PDA

View Full Version : Gaaah...!

willtill
09-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Spent the better half of my afternoon installing the Show Chrome LED fog lights. Hardest part was getting the wiring in the radio control panel box all buttoned back up; try as I might, I could not get the rear cover of the radio panel control box to seat cleanly... but FINALLY after rearranging the wires inside that exited it.. I finally got it to snap shut properly.

But... unknowingly to me after several attempts to get things right with the panel box... I reinstalled the frikken switch fog lamp upside down... while I was fighting with the wires underneath it... :icon_doh:

http://i60.tinypic.com/j59lvo.jpg

Everything works but it is not perfect. :banghead:

Will be taking it back apart tomorrow and correcting my error... I need beer now for medicinal purposes. And I'm starting to get very intimidate with this bike. :icon_wink:

willtill
09-08-2015, 07:40 AM
Mucho Bueno... :icon_wink:

http://i60.tinypic.com/eja2x0.jpg

Also taking the opportunity to install a waterproof digital voltmeter; that I bought from Value Accessories recently. Will wire that into the leads for the power outlet within the left side fairing console storage box. I think I have some leftover Posi-Taps to do that... so it'll be a snap.

More bells and whistles. :icon_cool:

ff73148
09-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Any tips on the installation? I have to install my lights. Thanks.

Airborne06
09-08-2015, 04:35 PM
Spent the better half of my afternoon installing the Show Chrome LED fog lights. Hardest part was getting the wiring in the radio control panel box all buttoned back up; try as I might, I could not get the rear cover of the radio panel control box to seat cleanly... but FINALLY after rearranging the wires inside that exited it.. I finally got it to snap shut properly.

But... unknowingly to me after several attempts to get things right with the panel box... I reinstalled the frikken switch fog lamp upside down... while I was fighting with the wires underneath it... :icon_doh:

http://i60.tinypic.com/j59lvo.jpg

Everything works but it is not perfect. :banghead:

Will be taking it back apart tomorrow and correcting my error... I need beer now for medicinal purposes. And I'm starting to get very intimidate with this bike. :icon_wink:

A typical SNAFU type operation that usually happens to me! Enjoy a few cold ones and hit it again tomorrow! Good luck!

willtill
09-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Any tips on the installation? I have to install my lights. Thanks.

Make sure you do not install your switch upside down :icon_lol:

When you open up the radio panel control box in the left side of the fairing, be sure to note exactly how the wires are situated within it; and are running out of it. The main wire bundle is held in with a zip tie; carefully note how that wire bundle is positioned and kept tight with the zip tie; because you will have to cut that zip tie; in order to move the wire bundle away from one of the screws that fasten the blank; to which you will ultimately be installing the the fog light switch into.

You want to put those wires back in the same configuration when you reassemble the radio panel control box; and you will have an additional wires as well (the new fog light switch wires) that have to be routed out of the same hole... it's very tight. Otherwise, you will not be able to completely close the radio panel control box against moisture.

Take care not to stress the wires themselves on the fog light switch. The wire that holds the illuminating bulb for the switch broke free of it's adhesive; I had to reattach it with superglue (and if you sprinkle baking soda on the superglue; it will cure faster).

If you go to the link below; you will see my new fog lights; but there is sort of a misalignment. I'm hoping that others will chime in to the below link; and indicate that it is normal:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6994-LED-fog-lights-mis-alignment-in-the-lower-cowl&p=94697#post94697

Phaedrus
09-08-2015, 06:09 PM
I second Willtill's experience with the radio box. I removed and installed the back about six times before I got it to shut properly. It also was difficult unplugging the three wires that run from the radio box into the space under and behind the cubby box -- necessary so you can remove the box entirely to install the switch -- because the space is tight, the light is bad and I didn't initially know how to disengage the plug snaps. Multiple tries and several Gosh Darnits (or words to that effect) got the trick done. The entire operation took me seven hours, which is laughably long. But it turned out well, so slow and steady was the right speed for me. Good luck.