PDA

View Full Version : First long ride and mileage is really impressive for new bike!

Wing'n it
09-06-2015, 08:16 AM
Well my F6B is 6 days old and I went on my first long trip this weekend with it. Rode from the Dayton Ohio area down to Dale Hollow lake in Tenn. I kept track of the miles on both trip meters and would fill the bike back up around 200 miles or so, was still showing about 1/4 tank left. Average fill up at those time was just over 4 gallons. Total trip miles was 611.5 and the bike used a grand total of 10.86 gallons for an overall mileage of 56.3 mpg's!! That's incredible!

opas ride
09-06-2015, 12:07 PM
You must have been "lightly" loaded with gear and very easy on the throttle to get that kind of mileage!!!..I am 75 , ride one up, and usually take it rather easy on the gas and I have never gotten more than 42mpg....Not that I really care, as gas mileage for most motorcyclists that enjoy the ride don't much care about mpg!!!

Blotar
09-06-2015, 12:50 PM
I was very surprised to get slightly over 43 mpg last week. I usually bump 40 mpg.
I am lovin' my F6B! 43K miles now and I can't imagine getting another right away.
Blotar

timjoebob
09-06-2015, 01:41 PM
As the MPG threads show, that. Ileage os unusual. Congrats on the new bike.

I get 41-43mpg consistently. 36-39 when towing my trailer.

F6B1911
09-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Left Franklin on Saturday at 6:00am, arrived in Detroit at 6:45pm, got 37mpg.
....dang, that was a long ride, no rain and a clear shot up I-75 once I got to Knoxville.

Felloverboard
09-06-2015, 02:25 PM
I have a 2013 F6B in FL. My mileage is 33-35 at various speeds and locations here. I recently took a trip to North Carolina mountains, Dragon, out through KN & OK to CO & UT... when traveling in those states I got 43--46 MPG ??? I wonder if the humidity in FL has something to do with that difference. I am back around 34 again now that I am home.

seadog
09-06-2015, 02:57 PM
I have a 2013 F6B in FL. My mileage is 33-35 at various speeds and locations here. I recently took a trip to North Carolina mountains, Dragon, out through KN & OK to CO & UT... when traveling in those states I got 43--46 MPG ??? I wonder if the humidity in FL has something to do with that difference. I am back around 34 again now that I am home.

I use shell or BP or Mobil and don't go to any cutthroat gas sellers that give you that extra few cents off a gallon. Those few cents more buying quality gasoline are worth their weight in gold to the longevity and how your mileage is when you check it. In Michigan we have a lot of cheap gasoline and its not worth even pulling in their drive. Stay with the good stuff and your bike will respond in kind.

Wing'n it
09-06-2015, 04:36 PM
Well one of my buddies brought it to my attention that my numbers are slightly off, so to correct it I had to go top off the tank to get a more accurate mileage. I went and topped off the tank because we started with full tanks, it took another 1.38 gallons to bring it to full. That would bring the mileage down to 49.9 mpg's.

Ridlikhel
09-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Still outstanding mileage, if you did your math right. About 42 - 45 mpg. here.

shooter
09-06-2015, 06:06 PM
Like Seadog said , one of the biggest variables is fuel. Here in MO in the summer we have oxygenated fuel. It costs me 2 to 3 mpg. The best I've done was on a day following a bunch of slow azz old farts in Harleys. That was 45 mpg. I generally ride the wife on the B and most of the time its between 39 to 41 mpg in the summer. Cooler temps in the fall get me up around 43 without the oxygenated fuel. That 50 mpg is impressive. See if you can duplicate that.

seadog
09-06-2015, 06:09 PM
Well my F6B is 6 days old and I went on my first long trip this weekend with it. Rode from the Dayton Ohio area down to Dale Hollow lake in Tenn. I kept track of the miles on both trip meters and would fill the bike back up around 200 miles or so, was still showing about 1/4 tank left. Average fill up at those time was just over 4 gallons. Total trip miles was 611.5 and the bike used a grand total of 10.86 gallons for an overall mileage of 56.3 mpg's!! That's incredible!

