PDA

View Full Version : I knew it was too good to last.

Random one
09-28-2015, 07:41 AM
i have been a rider since 1963 and have had my share of skinned knees and got hit once head on in 1985. Saturday 9/26/2015 I dumped my brand new F6B on the streets of Louisville, KY. Some S@# of a B)@$% left the fuel cap off of his Diesel Powered truck and dumped about 2 gallons of fuel on the road way. There was no visible clue to the spill.
The back wheel shot out from under me as I was making a slow speed right hand turn.(Less than 5 MPH) I did not even have time to lift my foot up from making a full stop at the red light. As the back wheel started to go out from under me I forced my right foot down to try to catch the bike. Bad mistake on my part. The bike scissored my leg to the black top and broke both the tibia and fibia. And for good measure it also dislocated my ankle.

The bike only has a few scratches on the crash bars. They performed as designed. The bike only slid about 5 feet.

This afternoon I'm going to the Dr. this to schedule surgery to repair the breaks. I was amazed that they set my ankle and put a splint on my leg and let me go home.
I am suffering some pain, Bless the designer of Oxycodone Hydrochloride!!!
This is not a request for money, I am well insured both on the bike and health insurance.

I was going to the Tail of the Dragon for my birthday next month and with any luck I'll still make it with out any cast on my leg.
Prayers are welcomed.:icon_doh:

Wing'n it
09-28-2015, 07:47 AM
At any higher speed that could have been way worse. Diesel spills are the worst as that oil blends right in and takes forever to evap away. I flopped a bike over at a gas station once putting my foot down in diesel and slipped, not fun. Get well soon............

BigAl1952
09-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Man that sucks and could happen to any of us. Doesn't matter how cautious you are sometimes when someone else is carless and doesn't have there head in the real world. Hope you heal quickly and are able to make the dragon. I want to do that to one day. Al

Hornblower
09-28-2015, 07:50 AM
Sorry to hear of your "mishap", Random! Praying for your speedy and complete recovery.

willtill
09-28-2015, 07:55 AM
Man... that's unfortunate indeed. I hope you quickly mend well.

Diesel fuel on the roadway can be just like black ice. :shock:

Entrances/exits to/from gas stations can be dangerous too; just as what you've experienced; with diesel spills. Always be wary of gas stations just for that.

GHOSTRACER
09-28-2015, 08:06 AM
Mend quickly and properly, don't push it.

stroguy
09-28-2015, 08:43 AM
Wowsers and sorry to hear this mess. It is hard to break that want to drop a foot to the ground and correct the falling angle but this is another example for all. If it's going to fall, keep those feetses on the pegs. I stress it to my wife, that if we go down your best defense is to keep your feet planted on the boards and let the crash bars protect you. Trying to catch 900 pounds of inertia at 5 MPH or any speed doesn't compute for the human leg. It aintnot gonna happen.

Sorry again and enjoy the drugs.

CopperMike
09-28-2015, 09:32 AM
Sorry to hear. Hope you mend quickly. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

shooter
09-28-2015, 09:53 AM
Sorry buddy. Hate to hear it. Just one more thing to watch for. Hope you heal quickly and the pain diminishes soon.

richw56
09-28-2015, 09:55 AM
That's a crappy break.
Prayers sent, hope you heal up well, and quickly!

wjduke
09-28-2015, 10:27 AM
Well, it could have been worse, right? Just heal up the best you can and the rest will take care of itself. I'm sort of in the same boat after getting hit by a car last year.

Jimmytee
09-28-2015, 01:47 PM
i have been a rider since 1963 and have had my share of skinned knees and got hit once head on in 1985. Saturday 9/26/2015 I dumped my brand new F6B on the streets of Louisville, KY. Some S@# of a B)@$% left the fuel cap off of his Diesel Powered truck and dumped about 2 gallons of fuel on the road way. There was no visible clue to the spill.
The back wheel shot out from under me as I was making a slow speed right hand turn.(Less than 5 MPH) I did not even have time to lift my foot up from making a full stop at the red light. As the back wheel started to go out from under me I forced my right foot down to try to catch the bike. Bad mistake on my part. The bike scissored my leg to the black top and broke both the tibia and fibia. And for good measure it also dislocated my ankle.

