PDA

View Full Version : LED fog lights/mis-alignment in the lower cowl ???

willtill
09-08-2015, 05:43 PM
So I just finished installing my lower cowl; after fitting my bike with the Show Chrome LED Foglight kit.

The lights do not seem to be quite centered in the lower cowling. The are offset to the outside of the cowling opening (see the pic's below). Is this normal? Anyone else have these same lights and they are offset as shown below?

Right side:
http://i62.tinypic.com/sfkqhd.jpg

Left side:
http://i57.tinypic.com/wvxtsw.jpg

Doesn't appear to interfere with the way the light is thrown from them. I just thought they should be both centered in the rectangular opening of the lower cowling.

Phaedrus
09-08-2015, 06:01 PM
I installed the same lights over the Labor Day weekend, and mine appear to be much better aligned. Perhaps your cowl is scrunched into an odd shape. Reinstalling the cowl was one of the hardest parts of the installation for me.

willtill
09-08-2015, 06:18 PM
I installed the same lights over the Labor Day weekend, and mine appear to be much better aligned. Perhaps your cowl is scrunched into an odd shape. Reinstalling the cowl was one of the hardest parts of the installation for me.

Yes, that lower cowling is a beach to reinstall. I thought I have it installed correctly....?

I will take it back off tomorrow and see if it is indeed mis-installed. I went ahead today and even rode to the local Honda dealer to look at a new F6B on the floor... seems that my reinstalled cowling looks the same as the new one at the dealer.... :shrug:

Phaedrus, what year is your F6B ???

BACA
09-08-2015, 08:07 PM
So I just finished installing my lower cowl; after fitting my bike with the Show Chrome LED Foglight kit.

The lights do not seem to be quite centered in the lower cowling. The are offset to the outside of the cowling opening (see the pic's below). Is this normal? Anyone else have these same lights and they are offset as shown below?

Right side:

Left side:

Doesn't appear to interfere with the way the light is thrown from them. I just thought they should be both centered in the rectangular opening of the lower cowling.

Wow, that's alot of space between the cowl and the light.........here is a picture of mine......I added some rubber around the light to seal it better in the cowl.....your's looks like the light is smaller or the cowl opening is bigger. Mine is on a 2013 F6B standard.

willtill
09-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Wow, that's alot of space between the cowl and the light.........here is a picture of mine......I added some rubber around the light to seal it better in the cowl.....your's looks like the light is smaller or the cowl opening is bigger. Mine is on a 2013 F6B standard.

Yes, I am a bit perplexed. The Show Chrome PN is 52-906 which supposedly is for a GL1800 2012- F6B, Valkyrie 2014- as the box says.

I wonder if they stuffed the wrong headlight assemblies in the box ???

fxdl2051
09-09-2015, 12:34 AM
Yup same issues. I called Big Bike and was told to reinstall the original spacers that were there in the 1st place behind everything else. Haven't tried yet, but let me know if that helps. I did put a little black door trim edge molding around the cutout, which helped hide my less than stellar dremel work and close the gap some but not all.

willtill
09-09-2015, 04:40 AM
Yup same issues. I called Big Bike and was told to reinstall the original spacers that were there in the 1st place behind everything else. Haven't tried yet, but let me know if that helps. I did put a little black door trim edge molding around the cutout, which helped hide my less than stellar dremel work and close the gap some but not all.

What is Big Bike talking about; I don't have any original spacers... just the block off brackets that were installed on each front side of the heads.. ???

Well at least this seems to be problematic for others as well... do you have a 2015 Ken? I wonder if the cowling is slightly different; compared to the earlier F6B models?

Phaedrus
09-09-2015, 06:21 AM
Willtill, my bike is a faster red 2013.

willtill
09-09-2015, 06:28 AM
Willtill, my bike is a faster red 2013.

...and apparently with a proper shaped lower cowling as well. :icon_lol:

I am going to take ANOTHER quick jaunt to the local Honda dealer today; and eyeball the lower cowling installation on a displayed F6B.

Then.. I am going to probably reinstall the cowling and see if it helps narrow the gaps on the inside of the fog lights.

I am thinking that this may have been a subtle design change (the shape of the cowling openings for the fog lights) regarding the 2013 -vs- 2015 F6B's.

