PDA

View Full Version : Questions Please The Differences....

fifthave
09-01-2015, 05:55 PM
Been reading this forum for a while now along with some others...... and trying to learn all I can about the F6B. Seems most of you are more than satisfied with your F6. What I would like to know is the tech differences between the Gold Wing and the F6. I have read that for example, the gearing is the same, others say gearing is different. Some say top speed of a Gold Wing is more than the F6, but the acceleration of the F6 is better (weight difference aside) than the Gold Wing. How does the F6 do in the twisties...? I am riding an ST 1300 now anybody switch from an ST to an F6? ST has been a good bike had the 1100 now the 1300 but wife had decided she wants to ride along more in her retirement years. Thinking maybe something more comfortable but not as heavy as a full Gold Wing, thinking more comfort is in order...but do not want to completely give up my cornering fun. Thanks for going along with the 20 questions routine....

Vondawg
09-01-2015, 06:18 PM
This Forum has a deep wealth of posts and personal experiences saved don't forget to search out this valuable info in the "search" function.
You two are in for a pleasant ride with the F6 ...nothing like it.....well maybe a full wing...lol

JackB
09-02-2015, 02:41 PM
I had a ST1300 only for one year before I bought my F6B. I wish I had more time on the ST but with the price drop last year I had to let it go.
I have no regrets The St was a fun fast bike but the F6B is a more relaxed ride it fits my riding style and me better and still fast. But I still wish I had my ST a little longer. I think the F6B handles great but On the east side of Wisconsin we don't have the sharp twisty roads.
You will miss the adjustable windshield.

fifthave
09-03-2015, 10:07 AM
I really like the ST in most every way except the heat which tends to roast the man parts especially here in Kansas. I had the ST1100 before and it did not seem as bad as the 1300. I had a 1500 Gold Wing which was ok but handling no where close to the ST. Couple of questions on the F6...Does a full face helmet fit into the saddle bags? The magazine reviews say no but I watched a video from somebody on the forum and he showed putting a full face helmet into the left saddlebag. Anybody know how the F6 saddle bags compare in volume to the ST 1300? I know I will miss the electric windshield of the ST, not sure why the Gold Wings never got that feature?

What colors were available for 14 can you get the red in 14. Is there a plug in for the stereo intercom for the passenger? Is there a difference in the gearing and the top speed between a gold wing and the f6B?

Wife has decided she want to ride more upon her retirement so looking for something more comfortable 2-up. Looks like the f6 might be a good choice. Thanks for all of your input....

Wing'n it
09-03-2015, 10:57 AM
I had a Goldwing Gl1800 a few years back and a few bikes since (see sig) but just recently had the chance to ride a demo F6B and had to have one! The dealer had a couple of leftover red one's but didn't really like the red, so I found a 2015 blue one at another dealer and traded in my 2014 Kawasaki Vaquero for it. The F6 is a really nice bike and riding one was all I needed to own one!

Doug44
09-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Been reading this forum for a while now along with some others...... and trying to learn all I can about the F6B. Seems most of you are more than satisfied with your F6. What I would like to know is the tech differences between the Gold Wing and the F6. I have read that for example, the gearing is the same, others say gearing is different. Some say top speed of a Gold Wing is more than the F6, but the acceleration of the F6 is better (weight difference aside) than the Gold Wing. How does the F6 do in the twisties...? I am riding an ST 1300 now anybody switch from an ST to an F6? ST has been a good bike had the 1100 now the 1300 but wife had decided she wants to ride along more in her retirement years. Thinking maybe something more comfortable but not as heavy as a full Gold Wing, thinking more comfort is in order...but do not want to completely give up my cornering fun. Thanks for going along with the 20 questions routine....

I can assure you the gearing is the same. I just finished a 2000 mi trip with a friend on a 2015 anniversary GL1800. Each tank of fuel was within 2-3 tneths of each other but always my F6 held just a pinch less. As far as top speed the F6b does have a limter that shuts the fun off @130mph. I am not aware if the new GL1800 has this I know my 2006 didn't and I saw over 130mph more than once on it. Back to the gearing 75mph is 3200rpm. My F6b speedometer is spot on with my GPS. My mechanic at my dealership tells me the front suspension is changed from a Gl1800 and of course the rear is in the fact it is hand adjusted on the F6. Also he tells me the fuel injection mapping is changed. I have never tried a drag race with a full wing but I can tell you the F6b is very, very strong especially a high gear roll on from 60mph it just leaves. My bike will run from 60mph to 100 about as fast as you can say the words. Riding solo anyway I never want for more. I have had my share of fast motorcycles including a V-Max, factory turbo 650 Honda, Fjr1300, St1100, several BMW K bikes and twins and again I have never wished for more motor with my F6b. This last trip running 75-78 mph yielded low to mid 40mpg. Checking one tank with a calculator = 44mpg with the Full GL I was with getting .3tenths less.

I hope this answered some of your questions, YMMV but I feel your can be happy buying a F6b

Old Ryder
09-03-2015, 09:20 PM
I wanted the comforts and power of a Wing (tunes, smooth flat 6, Power, peppy handling, proven durability) but I did not want the LOOKS of a Wing (Chrome, trunk, tall shield, Du Dads and buttons everywhere)

So I got a Gold Wing that is NOT really a Gold Wing. Does that make sense??????? :shrug:

wiggy
09-03-2015, 09:38 PM
To answer one of your questions, I have an HJC flip helmet and I can not fit it in either saddlebag. I have a ram mount that holds my gps and usually just put my helmet over and down on it when my gps is not in the mount.

DMAGOLDRDR
09-04-2015, 06:39 AM
Some differences from Wing to F6B

No Reverse
No Adjustable Windshield
No Lighted Handlebar controls
No remote Adj Headlight
No remote Adj Rear Suspension
No remote locking Saddle Bags
No Heated Seat
No ABS
Obviously no Trunk

On Older Standard Models

No Cruise Control
No Center Stand
No self canceling Signals
No heated Grips

okiedoc
09-04-2015, 08:58 PM
I still have my ST and it is a great bike. The differences I noticed are the 6 has a lower center of gravity so it is easier to back up. The 6 is plenty comfortable for a passenger but you need the riser for the passenger seat rest. As for cornering it won't lean as far in the corners and you will notice the front suspension is not as good as the ST. The ST will flat smoke the 6. I prefer riding the 6 but if I want to haul I will get on the ST. Love the cruise and stereo on the 6.

DMAGOLDRDR
09-05-2015, 07:35 AM
To answer one of your questions, I have an HJC flip helmet and I can not fit it in either saddlebag. I have a ram mount that holds my gps and usually just put my helmet over and down on it when my gps is not in the mount.

My HJC Symax (size XL with a chatterbox com mounted on the side ) fits in the right side. The trick is to set the helmet down on the open saddlebag lid with the helmet facing the front of the bike. As you close the saddlebag lid the top of the helmet will fit into the recessed section of the back wall of the saddlebag.
I hope I explained it well enough.

Retired Army
09-05-2015, 09:36 AM
The biggest difference between the Gold Wing F6B and the Gold Wing GL 1800 is price and farkles. If the rider is a farkle freak, be prepared to pay the price, in any case enjoy the ride.

fifthave
09-08-2015, 05:05 PM
The obvious question is can you reprogram the pcm to the Gold Wing specs? Likely will never need to go faster than 130 but wondered why they limited the F6 and not the Gold Wing and two.... just don't need the government telling me how fast I can go....I have a wife that does that.