had some exposure to the new Glock 43 including shooting three different examples in the last week. It is an excellent concealed carry firearm.

ths61
08-31-2015, 11:33 PM
I am a firearms instructor and have had some exposure to the new Glock 43 including shooting three different examples in the last week. It is an excellent concealed carry firearm.

Wasn't there some early problems with the 43 (think later versions have addressed the initial issues)?

You might want to also check out a Ruger LC9 (2 magazine sizes) and a Sig Sauer P938 or a Glock G26 (multiple magazine sizes) if you don't mind a thicker double stack.

stroguy
08-31-2015, 11:57 PM
G43 is nice but a lil flippy with the 9MM, G26 is a nice pack pistol, sometimes takes time to get used to the pinky being off. I am a recent Springfield XDS9 buyer and like it with the extended mag. I would more suggest the XDS45 just to be able to carry a 240gr bullet. The 9MM will handle plenty of animals including the two hoofed, but if it were the oddball bear or cougar you could stumble on I would prefer a lil heavier load. The one thing guaranteed is you are going to get a ton of different advice here and it all has good merits.

53driver
09-01-2015, 12:18 AM
Glock 30 Short Frame in .45 fits nicely alongside my "katfish gut" walking and riding.

And yes, "why .45?" Because they don't make a .46.....

shooter
09-01-2015, 03:26 AM
Glock 30 Short Frame in .45 fits nicely alongside my "katfish gut" walking and riding.

And yes, "why .45?" Because they don't make a .46.....

I would have to agree with 53 on one issue and that us the 45 ACP. You state that a 38 is too light and yet a 38 will do anything a 9mm will. However if a 9mm is it then a Springfield XDs would be my choice. If the 45 is it then the same gun is available. I would pick the Springfield over the Glock simply because I feel it has a better trigger out of the box. The Glock is a fine instrument if you choose to go that way. I've been carrying a XDs in 45 every day for the last three years and it has held up well. I shoot it at least once a month to stay sharp. I like it so much I bought a second one and put in the safe just in case.

Jimmytee
09-01-2015, 05:02 AM
Not a common size on our bikes, but I like the gear wrenches. Hard to justify just one though. And I don't know if a 9 mm would be my choice if I were to only have one.:icon_biggrin:16126

dickiedeals
09-01-2015, 05:23 AM
Glock 43 makes a nice ankle piece but I prefer the Glock 41 long Slide in a Shoulder Rig.The Ruger LCP makes a good back pocket gun that prints like a wallet..Carried the Glock 19 for years and still do in a fag bag or Fanny Pack when boating'paragliding' or going to the beach::beach:..................................Dic kie

dickiedeals
09-01-2015, 05:27 AM
Not a common size on our bikes, but I like the gear wrenches. Hard to justify just one though. And I don't know if a 9 mm would be my choice if I were to only have one.:icon_biggrin:16126

10mm is a better suited caliber wrench..........................Dickie::icon_cool:

F6bisnext
09-01-2015, 05:27 AM
Don't forget to look at the SHield, which you can also get in .40. The shield 9mm can hold 2 more rounds that the Glock 43 and a better trigger. Whichever you choose, pick good quality defensive ammo. Corbon DPX, Hornady Critical Duty/Critical Defense are all great loads.

Phantom
09-01-2015, 06:08 AM
Don't forget to look at the SHield, which you can also get in .40. The shield 9mm can hold 2 more rounds that the Glock 43 and a better trigger. Whichever you choose, pick good quality defensive ammo. Corbon DPX, Hornady Critical Duty/Critical Defense are all great loads.
Smith & Wesson MP Shield .40 :biggthumpup:

F6B1911
09-01-2015, 06:22 AM
In the interests of saving space, anyone recommend a jam proof, accurate, small frame 9MM semi for camping trips?

That's a tall order, if you want jam proof, you'll need to consider a wheel gun.
Accurate and small frame is going to be difficult, accuracy will have to come with plenty of practice.
I've had a G26 for quite a few years without any malfunction, the G43 would save space if you want small and simple.

Good luck with your search, let us know what you decide on.

blackmetoc
09-01-2015, 06:43 AM

I was wondering how long it would take. Well played, sir. Well played.