Try getting on the highway at 70 mph instead of 35. Something is totally wrong with your figures if you were driving highway speeds.

photodiver
09-06-2015, 06:13 PM
My best mileage was 51.62 and that was mostly down hill coming back from Tahoe. Got 47.10 going up there. The lowest I have gotten is 36.19.

gray rider
09-06-2015, 06:32 PM
42 in the morning, 42 in the evening, 42 at supper time................

willtill
09-06-2015, 06:48 PM
I just got back from the F6B Rally in Franklin; and was curious as to what my overall mileage was.

It was 48 mpg. And that was sustained highway driving; mountain roads, Dragon, etc... I am pleased. :icon_cool:

valkmc
09-06-2015, 08:47 PM

I'm in Florida also and get around 36-37 mpg until recently. My last tank was 41 thats as good as I get.

miramiramira
09-06-2015, 10:29 PM

Altitude. In Colorado, I've gotten as high as 53 mpg (and I ain't dallyin'). When I rode from lubbock to Houston and back, I averaged 39 mpg.

Wing'n it
09-07-2015, 08:30 AM
Try getting on the highway at 70 mph instead of 35. Something is totally wrong with your figures if you were driving highway speeds.

I don't normally ride the highway unless i'm forced to. I like riding the back roads to see what's there and places I've never been. Average speed was somewhere between 55-65 mph. Funny thing is that where I went I have been there many many times in my truck and I know the distance and time it takes to get there on the highway. However on the Wing going to the same place on back roads it took longer but was actually a shorter distance by almost 50 miles.

I just got back from the F6B Rally in Franklin; and was curious as to what my overall mileage was.

It was 48 mpg. And that was sustained highway driving; mountain roads, Dragon, etc... I am pleased. :icon_cool:

That's real close to mine so it's not just me...........

unsub
09-07-2015, 11:56 AM

Thanks for posting the results. That's about what I get +/- You can squeeze good mpg out of this motor without sacrificing a good ride.

unsub
09-07-2015, 11:57 AM

:lolup:

Remind me to stay behind you.:icon_mrgreen:

ReserveBum
09-07-2015, 12:06 PM
In a little over 15k miles...40 - 44.

We have a local vendor that sells ethanol free 93 octane. I did one tank of that and it went up to 46mpg. Back to regular 87 octane and she is back to 43

grendl
09-09-2015, 10:00 PM
Normal ride day I am averaging in the high 40's,that includes highway at 70-80.
If I run at 80 plus it goes down appreciably but still 40+
I have gotten over 50 cruising around in the mountains between 35 and 60 mph in fifth gear.
Came back through Kansas last week and the winds brought her down to the mid 30s at highway speeds.I was really concerned about that as I had added a Klockwerks shield before I headed back to Colorado. Thought at first the shield cut mileage but then back in CO mileage went back to normal..mid 40s..
I am not anal about it,I do the math at gas stops.Overall no complaints..

JetBlackWing
09-11-2015, 04:03 PM
My first two fill up, I got 45 and 46 respectively. Been sitting in the garage since I haven't yet got tags yet. :icon_rolleyes:

seadog
09-11-2015, 06:41 PM
In a little over 15k miles...40 - 44.

We have a local vendor that sells ethanol free 93 octane. I did one tank of that and it went up to 46mpg. Back to regular 87 octane and she is back to 43

I get 39 when I am twisting on it and 43 when riding like a sane person. But I never let any moss grow on the tires when I am going some place. 80 and 85 on the freeways , 70 most of the time on the two lanes and it has to be pretty twisty and windy to slow me down much from there. I ain't going to argue with 39 miles to the gallon at 80 to 85 miles per hour. The 6 is just awesome and handles like a dream. Of course all that speed is when I am by myself, if I am riding with others we go the speed the others want to ride.

swingfast
09-11-2015, 09:56 PM
Aggressive riding average 43 mpg one up.

spud
09-12-2015, 07:16 AM

Filled mine yesterday and did a neck to neck tank with a 57.3 mpg......very impressed!!! No highway driving, just back and forth to work!!! My old V-star was 43 mpg....

