PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Mustangs seats being sold ?

grendl
09-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Forum,
I am interested in the Mustang seat. Lately I have seen a few of them being sold. I was traveling to the Wing Ding and missed a couple of great deals,but with that I am wondering why they are being offered?
Are they comfortable on long rides?
What didn't the sellers like about them?
My stock seat has become comfortable over the last +15K miles on extended runs(it has a backrest) and I really like the Mustang more for looks than need.
I guess that is the question-what didn't you like about it? How did you rate it against the stock? How long did you ride the stock seat before you opted to change it?
Thanx for any responses..

Wing'n it
09-09-2015, 10:42 AM
I've noticed a lot of people have traded off their bikes on some of the seats I have found. I was going to get one but like most they are a dedicated company for short or average riders, too bad if your tall! I ordered an Ultimate "King seat" for my F6.

No Handle Sam
09-09-2015, 10:44 AM
Forum,
I am interested in the Mustang seat. Lately I have seen a few of them being sold. I was traveling to the Wing Ding and missed a couple of great deals,but with that I am wondering why they are being offered?
My stock seat has become comfortable over the last +15K miles on extended runs(it has a backrest) and I really like the Mustang more for looks than need.
I guess that is the question-what didn't you like about it? How did you rate it against the stock? How long did you ride the stock seat before you opted to change it?

I have had a few different Mustang seats on my bikes over the years and I've also liked them. (both for looks and comfort) For this one (Tripper Fastback) I like the way it looks and I like that it sits a little lower then the stock seat. What I don't like about it is that it can be a total pain in the a$$ to install the first time you put it on. I think this is because it is so much more "oversized" then the stock seat. But as I said… after the first round of fighting with it it seems to get easier to deal with. From a comfort standpoint… the way the drivers section of the seat "dips down" makes a natural drivers backrest. This is just a little too much for me. (but I'm not a backrest guy in the first place)

All of that being said… I have one for sale if you're interested. Almost brand new. (only had it on the bike for a couple of days) I'd like to get $400 (OBO) for it including shipping. Just let me know.

TnHeath
09-09-2015, 11:56 AM
I have had a few different Mustang seats on my bikes over the years and I've also liked them. (both for looks and comfort) For this one (Tripper Fastback) I like the way it looks and I like that it sits a little lower then the stock seat. What I don't like about it is that it can be a total pain in the a$$ to install the first time you put it on. I think this is because it is so much more "oversized" then the stock seat. But as I said… after the first round of fighting with it it seems to get easier to deal with. From a comfort standpoint… the way the drivers section of the seat "dips down" makes a natural drivers backrest. This is just a little too much for me. (but I'm not a backrest guy in the first place)

All of that being said… I have one for sale if you're interested. Almost brand new. (only had it on the bike for a couple of days) I'd like to get $400 (OBO) for it including shipping. Just let me know.

Hey Sam I sent you a PM.

rich
09-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Forum,

I have the mustang tuck and roll and find it much more comfortable than stock, after a couple hundred miles you are ready for a break but you razz recovery time is quicker. One downside is that it is not waterproof but that can be fixed before a ride with protect all or Doc Baileys. The positive is that it is more breathable in that it is not sealed like the stock.

Rich

JackB
09-09-2015, 03:57 PM
I bought my mustang seat for the backrest plus it looks great and I can ride on all day. I am keeping mine.

DMAGOLDRDR
09-09-2015, 04:35 PM
I put just short of 10,000miles on the F6Bs stock seat with a Utopia Backrest. I had a Mustang w/backrest on my Valk and did not think a Mustang would do the job with the backrest, BUT I bought a used Mustang a couple weeks ago and have just about a thousand miles on it now and I am surprised I have been comfortable without the backrest.
I do like the lower seat height although i thought it was 1" lower and 1" back. I am actually forward just a bit. All in all a nice seat.

Dfinkelsteinmd
09-09-2015, 04:47 PM
I had Mustangs on 2 of my Harleys and then a basic one on the F6B, but they were all too firm. After an hour in the saddle I could not wait for an excuse to get off. The lower, more rearward orientation was nice in parking lots with the Honda, but I sold mine locally for $300 to a great guy in San Jose who rides much more than I do. Maybe I am a tender(foot)...

Airborne06
09-09-2015, 05:34 PM
I had Mustangs on 2 of my Harleys and then a basic one on the F6B, but they were all too firm. After an hour in the saddle I could not wait for an excuse to get off. The lower, more rearward orientation was nice in parking lots with the Honda, but I sold mine locally for $300 to a great guy in San Jose who rides much more than I do. Maybe I am a tender(foot)...

That is one of the reasons I have hesitated to buy the Mustang. I think the stock F6B seat is very comfortable, but I was considering the Mustang for looks alone...I think the stock F6B seat makes the bike look like a scooter. Unfortunately, Mustang doesn't allow you to try the seat out and send it back. You buy it, you own it...then if you don't like it and sell it, you take the big financial hit on what is essentially a new seat. I think Ultimate seats allows a short trial period however.

The other issue with the Mustangs as reported by many are their tendency to absorb water through the seams....resulting in a wet butt after riding following a rain storm or heavy overnight condensation.