GaTeach
09-01-2015, 06:50 AM
Ruger LC9

perfect

Spanky
09-01-2015, 06:55 AM
Sig sauer compact p250 9MM fits well in the cubby, and Smith & Wesson MP Shield .40 is a great carry. Bersa thunder .380 is a nice small frame to have.
I have learned, that holsters are bulky and take up space. I opt to use Clip Draw to securely carry. http://clipdraw.com/
paired with the Smith, It's like carrying nothing at all.

blackmetoc
09-01-2015, 07:12 AM
The name brands are putting out good reliable firearms. It still comes down to what fits your hand and conceal desires best, in my view. I also like the FNH pistols. The stippling is a bit aggressive, but they are also very solid firearms.

Hornblower
09-01-2015, 07:14 AM
In the interests of saving space, anyone recommend a jam proof, accurate, small frame 9MM semi for camping trips? I just don't want to carry any full frame guns, I'm pretty maxed out space wise already and 38s are too light a load IMHO. I've got a CCW permit so no worries there. Thanks upfront.

Your original post mentioned "Best Pocket 9mm". Maybe most of us would agree that the best concealed carry weapon is the one you have with you when you need it. In that regard, and since you mentioned pocket, my personal choice is a Sig P238. It's not a 9 but a .380 but with today's ammo, I sure wouldn't want to get shot with it. And, it's definitely small enough to fit in your pocket, even in a pocket holster. Also, it's amazingly accurate for such a small gun. If you really have to have a 9, of course you could go with the Sig P938.

hardtail
09-01-2015, 08:10 AM
+1 for Sig Sauer. Mine is a P230. Best carry piece is the one you have that you shoot well!! May take multiple trys to find it. Maybe you can try a friends before you purchase. just a thought

shooter
09-01-2015, 08:24 AM
+2 I have a 938 I carry sometimes. It's accurate and reliable.

Navvet
09-01-2015, 08:29 AM
Ruger LC9

perfect

+1 :lolup::lolup::lolup:

My wife and I have matching LC9's with lasers .....

shot his foot

GaTeach
09-01-2015, 09:24 AM

shot his foot

I have the 140th Ruger Anniv edition. The engraving is beautiful. Rugers are works of art. I also have a 1911 that I LOVE. And a 40. And a 357mag. And an AR556. and....lol

Bill1584
09-01-2015, 09:52 AM
The Beretta Nano is all the 9mm you could want. Simple, reliable, accurate and easily concealable. On weekends it is by its lonesome in my front right shorts pocket, and during the week it resides under my left armpit. For ammo, it eats anything. I had a 1200 rd batch of reloads, an underpowered load with 124 gr hollow points (big blunder), and it ate them just fine.

Seriously, the new ss glock series is pretty cool. Either the 380(g42) or the 9mm(g43) would serve you just as well. The LCP is very capable, and I know two cops who use them for 2nd's. I also like the .45 acp, in any form, really. I am NOT a firearms expert or instructor. Just a mild-mannered consumer..... who loves his little Nano.

ths61
09-01-2015, 04:06 PM
I have to get out of the PRK. Kamilla Harris won't let me carry any of my first choice pistolas, only what they deem appropriate.

ths61
09-01-2015, 04:44 PM

shot his foot

If you don't have the LC9-S, check out the Galloway trigger kit. It reduces the travel by @ 50% and 1lb off of the trigger. If you have the commie version, it also defeats the mag lock.

http://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/lc9-and-lc380/

shooter
09-01-2015, 06:18 PM
I have to get out of the PRK. Kamilla Harris won't let me carry any of my first choice pistolas, only what they deem appropriate.

Seriously man. You should move. Its gonna get worse. No guns , no water .....,.........

stroguy
09-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Seriously man. You should move. Its gonna get worse. No guns , no water .....,.........

I heard ice cream is threatened as well.

shooter
09-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Hey , if it takes water to process it , then its endangered. They will mandate outhouses next.

stroguy
09-01-2015, 07:20 PM
Wouldn't that threaten the eelskinnedmoleeyedmosquito larve? EPA couldn't stand for that.

willtill
09-01-2015, 07:39 PM

Shoot. :shock:

You should be relieved you don't live in Libtardistan (Maryland). Or maybe not. The entrenched Maryland liberal legislature likes to try to copycat all of the insane gun laws out in Kalifornia.

I may be opening a can of worms... I've not been long on this forum... don't know if this message board has a liberal or conservative slant... guess I'll find out shortly...

Amazing that I qualify for; and can get a out of state resident Utah or a Florida CCW. But I can't get a Maryland CCW since the Maryland State Police does not issue CCW for solely for personal protection :icon_rolleyes:

10 more years and my wife will retire (I'm 10 years her senior so way ahead with that). Once she's done...

...we are moving back to Free America! :icon_cool:

stroguy
09-01-2015, 08:03 PM
I couldn't live in a state where the criminals are the only ones carrying concealed. You as a law abiding citizen have been determined as irresponsible and guilty of possible gun violence on your part. Pathetic logic for a FREE country.

willtill
09-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Battered gun owners syndrome ....is very real here; in Maryland. :icon_frown:

I've been all over the states whilst in the military; and I have never seen such suffocating gun restrictions imposed on citizens; as is being done (and has been done) in Maryland.

We're up to 223 homicides just in Baltimore alone... and I live like 13 miles away from that shithole. Most of those homicides are thug on thug; but there are many that involve innocent people:

http://i57.tinypic.com/2luudfa.jpg

I miis Arizona. I miss Texas. I long for freedom... never have been more aware of the liberal agenda since I have lived here. Been here since 1996 when I retired from the military. Still a working stiff in I.T. ...but that's going to eventually end..

Still hanging in until the wife qualifies for her pensions and such... then you will never experience a "move and shift" as fast as I plan; to Free America.

Redlinez
09-01-2015, 08:35 PM
My vote is the S&W Shield. If you're a veteran, LEO, or civil service, you can get a smoking deal at any Lawmens.

Phantom
09-01-2015, 08:42 PM
My vote is the S&W Shield

40 cal :cheers: is very nice :icon_cool:

shooter
09-01-2015, 08:45 PM
I'm glad I live in the Midwest. Its a little more slack around here. Course Illinois is just a stones throw. I call it little California. Seriously guys. When MO voted in CCW it just made me legal. We have had it for maybe 10 or 12 years. I've been doing it for 26 years. Ever since I turned 21. See for me Concealed Carry is just that. Nobody can see it. You don't talk about it , you don't show it. And make sure you are good with it. I would much rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. Just remember its called Concealed Carry for a reason. Its a lifestyle. You have to be low-profile. You never give anyone a reason to check you. Avoid altercations. Don't be loud and boisterous. Never drink too much. Its worked for me all these years.

F6B1911
09-01-2015, 08:48 PM
.....See for me Concealed Carry is just that. Nobody can see it. You don't talk about it , you don't show it. And make sure you are good with it. I would much rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. Just remember its called Concealed Carry for a reason. Its a lifestyle. You have to be low-profile. You never give anyone a reason to check you. Avoid altercations. Don't be loud and boisterous. Never drink too much. Its worked for me all these years.

Very well stated.

stroguy
09-01-2015, 08:57 PM
I'm glad I live in the Midwest. Its a little more slack around here. Course Illinois is just a stones throw. I call it little California. Seriously guys. When MO voted in CCW it just made me legal. We have had it for maybe 10 or 12 years. I've been doing it for 26 years. Ever since I turned 21. See for me Concealed Carry is just that. Nobody can see it. You don't talk about it , you don't show it. And make sure you are good with it. I would much rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. Just remember its called Concealed Carry for a reason. Its a lifestyle. You have to be low-profile. You never give anyone a reason to check you. Avoid altercations. Don't be loud and boisterous. Never drink too much. Its worked for me all these years.

I am so sick of responsible gun owners.

willtill
09-01-2015, 09:55 PM
An armed society; is a polite society. Mutual destruction assured.

Not working in Maryland though. It's unfortunately one sided; completely to the criminal's advantage here. :icon_rolleyes:

Lawmakers in Maryland just don't understand those dynamics.

Random one
09-01-2015, 10:34 PM
The wife and I both have CCDW licenses. We both carry .40 cal pistols and we shoot at the range twice a month. She's a Federal LEO and I have always carried a weapon since 1971 as a job requirement. She carries a Glock 27 Generation 4 and I carry a S&W SW40VE. The S&W is open carried because it is not necessary for me to conceal and too big to conceal comfortably. Since I hand load my own ammunition I only have to stock one size of brass, primers, projectiles, and powder type.
The .40 has more knock down especially with the Hornady 180 grain EXHP. Ballistics are superior.

shooter
09-03-2015, 07:01 AM
In terms of a conceal carry gun and as far as semi autos go , superior stopping power begins and ends with the 45ACP. If you can have the big dog no sense in walking the puppy.

ths61
09-03-2015, 12:33 PM
In terms of a conceal carry gun and as far as semi autos go , superior stopping power begins and ends with the 45ACP. If you can have the big dog no sense in walking the puppy.

