PDA

View Full Version : Indian

NitroGoose
09-26-2015, 08:28 PM
Down at BBB, & test rode an Indian Chieftain today. Test rode the Scout last year, and was seriously considering buying one, but the size, small tank and first-year issues kept me from pulling the trigger. Although, I really liked the engine on the Scout.

My experience today was not what I was expecting. The Chieftain had some nice bells & whistles, and I dig the look, but the love ended there. After returning from the ride, I wasn't particularly impressed with the engine. It felt & rode like your typical v-twin, except it had less torque in my butt dyno than I would have expected. The front end & electric windshield rattled like it was falling apart at every bump in the road. There was an unnearving dead zone on the bottom side of the throttle that had me thinking I was going to stall each time I started out in first. Also, the tranny had the Honda 1st to 2nd clunk... but the Indian had it in EVERY gear. I suppose some of this could be attributed to it being a demo bike, but I was hoping for more from a bike that starts at over 24K. I don't mean to bag on the Indian. It wasn't all bad. Just didn't seem very refined for the price.

Maybe I've just been spoiled by my Honda. To each his own, but for me right now I don't know that there's another bike that does the total package as well as the F6B.

Injun Joe
09-26-2015, 08:38 PM
Down at BBB, & test rode an Indian Chieftain today. Test rode the Scout last year, and was seriously considering buying one, but the size, small tank and first-year issues kept me from pulling the trigger. Although, I really liked the engine on the Scout.

My experience today was not what I was expecting. The Chieftain had some nice bells & whistles, and I dig the look, but the love ended there. After returning from the ride, I wasn't particularly impressed with the engine. It felt & rode like your typical v-twin, except it had less torque in my butt dyno than I would have expected. The front end & electric windshield rattled like it was falling apart at every bump in the road. There was an unnearving dead zone on the bottom side of the throttle that had me thinking I was going to stall each time I started out in first. Also, the tranny had the Honda 1st to 2nd clunk... but the Indian had it in EVERY gear. I suppose some of this could be attributed to it being a demo bike, but I was hoping for more from a bike that starts at over 24K. I don't mean to bag on the Indian. It wasn't all bad. Just didn't seem very refined for the price.

Maybe I've just been spoiled by my Honda. To each his own, but for me right now I don't know that there's another bike that does the total package as well as the F6B.

I could dispute almost everything you say except the windshield and the torque parts. I like the Heritage so what you say is non-applicable. Torque is lacking compared to other big twins I've ridden but the trade off is it's much smoother. (Than twins.) My experience of the transmission was polar opposite of yours. Smoother than our 6 by far and better spaced.

waynerock66
09-26-2015, 09:18 PM
Nitro, one of my son's and I went to demo days at the Indian dealership in Concord, NC last fall. He ended up with a Scout this spring. What a fun bike! I rode the same bike that you did and have to agree with your assessment 110%. I will admit that I've never been a V twin guy so was hoping I would find out what all the hupla is about owning a V twin. Disappointment is a severe understatement!!!!!! The off idle "stumble" and the the whole front end sounding like it was going to fall apart before the we got back was what I remember most. Thought it was just me or the demo bike I had but apparently not.

CheckpointChcky
02-27-2016, 10:22 PM
My 45 minute test ride this past summer had me exhausted. I really had to "drive" it as the front end seemed real heavy to me all the while I was driving it. Killed my desire for the Vintage right then.

Old Ryder
02-28-2016, 12:40 PM
The Vintage and Cheiftan have different rake and I agree. The Vintage has very heavy bars. The lag is the "drive by wire" throttle linkage. I noticed it right away as there is a delay in response. Personally, I like the new Indians, but not their price point. For the most part, they can be best described as a Victory with a torquey pushrod engine and lots of Indian bling. To each his own. :yes: