PDA

View Full Version : Riding since 1977, but yesterday was a first!

Old Ryder
09-19-2015, 05:56 PM
It has been over 24 hours and I am still mad! I was riding in the Great Smokies this week and there was a lot going on. Deals Gap was the busiest I have ever seen it and I have been a few times and it was a Friday no less. After doing some casual riding I decide it is time to head to my buds place in Asheville and the GPS takes me to Pigeon Forge. I was coming in a back way and got on a main 2 lane highway (321????) Anyway I see a group of Harleys coming up and I am following a car and we are all running 55. When it turns into a 4 lane I pass the car on the left as my GPS is telling me I will be turning left in 2 miles so I hold the left lane and increase my speed to about 65 so that I am not holding anybody up. This is now 2 lanes in each direction and a middle turning lane. Some of the Harleys pass me in the right lane---no big deal--then others are passing me on the left in the turning lane. Of course it goes without saying that everybody had to downshift so that they are turning 3-4000 RPM as if their bikes aren't loud enough. As we are coming up to a light (not my turn) they are having to lock it down to get stopped and diving in front of me---AKA cutting me off. So now we are all sitting at the light---me being surrounded by this 3 patch group of about 20 clowns and the one thing they all share is the Marine patch. So now we take off and others decide that since the right lane is now full they will pass me in my lane on the right and also in the left turn lane, but since it is now congested, they are again diving in front of me as I am accelerating and trying very hard to avoid these clowns. Then the leader notices that he needs to turn right at the same intersection where I am turning left and now they are ALL "doing a brake check" while they find room in the other lane.

I really don't care how people ride their bikes. They are welcome to do whatever they choose-----------UNTIL THEY INFRINGE ON MY SAFETY!!!!!! I am trying to understand a motive.............

1-Let's scare this 60 year old man with our loud bikes and reckless riding ability. They did not scare me at all----they did succeed in making me very angry!
2-We are in a big hurry and this red rice burner is slowing us down going 10 MPH over the limit.
3-WOW what an awesome red bike! Let's pass it so we can get a better look!

I can't help but wonder if that would have happened a few years ago when I rode Harleys. I have noticed that this mentality gets very bad as the size of the pack grows. As a motorcycle society, we have grown to the point where we cannot ride a nice bike without running the risk of some fools harassing you for riding by yourself. Had I been in a group, I don't think this would ever happened.

shooter
09-19-2015, 06:27 PM
Ryder I would hope its an isolated incident. But I do think intimidation was the motive. Most MC people are good. I've learned not to judge a book by its cover. Thankfully everything worked out OK.

Steve 0080
09-19-2015, 06:44 PM
Then again, some folks never grow up...

taxfree4
09-19-2015, 06:46 PM
Have pity on them, they probably just binge-watched the Sons of Anarchy box set, put on the assless chaps, strapped on the bandanas and went hell-raisin. They most likely wound up at Starbucks for decaf latte's and blueberry scones.

opas ride
09-19-2015, 07:58 PM
I have been in a couple of similar situations over the last couple seasons since I got my F6B..I ride alone most of the time myself and these well meaning "mindless goons" on their obnoxiously loud and noisy HD's tried to intimidate me..They are just like teenagers in groups that think their "stuff" does not stink!! and love to imagine they are the "kings of the road"...I have generally been in a position where I could "blow them off" and watch the look of "stupid" on their faces as I motor away....These incidents are usually few and far between, but makes one wonder why many who ride Harley's think are better than others....I guess they feel noise and loud pipes make the bike and the man!!!!!....Ride safe

Wing'n it
09-19-2015, 08:15 PM
I have had a group before come up behind me on a 2 lane and all of them pass me on both sides but all of us staying in the right lane! Scared to hell out of me to have them so close and on both sides, again Harley idiots, not saying that all Harley riders are idiots but it seems to me that they are becoming the new A-holes not the crotch rockets anymore.