G29 Gen 4 (10MM) trumps a 45ACP.

marmilia
09-03-2015, 02:14 PM
No gun is jam proof but my favorite pocket gun is my Kahr PM 9 in a DeSantis pocket holster. They recommend a 100 round break in for them to be reliable and I ran 400 through it without any malfunctions before I started carrying it. If I were in the market for a new pocket gun I would also have to check out the Glock 43. I love my Glock 26 but it is a little bulky for pocket carry for me personally.

ths61
09-03-2015, 03:08 PM
No gun is jam proof but my favorite pocket gun is my Kahr PM 9 in a DeSantis pocket holster. They recommend a 100 round break in for them to be reliable and I ran 400 through it without any malfunctions before I started carrying it. If I were in the market for a new pocket gun I would also have to check out the Glock 43. I love my Glock 26 but it is a little bulky for pocket carry for me personally.

While you are at it, check out the newish G36.

G36 Single Stack 45 (https://us.glock.com/products/model/g36)

Spanky
09-03-2015, 03:11 PM

You should be relieved you don't live in Libtardistan (Maryland). Or maybe not. The entrenched Maryland liberal legislature likes to try to copycat all of the insane gun laws out in Kalifornia.

I may be opening a can of worms... I've not been long on this forum... don't know if this message board has a liberal or conservative slant... guess I'll find out shortly...

Amazing that I qualify for; and can get a out of state resident Utah or a Florida CCW. But I can't get a Maryland CCW since the Maryland State Police does not issue CCW for solely for personal protection :icon_rolleyes:

10 more years and my wife will retire (I'm 10 years her senior so way ahead with that). Once she's done...

So Florida has a non residant, non citizen mail order permit that is good in most of the lower 48, Sans ny,md,il,ca and the like.
I was canadian, living in nc, and couldn't get a local nc permit. I got a fl permit, that was valid in nc. Go figure!
After I became an american, my first stop was the local courthouse, and got the nc.

shooter
09-03-2015, 03:44 PM
G29 Gen 4 (10MM) trumps a 45ACP.

1/4 inch thicker and 1/2 inch longer than my 45. Recoil from a 10 on that small frame really puts the clamps on follow up shots. I agree it has more knockdown power. Overall I'll stick with my XDs.

ths61
09-03-2015, 03:52 PM
1/4 inch thicker and 1/2 inch longer than my 45. Recoil from a 10 on that small frame really puts the clamps on follow up shots. I agree it has more knockdown power. Overall I'll stick with my XDs.

Isn't that the point, with a sufficient first round, who needs a second? :icon_wink: If the PRK had it's way, we would only have 1 round magazines. I have big mits and the 29 fits better than the 26 or 27 for me.

shooter
09-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Not arguing. For me the XDs fits great in my pocket. It never shows there or on an Alessi ankle holster.

Phantom
12-05-2015, 12:24 AM
:biggthumpup: you just have to laugh ….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKrhKJUerU0

fxdl2051
12-05-2015, 12:41 AM

As an expat Marylander all I can say is, all these laws don't seem to have affected the murder rate in Baltimore much. Much as I love my home state, you have to have a permit to piss there.

ths61
12-05-2015, 02:48 AM
:biggthumpup: you just have to laugh ….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKrhKJUerU0

Hey, that has a catchy tune. Maybe it will catch on ?

stroguy
12-05-2015, 05:45 AM
That's WHACK!

F6bisnext
12-05-2015, 08:02 AM
S&W just launched a new performance ported version of the Shield in 9mm and .40. for $500 list. Nice trigger, great sights and barrel porting. Worth a look for a great, controllable pocket pistol.

Retired Army
12-05-2015, 10:16 AM
http://www.army.mil/article/74488/Guns____Exchange_now_locked_and_loaded/
If you have exchange privileges, selected facilities do sell hand guns and ammo to include AR15's. Now for the kicker, they are tax free.

Steve 0080
12-05-2015, 10:58 AM
The Glock 43 is a nice unit !!!!

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Ruger LC9

perfect

Agree, fits in my chap pocket or just about anywhere.
CCW permit being key. I sometimes just carry a 45 belt holstered or conceal holstered.

jaygollner
12-05-2015, 01:04 PM
While you are at it, check out the newish G36.