I think the Mustang looks awesome on the bike though. I have so many hardly used exhaust systems, windshields, mirrors, seats, accessories, electronics, GPSs, handlebars, etc, etc from all my bikes over the years that I could seemingly build a new bike from parts! I am hesitant to buy something new that I can't return to add to the collection!

Cool Hand Luke
09-09-2015, 06:58 PM
I like it. I had several Mustang seats before and find this one very different. It is firmer and I find it very comfortable. I also like the back support, I usually lean into it and put my feet on Rivco Aeropegs, and I can do this for many miles at the time.

I also like that it lowered me down a bit, it makes it easier to handle the bike while in twisties, and it also made my windshield be more useful.

ChubbyDodds
09-09-2015, 07:54 PM
I have the Mustang seat on my F6B and love it. If you like firm seats, you will be a fan. If you like soft seats, you will likely not be a fan. I like to take multi-day rides. The softer seats - to me - are extremely uncomfortable after the first day. The recovery time seems to equal the previous day's ride. The firmer seats - such as the Mustang and Corbin - may feel uncomfortable by the end of a long day but the recovery time is hours not days. These are definitely just my experiences. Yours will almost certainly be different.

Seats are like windshields. It's a personal preference. We sometimes have to try a few options before finding what suits us. It can be expensive, but I have to admit I love buying accessories for the bike!!

opas ride
09-09-2015, 09:56 PM
I bought mine to lower the seat height for the most part..It looks great on the bike and after about 5,000 miles of riding time it seems to work fine..Butt does get a little "testy" after about a l00 miles or so and my "boys" seem to fall asleep after a longer ride..I am 75+ and need to stop anyhow to stretch so no big issue so far...I am currently waiting for a couple of guys on the board to respond as to how they like the seat mods from "Mean City Cycles"..Allen and his crew apparently do great work on stock seats from many different bike brands and now can do several changes to the F6B seat for a whole lot less money than an after market one...I have my stock seat in the garage and am seriously thinking about having him lower it and narrow it at the front ....If I do, and it works out, I will probably sell the Mustang seat and take the hit, as the stock seat is pretty comfortable, but to high for me....Regards

Old Ryder
09-10-2015, 06:59 AM
The B in stock form is a bit "cramped" for me. The Mustang set me back a bit, but also set me lower--and closer to the pegs and controls, hence it made a cramped position worse---my knees were above my hips. See the pic.

Bob Penn
09-10-2015, 09:24 AM
From the start I never liked the stock seat. It was too high and too hard for short people 5'8" or less with tender butts. In fact it was gone the first week I got the bike. I replaced it with the Mustang. I liked the fact it was lower. Short people have short legs, 28" inseam in my case, so that 1" plus the 1" lowering kit I had installed allows me to sit flat footed at a light and walk the bike much easier when necessary.
I could be wrong but I kind of remember them telling me it set me back 2". I know I had to add The Kury. bar adjustment kit to bring the bars back and up 2" to get fully comfortable. Now I'm almost happy.
The bad feature I found was the lack of an available back rest. I can imagine this could be a real problem for a taller person because even a runt like me misses the comfort of being able to lounge back during longer rides. The seat's high back just doesn't do it.
One member on this site has made a very nice looking back rest on a Mustang so that may be my winter project.

GiddyupF6B
09-10-2015, 09:26 AM
I chose the Ultimate over the Mustang for a couple reasons...the biggest one being you have to remove the seat to take off the side covers. That was the deal breaker for me.

opas ride
09-10-2015, 10:12 AM
I chose the Ultimate over the Mustang for a couple reasons...the biggest one being you have to remove the seat to take off the side covers. That was the deal breaker for me.
Not an accurate statement on side covers!!...Yes, it can be a little difficult, but if your careful lift out the bottom part first and then"wiggle" the top loose they come right out..I have had mine out a couple of times and okay so far....Just be patience and careful.....Regards

Injun Joe
09-10-2015, 07:59 PM
Not an accurate statement on side covers!!...Yes, it can be a little difficult, but if your careful lift out the bottom part first and then"wiggle" the top loose they come right out..I have had mine out a couple of times and okay so far....Just be patience and careful.....Regards

I can remove mine too. Keep in mind these seats were changed a little early ones. I'm guessing it's those very early ones with fitment issues.

GiddyupF6B
09-10-2015, 10:32 PM

When Mustang first came out with this seat they made the statement themselves that the side covers couldn't be removed with the seat installed. Maybe that's changed but it wasn't the case when I purchased my seat.

DaWadd
09-11-2015, 08:59 AM
Only complaint I have with the Mustang seat is it is a little too firm but my AirHawk pad overcomes that. The backrest part is great when using the highway pegs and for backing the bike up too.

stevenolts
09-11-2015, 09:20 AM
I love my Mustang seat / I am 5' 8" and it almost gets me flat footed.

It is very comfortable and looks great but on very long rides I wish I could add a back rest.

Does anyone have a seat cover for when you park outside at work etc... to prevent rain from making the seat wet. It also does get a little wet after a rain.
Steve