PDA

View Full Version : Nervous about my Hwy Pegs

Heavvyduty
09-10-2015, 07:30 PM
Got my Kuryakyn Hwy pegs on today. Makes the ride 100% better (TILL) I come on to a nice curve.. Wow I feel like if I lean into the curve they are going to dig in. They haven't an I don't want that to happen. Not into dragging pegs. I put a measuring tape on there height an it was shy of 11in. is that ok ?took a pic of peg best i could

lloydmoore1
09-10-2015, 07:42 PM
Yeah they look too low. Below the crash bar and they will scrape hard on the corners,be careful.

Steve 0080
09-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Looks to me like they will fold up...Drive on !!!!

I have seen a few ground down but have never heard of someone being ejected....:pop::pop:

stepbill
09-10-2015, 07:54 PM
Looks to me like they will fold up...Drive on !!!!

I have seen a few ground down but have never heard of someone being ejected....:pop::pop:

That's what I was going to say. If you see a sharp curve coming, just flip that side up with your foot. I have the Ergo III and do that all the time.

shooter
09-10-2015, 08:01 PM
I don't like it. I wouldnt ride it like that around here. And yeah I think its dangerous. I would drag that within a half mile of the house.

DMAGOLDRDR
09-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Got my Kuryakyn Hwy pegs on today. Makes the ride 100% better (TILL) I come on to a nice curve.. Wow I feel like if I lean into the curve they are going to dig in. They haven't an I don't want that to happen. Not into dragging pegs. I put a measuring tape on there height an it was shy of 11in. is that ok ?took a pic of peg best i could

Make sure they fold up and back.. Move your stock pegs to see the direction they should move.
They are very low but at least if they fold correctly then only the mount will hit the road.

I have spent most of my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Heavvyduty
09-10-2015, 08:40 PM
Can i get a few of you guys to post pics of your pegs, so i can judge witch way to go

willtill
09-10-2015, 08:49 PM
That is what titanium pucks are for. :icon_mrgreen:

They will not "dig in" but they may scrape...

Face it... the F6B does not have the lean clearance as other bikes. I saw that last weekend in Franklin, NC. Sparks will abound; if you cut a curve too hard. It is indeed a challenge to not do that; especially if you are coming off of bikes which previously allowed you more lean into a corner... without scraping.

I have a set of Kuryakyn Ergo III's on order as well... will be conscious that they'll scrape if not careful... like others have said...

Highway pegs on the F6B are for the long haul... not for extreme twisties....

shooter
09-10-2015, 09:17 PM
The Rivco Aero pegs won't drag unless you lay it on its side.

xltsport
09-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Why don't more companies make pegs that mount off the vertical bar? I understand it is harder to make it adjustable front to back but it seems like it would be safer

Sorcerer
09-10-2015, 10:24 PM
I've ground the heat shields under the exhaust pipes on both sides. Also have ground the right front crash bar. Your set up would put me down. With in the first hour of ownership of my F6B I knocked my foot off the OEM foot peg. Ankle hurt like the dickens.

SoCal Rich
09-10-2015, 11:11 PM
These are perfectly designed, and I love them. If you have your foot on the highway peg in a turn, it will touch before the main peg. But if your foot is not on it, the main peg touches first. Therefore, when you come into a turn with the bike leaning a lot, simply lift up on the highway peg and it will not scrape.

bigdawg
09-11-2015, 01:03 AM
They look way too low to me. I have Ergo IIIs so they are different, but mine don't extend any lower than the crash bar. I also typically only use them on long straight highways and flip them up for corners. Are you sure you put them on right? Just asking:icon_biggrin:

Jimmytee
09-11-2015, 04:51 AM
I have the Ergo IIIs so they raise up when you take your foot off them. However, I have had my feet on them a few times into corners that were sharper than what I thought, and the Ergo IIIs just rotate up when they come into contact with the road.:icon_wink:

Fla_rider
09-11-2015, 06:30 AM

You mounted the pegs below the engine guard, mine are above. I still flip them up in curves. Just not many in Florida.

Heavvyduty
09-11-2015, 06:31 AM
You mounted the pegs below the engine guard, mine are above.

Thats what i was lookin for..seems like i do everything twice LOL Tks

DaWadd
09-11-2015, 08:50 AM
I mounted my Rivco pegs on the vertical bar just for that reason. I put them up a little higher since this pic was taken. http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae351/JeffsAero/IMG_9476_zpsvncwukwk.jpg

BIGLRY
09-11-2015, 12:28 PM
Can i get a few of you guys to post pics of your pegs, so i can judge witch way to go
Here are my ERGO lll and I do drag them, but not to bad.:301:

willtill
09-11-2015, 12:55 PM
[SIZE=3]Here are my ERGO lll and I do drag them, but not to bad

http://i62.tinypic.com/rcilts.jpg

BIGLRY,

Have you ever dragged the portion of the peg arm (that I indicated with the red arrow) while the peg was folded up?

Or would the regular driver's peg (in your case the KY-4321) touch down/drag first?

BIGLRY
09-11-2015, 02:48 PM
BIGLRY,

Have you ever dragged the portion of the peg arm (that I indicated with the red arrow) while the peg was folded up?

Or would the regular driver's peg (in your case the KY-4321) touch down/drag first?Nope never had that part hit, but the KY-4321 will hit first on my scoot.

I do recommend anyone who is worried that any aftermarket part they put on is going to hit to use the plywood trick to see what hit first when leaning the scoot.
Take a sheet of plywood lay in on the ground with the long side edge touching the front & rear tires. Now while someone holds the bike straight up off the side stand and not on the center stand lift the outer edge of the plywood keeping the inner edge against the tires and watch what hits the plywood first.
This method does no take in to account of how much low the bike would be with you on it, but the same test can be done with you on the bike and your helper lifting the plywood while you support the bike with straight up and one foot on the peg the side the plywood is on.

willtill
09-11-2015, 02:57 PM
Nope never had that part hit, but the KY-4321 will hit first on my scoot.

I do recommend anyone who is worried that any aftermarket part they put on is going to hit to use the plywood trick to see what hit first when leaning the scoot.
Take a sheet of plywood lay in on the ground with the long side edge touching the front & rear tires. Now while someone holds the bike straight up off the side stand and not on the center stand lift the outer edge of the plywood keeping the inner edge against the tires and watch what hits the plywood first.
This method does no take in to account of how much low the bike would be with you on it, but the same test can be done with you on the bike and your helper lifting the plywood while you support the bike with straight up and one foot on the peg the side the plywood is on.

That is an interesting and effective demonstration; of parts that may get ground up; before you get ground up :icon_lol:

Most excellent! Thanks for the procedure. :yes:

willtill
09-17-2015, 06:14 PM
Hey BIGLRY,

I just installed those Kuryakyn #4321 Kinetic pegs on my drop downs. I like the feel of them... wasn't too happy with the previous mini-boards; since I had to use the inside front of my left foot to shift. :no:

Now shifting is back to normal... can easily get my boot under the shifter.

Thanks for the idea and recommendation of them... from one of your previous posts! :yes:

Kdarmy
09-17-2015, 07:21 PM

Look to me like your mounting bracket is more for a horizontal bar which is higher up.

I installed the one pictured which is designed for the goldwing, it has that piece which goes under the motor for support and allows the pegs to be mounted flush with the horizontal bar (or even a little below or above)

Kdarmy
09-17-2015, 07:41 PM
Here's mine...

Dirtstiff's F6B
09-17-2015, 09:13 PM
Switch your mounts, right for left. That will put your pegs and hardware in the correct, higher position.
J

BIGLRY
09-18-2015, 10:49 AM
Hey BIGLRY,

I just installed those Kuryakyn #4321 Kinetic pegs on my drop downs. I like the feel of them... wasn't too happy with the previous mini-boards; since I had to use the inside front of my left foot to shift. :no:

Now shifting is back to normal... can easily get my boot under the shifter.

Thanks for the idea and recommendation of them... from one of your previous posts! :yes: Not my original idea, I have to thank coffee_weasle:yes: for doing this and giving me the idea that it might be the way for me to go also. Now that I have a few hundred miles on them I'm a very happy rider with better shifting along with a much better foot position than what I had with the mini boards.
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6750-Kuryakyn-Comfort-Drop-Mounts-with-Kinetic-footpegs