G36 Single Stack 45 (https://us.glock.com/products/model/g36)

That's what I carry when I feel the need to, It fits nicely in my front pocket and with the pierce +1 clip extension I can hold/shoot it comfortably.

stroguy
12-05-2015, 02:16 PM
S&W just launched a new performance ported version of the Shield in 9mm and .40. for $500 list. Nice trigger, great sights and barrel porting. Worth a look for a great, controllable pocket pistol.

Only drawback to a ported self defense pistol is shooting in low light. We have an HPD officer that shoots a full size S&W in .40 and when we go low light and that thing touches off its like a flashbulb. Now add hot loaded self defense rounds and there is quite the flash from those ports. When I shoot my revolver in low light just the flash from the cylinder and forcing cone is quite bright.

shooter
12-05-2015, 07:53 PM
Just a little input from someone that's been doing this for a long time. For what's out of here right now , I don't think the Federal line of premium ammo can be beat. No matter the gun I shoot it out of Federal Premium Handgun ammo is always the most accurate. I know some of you will say that you can beat it with handloads. There are just so many reasons you shouldn't carry your handloads. I've been shooting some of the zombie loads from Hornady. I don't know what that green shyt is in the hollow point but I just want to be prepared. The Federal Guard Dog ammo is very low flash compared to some of the offerings out there. Informal tests on wet newspaper have shown them to have awesome expansion. Accuracy like I said is top notch and they feed flawlessly in all my guns.

stroguy
12-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Just a little input from someone that's been doing this for a long time. For what's out of here right now , I don't think the Federal line of premium ammo can be beat. No matter the gun I shoot it out of Federal Premium Handgun ammo is always the most accurate. I know some of you will say that you can beat it with handloads. There are just so many reasons you shouldn't carry your handloads. I've been shooting some of the zombie loads from Hornady. I don't know what that green shyt is in the hollow point but I just want to be prepared. The Federal Guard Dog ammo is very low flash compared to some of the offerings out there. Informal tests on wet newspaper have shown them to have awesome expansion. Accuracy like I said is top notch and they feed flawlessly in all my guns.

Crap. I have to totally agree with you. I have Guarddog in my semi's, wish they made it for revolvers. For my .38 I am going to have flash with anything I shoot so I go big and have Buffalo Bore +P. I found 20 round boxes of Guarddog on line last year at $14 a box for 9MM. He'd had 14 boxes, so stro took everyone of them. Bry, I have been carrying my XDs 9 for a while now. Really enjoy it

shooter
12-05-2015, 09:43 PM
Hey Stro Buffalo Bore makes a 158 grain semi wadcutter in unjacketed lead. Kinda like the old FBI load. Its loaded specifically for snubbies. Shot a groundhog at 50 ft in the head last year with my 340 PD with that load. Took half his head off on exit. That's real world brother. To date I've shot six groundhogs , all headshots , with various 45's and that one Buffalo Bore in 38. The others were with 230 grain HydraShok. HydraShoks always impress me. One of those was a 26 pound boar at 80 ft. Shot in the back of the head it took his face off on exit. Sig P220 Carry Elite. The rest were with various Kimber 3 inch 1911's. That's how I test ammo. Fortunately groundhogs are abundant around here.

seadog
12-05-2015, 09:53 PM
I don't know if all of you are right but the way I see it you can hit a person center mass with about anything on the market and he can still shoot you. All handgun ammo is underpowered, and it doesn't matter if its a 380 or a 45, the best bet is one you can lay down some heavy fire with. Your always better putting 10 rounds center mass in multiple places then just one center mass. The more holes the better is my thoughts on the subject. Just don't run out of ammo in the middle of a fire fight!

shooter
12-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Dog , do you really think that a guy who's nickname is "shooter" would take a chance on running out of ammo?? After all , they don't call me "pointer".

ths61
12-05-2015, 10:32 PM
I don't know if all of you are right but the way I see it you can hit a person center mass with about anything on the market and he can still shoot you. All handgun ammo is underpowered, and it doesn't matter if its a 380 or a 45, the best bet is one you can lay down some heavy fire with. Your always better putting 10 rounds center mass in multiple places then just one center mass. The more holes the better is my thoughts on the subject. Just don't run out of ammo in the middle of a fire fight!

FWIW, a 10mm is similar to a .41 magnum.

http://i47.tinypic.com/w8pxyb.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b4/dc/6a/b4dc6a0566b32a15b2c3a139eaac0d84.jpg

Steve 0080
12-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Dog , do you really think that a guy who's nickname is "shooter" would take a chance on running out of ammo?? After all , they don't call me "pointer".

Too funny for a Sunday morning !!!!!!! :lolup:

shooter
12-06-2015, 11:02 AM
FWIW, a 10mm is similar to a .41 magnum.

http://i47.tinypic.com/w8pxyb.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b4/dc/6a/b4dc6a0566b32a15b2c3a139eaac0d84.jpg

I don't know about you guys but I would like to see the gun that is propelling that 50AE 500 grain bullet at 5000 fps. That must be something new.

F6B1911
12-06-2015, 11:30 AM
The Glock 43 is a nice unit !!!!

Yes, nice and small, fits in any pocket nicely, but darn, it's not very easy to shoot, I need my pinky finger somewhere.
Think I got used to the Pearce Grip on my old G26.

stroguy
12-06-2015, 11:35 AM
I don't know about you guys but I would like to see the gun that is propelling that 50AE 500 grain bullet at 5000 fps. That must be something new.

I like the ignoramus libtard uneducated fear monger narrative from the article Tim copied from. Bullets don't leave white hot and bullets don't explode. But it sure sounds scary. We should ban scary ammo.

shooter
12-06-2015, 12:50 PM
We can't do that. What about my green tipped zombie ammo?? You're getting too radical Stro.

stroguy
12-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Why can't you let the police and government take care of those zombies? You crazy bible thumping gun loving zombiephobicist male madman.

I have a box of those in 7.62X39 for my SKS, just in case you miss one or two.

shooter
12-06-2015, 12:59 PM
I knew you had my back man.

ths61
12-06-2015, 01:37 PM

5,000 fps does appear to be incorrect, but they do appear to make it down range pretty quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-FG9ZKerGM

I like the ignoramus libtard uneducated fear monger narrative from the article Tim copied from. Bullets don't leave white hot and bullets don't explode. But it sure sounds scary. We should ban scary ammo.

Clarification: I posted the pictures for the relative ballistic gel comparisons, not for the commentary. Maybe he was using a Willie Pete round ?

I chased down the commentary. It is someone's tagline and an article. The first sentence comes from the article, the 2nd and 3rd are not found in the article.

"
his attacker used a 10mm semiautomatic handgun with hollowpoint bullets. Such bullets leave the gun's barrel white hot when fired. Even worse, on contact they explode, causing even more damage

Certified CQB Anti-Zombie Master Firearms Instructor
"

stroguy
12-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Oh I knew that T. Wasn't aimed (PI) at you. I found it hilarious. Nice to know we have zombie specialists in our midst.

ths61
12-06-2015, 01:58 PM
Oh I knew that T. Wasn't aimed (PI) at you. I found it hilarious. Nice to know we have zombie specialists in our midst.

I have always wanted to try the 500 S&W compared to a .44mag. A local range had a 500 S&W rental but never had ammo for it and would not let you use your own ammo on rentals. They finally sold it before having a chance to fire it. Not something very practical, but does appear to have some stopping power.

stroguy
12-06-2015, 02:06 PM
The 500 may be the most available gun used from the 'wtf was I thinking for buying this gun' crowd. They are very lightly used, typically 6 rounds or less. There is just not a justifiable reason other than collecting and having as a safe queen. The 44 has been proven over and over to be a reliable hunter for all N American game.

Now if I were heading to Africa for a lion or elephant hunt.....ok.

shooter
12-06-2015, 02:12 PM
5,000 fps does appear to be incorrect, but they do appear to make it down range pretty quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-FG9ZKerGM

Clarification: I posted the pictures for the relative ballistic gel comparisons, not for the commentary. Maybe he was using a Willie Pete round ?

I chased down the commentary. It is someones tagline and an article. The first sentence comes from the article, the 2nd and 3rd are not found in the article.

"
his attacker used a 10mm semiautomatic handgun with hollowpoint bullets. Such bullets leave the gun's barrel white hot when fired. Even worse, on contact they explode, causing even more damage

Certified CQB Anti-Zombie Master Firearms Instructor
"

50 AE is a semi auto round usually chambered in 1911 type pistols and Desert Eagles. They usually weigh around 230 to 300 grains and exit the muzzle at around 1500 fps. Even a 500 S&W is several thousand fps less than the 5000 fps shown which kinda makes me doubt the validity of that chart you put up.

ths61
12-06-2015, 02:28 PM
50 AE is a semi auto round usually chambered in 1911 type pistols. They usually weigh around 230 to 300 grains and exit the muzzle at less than 1000 fps. Even a 500 S&W is several thousand fps less than the 5000 fps shown which kinda makes me doubt the validity of that chart you put up.