Wing'n it
09-12-2015, 07:53 AM
I have been able to duplicate my findings several more times. If i'm blasting around town and back and forth to work it's 43-45 and on my long backroad rides it's around 49-52.

adkwingman
09-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Purchased a leftover 2013 on 4/24/15 and have put nearly 10,000 miles on her since then. Have to say that I am very happy with the mpg I am getting. I use an app called Road Trip to track my expenses/mileage and and this is how it breaks down for me.

Premium 93 Octane - 7,857 miles 44.60 mpg
Premium 91 Octane - 159 miles 44.98 mpg
Regular 87 Octane - 64 miles 38.42 mpg
91 Ethanol free - 1,735 miles 46.08 mpg

Mileage is better with the ethanol free gas but when you factor in price differential between the ethanol free gas and the 93 Octane, the 93 Octane is the better bang for the buck. Also, my mileage took a bit of a hit when I replaced the stock windshield with a larger one from clearview shields. I lost between 1.5-2 mpg with the larger shield. But the trade off in comfort was well worth it.

valkmc
09-13-2015, 06:14 AM
Not sure why but I get no where near the mpg talked about here. My normal mpg is high 30's. On a good day I may get low 40's and have never got better than 42. I got that with non-ethanol fuel. I have tried premium and it doesn't make much of a difference. I didn't buy the bike for mileage so I don't think about it much unless I open a thread like this. Guess I will have to stop reading threads about mpg.

shooter
09-13-2015, 12:53 PM
Not sure why but I get no where near the mpg talked about here. My normal mpg is high 30's. On a good day I may get low 40's and have never got better than 42. I got that with non-ethanol fuel. I have tried premium and it doesn't make much of a difference. I didn't buy the bike for mileage so I don't think about it much unless I open a thread like this. Guess I will have to stop reading threads about mpg.

Valk I think you're mileage is normal. My mpg mirrors yours. The worst I've gotten is 36 and that was on a 4:30 am jaunt at 100 mph. Didn't take long to go 150 miles. My best solo has been 44. Really slow pace. I'm generally around that 40 mark. Some of these guys are exceptional. I saw a post of 56 mpg. I don't call people liars. I do question their accuracy. Even 50 mpg on any kind of trip is questionable. I'm not trying to be confrontational but I would like to ride with these guys and see for myself the process if the fill-up and the mileage counting. I believe that they really are coming up with these figures but I question the process. If you look at the MPG sticky it bears out my questions.

valkmc
09-13-2015, 06:10 PM
Valk I think you're mileage is normal. My mpg mirrors yours. The worst I've gotten is 36 and that was on a 4:30 am jaunt at 100 mph. Didn't take long to go 150 miles. My best solo has been 44. Really slow pace. I'm generally around that 40 mark. Some of these guys are exceptional. I saw a post of 56 mpg. I don't call people liars. I do question their accuracy. Even 50 mpg on any kind of trip is questionable. I'm not trying to be confrontational but I would like to ride with these guys and see for myself the process if the fill-up and the mileage counting. I believe that they really are coming up with these figures but I question the process. If you look at the MPG sticky it bears out my questions.

Had similar thoughts. I know things like location, altitude , riding style and type of gas make a difference but high 30's to low 50's seems like a lot!

jm21ddd15
09-13-2015, 06:37 PM
A 1000 mile trip, at 40 mpg, uses 25 gallons of fuel. the same trip at 42 mpg, uses 23.8 gallons. A whopping difference of 1.2 gallons, or about $3. Not a big deal for 1000 miles. Different fuel types and terrain will vary milage, as well as driving styles. But, none of us bought these bikes worrying about a couple mpg. Just ride and enjoy!:yes:

stroguy
09-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Reminds me of a time in the Air Force when one of our civilian employees purchasd a nice 89 Silverado full custom V8. Couple of guys at work had a 5 gallon jug stashed in one of their cars and would add gas every other day or so. This poor guy thought he had one of the wonder engines from GM. He was getting 30+ mpg. That went on for about a month and half when they quit the joke. The sap took his truck in to the dealer complaining of a sudden loss in MPG's. One of the better practical jokes I have been witness of.

