PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY, a multi-day ride

RickJ
09-24-2015, 07:36 AM
Well, I wanted to go on Rickw's covered bridge ride, till I found out my wife had other plans for me that weekend! But I managed to take three days and get my first longish ride this week. Cooperstown up to and around the Thousand Island area, Canada and home through Adirondack Park, about 600 miles. I rode from home to Cape Vincent, just at the end of Lake Ontario, to Clayton (Great Antique Boat Museum there). The innkeeper where I spent the night suggested the ferry from Cape Vincent to Canada so next AM I went BACK to Cape Vincent, across to Kingston Ontario, (next time I'd explore the city more) Saw their Military Academy, Fort Henry, Army Communications Museum then on to Gananoque for lunch, then to Preston (HORRIBLE steel deck bridge) back to the states (Cigar purchase at duty-free). My complaint about Canada, as pretty as it is, is I couldn't get comfortable with their speed limit...too slow, and an uncomfortable pace- even adding a few KPM's and keeping up with traffic.

Back in the states, I went to Ogdensburg and the Fredric Remington Museum- great collection. From there to Messina NY. Stayed at the Quality inn clean, cheap and a $10 dinner that was actually good!. Next was a longer ride, which I wanted to do. Rode from Messina, to Malone (where they caught those escaped convicts recently) Down through the Adirondack park on route 30 to long Lake, on to route 10 (I think it was there) to Canajoharie through Sharon springs to route 20 home down Lake Otsego (as pretty as any Adirondack lake...just "different" somehow!

I got 44 mpg on my first tank- quite a surprise- and the bike performed flawlessly. A good shakedown cruise for me- next time fewer clother- good riding gear obviated the need for a lot of underclothing- and NO shorts...it's cold in thousand islands and Fall in ADK!

Steve 0080
09-24-2015, 08:39 AM
Get all the riding you can...ole man winter is coming....:icon_frown:

Old Ryder
09-24-2015, 01:23 PM
Get all the riding you can...ole man winter is coming....:icon_frown:

Says the man who lives in middle Florida! :icon_mrgreen:You guys riding down there make me sick! :icon_mrgreen: You may have to turn on the heated grips in January. :jerkit:

valkmc
09-24-2015, 02:23 PM
Well, I wanted to go on Rickw's covered bridge ride, till I found out my wife had other plans for me that weekend! But I managed to take three days and get my first longish ride this week. Cooperstown up to and around the Thousand Island area, Canada and home through Adirondack Park, about 600 miles. I rode from home to Cape Vincent, just at the end of Lake Ontario, to Clayton (Great Antique Boat Museum there). The innkeeper where I spent the night suggested the ferry from Cape Vincent to Canada so next AM I went BACK to Cape Vincent, across to Kingston Ontario, (next time I'd explore the city more) Saw their Military Academy, Fort Henry, Army Communications Museum then on to Gananoque for lunch, then to Preston (HORRIBLE steel deck bridge) back to the states (Cigar purchase at duty-free). My complaint about Canada, as pretty as it is, is I couldn't get comfortable with their speed limit...too slow, and an uncomfortable pace- even adding a few KPM's and keeping up with traffic.

Back in the states, I went to Ogdensburg and the Fredric Remington Museum- great collection. From there to Messina NY. Stayed at the Quality inn clean, cheap and a $10 dinner that was actually good!. Next was a longer ride, which I wanted to do. Rode from Messina, to Malone (where they caught those escaped convicts recently) Down through the Adirondack park on route 30 to long Lake, on to route 10 (I think it was there) to Canajoharie through Sharon springs to route 20 home down Lake Otsego (as pretty as any Adirondack lake...just "different" somehow!

I got 44 mpg on my first tank- quite a surprise- and the bike performed flawlessly. A good shakedown cruise for me- next time fewer clother- good riding gear obviated the need for a lot of underclothing- and NO shorts...it's cold in thousand islands and Fall in ADK!

I envy you!! I grew up in Mexico NY and rode many of those roads in the late 70's, first on my Honda 400 SS and then on my CB750F. Carried a tent on the back seat and slept where ever. Great memories!

RickJ
09-24-2015, 06:13 PM
I envy you!! I grew up in Mexico NY and rode many of those roads in the late 70's, first on my Honda 400 SS and then on my CB750F. Carried a tent on the back seat and slept where ever. Great memories!

I had never been on the far end of route 30 nice. NY has some amazing roads. Anytime you want a trip down memory lane for real, I'll meet ya! BTW the leaves are falling!
Mexico, Florida, Peru...all in NYS

valkmc
09-24-2015, 07:24 PM
I had never been on the far end of route 30 nice. NY has some amazing roads. Anytime you want a trip down memory lane for real, I'll meet ya! BTW the leaves are falling!
Mexico, Florida, Peru...all in NYS

Made it up there this summer and probably will next year. One of the benefits of being a school teacher. If II make it I will look you up.

Rudy
09-24-2015, 07:58 PM
I have driven through the Adirondacks several times on the bike and it is beautiful riding there. One of the best rides my buddy and I did was from Americade at Lake George, to Lake Placid, up to Edwards, across to thousand islands and back down to Pa. Don't tell anyone but upstate New York is a hidden gem for riding. :shhh::shhh: :icon_biggrin:

RickJ
09-24-2015, 08:19 PM
Made it up there this summer and probably will next year. One of the benefits of being a school teacher. If II make it I will look you up.

Sounds good. Any time...one of the benefits of being retired!

2bikemike
09-25-2015, 12:46 PM
Sounds good. Any time...one of the benefits of being retired!

You certainly hit most of the highlites of the area. Its my backyard so to speak. Would have loved to run some miles with you. Although you have some excellent roads down your way too. Anytime you or anyone from the forum are thinking about coming this way look me up. I have a fairly flexible schedule

taxfree4
09-25-2015, 04:58 PM
Says the man who lives in middle Florida! :icon_mrgreen:You guys riding down there make me sick! :icon_mrgreen: You may have to turn on the heated grips in January. :jerkit:

Now that's some funny stuff. My mom lives in FL. if it hits 50 degrees they start running out for milk and bread.