PDA

View Full Version : Exahust recomendations

GHOSTRACER
09-28-2015, 08:20 AM
I'm sure that this has been asked before, sorry.

I'm looking to add a little "growl" to the exhaust tone of the bike. I'm not looking for anything obnoxious, just a little noise. I had earlier posted about the "Dual Siblings" brand but it was removed due to this site not supporting this brand any longer (I understand Phantom :icon_wink:).

Listening to audio clips don't really do justice to the actual tone and some reviews actually call them very deceiving. Looking for chrome or stainless steel. Any and all input on loudness, raspyness, drone, would be greatly appreciated. I've made one, expensive, mistake in the past buying a set of Hard Chrome Sideburners for my VTX. They made the bike sound like a top fuel dragster and lasted less than a week on the bike before I went to something else.

Thanks in advance and look forward to feedback.

Steve 0080
09-28-2015, 09:04 AM
Leave it alone and save some $$$$$......JMHO

shooter
09-28-2015, 09:09 AM
Buddy I'm one of the few in here that has a V&H. Nice rumble at idle and kinda like a Porshe 911 at full scream up on top. I like it and great looks also. Don't listen to Steve. He's just an old grandpa.:poke:

willtill
09-28-2015, 09:09 AM
Some of the aftermarket pipes have an unexpected drone to them. When I was at the 2015 Franklin Rally; I rode behind two bikes that have the Cobra 6 into 6 exhausts installed. While behind them; the drone from them was actually painful to my ears. :shock: And I like loud pipes.

Before you buy; try to find someone on the board or elsewhere with a set of pipes that you are contemplating... installed. So you can go listen.

Hornblower
09-28-2015, 09:16 AM
My :2cents:...First, install Torq Loopz and then decide if you want to go further. Counting the original exhaust, I'm now running my 4th set of pipes. From my experience, any louder aftermarket exhaust is going to produce noticeable drone without the Loopz. Of course, YMMV.

GHOSTRACER
09-28-2015, 10:04 AM
Buddy I'm one of the few in here that has a V&H. Nice rumble at idle and kinda like a Porshe 911 at full scream up on top. I like it and great looks also. Don't listen to Steve. He's just an old grandpa.:poke:

shooter, the V&H are toward the top of my list and agree with you on the looks. What has held me back on those are comments on how loud they are and they are pretty pricy, but you also get what you pay for.

Some of the aftermarket pipes have an unexpected drone to them. When I was at the 2015 Franklin Rally; I rode behind two bikes that have the Cobra 6 into 6 exhausts installed. While behind them; the drone from them was actually painful to my ears. :shock: And I like loud pipes.

Before you buy; try to find someone on the board or elsewhere with a set of pipes that you are contemplating... installed. So you can go listen.

willtill, I've read that these are loud, and most importantly, the looks are not my cup of tea.

My :2cents:...First, install Torq Loopz and then decide if you want to go further. Counting the original exhaust, I'm now running my 4th set of pipes. From my experience, any louder aftermarket exhaust is going to produce noticeable drone without the Loopz. Of course, YMMV.

Hornblower, how much affect do these have on the tone with a stock exhaust? This was actually in my thought process.

opas ride
09-28-2015, 10:09 AM
What about the new ones from Two Brothers??...Look nice from their video and seem to sound okay...I have no idea about the infamous "drone" which most after market pipes seem to have...My Cobras have a drone, but after two years I am used to it and the sound generally does not bother me much...If it does, I just change throttle speeds a little....Ride safe...

Fla_rider
09-28-2015, 10:15 AM
Leave it alone and save some $$$$$......JMHO

+ if it works spend your money elsewhere!

Hornblower
09-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Hornblower, how much affect do these have on the tone with a stock exhaust? This was actually in my thought process.

Loopz replace the cat and, as you may know, a cat can act like a muffler. So, when you get rid of the cat, the exhaust note and volume will change. That's why I think it makes sense to make changes like this in stages. Once you install Loopz, you can always make it louder with any number of aftermarket slip-ons.

One other note...some slip-ons have options for different baffles. That could be useful if you're one that wants to fine-tune the sound. Someone asked about the TBR pipes which happen to be what I'm running at the moment. They do not offer baffle choices so you get what you get which, btw, is fairly obnoxious (but I like it :yes:).

SierraKen
09-28-2015, 11:43 AM
I'm sure that this has been asked before, sorry.

I'm looking to add a little "growl" to the exhaust tone of the bike. I'm not looking for anything obnoxious, just a little noise. I had earlier posted about the "Dual Siblings" brand but it was removed due to this site not supporting this brand any longer (I understand Phantom :icon_wink:).

Listening to audio clips don't really do justice to the actual tone and some reviews actually call them very deceiving. Looking for chrome or stainless steel. Any and all input on loudness, raspyness, drone, would be greatly appreciated. I've made one, expensive, mistake in the past buying a set of Hard Chrome Sideburners for my VTX. They made the bike sound like a top fuel dragster and lasted less than a week on the bike before I went to something else.

Thanks in advance and look forward to feedback.

Have your heard the sound of the 2015s? I have a one month old blue 2015 and like the increased "attitude" that the exhaust has. You know it's there but not overly loud. Not sure if you can get the new pipes from Honda though. Also, they may all be black.

BIGLRY
09-28-2015, 11:48 AM
I run the black, slash cut, SS, electronically controlled Jekill and Hyde system with Torque Loopz which is quite when I want it an sounds like a Porch on steroids when I get frisky. No drone !!!
http://jekillandhyde.com/EN_US/home

BuzzzPhotos
09-28-2015, 12:03 PM
I added the black Rush with the long tips & ordered the 2.5 baffles so I could have the sound choice. They are louder & I like the sound. Bought them from Value Accessories and do not see a need for the Turque Loupes.

stepbill
09-28-2015, 12:33 PM
I added the black Rush with the long tips & ordered the 2.5 baffles so I could have the sound choice. They are louder & I like the sound. Bought them from Value Accessories and do not see a need for the Turque Loupes.

+1. Am very with my Rush pipes with 2.5 baffle!

Heavvyduty
09-28-2015, 02:16 PM
People hearing the drone, Is it with or with out a helmet on?

dickiedeals
09-28-2015, 02:29 PM
+1 Black Rush Racing Pipes 2.5 baffle, with the long Aluminum caps.............Love the sound. Don't notice any drone with a carbon fiber 1/2 shell, music turned up................................Dickie

Texas TC
09-28-2015, 03:38 PM
I have Torq Master King Snakes. Nice mellow sound and no highway drone. I installed them in June 2013 and they have held uo very well. Quality product.

opas ride
09-28-2015, 03:58 PM
People hearing the drone, Is it with or with out a helmet on?

The drone is worse with my Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 helmet with shield down..Not as bad with my open face 3/4 HJC helmet..Not hardly noticeable with no helmet, just around the block only, as I will not ride without one....So after 2 1/2 riding seasons I have determined that the drone is more noticeable depending on ones' choice of helmet and windshield...I have a Baggershield set at 19" height and Cobra pipes and I am happy with both as I am now okay with the "drone"...Might consider a little more noise next year with the TBP, but I will wait until I , hopefully, hear more feed-back....Ride safe

Hornblower
09-28-2015, 04:23 PM
Wind noise trumps drone. What do you think?

opas ride
09-28-2015, 06:47 PM
Wind noise trumps drone. What do you think?
+1 in all cases

GHOSTRACER
09-28-2015, 09:04 PM
I think I've narrowed it down to two; V&H Monster or Cobra Tri-Oval.

V&H Pro's: looks, reputation, positive reviews.
V&H Con's: price, no interchangeable baffles.

Cobra Pro's: price, looks, apparently has interchangeable baffles.
Cobra Con's: mixed reviews, most about poor chrome durability.

I don't really think that I need further input on the V&H's, but would really like some feedback on the Tri-Oval's.

LacoocheeBoy
09-28-2015, 09:16 PM
I am taking the baffles out of my stock pipes this weekend. I will report on the outcome. If it doesn't get me the sound I want I am going to get the Cobras and do what Mrs Chunky did; remove the baffles. I thought her bike was the best I have heard to date.

Steve 0080
09-28-2015, 10:41 PM
I think the trick is to get the sound passed the bags....

Heavvyduty
09-29-2015, 10:02 AM
I am taking the baffles out of my stock pipes this weekend. I will report on the outcome. If it doesn't get me the sound I want I am going to get the Cobras and do what Mrs Chunky did; remove the baffles. I thought her bike was the best I have heard to date.

Hey LacoocheeBoy, Remember us think we ran into you in Plant City one day lol1681316814

Were back in Ohio an I got my F6B.

Battoo
09-29-2015, 05:07 PM
I have a set of F6B pipes sans baffle on my 2012 wing sound s sweet Plan to do the F6B

Baytown
09-30-2015, 03:50 AM
Are the V&H Monsters lighter or heavier than OEM?
I see on their site that they advise you should also instal a fuel map modification ( black box).
Thanks for any info on this as Im keen to fit a pair.
Not sure about chrome pipes on my 15 F6B though.
Best wishes all.
Ken

GHOSTRACER
09-30-2015, 05:39 AM
Are the V&H Monsters lighter or heavier than OEM?
I see on their site that they advise you should also instal a fuel map modification ( black box).
Thanks for any info on this as Im keen to fit a pair.
Not sure about chrome pipes on my 15 F6B though.
Best wishes all.
Ken

I'm curious about this also. Remapping would be needed if there was a significant increase in airflow. From some reviews that I've read, the airflow restrictions are the same or worse than stock. Those that have V&H Monsters, have you noticed any backfire issues on deceleration? I'd really like to pull the trigger on a set, but don't want to make a expensive mistake.

shooter
09-30-2015, 06:59 AM
No backfire issues and the B will compensate for a small increase in flow. Usually in order to need fuel management you need to increase air in as well as air out. Just adding the pipes will not cause problems. According to my records I have picked up about 1 to 1.5 mpg since installing the pipes. Love the look and the sound. I don't know about the weight
I don't think much difference.

GHOSTRACER
09-30-2015, 07:34 AM
No backfire issues and the B will compensate for a small increase in flow. Usually in order to need fuel management you need to increase air in as well as air out. Just adding the pipes will not cause problems. According to my records I have picked up about 1 to 1.5 mpg since installing the pipes. Love the look and the sound. I don't know about the weight
I don't think much difference.

Thanks for the quick response shooter, I was pretty sure that there were not going to be issues, figured the FMS would be able to handle.

GHOSTRACER
09-30-2015, 09:34 AM
Pulled the trigger on the V&H Monsters this morning :icon_mrgreen: . Supposed to be on my doorstep on Friday. I'll post up my thought/impressions, post install.

Greg O
09-30-2015, 11:04 AM
I like the idea of pulling the cats off first and replacing them with torque loops. We do not have emissions testing on motorcycles Illinois. May get better sound out of stock pipes. But I do like the sound of Bassani's.

shooter
09-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Pulled the trigger on the V&H Monsters this morning :icon_mrgreen: . Supposed to be on my doorstep on Friday. I'll post up my thought/impressions, post install.

:yes:

GHOSTRACER
10-02-2015, 08:16 PM
After waiting all day, UPS arrived at 5, and by 6, they were installed. Installation was a snap, even doing it alone. Tone and sound level are EXACTLY what I was looking for and the looks are just too sexy.

Willl
10-03-2015, 10:03 AM
After waiting all day, UPS arrived at 5, and by 6, they were installed. Installation was a snap, even doing it alone. Tone and sound level are EXACTLY what I was looking for and the looks are just too sexy.

Post a couple of good pictures when you get some time :icon_cool:

GHOSTRACER
10-03-2015, 12:41 PM
Post a couple of good pictures when you get some time :icon_cool:

waynerock66
10-03-2015, 01:01 PM
I'm curious if the pipes on the 2015 would sound much different on a '13/'14? I personally don't have a problem with the stock pipes on my '13 but was thinking about looking for owners of the '15 who have changed their pipes and seeing what the stock '15 pipes would should like on mine.

shooter
10-03-2015, 01:06 PM

Way to go ghostracer. V&H makes a great product. Any body can manufacture a roundpipe. The rectangular V&H are distinctive and like you said sound great. Nicebike brother.

RuneRider66
10-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Does that Vance and Hines pipe come in black also? Nice looking bike sir.

GHOSTRACER
10-03-2015, 02:01 PM
Way to go ghostracer. V&H makes a great product. Any body can manufacture a roundpipe. The rectangular V&H are distinctive and like you said sound great. Nicebike brother. Thank You

Does that Vance and Hines pipe come in black also? Nice looking bike sir. Thank You. I've only seen them in chrome.

Willl
10-03-2015, 02:02 PM

They DO look good :icon_cool:

Battoo
10-03-2015, 04:55 PM
looks good . My plan is to pull the baffles on ours