I also find it a bit of a stretch to get one of these 1800's pushing the 50 MPG barrier when the poll clearly has a rash in the 40 arena. Give it a few more tanks and verify the odo on a highway or with a GPS.

shooter
09-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Wife and I rode 207 miles yesterday fairly spirited which is the best I will do with her on. She never says anything about how I ride. In fact she likes it when I crank it up. I'm more conservative with her on. I feel I have an obligation to her two kids to take good care of her. We used 4.94 gallons for an average of 41.9 mpg. That was pretty good for me. We had about a 60 mile section of some of the curviest roads you will ride on.

stroguy
09-13-2015, 08:23 PM
That's good mileage. How much do you equate to the lower temps we are having in the center part of the country right now? We did a hundred today and I didn't fill up but the bike definitely loves a nip in the air. Where as I like a nip by the pool.

shooter
09-13-2015, 08:47 PM
Stro , I check mileage often , mostly as a diagnostic tool. I've picked up a mile or two per gallon in the last year. All Mobil 1 fluids and installation of the Vance and Hines pipes. I always run Shell Premium. I'm not a small guy 6'1" and 290. Wife is not petite. But where I used to get 39 I'm now getting 41 or so. I wouldn't care if I got 25. Its just a bonus getting the good mileage. When I'm on trips with my HD buddies I can wear them boys out on stretching a tank. I still had a gallon and a half after that 207 miles. I do enjoy the mileage. And Stro , you're right. The cooler temps do help. You make a little more power too. Rode to eat tonight. About a hundred miles round trip. On the way back on a secondary road , following an 18 wheeler , caught a short straight stretch and told wifey to hang on. Downshifted to 3rd at about 60 and dropped the hammer. Shay- Shay almost stood up and wifeys boots were up around my ears. Wrapped it out to 6 grand and hit 4th just as I passed the truck. Wife was laughing her azz off. That girl loves to fly.

stroguy
09-13-2015, 09:03 PM
dropped the hammer. Shay- Shay almost stood up and wifeys boots were up around my ears. Wrapped it out to 6 grand and hit 4th just as I passed the truck. Wife was laughing her azz off. That girl loves to fly.

I don't think you two are riding correctly.

shooter
09-13-2015, 09:29 PM
Stro , its me. You know I'm a little kinky.

Fla_rider
09-14-2015, 05:33 AM
Wing'n it - most of us have seen an increase in mileage around 8-10k.

It's good to monitor MPG and it's great that the F6b is somewhere between 35-45, but would you ride another if it was less?

I don't think so!

miramiramira
09-16-2015, 09:22 PM

I appreciate that you’re not calling me a liar. It does appear, however, that you are calling me an idiot. As if I don’t know how to fill my tank, record mileage, or reset the trip odometer.

You are welcome to meet me in Springerville, AZ the first weekend of October and watch as I pull up to the pump, turn the bike off, put the bike on it’s sidestand, remove my gloves, unlock the gas cover, unscrew the gas cap and set it in the top right corner of the tank cavity, insert my credit card into the pump, remove my credit card from the pump, remove the pump handle, select 86 octane or above, insert the pump nozzle into the filler tube, squeeze the handle, release the handle when the gas reaches the bottom of the filler tube, check to make sure that gas is at the bottom of the filler tube, squeeze in a little more if necessary, replace the gas cap, close the gas cover, pull out my phone, select the calculator app, divide the mileage on Trip A by the amount of gas pumped--thus obtaining mpg for that tank of gas, open the Notes app, enter the mileage and mpg into the Notes app, reset Trip A, put my gloves back on, swing the sidestand up, start the bike, and pull away from the pump. Or, hey, for that matter, meet me here in Lubbock (where I get between 36mpg and 38mpg) and watch me fill up any time.

The list below is the mpg and mileage for a trip I took in June 2014. Lubbock, TX, to Glenwood Springs, CO to Ouray, CO via Independence Pass and Twin Lakes, CO. Ouray, CO, through Telluride, CO, to Durango, CO, to Lubbock, TX. 1,817 miles total with an average of 47mpg. I’ll stand behind these numbers all day long.

41.37, 206.1
41.9, 229.5
47.2, 141.5
53.13, 122.2
45.9, 193.7
48, 116.2
48.3, 174
51.53, 205.1
51.43, 196.5
41.67, 232.5

shooter
09-16-2015, 09:46 PM
OK , do you say you get between 36 to 38 in Lubbock but I think you are saying that at altitude you get a lot better. Maybe up to 50 mpg. I can maybe believe that. The O/2 sensor adjusts for the thinner air and therefore leans out the mixture to compensate. So are you making less power also? I've never been out west with the bike. And I don't recall questioning you about your mileage. I guestioned the guy that got 56 mpg from Ohio to Tennessee and back. I don't recall any mile high mountainous regions in those areas. 36 in Lubbock and 53 in Colorado is a big spread. I never noticed my fuel mileage increasing out west. Usually takes more throttle to make the same power. Basically negates the thin air thing. You're bike is obviously exceptional at times.

shooter
09-16-2015, 09:55 PM
OK just reread all the posts and I see Spud is up to 57.3 mpg. I don't know the elevation of Ottawa. If I understand Mira right it must be pretty high.

miramiramira
09-16-2015, 10:40 PM
OK , do you say you get between 36 to 38 in Lubbock but I think you are saying that at altitude you get a lot better. Maybe up to 50 mpg. I can maybe believe that. The O/2 sensor adjusts for the thinner air and therefore leans out the mixture to compensate. So are you making less power also? I've never been out west with the bike. And I don't recall questioning you about your mileage. I guestioned the guy that got 56 mpg from Ohio to Tennessee and back. I don't recall any mile high mountainous regions in those areas. 36 in Lubbock and 53 in Colorado is a big spread. I never noticed my fuel mileage increasing out west. Usually takes more throttle to make the same power. Basically negates the thin air thing. You're bike is obviously exceptional at times.

Ottawa is about 230 feet above sea level. I can't speak for Spud's mileage. I can only speak for mine.

You stated that anything above 50mpg was questionable. So, if I'm reporting as high as 53mpg, that sure sounds like you're questioning me.

Maybe it's not altitude, maybe it's something else, but my mpg goes up as I go from 3,000 feet to 5,000 feet and up to 12,000 feet. Then my mileage goes back down as I head back to 3,000 feet. Whatever it is, those 53, 51, and 51 mpg numbers are accurate. And, I do know how to fill a tank and calculate mileage.

There probably is power loss at altitude, but the f6b has plenty to spare so I really don't notice it.

Here's a thought: my odometer is 3% optimistic. So, maybe... No, 97% of 53 = 51.4mpg. Still at that "questionable" over 50mpg.

Random one
09-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Left Franklin on Saturday at 6:00am, arrived in Detroit at 6:45pm, got 37mpg.
....dang, that was a long ride, no rain and a clear shot up I-75 once I got to Knoxville.

37 mpg is what getting on my bike and I have less than 500 miles on mine. Not real easy on the throttle either.

shooter
09-17-2015, 01:13 AM
So Spud is 230 above and getting over 57 and I'm around 100 above and getting 42. That 130 ft isn't going to make a difference. AFR should be around 13:1 regardless of conditions. So Spud is getting 27% better mileage than me. That's a lot.

98valk
09-17-2015, 12:32 PM
I get ~35 around town and ~40 on the superslab.

I just can't take the 50+ claims seriously. They are either under very unique circumstances (downhill, tail wind, Sunday driving, etc) that just doesn't apply in day to day use, or their bike is running very lean and should be looked at.

So all you guys/gals getting ~40ish +/-, that is normal. Don't sweat it.