Steve 0080
09-09-2015, 09:13 AM
The lights are spring loaded...can you " pull " them over in the cowling ...I just put my thumb on mine and pushed/forced the light over...?

willtill
09-09-2015, 09:21 AM
The lights are spring loaded...can you " pull " them over in the cowling ...I just put my thumb on mine and pushed/forced the light over...?

No, these each of these particular Show Chrome LED lights are in a bracket; that is fastened to the supplied mounting bracket against the front of the engine heads; with two shoulder collars inserted into two rubber grommets. Then a screw holds each shoulder collar/grommet/LED bracket assembly together. I can vertically tilt the LED lights with the adjusting screw on the bottom of each bracket; but cannot horizontally move them.

RickJ
09-09-2015, 10:22 AM
I have the same gap. I did the cowl twice and tried adjusting the light. As mentioned, it doesn't seem to affect performance but it's annoying. The cowl is a pia. I believe I held the light to the cowl during the install and they seemed to fit fine- so aI don't know what the problem is...love the lights but they should fit better.

willtill
09-09-2015, 10:48 AM
I have the same gap. I did the cowl twice and tried adjusting the light. As mentioned, it doesn't seem to affect performance but it's annoying. The cowl is a pia. I believe I held the light to the cowl during the install and they seemed to fit fine- so aI don't know what the problem is...love the lights but they should fit better.

I am toying with the idea of taking a heat gun; and attempting to gently reform the left and right sides of each knock out hole; where the lights are mounted.

Maybe I can lessen the gap somewhat; by doing that. Not sure. Am contemplating...

98valk
09-09-2015, 11:24 AM
I would be real surprised if the cowlings were any different between '13 & '15.

And I cringe at the thought of trying to heat it enough to soften it. :yikes:

If it was mine, I would do something about the mounting hardware. Bend, cut, redrill, maybe make a whole new piece. I would rather risk messing that up than part of the bike.

Just my .02. Hope you get it resolved!

Fla_rider
09-09-2015, 11:32 AM
That looks like mine before I got the cowl on right. There are three things at the top cowl connection, the cowl goes on first or you can say its in the rear.

willtill
09-09-2015, 05:27 PM
That looks like mine before I got the cowl on right. There are three things at the top cowl connection, the cowl goes on first or you can say its in the rear.

THAT WAS IT!!! I GOT 'ER DUN !!!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Thanks to your hint Fla_rider (...and also another reconnaissance mission to the local Honda dealer) I realized that the lower cowling connections were NOT behind the second most outer screw holes...

This is what it looked like before I took it apart; this is the right side view:
http://i62.tinypic.com/fxv3uv.jpg

The Red arrow points to the piece that the Green arrow (the lower cowling) needs to mount behind. The Fuchsia arrow points to the upper cowling. I had the lower cowling "sandwiched" between the the two; seemingly it fit better. But I was wrong... so with great effort expended; I reinstalled the lower cowling Green arrow BEHIND the Red arrow

Now my new fog lights appear a little more centered (...compare these with the two initial photo's I posted in this thread):

Left fog light:
http://i59.tinypic.com/dw2jdh.jpg

Right fog light:
http://i61.tinypic.com/2uz8d9d.jpg

The ONLY thing that bothers me right now (besides my sore fingers) is that the second outermost screw hole (on both sides) contacts a rubber hose immediately behind the Green arrow plastic piece. Sort of worried about abrasion but I don't think there is any movement or vibration down there; which would accelerate wear on the hoses; from that contact. I may stick something between the screw hole and the hoses; if I become paranoid enough about it.

This Honda's Tupperware is becoming more challenging than my past Victory Vision's body parts :shock:

hgslayr
09-09-2015, 11:29 PM
I too have a 3/4 in. Gap between the cowling and my socalmoto lights...I was thinking of putting some dowl spacers to bring them out further but after viewing this post, sounds like I may have installed my cowling wrong..ill check this weekend...

hgslayr
09-09-2015, 11:42 PM
I just checked mine and it looks like I have my calling installed improperly like the picture above so it looks like I have a project this weekend

fxdl2051
09-09-2015, 11:43 PM
What is Big Bike talking about; I don't have any original spacers... just the block off brackets that were installed on each front side of the heads.. ???

Well at least this seems to be problematic for others as well... do you have a 2015 Ken? I wonder if the cowling is slightly different; compared to the earlier F6B models?

