PDA

View Full Version : Tires

stevenolts
09-01-2015, 02:05 PM
I know there are several threads about tires. (I just have a few questions after reading all the propaganda ha ha)

Motorcycle tire
Is there a consensus about which tire is best if you don't want to go dark side (car tire)?
(I have read that the Bridgestone Exedra tires were developed along with Honda specifically for the Goldwing.)
How many miles should I get on the OEM stock tires?

I have the FOBO TPMS and always keep the tires inflated to 41lbs cold before riding. I have 9400 miles and the belt is showing through. I thought I saw that some of you guys got 20,000 miles on the original tires??? I must ride harder than most people / on my HD Fatboy I was lucky if I could get 5500 miles before the belts showed.

Darkside tire
If I do go dark side / what tire is the best?
Are there any downsides to the dark side?
How many miles can I expect to get?
Is this just a way to get more miles or are there really other benefits? I do not want to risk my safety to save money. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous enough. (I need all the advantages I can get)

I have 9400 miles and the belt is showing through rear tire.
see front tire
I think I can still use this tire????
On my Harley I would go through 2 back tires to one front tire / is it the same on the F6B?

see back tire
This tire is shot and unsafe / I think I better ride home very slow and strait tonight (45 miles to my house)

Steve

F6B1911
09-01-2015, 02:46 PM
Yeah, live and learn...
Just had a set of ME 888 Marathon Ultra's put on. Too noisy for me, hopefully the "ultra mileage" lives up to its name.
Next go around, it'll be back to the OEM's.
Let's just hope Steeve0080 doesn't chime in with a "I told you so."

Doug44
09-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Unquestionably for me the Stones are my choice for all my GL1800,s including my 6. I do get close to 2 rears before replacing the front. My rear on my full GL1800 normally go 12-14k front around 20-22k. I don't agree with going dark side each to their own opinion. Bridgestone as we speak has a $50 rebate on a set of Stones + several vendors have them on sale bringing the bottom line down around $250 shipped. I just ordered a set myself I can't recall a much better deal in the past than this price. Btw my 6 now has 7600 mi it's had to tell how many more miles but in 2 weeks I have a 1700-2000 mi trip coming up, hoping to make that trip before replacing which will be around 9500 + or - I am going to look close tomorrow whether I need to install my new rear tire before leaving. I have a 2nd rim off a trike conversion which I keep a new tire on and this way I can switch back to a tire that may only have a couple thousand miles left in after a trip I can run out locally after a long trip.

wjduke
09-01-2015, 03:21 PM
I know there are several threads about tires. (I just have a few questions after reading all the propaganda ha ha)

Motorcycle tire
Is there a consensus about which tire is best if you don't want to go dark side (car tire)?
(I have read that the Bridgestone Exedra tires were developed along with Honda specifically for the Goldwing.)
How many miles should I get on the OEM stock tires?

I have the FOBO TPMS and always keep the tires inflated to 41lbs cold before riding. I have 9400 miles and the belt is showing through. I thought I saw that some of you guys got 20,000 miles on the original tires??? I must ride harder than most people / on my HD Fatboy I was lucky if I could get 5500 miles before the belts showed.

Darkside tire
If I do go dark side / what tire is the best?
Are there any downsides to the dark side?
How many miles can I expect to get?
Is this just a way to get more miles or are there really other benefits? I do not want to risk my safety to save money. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous enough. (I need all the advantages I can get)

I have 9400 miles and the belt is showing through rear tire.
see front tire
I think I can still use this tire????
On my Harley I would go through 2 back tires to one front tire / is it the same on the F6B?

see back tire
This tire is shot and unsafe / I think I better ride home very slow and strait tonight (45 miles to my house)

Steve
45 Miles to go on that rear tire is shaky......but, you have no choice I suppose...I'd go nice and slow, no matter how long it takes.