NitroGoose
09-19-2015, 09:11 PM
Last week, on two different days, I had cars (both Mustangs) pull up behind me in town, just to show off by blowing around me with their pedal mashed to the floor, engine screaming. I can only surmise that they thought the F6B looks fast, and they were trying to tempt me into a race. I'm a little older now, and generally don't feel the need to push back with a matching of testosterone.

Although... I have to admit I was ever so slightly tempted (when I pulled up next to one of them at a light) to crank it up and embarass him a little. Oh, it's a good thing I didn't have one of these when I was 20!

I agree though on the group intimidation thing. There's never a call for that kind of reckless drivel. They were obviously tring to fufill some sort of inadequacy by showing off to each other.

Glad you're ok.

willtill
09-20-2015, 06:24 AM
Modern day pirates. :icon_lol:

http://i60.tinypic.com/ea1m2x.jpg

moosedog
09-20-2015, 08:05 AM
Sounds like a reunion of The Wild Hogs!! If you had stayed with them you might have been able to join them in a skinny dip with a fruity cop......

Ericb445
09-20-2015, 10:09 AM
My last trip to Sturgis for rally week, I ran into more rude/dangerous riders then I have EVER encountered. All on Harleys :icon_rolleyes:

NitroGoose
09-20-2015, 02:45 PM
My last trip to Sturgis for rally week, I ran into more rude/dangerous riders then I have EVER encountered. All on Harleys :icon_rolleyes:

+1

F6wannaB
09-21-2015, 07:11 AM
It has been over 24 hours and I am still mad! I was riding in the Great Smokies this week and there was a lot going on. Deals Gap was the busiest I have ever seen it and I have been a few times and it was a Friday no less. After doing some casual riding I decide it is time to head to my buds place in Asheville and the GPS takes me to Pigeon Forge. I was coming in a back way and got on a main 2 lane highway (321????) Anyway I see a group of Harleys coming up and I am following a car and we are all running 55. When it turns into a 4 lane I pass the car on the left as my GPS is telling me I will be turning left in 2 miles so I hold the left lane and increase my speed to about 65 so that I am not holding anybody up. This is now 2 lanes in each direction and a middle turning lane. Some of the Harleys pass me in the right lane---no big deal--then others are passing me on the left in the turning lane. Of course it goes without saying that everybody had to downshift so that they are turning 3-4000 RPM as if their bikes aren't loud enough. As we are coming up to a light (not my turn) they are having to lock it down to get stopped and diving in front of me---AKA cutting me off. So now we are all sitting at the light---me being surrounded by this 3 patch group of about 20 clowns and the one thing they all share is the Marine patch. So now we take off and others decide that since the right lane is now full they will pass me in my lane on the right and also in the left turn lane, but since it is now congested, they are again diving in front of me as I am accelerating and trying very hard to avoid these clowns. Then the leader notices that he needs to turn right at the same intersection where I am turning left and now they are ALL "doing a brake check" while they find room in the other lane.

I really don't care how people ride their bikes. They are welcome to do whatever they choose-----------UNTIL THEY INFRINGE ON MY SAFETY!!!!!! I am trying to understand a motive.............

1-Let's scare this 60 year old man with our loud bikes and reckless riding ability. They did not scare me at all----they did succeed in making me very angry!
2-We are in a big hurry and this red rice burner is slowing us down going 10 MPH over the limit.
3-WOW what an awesome red bike! Let's pass it so we can get a better look!

I can't help but wonder if that would have happened a few years ago when I rode Harleys. I have noticed that this mentality gets very bad as the size of the pack grows. As a motorcycle society, we have grown to the point where we cannot ride a nice bike without running the risk of some fools harassing you for riding by yourself. Had I been in a group, I don't think this would ever happened.

Herd mentality at it's worst! It's hard enough to stay safe from cages without having to worry about other motorcyclists. I'm not anti Harley, I've had them and they were not for me. People should ride what they love and enjoy their ride.

Everyone on 2 wheels has witnessed this anti social and careless mob behavior, It is generally the minority IMHO, but senseless just the same. Unfortunately, I'll break a few speeding laws to avoid situations like this, I don't like the noise or putting faith in that type of groups riding abilities.:icon_doh:

I don't blame you for being angry! that would piss anyone off

Retired Army
09-21-2015, 07:52 AM
The image of the motorcycle and those who operate them has long suffered because of the actions of unthinking individuals. A rider known as Wheels is one of the best ambassadors for the riding population I have ran across. He has no legs and rides a highly modified Wing. I don't even come close to his tenacity, but do what I can to improve the image of riders. The amount of cycles on the road is an indication that more are joining the ranks. The burning question is, will you be a good or bad example?

valkmc
09-21-2015, 11:54 AM
Happened to me once leaving Ormond Beach during Bike Week, 4 of them pulled up behind me and when the light turned green at the bottom of the big bridge on 40 they split and started to pass. Boy were they loud. I was on my fairly new Valkyrie and it was 2 am so I said F'it and hit the throttle. When I got to the top they were way behind me and Mr. Policeman was setting on the other side of the bridge. I should have thanked those guys because after he pulled us over and I was the only sober one he let me go. They on the other hand were all off their bikes and as I pulled away two more patrol cars pulled up. I drove the speed limit all the way to my campsite.

Wing'n it
09-21-2015, 08:13 PM
Check this idiot Harley rider out, he's trying to be cool riding with idiot stunters and riding on the sidewalk. https://youtu.be/cY38-BFSsvM

Britman
09-23-2015, 08:23 PM
+1

+1 Will NEVER go back. Not even if someone paid!

JohnnyB
09-24-2015, 10:22 AM
No matter where you are or where you go, there is always that 10%! As a motorcyclist you just have to always be mentally prepared for what is happening or with what might happen. I ride in the Smoky Mountains a lot, go to Bike Week in Daytona every year, etc. What I am saying here is that you KNOW that if you ride your bike to Deals Gap, or Bike Week, or any place like those two places, you KNOW there are going to be a very large amount of bikes with all kinds of riders so be prepared to get into the mix, and you will always get into the mix. So be prepared, stay cool, be observant, or stay home!

Old Ryder
09-24-2015, 11:12 AM
No matter where you are or where you go, there is always that 10%! As a motorcyclist you just have to always be mentally prepared for what is happening or with what might happen. I ride in the Smoky Mountains a lot, go to Bike Week in Daytona every year, etc. What I am saying here is that you KNOW that if you ride your bike to Deals Gap, or Bike Week, or any place like those two places, you KNOW there are going to be a very large amount of bikes with all kinds of riders so be prepared to get into the mix, and you will always get into the mix. So be prepared, stay cool, be observant, or stay home!

Sorry Johnny, but I can't agree with that one. As a tax paying citizen, I do feel that I have the right to ride the highways of America without harrassment, intimidation and without putting my life in danger just because I ride a Honda or any other bike that does not have Harley Davidson on the tank. I will not stay home or avoid Deals Gap and yes I am going to Myrtle Beach next weekend. I will however, be alert to my surroundings and I will not be caught off guard again.

If the truth be known, I would wager that a significant portion of that group has a Civic, Accord, Camry, 4 Runner, Pathfinder or some Asian car in the driveway at home.

shooter
09-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Sorry Johnny, but I can't agree with that one. As a tax paying citizen, I do feel that I have the right to ride the highways of America without harrassment, intimidation and without putting my life in danger just because I ride a Honda or any other bike that does not have Harley Davidson on the tank. I will not stay home or avoid Deals Gap and yes I am going to Myrtle Beach next weekend. I will however, be alert to my surroundings and I will not be caught off guard again.

If the truth be known, I would wager that a significant portion of that group has a Civic, Accord, Camry, 4 Runner, Pathfinder or some Asian car in the driveway at home.

You got that right Ryder. We have a Harley Troll on our 109 forum. He owns a 9 but he also owns two HD's. He is constantly dissing the 109. Come to find out he drives a Lexus. The little prick wants it both ways. I'm usually in a group so I don't feel threatened. But even by myself I don't pay them any attention. What they did to you was definitely threatening. Hang in there.