Mine is a 2013 Mach 18 black model. My apologies, I meant block off brackets. My Lights were some of the 1st preorders. I did find by relaxing the light adjustor screw, that helped with the fit, but I'm not sure what that does to the lights at night since I haven't tried them yet to see the light spread.

willtill
09-10-2015, 05:50 AM
Mine is a 2013 Mach 18 black model. My apologies, I meant block off brackets. My Lights were some of the 1st preorders. I did find by relaxing the light adjustor screw, that helped with the fit, but I'm not sure what that does to the lights at night since I haven't tried them yet to see the light spread.

Hmmm. Block off bracket is supposed to be reinstalled when mounting the fog light brackets IAW the instructions I have with my lights.

Check your cowling attachment as I rediscovered in post #16 above.

Fla_rider
09-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Glad you got it.:clap2:

fxdl2051
09-10-2015, 02:57 PM
Hmmm. Block off bracket is supposed to be reinstalled when mounting the fog light brackets IAW the instructions I have with my lights.

Check your cowling attachment as I rediscovered in post #16 above.

I certainly will, I noticed you live in Hanover, I'm a native Marylander and Hanover was one of my favorite rides out of B'more.

Phaedrus
09-10-2015, 05:52 PM
Good for you, willtill. I'm glad you got it installed to eliminate the gaps.

RickJ
09-10-2015, 05:57 PM
Well, I removed the lower cowl again. Got the snaps and the correct screws placed (2 sizes). I also gave the adjustment screws another 5 turns in...the adjustment screw seems to pull the lights in down towards where they want to be. The fit is a LOT better.

willtill
09-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Well, I removed the lower cowl again. Got the snaps and the correct screws placed (2 sizes). I also gave the adjustment screws another 5 turns in...the adjustment screw seems to pull the lights in down towards where they want to be. The fit is a LOT better.

:yes: :yes:

Definitely check the light pattern though... don't just adjust the lights to "fit" into the fairing only... I have the top illumination of my fog light beams roughly 8" below the low headlight beams; at approximately 5 feet away from a wall.

I do need to go out in the dark on a road and actually view the "throw" of the fog lights... to be certain I am getting the illumination that I need; and still present a nice LED visual to traffic as well... it's a balancing act.

willtill
09-10-2015, 06:19 PM
Good for you, willtill. I'm glad you got it installed to eliminate the gaps.

Me too! :icon_biggrin: Thanks! :icon_cool:

willtill
09-10-2015, 06:22 PM
I certainly will, I noticed you live in Hanover, I'm a native Marylander and Hanover was one of my favorite rides out of B'more.

Yes...but it's REALLY built up around here now. Not sure when you left...? Riding is OK currrently out in southern Anne Arundel/West Howard county but any closer... traffic and development. :icon_frown:

I'm not a native Marylander myself... just ended up staying when I retired (Ft Meade) and met and married my wife... we will be heading south/southwest when she retires...

RickJ
09-10-2015, 06:31 PM
:yes: :yes:

Definitely check the light pattern though... don't just adjust the lights to "fit" into the fairing only... I have the top illumination of my fog light beams roughly 8" below the low headlight beams; at approximately 5 feet away from a wall.

I do need to go out in the dark on a road and actually view the "throw" of the fog lights... to be certain I am getting the illumination that I need; and still present a nice LED visual to traffic as well... it's a balancing act.

Thanks. Will do. I still have adjustment- so they were pretty high when I originally fit them,. The numbers you provided will help.

Audiochris90
08-12-2016, 05:47 PM
I was having issues with the show chrome led fogs, same thing, i put the cowl on wrong , thanks willtill! And thanks 53 driver for the search thread tips. It worked!

53driver
08-12-2016, 05:52 PM
I was having issues with the show chrome led fogs, same thing, i put the cowl on wrong , thanks willtill! And thanks 53 driver for the search thread tips. It worked!

Glad to be of service - but even more happy that you got what you needed and all is right with the world!

shortleg0521
08-12-2016, 06:37 PM

Right side:

Left side:

"Will mine do appear to fit a bit better than yours, mine fit the shape pretty tightly.
I do,nt know if it makes a difference that I had to replace mine with a Gold wing piece meaning the cowl .
shortleg Dave