The bike only has a few scratches on the crash bars. They performed as designed. The bike only slid about 5 feet.

This afternoon I'm going to the Dr. this to schedule surgery to repair the breaks. I was amazed that they set my ankle and put a splint on my leg and let me go home.
I am suffering some pain, Bless the designer of Oxycodone Hydrochloride!!!
This is not a request for money, I am well insured both on the bike and health insurance.

I was going to the Tail of the Dragon for my birthday next month and with any luck I'll still make it with out any cast on my leg.
Prayers are welcomed.:icon_doh:
Sorry about your situation. When I was 17, I was going around a very sharp turn up in Indy near the track. It's a turn I had beenon many times when all of a sudden the bike (1981 Silverwing Interstate) slammed to the road and slid 15 feet on the saddlebags. Not one scratch on the bags. The road is right atthe entrance to a Marathon oil depot. I started my senior year in high school in a knee brace and on crutches.

BTW, I'm down in Elizabethtown.

WingThing
09-28-2015, 02:33 PM
Wishing you well and a speedy recovery my good Sir...

edgeman55
09-28-2015, 02:42 PM
Hope you mend fast and glad you can be here to talk about what happened.I hit a flow of coolant from a truck that blew a lower radiator hose in the 80's and went down at around 25 mph.Happened so fast I just hung on and was lucky to keep my legs tucked in so the crash bars on my 1200 Goldwing did there job.Walked away with POOP in my pants but otherwise fine.

Old Ryder
09-28-2015, 02:56 PM
It could happen to any of us and is no reflection on your riding skills AT ALL. Something similar happened to me 2 years ago with the wife on the back. I did not fall but while pulling up to a stop sign I put my left foot down in a diesel spill and my feet shot out and I was left balancing my bike with the wife not knowing what was happening. I was able to get both feet planted and recovered quickly, but it could have been ugly with her on the back and we were not even moving. Recover quickly my friend.

Bweiner10
09-28-2015, 04:15 PM
Sorry to hear. Glad that you will recover though and nothing more serious happened.

unsub
09-28-2015, 04:30 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery as well. It hurt me just reading your account.

Now the buzz kill - manage your use of pain medications very carefully brother.

Pap
09-28-2015, 04:59 PM
Praying for your quick/full recovery. Rest well and start increasing your posts on here. remember, "any landing that you can walk away from,,, or hop,,," well I hope you still have a sense of humor. :duck:

stroguy
09-28-2015, 05:53 PM
It could happen to any of us and is no reflection on your riding skills AT ALL. Something similar happened to me 2 years ago with the wife on the back. I did not fall but while pulling up to a stop sign I put my left foot down in a diesel spill and my feet shot out and I was left balancing my bike with the wife not knowing what was happening. I was able to get both feet planted and recovered quickly, but it could have been ugly with her on the back and we were not even moving. Recover quickly my friend.

Yes, no reflection on riding skills at all. It's hard to win the game when Wiley Coyote is stacking the deck.

Hope you mend fast and glad you can be here to talk about what happened.I hit a flow of coolant from a truck that blew a lower radiator hose in the 80's and went down at around 25 mph.Happened so fast I just hung on and was lucky to keep my legs tucked in so the crash bars on my 1200 Goldwing did there job.Walked away with POOP in my pants but otherwise fine.

Wow!

swingfast
09-28-2015, 06:27 PM
Sorry to hear that. Praying for speedy recovery.

grendl
09-28-2015, 07:12 PM
Adding my wishes for a speedy and painless recovery. the fluids we run into can be very hazardous for us,I have had near misses so far. Jacked up a groin muscle with my Hurricane keeping her up in a gas station and my foot slid out.Wasn't moving .
Get well soon ,Sir !

wiggy
09-28-2015, 07:49 PM
Accidents suck, no matter how small. Sorry to hear about your mishap. Thanks for sharing your story so others can watch out for diesel spills as best we can.

