PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Jacking?

Pseudo-Fed
09-25-2015, 02:02 PM
I'm feeling what I think is shaft jacking. Seems to only happen in 5th gear. Feel a definite clunk under pegs--especially right peg--as I'm on and off throttle and even seems to occur as I go over ups and downs in road.

Is this normal? How much do you detect if it is common?

Thanks.

Steve 0080
09-25-2015, 02:57 PM
You are the first for that..... check rear end fluid...do a search!

Pseudo-Fed
09-25-2015, 08:49 PM
You are the first for that..... check rear end fluid...do a search!

Final drive oil good per dealer check and me personally when I got it home.

Searched here and Google for Shaft Jacking. Thought I saw it mentioned in a review somewhere as "some" shaft jacking but not bad, but couldn't find it again. Hence my post here.

Steve 0080
09-25-2015, 09:53 PM
Nope your the first..... now bare in mind, this rear end has been out for years and you can buy one ,( not at a Honda shop ) for $100... just ride it till it breaks, if it ever does ....

DMAGOLDRDR
09-26-2015, 07:21 AM
The term "shaft jacking" is what happens to the rear of the bike under acceleration. As power is put to the rear wheel the drive shaft twists which in turn lifts the rear of the bike....
I believe what you are referring to is "shaft lash" ... that is the play in the drive line. The play or "lash" is felt as you roll on and off the throttle. If you have a center stand, put the bike up on it and put the transmission in gear. Then turn the tire back and forth... That play is the drive line lash. From the Engine, through each gear in the transmission to the splined drive shaft yoke, to the ring and pinion gear in the rear diff. There will always be some "play".

Phantom
09-26-2015, 10:34 AM
I believe what you are referring to is "shaft lash" ... that is the play in the drive line. The play or "lash" is felt as you roll on and off the throttle. There will always be some "play".

This is correct, some play is normal.

As the mileage goes up so does the wear on your drive shaft splines, Some owners pull the entire drive swing arm off (very easy) when replacing their rear tires and inspect - lubricate their splines every 20,000 miles. Sometimes moisture gets in the swing arm and in due time rust may occur where greased is no longer present causing premature wear and very obvious "Shaft Lash"

If you ride HARD and often in the rain you might get 50,000 - 90,000 miles otherwise you may get 150,000 - 180,000 miles

see photos with wear ....

Pseudo-Fed
09-26-2015, 08:39 PM
Cool guys. Thanks. I think I eliminated or significantly reduced what I was feeling. I wanted to check the rear preload anyway, so pulled off the right side cover. Of course stock position was all the way out. I tightened it 14 clicks or so. While I can still feel throttle on/off, particularly at lower RPMs in 5th, it seemed to take care of the tap, or clunk I was feeling. I don't know if the suspension adjustment had anything to do with it, but from your explanation, maybe it did.