PDA

View Full Version : Throttlemeister grip lock

Bike44
08-05-2013, 03:01 PM
I installed a Throttlemeister (http://throttlemeister.com/app/inventoryapp/honda/inventory_view/79-0-432-1.html) cruise control/grip lock last eve. I have the Deluxe F6B with heated grips. I've installed several over the years on a variety of bikes, so am familiar with the process.

I found the supplied single aluminum spacer (1/8" thick) to be inadequate (too narrow) to mesh the rubber friction collar/aluminum spacer assembly that the rotatable brass end bushing contacts with the internal plastic grip base. If that part is loose, the rubber throttle lock collar can rotate and won't work as advertised. Apparently some of Honda's as-built grips require two 1/8" spacers, or a single 1/4" ring on my bike. Others may require less.

I called the good folks at Throttlemeister (414-464-6060) and explained the issue. They're sending me a new rubber friction sleeve and thicker aluminum spacer ring. Great service!

If you plan to install one, remove the factory end weight and measure the distance between the end of the right rubber grip and the internal plastic form it's bonded to and rotates with. Get whatever spacer thickness is required to close that distance (1/4" in my case). I had an aluminum crush washer with the correct OD, ID, and thickness to fill the void handy so it went together and works as advertised.

See, yet another Honda crush washer thread without even trying.

Scotrod
08-05-2013, 03:10 PM
mesh the rubber friction collar/aluminum spacer assembly that the rotatable brass end bushing contacts with the internal plastic grip base... :shock:

I bet it's easier to understand when you have those parts 'in hand' :icon_biggrin:

Just curious, the crush washers you used in this application, are they the standard Honda crush washers or 'something else'?

GOOD to hear T-meister is sending you stuff to make it work!!! :yes:

Bike44
08-05-2013, 04:27 PM
mesh the rubber friction collar/aluminum spacer assembly that the rotatable brass end bushing contacts with the internal plastic grip base... :shock:

I bet it's easier to understand when you have those parts 'in hand' :icon_biggrin:

Just curious, the crush washers you used in this application, are they the standard Honda crush washers or 'something else'?

GOOD to hear T-meister is sending you stuff to make it work!!! :yes:

I should have taken pics...will when the new spacer and collar arrives. Basically there's a metal assembly that replaces the existing bar end weights (see linked vid below). When rotated, it extends or retracts a circular brass ring that contacts a proprietary rubber/aluminum ring inserted inside the twist grip. If the insert fits right and tight, it'll mesh or contact the plastic rotating core of the grip under the rubber portion. When the brass ring and insert contact, their friction prevents the throttle from turning = throttle locked so we can pick our nose or whatever. That friction point is adjusted so we can still override the lock.

Throttlemeister in action: http://throttlemeister.com/seeitwork.html

I like these Kaoko (http://www.kaoko.com/pHND31/KAOKO-Cruise-Control-for-HONDA-models-with-19mm-ID-bars-and-31mm-OD-bar-weights-incl-F6B-2013--VFR800-2001---CBR1100XX-Blackbird-CBR1000RR---Black-paint-finish.aspx) locks but wasn't sure about the fit with the heated grips. Maybe shoulda' called and asked, but the Throttlemeister was a proven product.

As far as the crush washer being a Honda part, I'm not sure. I have several in various sizes plus a tinfoil hat just in case the Aliens arrive and attempt mind control.

CBXBob
08-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Got my Kaoko Throttle Lock from TWISTED THROTTLE.Takes Some getting used to after years of using a Vista Super Cruise. I think it may be easier to use than the Throttlemeister Due to the knurled ring compared to a smooth one, but not sure.

Bike44
08-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Got my Kaoko Throttle Lock from TWISTED THROTTLE.Takes Some getting used to after years of using a Vista Super Cruise. I think it may be easier to use than the Throttlemeister Due to the knurled ring compared to a smooth one, but not sure.

Yes, that's exactly my take on the Kaoko's. But not being sure if they'd fit the heated grips, I went with the sure thing.

If your Kaoko fits the heated grips then by all means post so we'll know.