There are just so many things out there waiting to take us out. Heal fast and heal completely. Prayers sent.

Big Jay
09-28-2015, 09:02 PM
prayers for a speedy recovery .

53driver
09-28-2015, 09:32 PM
Thanks for sharing the circumstances as a reminder to all of us.
Prayers inbound for good decisions and proper technique by the docs and if you have to go to therapy, get the HOTTEST trainer you can get - it's tougher going through rehab pain for anything less.

Brasco
09-28-2015, 09:45 PM
All best wishes for a quick recovery. And many thanks for sharing the circumstances of the incident so all on this board can learn from it. Take good care.

Random one
09-29-2015, 08:24 AM
Wishing you a speedy recovery as well. It hurt me just reading your account.

Now the buzz kill - manage your use of pain medications very carefully brother.

I am enjoying them! Carefully being sure not to addicted. Been there, Done that, Got the TAT!

Random one
09-29-2015, 08:29 AM
Sorry about your situation. When I was 17, I was going around a very sharp turn up in Indy near the track. It's a turn I had beenon many times when all of a sudden the bike (1981 Silverwing Interstate) slammed to the road and slid 15 feet on the saddlebags. Not one scratch on the bags. The road is right atthe entrance to a Marathon oil depot. I started my senior year in high school in a knee brace and on crutches.

BTW, I'm down in Elizabethtown.

Maybe we can meet up some time. Have you had any dealings with Dan Powers?
Have you been to the Tail of the Dragon?

Random one
09-29-2015, 08:45 AM
The surgeon I saw yesterday in one I have seen before in the ER. The first words out og his mouth, "We have to stop meeting like this!"

The opinion he and his partners came up with was the ankle is still too swollen and angry looking to do surgery on for at least a week.
So I go back next Monday for a exam and then maybe surgery next Tuesday.

I cannot put weight on this ankle, even after surgery for six to eight weeks. Might have to do a trike conversion.

Jimmytee
09-29-2015, 09:06 AM
Maybe we can meet up some time. Have you had any dealings with Dan Powers?
Have you been to the Tail of the Dragon?

Yep, definitely.

I bought my bike from Dan Powers.
It was the first F6B he sold. I live not even 2 miles from there..

I've been to the Dragon many times. Have been there 3 times this year so far and will be in the area again next month for a Fall Color Ride put on by one of the guys on the VRCC.

okiedoc
09-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.

Random one
09-29-2015, 08:44 PM
I'm getting P.M.S. in a bad way!(Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) Symptoms are the same as the female version. Mobility inside the house is painful and slow. My wife has turned into quite the inventor. She took my deathtrap of a walker and turned it into a useful and safer method of transport.
She placed a strong board across the frame and then placed a thick pad of packing material on top of that and then used duct tape to hold it all together. She says that I'm rubbing off on her. I'll snap a photo of it and post it on here. The lady is a genius in training.

Ixol Phaane
09-30-2015, 09:45 AM
So sorry to hear that, Random one.
Slippage sucks.
Give yourself a couple months and hopefully you'll be right as rain.
I carry a stainless alloy rod implant in my left tibia from an ATC mishap many years ago. it aches a little sometimes on the colder days, but surprisingly has never set off an airport security scanner.

Good to hear this wasn't worse for you or your bike.
Heal quick! :icon_biggrin:

Random one
09-30-2015, 08:29 PM
Went to the Dr. today for a M.R.I. of the ankle. Busted up worse than I suspected. The heel bone is broken clean away from the foot and the Tibia and Fibia both broken from ankle joint. Screws and plates and at least one rod are getting installed.
I'm not nervous at all. I found out that he is a fisherman and he likes to go fishing for Crappie. So do I, and we traded phone numbers of guides we use for the areas we fish. I told him I will remind him this not the time to use his fillet skills.:yikes:

stroguy
09-30-2015, 09:03 PM
Oh you found the crappie doc. Sorry.

shooter
09-30-2015, 09:23 PM
I'm getting P.M.S. in a bad way!(Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) Symptoms are the same as the female version. Mobility inside the house is painful and slow. My wife has turned into quite the inventor. She took my deathtrap of a walker and turned it into a useful and safer method of transport.
She placed a strong board across the frame and then placed a thick pad of packing material on top of that and then used duct tape to hold it all together. She says that I'm rubbing off on her. I'll snap a photo of it and post it on here. The lady is a genius in training.