I stand corrected. I was confusing the 50 AE for the .500 S&W Magnum.

Here are the cartridges for comparisons. The 50 AE appears to have the upper hand when compared to a .45 and the .500 S&W Mag dwarfs it.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/Handgun_Calibers.jpg

choptop
12-06-2015, 07:35 PM
XDS in .45ACP and XD compact in .45ACP,for concealed carry, my next purchase will be a Bond Arms derringer, Snake Slayer, 410 shot shell or.45COLT. https://youtu.be/hJSv9HRioP0

shooter
12-06-2015, 07:49 PM
Chop I thought I wanted one of those but they are so big. I can carry a full size Commander that weighs less and takes up less space. It is a neat gun though.

choptop
12-06-2015, 09:22 PM
The Snake Slayer @ 22 oz., is a little hefty but I like the idea of carrying a mini shotgun in my pocket, never know when a grouse might rear it's ugly head. lol

Steve 0080
12-06-2015, 10:21 PM
Yes, nice and small, fits in any pocket nicely, but darn, it's not very easy to shoot, I need my pinky finger somewhere.
Think I got used to the Pearce Grip on my old G26.

I, also purchased three of the extenders to have a place for my pinky!

Reedman71
12-07-2015, 07:49 AM
Double Tap. Look it up.

choptop
12-07-2015, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=Reedman71;103409]Double Tap. Look it up.[/QUOTE

I do like the idea of the (2) hidden rounds . But I like the Bond unit better, just my humble opinion.

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-07-2015, 08:29 PM
Agree, fits in my chap pocket or just about anywhere.
CCW permit being key. I sometimes just carry a 45 belt holstered or conceal holstered.

The one that drops the dog attacking you is best...

shooter
12-07-2015, 08:53 PM
The one that drops the dog attacking you is best...

Ain't that the truth. Guys I urge all of you , if its legal in your state , get your concealed carry and then exercise your right to carry. If you can't get comfortable with a carry rig , PM or call or text me. I'm no expert but I have a lot if experience with what works and what's comfortable with your body type. Guys it won't do you any good under the car seat or in the nightstand drawer. When you need it you will need it instantly. You won't have time to go get it.

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-07-2015, 09:23 PM
Ain't that the truth. Guys I urge all of you , if its legal in your state , get your concealed carry and then exercise your right to carry. If you can't get comfortable with a carry rig , PM or call or text me. I'm no expert but I have a lot if experience with what works and what's comfortable with your body type. Guys it won't do you any good under the car seat or in the nightstand drawer. When you need it you will need it instantly. You won't have time to go get it.

Get it, shoot it..have the wife comfortable shooten it..

stroguy
12-07-2015, 10:53 PM
There are just a plethora of ultra comfortable designs to carry a firearm. And there are just as many firearms to fit your level of comfort. But, but, but......please do not get a device that separates the firearm from your body i.e. A purse, a fanny pack a briefcase. There are a lot of devices that tout this is the way to go. That gun should be closer to your body than a junkyard tick on shooters orphaned dog.

shooter
12-07-2015, 11:02 PM
Hey!!! I adopted him. I call him Lil Randy.

Old N Grumpy
12-09-2015, 12:18 AM
I just checked out today a brand thats American made that I had never heard of...Sccy pronounced Sky. They have one of the most compact single stack 9mm I have ever seen. Gun weighs 15oz and carries 10+1. Comes with a lifetime warranty all for around $250...couldn't find anything but good about it online...I'm buying!

dickiedeals
12-09-2015, 10:18 AM
I just checked out today a brand thats American made that I had never heard of...Sccy pronounced Sky. They have one of the most compact single stack 9mm I have ever seen. Gun weighs 15oz and carries 10+1. Comes with a lifetime warranty all for around $250...couldn't find anything but good about it online...I'm buying!

