PDA

View Full Version : REAR LUGGAGE RACK SAGGING:

d-shark
09-03-2015, 02:49 PM
I've had the Bike MP3 rear luggage rack on my F6 for a couple of years now. I really like the looks and functionality. Ride 2-up quite a bit and just noticed that the rear of the rack is bending downward. Part of the problem is that my Saddlemen Bag has a semi-rigid bottom so it places a lot of pressure on the very rear of the rack where the rack platform curves upward.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/qv-YjkGiRgy0PK636GVvJuO3TYmjN__RioIyAhpVNvHcx1qtQnCs_ EddvGTNOjIBP8p3Br4a69wfYbD20rfBBa5l-6bA5NGaWDf9xtNGaYYB33Iu1CoQ7q8X952nx27wx7BXDX0Ja_L NnGoD6JhlZhuV7NeB8kXLxtLvu6biqlAwgBUCTbFR944ZBMcjz OlAIMFJR8aXZjnWHYS9lr1H2MHFiv7_apo96n4BBu6_Iz8bwIS QkWWsebe-iwtSUsx8KHXdAqEEfvTq7enBnxdBk7BxrBz_V6eCPD_o9IxqG7 goOdYP5Kn3HQxSeEghsPyae-NiONEF41-jUnGe4vrmidqQrnHk1dFRmUeSi2SWvAHbKGK_X2ytxM4MnwbKc ATRMLey_g7g05i1eC6kCISG52cLKirOAyRmFgbvcnLf4u_mbDC 6XytsgTZIMTOd0VSGkAuGqMV1hOmF6aUaka8qbc2LjIWeFO9pv fcmuq3ZO_oM9jJvRmp2Gavv9Rsl6ymg4vD3ZOc1pVi9HGq1cH3 Y5vs=w1698-h955-no

d-shark
09-03-2015, 03:00 PM
I installed the Custom Chrome rack as a replacement and find that once mounted it actually tilts backwards about 8 degrees (as shown in photo) which does not give much clearance around the antenna mount. The CC rack is certainly a lot more difficult to take on and off compared to the Bike MP3 unit. The CC unit seems sturdy (steel vs aluminum) but I don't like the looks quite as much.

http://store.valueaccessories.net/images/products/detail/F6BSide0714.jpg

d-shark
09-03-2015, 03:19 PM
I wrote Bike MP3 with photos describing what was happening with the Luggage Rack. I asked if they offered their rack in a Flat version (no upward curvature at the rear of the rack) that I would be happy to purchase at full price as a replacement. Nicki (a service representative) responded in short order. Nicki was kind enough to remind me that their rack is rated for 6 pounds and not available in a flat version.

I think if you have soft luggage like a duffle bag this would probably not be an issue. I may send the rack back to Bike MP3 just so they can have a look and perhaps consider strengthening future units. I'm not upset with Bike MP3, there is no doubt I often loaded the unit up with at least 30 pounds of luggage.

seadog
09-03-2015, 06:50 PM
I wrote Bike MP3 with photos describing what was happening with the Luggage Rack. I asked if they offered their rack in a Flat version (no upward curvature at the rear of the rack) that I would be happy to purchase at full price as a replacement. Nicki (a service representative) responded in short order. Nicki was kind enough to remind me that their rack is rated for 6 pounds and not available in a flat version.

I think if you have soft luggage like a duffle bag this would probably not be an issue. I may send the rack back to Bike MP3 just so they can have a look and perhaps consider strengthening future units. I'm not upset with Bike MP3, there is no doubt I often loaded the unit up with at least 30 pounds of luggage.

What in the heck would you be loading on a bike rack for a trip that only weighs 6 pounds? That's just crazy to have it rated that low, what were they thinking, I mean most good size travel bags weigh almost that much without anything in them. Sounds like lets shop for something with a little more strength in it than a 6 pound rating.

Davidk
09-03-2015, 08:22 PM

6lb capacity? That's useless. I have the Show Chrome and was going to change to the MP3, but not anymore.

d-shark
09-05-2015, 07:48 PM
I have a rear luggage rack on the back of my 95 HD Heritage Softail and as I recall it had a sticker on it indicating max load limit of 10 pounds. Needless to say I've had 30 or more pounds on it for thousands of miles and no issues. Also if you look at the published load limits on the saddlebags of Harley Baggers they tend to be very low. My guess is it's the lawyers, the manufacturers know they will handle more but just don't want to have to defend that in court.

bob109
09-05-2015, 08:27 PM
With the F6B being 62lbs lighter than a Goldwing, a conservative estimate of the Travel Pack/Passenger Seat would be 40 lbs. The 6 lb weight limit on the 6 is extremely low. Having a rack I "home brewed" shortly after taking deliver of my bike, it can safely carry its share of weight. My golf bag tips the scales at 30lb plus and I have no problems with the rack. Unfortunately I haven't visited a golf course which will permit me to use my 6 as a golf cart:icon_frown:

DavidNC
09-25-2015, 01:54 PM
My MP3 rack is less than 2 months old and sagging. I keep less than six pounds on it, just to have easy access to gloves, rain suit and long sleaved shirt.

Brewdog
09-26-2015, 05:17 AM
With the F6B being 62lbs lighter than a Goldwing, a conservative estimate of the Travel Pack/Passenger Seat would be 40 lbs. The 6 lb weight limit on the 6 is extremely low. Having a rack I "home brewed" shortly after taking deliver of my bike, it can safely carry its share of weight. My golf bag tips the scales at 30lb plus and I have no problems with the rack. Unfortunately I haven't visited a golf course which will permit me to use my 6 as a golf cart:icon_frown:

Nicely done bob109 !!! I may follow your lead and make one (aluminum) then have it black anodized. I will turn the risers on my lathe.

bob109
09-26-2015, 07:18 AM
Nicely done bob109 !!! I may follow your lead and make one (aluminum) then have it black anodized. I will turn the risers on my lathe.

Here's my Original Thread on the rack which contains all the dimensions on the aluminum spools/risers:039:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?456-Home-Brewed-Luggage-Rack

RickJ
09-26-2015, 08:03 AM
My guess is it's the lawyers, the manufacturers know they will handle more but just don't want to have to defend that in court.

If it is indefensible...then that is indefensible. If the FENDER won't hold more than 6lbs safely, that's another story.

bob109
09-26-2015, 11:27 AM
If it is indefensible...then that is indefensible. If the FENDER won't hold more than 6lbs safely, that's another story.

Luckily for all of us having a passenger back rest, the mounting point for the rest/luggage rack is attached to the frame with the bolt bosses protruding through the rear plastic cover. Those having a Basic Model have to purchase the mounting kit separately. The kit contains two replacement inserts with holes to accommodate the bolt bosses:icon_wink:

RickJ
09-26-2015, 02:53 PM
Luckily for all of us having a passenger back rest, the mounting point for the rest/luggage rack is attached to the frame with the bolt bosses protruding through the rear plastic cover. Those having a Basic Model have to purchase the mounting kit separately. The kit contains two replacement inserts with holes to accommodate the bolt bosses:icon_wink:

thanks...then the problem is that rack[s lawyers]

Brewdog
10-04-2015, 08:31 PM
Here's my Original Thread on the rack which contains all the dimensions on the aluminum spools/risers:039:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?456-Home-Brewed-Luggage-Rack

Thanks for the details Bob109!

SPGrenier
10-07-2015, 05:56 PM
If I remember correctly, I believe the smaller Honda cargo rack also had a 6 lb rating. I have loaded my MP3 with a loaded tour pack and duffle strapped to the top of that. That weight was tight against the back of the passenger backrest and directly above the cargo rack mounting bolts.

I don't hang additional luggage on the back of the tour pack which would put more weight further back from the mounting bolts, to the rear most edge of the rack. No issues to date.