Yeah , you kinda need her now. Treat her extra good. At least till you get better.cya;wcsmiley;

Random one
09-30-2015, 10:20 PM
Yeah , you kinda need her now. Treat her extra good. At least till you get better.cya;wcsmiley;

I always need this lady! Besides she is a LEO has guns and knows how to use them. Always on my best behavior too.

Random one
09-30-2015, 10:23 PM
Oh you found the crappie doc. Sorry.

It's all good!:lolup:

Madmax
10-02-2015, 02:14 PM
That totaly sucks ... Hope for the best .... Diesel on the road is like ice , Had the same thing happen to me early in the morning could not see the color difference in the road , lucky I was on a light weight bike and was able to push up and saved me and the machine .
Speedy recovery !

Random one
10-06-2015, 05:11 AM
Got my first chance to see my F6B yesterday. Other than predictable scratches on the crash bars only a very minor discoloration on the bottom of chrome.

Surgery in 4:00 hours. I'm ready for this so I can start healing and get ready to ride again!

Six to eight weeks from today the cast comes off and rehab begins.

JetBlackWing
10-07-2015, 03:16 PM
No praying here, hadn't done that since I was a very young, but it doesn't stop me from directly wishing you a rapid recovery partner. I know your anger and pain.

Random one
10-08-2015, 01:26 AM
No praying here, hadn't done that since I was a very young, but it doesn't stop me from directly wishing you a rapid recovery partner. I know your anger and pain.

Here is a cover song I did a couple months ago for your recovery (I hope it doesn't make you hurt more while listening!! but use headphone or earbuds if possible) :icon_wink:

https://youtu.be/hpY_RwU__n8

It's cool. You don't have to have the same belief system to be my friend. I refer to my self as a recovering "Something or another." Dabbled here and there read a lot about many different. Just the other day I wished for someone to be surrounded in the bright glorious white light of love and protection.

I'll be posting photos of the xrays with all of the parts and screws left over from other patients installed in my leg.grouphuggrouphug
That was better than some of the Beatles tunes after a trip through India/

Random one
10-11-2015, 08:28 PM
X-rays posted in my rocket bike album. The dislocation of the ankle is very obvious. Really weird on the ride to the E.R. knee cap pointed straight up And the big toe pointed at a right angle to the right. Going to start working on my bike next week and install my Kury LED driving lights. Even if I can't ride still want to work on it and clean it up. Should be able to hammer the point down the seat......

stroguy
10-11-2015, 08:41 PM
Can we see the pics?

Random one
10-11-2015, 10:33 PM
Can we see the pics?

It's not private and I think any body can view.

http://hondaf6b.com/album.php?albumid=270

Random one
11-27-2015, 11:50 PM
I just got a bill in from the hospital for my ankle surgery. The hardware in my right ankle cost over$10,000.00. Eight screws and one plate!

shooter
11-28-2015, 12:53 AM
At least they used the good shyt. Prolly came from NAPA instead of Auto zone.

shooter
11-28-2015, 12:55 AM
In all seriousness I hope you make a full recovery. That ankle will never be the same but at least you are still among the living. Good luck.

blackmetoc
11-28-2015, 11:27 AM
I hope the healing process is quick, painless and the rehab is even more so!

gandydancer
11-28-2015, 12:37 PM
10,000---wow---keep that healing going---prayers from TEXAS---

fxdl2051
11-28-2015, 08:46 PM
Sorry to hear that, been there too. Busted tib/fib, that never got put together right. Still wobble when I walk, hope you have a better orthopod then me. Best of luck on your recovery and watch out for those Oxy's, too much of a good thing is a bad thing.