PDA

View Full Version : USB question

Honda Raider
08-05-2013, 08:34 AM
I'm picking up my bike next week. I know it has a USB port in one of the saddlebags... I'd also like to install a double USB port in the left dash box. Does anyone know if the "plug-n-play" connection for this part exists under the dash on the F6B?

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/Inventory/Navision/52-820?catalogNo=

The part is advertised only for Goldwings through 2012. The install looks easy, but I'd prefer not to splice wiring. Thanks.

Steve 0080
08-05-2013, 12:02 PM
It is plug and play...about 15 mins to do the install.......I placed mine straight away and then put the cigarette lighter plug below it so I have 3 plug ins in my cubby.....

Honda Raider
08-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Awesome... I've done some splicing in the past on other bikes for CB's, but I prefer plug-n-play, so this is perfect. Thanks!!

Fluegs
08-07-2013, 06:20 PM
It is plug and play...about 15 mins to do the install.......I placed mine straight away and then put the cigarette lighter plug below it so I have 3 plug ins in my cubby.....

I could not find a USB connection under the box, are you only using it for power? I would like to be able to control my iPhone music from the handle bar controls, is this possible?

pblair
08-07-2013, 06:54 PM
I have tried a 6ft USB extension from the left saddlebag and it DOES NOT work.

I found an ACTIVE USB extension cable and I think I will try it. Active is required to maintain signal timing.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2329301

bobbyf6b
08-07-2013, 07:25 PM
I could not find a USB connection under the box, are you only using it for power? I would like to be able to control my iPhone music from the handle bar controls, is this possible?

There is a USB plug in the left saddlebag (sitting on bike). It's in a storage clip on the ceiling of the saddlebag. When you plug your iPod or iPhone in there, then you can control music from the handlebars. Read the instructions in the manual. It takes some practice to get used to it.

BTW, my dealer didn't know about the USB port. I found it by looking in the bags.

Fluegs
08-07-2013, 07:50 PM
I have also used a 6 ft cable from the left bag with poor results. The reason I would like a plug by the bars is so I can see my gps, control music, and recharge at the same time, all on my phone mounted on a ram mount on the dash. Any ideas?

Pedro66
08-07-2013, 08:49 PM
I have also used a 6 ft cable from the left bag with poor results. The reason I would like a plug by the bars is so I can see my gps, control music, and recharge at the same time, all on my phone mounted on a ram mount on the dash. Any ideas?

You have to reroute the USB cable from the radio out through the front of the radio box then use a 12 inch extension and a OEM iPod cable then it will reach the left pocket and work.

Fluegs
08-07-2013, 09:23 PM
You have to reroute the USB cable from the radio out through the front of the radio box then use a 12 inch extension and a OEM iPod cable then it will reach the left pocket and work.

It has been a while since I looked at this, but I believe I eyeballed the cable to the left bag and determined it would not reach far enough forward to reach the apple cable ran from the dash. Am I not looking at the right thing?

Pedro66
08-07-2013, 11:11 PM
It has been a while since I looked at this, but I believe I eyeballed the cable to the left bag and determined it would not reach far enough forward to reach the apple cable ran from the dash. Am I not looking at the right thing?

You have to unthread it all the way back to the radio then bring it out the front side of the radio box, I then used a 1ft extension I had from an old J&M MP3

Fluegs
08-08-2013, 09:03 AM
You have to unthread it all the way back to the radio then bring it out the front side of the radio box, I then used a 1ft extension I had from an old J&M MP3

Thanks, I will try that next week. No time now, prepping for a rally/party for the national TT races in Peoria Ill. If anyone is at the riverfront Saturday, stop by my Amsoil booth and say hi. I will have the F6B on display at my booth.

commuter1
08-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Hi, I found a 10 ft. usb "extension" cable on Amazon & i fish wired it to the left cubby. Now I no longer use saddlebag plug...Easy job. Good luck. Vic

Pedro66
08-31-2013, 02:02 AM
Hi, I found a 10 ft. usb "extension" cable on Amazon & i fish wired it to the left cubby. Now I no longer use saddlebag plug...Easy job. Good luck. Vic

No problems controlling an iPod?

Do you have a link to the cable