PDA

View Full Version : CCW training is over

seadog
09-10-2015, 06:46 PM
I just took the concealed carry class from a nice pair of X sheriff department people southwest of Cadillac, Michigan. You want good people training you in this matter. A mediocre Instuctor isn't worth a plug nickel when your talking about you carrying a gun and the responsibility and do's and don'ts that you have to know. I have two hand guns, the small one I will conceal carry but the training requires you to shoot 25 feet and the small gun is a 5 to 7 foot gun. So the bigger 9mm went to the training and it was absolutely informative. These two were excellent instructors and it started at 8 AM and we didn't go to the range to put all they taught us to use until 2PM and we were on the range until 5 PM with them correcting our stance, how we hold the gun, how to do it safely, arms length shooting which is the distance of most close personal attacks, and how to cover the torso of an attacker to make his day a bad one. They brought up stuff I had never considered before and unless you haven't had any official training wouldn't think of right off hand. If that is something that you are considering doing then by all means find people that have already taken the class your interested in and see if they consider it a good one, it most important that it has good instructors.

Ixol Phaane
09-10-2015, 06:52 PM
I just took the concealed carry class from a nice pair of X sheriff department people southwest of Cadillac, Michigan. You want good people training you in this matter. A mediocre Instuctor isn't worth a plug nickel when your talking about you carrying a gun and the responsibility and do's and don'ts that you have to know. I have two hand guns, the small one I will conceal carry but the training requires you to shoot 25 feet and the small gun is a 5 to 7 foot gun. So the bigger 9mm went to the training and it was absolutely informative. These two were excellent instructors and it started at 8 AM and we didn't go to the range to put all they taught us to use until 2PM and we were on the range until 5 PM with them correcting our stance, how we hold the gun, how to do it safely, arms length shooting which is the distance of most close personal attacks, and how to cover the torso of an attacker to make his day a bad one. They brought up stuff I had never considered before and unless you haven't had any official training wouldn't think of right off hand. If that is something that you are considering doing then by all means find people that have already taken the class your interested in and see if they consider it a good one, it most important that it has good instructors.

:yes: +1

dickiedeals
09-10-2015, 07:00 PM
Not to stir trouble, But if you are going to Conceal Carry Training is never over. You must Practice and stay Familiar with the Weapon you carry..I recommend finding a range near by and Shooting IDPA or similar. Shoot at least once a month. I try to shoot once a week.................................Dickie

seadog
09-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Not to stir trouble, But if you are going to Conceal Carry Training is never over. You must Practice and stay Familiar with the Weapon you carry..I recommend finding a range near by and Shooting IDPA or similar. Shoot at least once a month. I try to shoot once a week.................................Dickie

I hear you Dickie, to stay on the lead edge of anything require you to practice, practice, Practice. But you have to get the training by certified instuctors to get the concealed carry permit. Then its up to you to maintain your ability and increase your reaction times and accuracy.
Just like riding your motorcycle, if you only take it out once a year for 50 miles your never going to be safe on it, that requires years and miles of experience.

Steve 0080
09-10-2015, 07:51 PM

I'll take it a step further.... a gun needs to become second nature, using it w/o thought of the act of doing it... I feel like folks who have never fired a handgun are just as competent as folks who take a Riders safety class and never get out of second gear. I am sure the instructors gave you the law side along with the civil ramifications as well..... but you, ( whoever ) will need a lot of practice and hope you never use it......;2cents2;

seadog
09-11-2015, 06:48 AM
I'll take it a step further.... a gun needs to become second nature, using it w/o thought of the act of doing it... I feel like folks who have never fired a handgun are just as competent as folks who take a Riders safety class and never get out of second gear. I am sure the instructors gave you the law side along with the civil ramifications as well..... but you, ( whoever ) will need a lot of practice and hope you never use it......;2cents2;

When all else has failed and there are no other options left between you an immediate death then you need to be able to pull the trigger, if you can't then don't buy a gun. You are definitely correct it need to become second nature. None of us will know until it on us how we will react to a situation unless you have trained and practice for such an event. It like they showed me, if all you do is shoot targets at 25 feet you won't be ready to deal with someone that is right in your face and going to kill you. So that is something most people don't train for. But you really need too. Practice and training and knowing how to handle a situation is definitely key things to put into practice. I have had guns all my life but they did open my eyes up to things I had not thought of and was just blown away by the training they provided. Your two cents is definitely appreciated as everyone's perspective is worth more than that.

opas ride
09-11-2015, 11:47 AM
What a shame our country has become...I have several weapons for personal protection myself and hope that I can enjoy them, but never have to fire one at someone!!!....