PDA

View Full Version : My lucky neighbor

Bill1584
09-21-2015, 10:11 AM
Early Saturday I saw my neighbor of many years, Tony, hobbling his way down the sidewalk on crutches. Slowly. He'd been off the radar since mid August, but I'd assumed he was out of country on some job. However, he had been to Sturgis on his HD. As I had never seen him actually ride it, I never would have imagined him going to Sturgis. He was pretty busted up, with multiple plates in multiple bones in one leg, multiple plates holding his shoulder together, and serious surgical scars all over. Clavicle alone broken in two places. Turns out he hit a buffalo calf in a fairly blind bend late at night. Turns out he was riding a bit too fast. Buffalo are, as he put it, 'non-reflective'. About laughed my @$$ off at that one. Also turns out that the calf's mom was predictably sensitive to her young-un's injury, and gored him, clean through his shoulder. No helmet, but no serious head injuries. I like to think that couldn't have been me, but I know better. Eyes open, and ride the conditions.

http://www.kotatv.com/news/south-dakota-news/Biker-vs-buffalo-biker-survives-calf-doesn-t/34692288

His bike is in Kansas with his father, being repaired. Fortunately he had trailered it up there. He is months away from getting it back. Even then he will likely put it back into its place in his garage, only to be pulled out for washing from time to time.

lloydmoore1
09-21-2015, 10:38 AM
Funny cause ya can't make that shit up...thanks for the laugh. Hope he heals up.

stroguy
09-21-2015, 10:51 AM
And that's no bull schnitz. Wow, just wow!

shooter
09-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Bill that is funny but it ain't. You know that had to be bad laying in the road helpless while a buffalo is trying to gore you to death. When Stro was a kid he ran over a cat with his bike and killed it. After that all the puzzies in the neighborhood avoided him like the plague.

wjduke
09-21-2015, 12:39 PM
Good spot for this clip maybe...if this clip is bad, just you tube it...pretty funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=15&v=r2ERfv15EsI

ths61
09-21-2015, 12:53 PM
Ouch, they should introduce some bio-florescence engineering into those critters if they want to graze on the roadways.

... Fortunately he had trailered it up there. He is months away from getting it back. ...

Is that why Harley riders have their bikes in trailers versus pulling trailers ?

Bill1584
09-21-2015, 01:37 PM
Bill that is funny but it ain't. You know that had to be bad laying in the road helpless while a buffalo is trying to gore you to death. When Stro was a kid he ran over a cat with his bike and killed it. After that all the puzzies in the neighborhood avoided him like the plague.

Yes sir, on all counts. The only thing funny at all about it was how he told it. I neglected to mention that his daughter was behind him a ways in his truck and came up on all of it. I gather she ran off the road to scatter the buffalo. By then he knew it was bad, so to calm her down he told her to go get the whiskey. Maybe calm him a bit, too. He isn't normally a drinker. Naw I never thought it was funny. Plus, this is the only harley driver I ever met who didn't start out the story with how bad the bike ended up.

Stro killed a cat? Awwwww.

Steve 0080
09-21-2015, 01:56 PM
Crazy... and he get a ticket !!!! to much !!!

Ericb445
09-21-2015, 07:01 PM
What's really funny is I ran into some riders while in Wall drugs people watching, and they told me a my buddy this same story. I guess they seen it go down.
Crazy

Bill1584
04-20-2016, 01:47 PM
So last night his son-in-law came to my door and told me Tony had been killed in a four wheeler accident. Casual ride on a trail they both knew well. He had a life that would make most of us pretty envious, plus raised his daughter to adulthood as a single father. Nice fella, who I will miss.

GaTeach
04-20-2016, 01:56 PM
So last night his son-in-law came to my door and told me Tony had been killed in a four wheeler accident. Casual ride on a trail they both knew well. He had a life that would make most of us pretty envious, plus raised his daughter to adulthood as a single father. Nice fella, who I will miss.

Oh my goodness! So sorry!

Az Wingrider
04-20-2016, 07:20 PM
I have very vivid memories of sitting on my bike behind a bunch of cars on a road in Yellowstone while a group of buffalos strolled down the road. The people in the cars were laughing and taking pictures. I was very nervous, those suckers are huge and I literally had nowhere to go. I killed the motor, put the kickstand down and sat very still. If one of those big mother's started my way I was gonna let him have the bike and climb on top of a car. I can't imagine hitting one at speed and then having it turn on you

I feel for your neighbor. I hope he recovers completely

Bill1584
04-20-2016, 07:55 PM
Not this time, I'm afraid. Good thought, though. Thanks, Teach.

Az Wingrider
04-20-2016, 08:08 PM
Sorry I missed the post about his later misfortune

Dwight

3Chief
04-20-2016, 08:52 PM

My condolences

Ericb445
04-20-2016, 09:52 PM

Damn
Sorry to hear about your friend.

CopperMike
04-20-2016, 10:54 PM
R.I.P. Hope to meet you on the other side. Enjoy your ride!