A great little gun for the price.That being said,Beware of the Double Action trigger reset.(Its very different)The return spring is not strong like a double action Revolver.You must consciously push your finger all the way forward each shot.Perhaps I had problems with this because I'm a Glock shooter? Other than that its a great gun. (The primers are too hard in Armscore Ammo for it,You will get malfunctions with this ammo).I did not get a chance to shoot steel case ammo....... (I shoot steel cases almost exclusively for practice) I'll stick with the Glock 26 that cost almost twice as much because my life is worth it..(The Glock digests steel without a hiccup)..........Dickie

shortleg0521
12-09-2015, 05:28 PM

I have to agree on this one, this is my only hand gun and have learned to really like it.
shortleg

Bruce B
12-09-2015, 06:54 PM

I like my Shield .40 and the same gun is available as a 9 also. But it's a stretch to call the Shield or most of the guns mentioned here "pocket guns". I can carry the Shield comfortably inside the waistband (IWB) but not in the pocket. For pocket or IWB, depending on the clothing being worn, I really like my Sig P238. Yes, it's a .380, but a gun left at home or locked in a saddle bag does you no good. You're unarmed under those conditions. I prefer to be armed ALL the time. And all my carry guns have a Crimson Trace mounted on them. Incidentally, the Sig P238 has a very easy to rack slide which works well for those of us in their 70's who have to put up with arthritis in the hands. The low effort slide is why I've replaced my Kahr P380 with the Sig.

Old N Grumpy
12-09-2015, 09:35 PM
A great little gun for the price.That being said,Beware of the Double Action trigger reset.(Its very different)The return spring is not strong like a double action Revolver.You must consciously push your finger all the way forward each shot.Perhaps I had problems with this because I'm a Glock shooter? Other than that its a great gun. (The primers are too hard in Armscore Ammo for it,You will get malfunctions with this ammo).I did not get a chance to shoot steel case ammo....... (I shoot steel cases almost exclusively for practice) I'll stick with the Glock 26 that cost almost twice as much because my life is worth it..(The Glock digests steel without a hiccup)..........Dickie

Thanks for the awakening...maybe I need to reconsider.

JetBlackWing
12-10-2015, 10:53 AM
Sig sauer compact p250 9MM fits well in the cubby, and Smith & Wesson MP Shield .40 is a great carry. Bersa thunder .380 is a nice small frame to have.
I have learned, that holsters are bulky and take up space. I opt to use Clip Draw to securely carry. http://clipdraw.com/
paired with the Smith, It's like carrying nothing at all.

Interesting concept, holsters are bulky...Ha Ha, packing a chunk of steel like that on a 28" waist is hardly like nothing at all! But hey, the more comfortable, the better!

Steve 0080
12-13-2015, 10:06 AM
http://thebrigade.com/2015/12/11/friday-firepower-scopes/

BigAl1952
12-13-2015, 07:47 PM
Carry a shield in 9mm everyday in my front pocket. Looked a long time to get the right pants to do this with but Duluth Trading sells fire hose flex pants that are a cargo style pant with big pockets. There great and I can carry it without a problem in my front pocket. Al

Steve 0080
12-13-2015, 09:35 PM
Carry a shield in 9mm everyday in my front pocket. Looked a long time to get the right pants to do this with but Duluth Trading sells fire hose flex pants that are a cargo style pant with big pockets. There great and I can carry it without a problem in my front pocket. Al

Need to try this !!!

shooter
12-14-2015, 12:47 PM
I carry my XDs 45 in my right front pants pocket in a DeSantis pocket holster. It comes out easy. That's M-F while at my business. If I dress nice on the weekend its usually on my ankle. Honestly , I'm a big guy , you can't tell its in my pocket.

crawdad
01-29-2016, 08:44 AM
I have glock26&43 both are a excellent choice but I carry the 43 most of the time when on my bike.

choptop
01-29-2016, 02:44 PM
XDS in .45ACP and XD compact in .45ACP,for concealed carry, my next purchase will be a Bond Arms derringer, Snake Slayer, 410 shot shell or.45COLT. https://youtu.be/hJSv9HRioP0

I picked up the Bond Arms Snake Slayer as a retirement present to myself.:icon_biggrin: Traded in the never fired Springfield 45 compact. Still have the XDS.

Nero
01-29-2016, 04:18 PM
I know that the OP was about 9mm but never been a fan. I've been carrying, comfortably my Kimber Pro Carry in stainless for 10 years. It's reliable, reasonably accurate, feeds just about any type of ammo and it's .45. It's not snappy like many small framed 9mm. And besides having to shooting twice is just silly....18611
:lolup: