PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Big Dawg/2015 Franklin Rally

dickiedeals
09-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Thank You Big Dawg for Helping me remove the Local Yocal's tire print from my saddle bag!...........Thank you for showing us the better but less famous Highways in the Smokes. Thanks for the Tips you provided for a much more relaxed and spirited ride. You are a World Glass Motorcycle Pilot and teacher. Its always an Honor to ride with you and your son Skip. We are looking forward to a repeat as soon as possible..................................Dickie

Hornblower
09-08-2015, 12:37 PM
Dickie--You have discovered something that I realized some time back. Jimmy and Skip are not only great guys to hang with but are a tremendous resource to learn how to be a better and safer rider. The only way I can hang with either of them is when they let me :icon_biggrin:. When you follow a really good rider, the immediate result from that is you become a better rider yourself. Watching their lines, their braking, body position, and other riding characteristics helps so much, even if you're doing it subconsciously. Sometimes, Big Dawg motions for me to lead and usually, I decline. I just ride better following. As a matter of fact, he gave me another tip just this morning after looking at some of my photos on Killboy. I could tell you what that one was but it might make you faster than me :yikes:. Seriously though, he usually gives me only one tip during each visit but, over time, those riding thoughts have made it easier to ride more smoothly as well as faster and safer. Here is my tip for anyone who wants to ride better...seek out riders better than you BUT only follow them at your own speed. If they're good teachers, like Big Dawg, they'll be watching you in their rear view and will make adjustments and offer advice accordingly.

And BTW, Dickie, I'm glad the crazy cager that tried to run you off the road didn't succeed . He had no idea about your "fire power" and is lucky not to have gotten himself shot :shock:.

Cool Hand Luke
09-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Dickie--You have discovered something that I realized some time back. Jimmy and Skip are not only great guys to hang with but are a tremendous resource to learn how to be a better and safer rider. The only way I can hang with either of them is when they let me :icon_biggrin:. When you follow a really good rider, the immediate result from that is you become a better rider yourself. Watching their lines, their braking, body position, and other riding characteristics helps so much, even if you're doing it subconsciously. Sometimes, Big Dawg motions for me to lead and usually, I decline. I just ride better following. As a matter of fact, he gave me another tip just this morning after looking at some of my photos on Killboy. I could tell you what that one was but it might make you faster than me :yikes:. Seriously though, he usually gives me only one tip during each visit but, over time, those riding thoughts have made it easier to ride more smoothly as well as faster and safer. Here is my tip for anyone who wants to ride better...seek out riders better than you BUT only follow them at your own speed. If they're good teachers, like Big Dawg, they'll be watching you in their rear view and will make adjustments and offer advice accordingly.

And BTW, Dickie, I'm glad the crazy cager that tried to run you off the road didn't succeed . He had no idea about your "fire power" and is lucky not to have gotten himself shot :shock:.

Well said! :yes:

dickiedeals
09-09-2015, 07:47 AM

Thank you Ken For the kind words. Looking forward to next year.... Had the Cager done it in my younger years he would of most likely gotten shot. We were in the middle of Gods country with no witnesses....I like to think I've mellowed a bit........Dickie

Retired Army
09-09-2015, 08:43 AM
Thank you Ken For the kind words. Looking forward to next year.... Had the Cager done it in my younger years he would of most likely gotten shot. We were in the middle of Gods country with no witnesses....I like to think I've mellowed a bit........Dickie
Thank you sir for being a responsible gun baring American.

Big Dawg
09-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Guys, thanks for the kind words. I love showing folks the roads less traveled in North Carolina. They are way better than the traffic infested Deal's Gap and some of the other popular roads. I had a few guys ask if they could ride with me and my son Skip on Sunday and we had blast. Munch said it was the best ride he had ever been on in all of his days of riding bikes. That says a lot since he was probably riding the worst possible bike for the twisties, a Rune! I would say that it is like trying to drive a loaded dump truck through the twisties. It just proves that the man can ride, anything! It gives me great pleasure to share my secret roads and offer riding tips to those who are not use to riding the twisties. It is a totaly different skill set. Contrary to popular belief, I do not go fast and I damn sure don't go fast in the straights. However, I do not slow down very much in the corners.

I am proud to have helped a lot of folks be able to safely handle the roads with confidence and not scare the crap out of themselves doing it.

Cheers!

Big Dawg
09-09-2015, 10:19 PM

Ken, don't give away all the secerets just yet, some of my students are gunning for you.

Hornblower
09-10-2015, 09:11 AM
Ken, don't give away all the secrets just yet, some of my students are gunning for you.

I ain't skeered :icon_rolleyes:. If any of your other "students" get faster than me, I'll just switch to my Ninja 1000 :yes:. A man's gotta have the right "tool" for the job, right?

dickiedeals
09-11-2015, 06:30 PM
I ain't skeered :icon_rolleyes:. If any of your other "students" get faster than me, I'll just switch to my Ninja 1000 :yes:. A man's gotta have the right "tool" for the job, right?

Don't look like you will have to worry about it next year if The Rally moves to Russelville Honda. After Google Earthing it I see its in the middle of nowhere beside a big lake in the old rundown part of town. Pretty much flat land............Dickie

willtill
09-14-2015, 08:03 AM
Thank you sir for being a responsible gun baring American.

Concur :yes: