PDA

View Full Version : F6B Problem...???

Kdarmy
09-14-2015, 05:12 PM
Just looking for some opinions...

My new 2015 just turned over 1,600mi.
This is my first Goldwing, and one of the reasons I got it was I was always impressed by how quiet and smooth they always seemed, like at bike shows etc....when they are moving slow and shifting gears, sometimes they sound like a Toyota Corolla just gliding along...just Smooth is my point. My bike just doesn't seem smooth.

Now I know my bike has a different pipes on it and all compared to a full size GW..which is fine, I like that sound :icon_biggrin:
But what I don't like is that if I drive slow, like thru my neighborhood or if I hit the main roads at higher speeds the gears seem clunky...no matter how I shift (tried pre-loading the shifter) its just not quiet like I thought it would be, and its not just the gears, the engine itself seems to make lots of sounds of it own, again...just not as quiet as I expected.

Another thing is when I get back to my neighborhood where things are quiet and I'm just going slow (20mph or so)...instead of just gliding along, one thing I notice is that the front brakes make a slight intermittent schooch...schooch....schooch dragging sound....is this normal? Should they be adjusted?

I know if I take it back to Honda and they test ride it, they will just say everything is normal...and I don't know?...maybe they would be right? I think what I need is someone experienced with a GW so that they could ride it and give me their honest opinions.

Again, just looking for some feedback. The only time the bike runs the way I thought it would is when I wear my hearing plugs.

Thanks,
Keith

stroguy
09-14-2015, 05:53 PM
Hook up with another Floridian this weekend and drive their B. Go have lunch and compare sounds like two old men comparing farts over a game of chess at the park.

Kdarmy
09-14-2015, 06:11 PM
I think that's what I need to do. Being new to the F6B GW, I have nothing to compare it to so unsure if I need to have Honda take a look at it or not.

What about the brakes?

BTW....I am pretty certain that my fart sounds are normal, little more like a Harley tho :icon_biggrin:

willtill
09-14-2015, 06:20 PM
Unless you have already warped a rotor (or damaged it via impact); the brake sound is normal. The brake pads are free floating over the rotors; there is some drag that you may hear. Maybe a piston is sticking but I seriously doubt it; especially with the minimum amount of miles you have amassed to date.

You cannot "adjust" the brakes. You can only bleed them (the system) and replace the pads, as well as grease the caliper pins.

Donncat
09-14-2015, 06:38 PM
I have owned 5 GWs, 2 Valkyries and now my 6B. A few things you can count on. It will be the most reliable scoot you can buy. Smooth engine is undeniable as is that whine that comes from the fuel pump (always thought it was the alternator). But the tranny has always has been a clunker as in clunk, clunk and clunk when you shift, up or down. Won't matter. The brakes should be smoooooth and quiet so if it's new I would make Honda look it over. I bought the latest (13 FB6) from Extreme Power Sports on 301 just south of 60. Would recommend them if you can't get satisfaction where you bought yours. If I can help you in any way let me know, I kinda know my way around a Gold Wing. :icon_cool:

shooter
09-14-2015, 06:40 PM
Its a motorcycle. The engine noise isn't isolated in a sound proofed engine compartment. Its right there between your legs. Everything you described sounds normal. Ride it. Its under warranty. If you're lucky it will only last 200,000 miles.

carpdm
09-14-2015, 08:10 PM
I like most everything about my B, except the clunky transmission. Learner to accept it.

motozeke
09-14-2015, 09:17 PM
...But the tranny has always has been a clunker as in clunk, clunk and clunk when you shift, up or down. Won't matter.

I liken it to snapping a chicken bone every time I shift. Not like my VFR, which is LIKE BUTTAH...

stroguy
09-14-2015, 09:26 PM
You folks obviously are not using the transmission mute switch.

Navvet
09-14-2015, 09:30 PM
Another thing is when I get back to my neighborhood where things are quiet and I'm just going slow (20mph or so)...instead of just gliding along, one thing I notice is that the front brakes make a slight intermittent schooch...schooch....schooch dragging sound....is this normal? Should they be adjusted?

I had the same worries about the brakes when I fist got my F6B .... Look at it this way .... your bike is so quiet you can now hear normal operating noises that have been drowned out before.....

As an example, jack up a wheel on your car and then turn the tire .... you'll hear the same "schooch ... schooch" ..... Normal with disk brakes.....

shooter
09-14-2015, 10:02 PM
You folks obviously are not using the transmission mute switch.

I tried that but it was so quiet I couldn't sleep. I need a little noise.

Steve 0080
09-14-2015, 11:16 PM
We have a RTE on Oct 4th...ride over and you can see and compare a few F6's...then decide... you can ride mine if the lights don't blind you !!!!
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6628-CENTRAL-FLORIDA-RTE-III

blackmetoc
09-15-2015, 05:02 AM
We have a RTE on Oct 4th...ride over and you can see and compare a few F6's...then decide... you can ride mine if the lights don't blind you !!!!
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6628-CENTRAL-FLORIDA-RTE-III

I think I saw a UFO!!

Fla_rider
09-15-2015, 07:03 AM
1,600 miles still with Mother Honda oil, wait for the first oil change with Rotella T6. It gets quieter then. See you on Oct 4th in Plant City.

willtill
09-15-2015, 07:12 AM
1,600 miles still with Mother Honda oil, wait for the first oil change with Rotella T6. It gets quieter then. See you on Oct 4th in Plant City.

Yea, I'm at 2500 miles now; still with the original oil in it from purchase new. Going to swap out soon with same GN4 oil though... I may go synthetic down the road... bike sounds fine with the Dino oil.

Fla_rider
09-15-2015, 07:19 AM
Will it shifts better with T6!

willtill
09-15-2015, 08:05 AM
Will it shifts better with T6!

That's what they say. But mine seems to shift fine, no issues or clanking with it. Seems very smooth. Why fix something that doesn't need fixing?

If it shifts any smoother... I won't be able to tell that I actually shifted it. :icon_lol:

And besides.. I had a bad experience with Shell Rotella T6... covered that in another thread....

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6950-What-oil-are-you-using&highlight=shell+rotella

opas ride
09-15-2015, 10:36 AM
It appears to me that you are trying to hard to hear strange sounds/noises..It's a motorcycle and makes weird sounds as do most of them. The GW/F6B is one of the more reliable bikes on the planet and I would not worry about the little noises it makes..Sometimes my transmission is a little noisy, other times not...Switching to Rotella T-6 did not make much difference to me, but the trans shifts fine, the bike runs great and that is all that counts for me....Ride safe...

dickiedeals
09-15-2015, 02:16 PM
That's what they say. But mine seems to shift fine, no issues or clanking with it. Seems very smooth. Why fix something that doesn't need fixing?

If it shifts any smoother... I won't be able to tell that I actually shifted it. :icon_lol:

And besides.. I had a bad experience with Shell Rotella T6... covered that in another thread....

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6950-What-oil-are-you-using&highlight=shell+rotella

I Have no Doubt You've been convinced that Rotella T6 caused you cam problems. I doubt the oil had much to do with it.Perhaps something mechanical,who knows..Rotella T6 5W-40 exceeds JASO,DH2 AND JASO MA OIL as specified by Honda... I believe it to be a better oil than Honda's synthhetic and much less expensive. I've run it hundreds of thousands of miles in 6 dump trucks..
This being said ,you run what you think is best for you...If you put the Honda oil between your fingers and rub them together and do the same with Rotella T6 you will see from feel that the T6 is much more slick. Try it..Smoother shifts convinced me...PS Turn up the radio and ride the wheels off and don't worry about every little noise...Buy a Harley if you want noises to worry about...................Dickie

Kdarmy
09-15-2015, 04:17 PM
Thank you all for the input...Being new to the F6B, it makes me feel better hearing what others with more experience on this bike have to say about it.

After putting up $22,000 for this bike...Yes, I am a bit picky about how it performs and by not having another to compare it to, I just want to make sure it is operating as it should.

That's the beauty of forums! Lots of folks with the same interest helping each other.:icon_mrgreen:

Depending on weather, I'll try to shoot for that RTE in October.

Thanks!
Keith

dickiedeals
09-15-2015, 04:50 PM
Thank you all for the input...Being new to the F6B, it makes me feel better hearing what others with more experience on this bike have to say about it.

After putting up $22,000 for this bike...Yes, I am a bit picky about how it performs and by not having another to compare it to, I just want to make sure it is operating as it should.

That's the beauty of forums! Lots of folks with the same interest helping each other.:icon_mrgreen:

Depending on weather, I'll try to shoot for that RTE in October.

Thanks!
Keith

I'm not going to make it to the RE in October but you are welcome to come over to the Coca area and ride mine for comparison................................Dickie

NitroGoose
09-15-2015, 04:55 PM
What's up with the 5th gear shift? Sometimes it seems notchy - like it tries to stop the shift halfway into the gear, and then slips in the rest of the way. Is there some sort of dual-stage for the overdrive? I notice when it does happen, the initial shift into 5th occurs, but then when that second 'notch' on 5th slips into place, the overdrive light comes on.

I've had a couple of trannys apart before on older bikes, so I have a good visual of how the forks and dogs work together. Just never experienced the notchy feeling on 5th before.

FWIW, the 1st-2nd shift (and all others for that matter) are quieter than they are on my VTX.

yellow rex
09-15-2015, 05:32 PM
Try shifting above 3000 RPM that will smoothen the shifting some what.

NitroGoose
09-15-2015, 09:39 PM
You're right... higher revs generally help. I've noticed that with both of my Hondas. They don't like to be short-shifted.

But, fifth is different. None of the other gears on mine have that hitch where it feels like it's temporarily hanging up on the dog.

Now, if only the gear casing was transparent, I could stick my head down there & watch it shift. Then, maybe it would make more sense to me.

Rudy
09-15-2015, 09:53 PM
Mine is clunky loud 1st through 5th, Silky smooth and quiet when when shifting into 6th. The roll on power is so good in each gear that I never know what clunkin gear I'm in. :biggthumpup:

53driver
09-15-2015, 10:30 PM
I'm a Shell Rotella T6 convert.
Used it in my '81 Wing & 98 Valk. Smoothed everything right out.
Currently running it in my F6B - awesomeness.

Also, remember that 4th AND 5th are both overdrive gears and do not like the aforementioned "short-shifting."

shooter
09-15-2015, 10:33 PM
Smoothen?:poke:

stroguy
09-15-2015, 10:47 PM
Smoothen?:poke:

It's that moment when you is fixin to sneak in to bed with that special thang........"I be smoothen between the sheets for you honey".

Fla_rider
09-16-2015, 08:56 AM
Mine is clunky loud 1st through 5th, Silky smooth and quiet when when shifting into 6th. The roll on power is so good in each gear that I never know what clunkin gear I'm in. :biggthumpup:

6th? What you talking about Willis?

xcrider
09-16-2015, 09:08 AM

Not convinced I'll trade my beloved Vic XC for for a F6B just yet but I love this forum. You guys are a hoot!:icon_lol:

Rudy
09-16-2015, 02:28 PM

Fla-Rider,
I see you haven't found that phantom 6th gear either. I sure have tried many times. I can't tell you how many times I have tried shifting from 5th thinking there was another gear. As I mentioned in another thread on this forum about a gear indicator for the "B", if I had a dollar for every time I have shifted from 5th gear thinking there was another I could have treated everyone on here to lunch! :icon_mrgreen: Have to get me one of them gear indicators this winter.:icon_mrgreen:

stroguy
09-16-2015, 02:42 PM
5th has an indicator. I consider 1st and 2nd as having one as well. 1 down from green and 1 up from green. Then 3rd and 4th are just nuisance gears to get to 75.

opas ride
09-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Not convinced I'll trade my beloved Vic XC for for a F6B just yet but I love this forum. You guys are a hoot!:icon_lol:
I loved both my Vic's, but no comparison to the F6B in my opinion....The difference is smoother, faster, less wind/road noise, great handling and better reliability in the long run....But, both are great bikes....Ride safe...

willtill
09-16-2015, 04:44 PM
I loved both my Vic's, but no comparison to the F6B in my opinion....The difference is smoother, faster, less wind/road noise, great handling and better reliability in the long run....But, both are great bikes....Ride safe...

The Vision has MUCH BETTER leg room... but I am adapting to the F6B's different rider posture; especially with the foot placement. Thank goodness highway pegs are realizable for it.

When I first started riding my new F6B; I kept raising my feet upon takeoff; and hitting them against the valve covers; unconsciously trying to look for floorboards like on my previous two bikes... :icon_doh:

I have some Kuryakyn #4321 Kinetic black pegs inbound via FedEx tomorrow; will be removing my new mini-floorboards; and installing the #4321's on the drop down mounts. Taking a recommendation from a few others here; about how much better the foot position is with those...

hgslayr
09-16-2015, 05:21 PM
Mine shifts very smooth and is very quiet compared to most other bikes on the road...Might be that you have to get used to shift/clutch timing...As soon as my clutch hits the bar I shift and start roling the throttle while letting off the clutch.. very smooth and quiet...

opas ride
09-16-2015, 06:06 PM
The Vision has MUCH BETTER leg room... but I am adapting to the F6B's different rider posture; especially with the foot placement. Thank goodness highway pegs are realizable for it.

When I first started riding my new F6B; I kept raising my feet upon takeoff; and hitting them against the valve covers; unconsciously trying to look for floorboards like on my previous two bikes... :icon_doh:

I have some Kuryakyn #4321 Kinetic black pegs inbound via FedEx tomorrow; will be removing my new mini-floorboards; and installing the #4321's on the drop down mounts. Taking a recommendation from a few others here; about how much better the foot position is with those...
I agree my friend, the Vision Tour I had was,without question, perhaps the most comfortable touring bike I have ever owned. Great on the super-slab and terrific leg room as you said..I am only 5'9" with a short inseam so the riding position on the 6 is fine with me...I have a Mustang seat and all works well...If I were going back to longer touring rides I would get another Vision without question....Regards...

willtill
09-16-2015, 07:05 PM
I agree my friend, the Vision Tour I had was,without question, perhaps the most comfortable touring bike I have ever owned. Great on the super-slab and terrific leg room as you said..I am only 5'9" with a short inseam so the riding position on the 6 is fine with me...I have a Mustang seat and all works well...If I were going back to longer touring rides I would get another Vision without question....Regards...

I do wish that they were built better. Because I would of kept it.. if it was.

I had to go back to Japanese; for reliability. At least these F6B's were made in the states, by Americans. Maybe one day; American motorcycle manufacturers can draw on the quality of these Japanese motorcycle designs. And produce a rival product.

In a general sense; the Asia Pacific manufacturers have been reverse engineering our American technology and designs. Why can't we "reverse engineer" them back.... for cheaper....?

opas ride
09-16-2015, 08:38 PM
I do wish that they were built better. Because I would of kept it.. if it was.

I had to go back to Japanese; for reliability. At least these F6B's were made in the states, by Americans. Maybe one day; American motorcycle manufacturers can draw on the quality of these Japanese motorcycle designs. And produce a rival product.

In a general sense; the Asia Pacific manufacturers have been reverse engineering our American technology and designs. Why can't we "reverse engineer" them back.... for cheaper....?
I think you meant on the above post that the Vision is made in America by Americans...The F6B is currently made in Japan in their new plant as far as I know..Some rumors are suggesting that Honda may move back to a new motorcycle plant in Tennessee if they get the tax breaks they are looking for....Ride safe

shooter
09-16-2015, 10:08 PM
It's that moment when you is fixin to sneak in to bed with that special thang........"I be smoothen between the sheets for you honey".

Stro , I got moves that are so slick that "Smoothen" don't even begin to describe it.

stroguy
09-16-2015, 10:12 PM
I seen you in action Holmes!

shooter
09-16-2015, 10:17 PM
Guys its like Hgslayer said above. You gotta get out of it , yank the lever , bang the gear , and get back in it all at the same time. I see guys pull the clutch and then , wait for it , shift , let the clutch out , then roll on the throttle. They aren't real smooth like that. The quicker you complete the process , the less the rpm drop and the smoother the shift. And like what was also said if you shift above 3000 rpm it really helps.

NitroGoose
09-18-2015, 08:53 AM
Yeah... it really is a sweet ride. Even when I'm naming its idiosyncrasies, I feel like I'm nitpicking. It does just about everything better than any bike I've ever had.

MisterB
10-03-2015, 02:08 AM
I put a 12" taller windshield on tonight, now I hear EVERYTHING!
The radio is finally audible at highway speeds, will leave a flash drive plugged in with good tunes to mask the noises.

okiedoc
10-08-2015, 08:15 PM
About 4500 miles the clunk went away on mine. It was loud even with preload until it hit 4500 miles.

NitroGoose
10-09-2015, 02:18 AM
Yep. Bigger windscreens seem to reflect ALL the noises. I remember thinking my VTX engine sounded like a bucket of loose bolts after installing a Memphis Shades. The forums said that the bucket of loose bolts noise meant a happy bike on the VTX, so I rode on and got used to it.

It has the 1st-2nd clunk to this day. Chalked that up to being a Honda tranny. Haven't quite reached the 4500 mile mark on my F6B, but the shifts do seem to get smoother the more miles I put on.

motoman
10-13-2015, 11:53 PM
The F6B is the smoothest bike you are ever gonna ride. I suggest you use full synthetic 10w-40 and ride it a little harder.

It will appreciate it and reward you handsomely.

You might also look into the Kury heel-toe shifter. I love mine. But don't bang it into 2nd or 3rd--a light tap is all that is needed.