Doug44
09-01-2015, 03:45 PM
Unquestionably for me the Stones are my choice for all my GL1800,s including my 6. I do get close to 2 rears before replacing the front. My rear on my full GL1800 normally go 12-14k front around 20-22k. I don't agree with going dark side each to their own opinion. Bridgestone as we speak has a $50 rebate on a set of Stones + several vendors have them on sale bringing the bottom line down around $250 shipped. I just ordered a set myself I can't recall a much better deal in the past than this price. Btw my 6 now has 7600 mi it's had to tell how many more miles but in 2 weeks I have a 1700-2000 mi trip coming up, hoping to make that trip before replacing which will be around 9500 + or - I am going to look close tomorrow whether I need to install my new rear tire before leaving. I have a 2nd rim off a trike conversion which I keep a new tire on and this way I can switch back to a tire that may only have a couple thousand miles left in after a trip I can run out locally after a long trip.

Just checked the rear tire mentioned in my above post and it looks pretty damn good. No problem going on my up coming trip of 1700-2000 mi as a matter of fact only looks about half gone. Hard to really tell sometimes they go away quick once they began to get flat across the tread but no sweat going 10-12,000 miles I would say. Most of my miles are 2000 mi trips, very little short trip or leaving a light WFO. I run 42lb rear & 38 frt. makes the front end a little stiff but not uncomfortable.

bob109
09-01-2015, 04:46 PM
Here's enough info on the subject of the Dark Side too keep you pacified for awhile! Digest all there is on the subject and you should be able to make a wise choice on a tire which is right for you!
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?530-F6B-Dark-Side-Riders
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?5951-General-G-Max-Autopsy
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?5830-General-G-max-30-303-Miles
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?232-F6B-To-The-Dark-Side
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?2756-New-Front-Tire-Time
http://hondaf6b.com/forumdisplay.php?15-DARKSIDE

RickW
09-01-2015, 05:46 PM
My OEM back tire only lasted about 10,000 miles.
Mileage will really depend on the tire, how aggressive you are with the tires, Highway riding or very aggressive curves, temperature and how long you really want to ride on worn tires.
I put a set of Avon's on mine about 3000 miles ago and really like them on this bike.

a1scoot
09-01-2015, 07:29 PM
I have 13,700 on the rear and still going…….
a1scoot:icon_mrgreen:

shooter
09-01-2015, 07:47 PM
Steve I'll just give you a quick overview of my experience. 2 years ago I wouldn't even consider a car tire. I was looking for something with more weight carrying ability and tried the G-Max that Bob rides. I liked it. I mostly ride two up and it was a little soft for me. I had to try the Michelin Alpin. I really like it. I think its the best tire I've ever had on a MC. I'm a tire dealer so its easier for me than for others. As long as I own a B I will run a CT on the rear. I still have my G-Max on my spare rim just in case. I run an 888 on the front. The Metz really grips in the rain.

stevenolts
09-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Doug,
"several vendors have them on sale bringing the bottom line down around $250 shipped"

What are the vendors that have them on sale? I usually use RevZilla but they were higher than $250.00 even after the rebate.
Steve

Tunes
09-02-2015, 10:04 AM
Doug,
"several vendors have them on sale bringing the bottom line down around $250 shipped"

What are the vendors that have them on sale? I usually use RevZilla but they were higher than $250.00 even after the rebate.
Steve

Wingstuff has them at that price

VP8
09-02-2015, 10:59 AM
I was able to get 16K on my front and rear stock Bridgestone tires before I changed them out. I check my air every week and maintain 36-38 in the front and 42 in the rear. I also have RideOn added to both tires. When I had my dealer change my tires, he was surprised how well they wore...there was no cupping. He said he normally sees quite a bit of cupping from the Goldwing tires.

stevenolts
09-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Is ride on like dyna beads?

Apache1
09-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Is ride on like dyna beads?

No, Ride On is a wet tire balancer / tire sealant that balances quite well and will seal in the event of a tire puncture. Stuff works well but can be messy if you have to break the tire down shortly after you have installed it!