PDA

View Full Version : Black radio knobs to glue key blanks into

Baytown
09-28-2015, 11:06 PM
Gday everyone.
After one week, Ive had enough of having to remove my key from the ignition to access my panniers.
Could you please advise who is the best retailer to purchase black radio knobs from, as well as Honda F6B keyblanks, so I can do the pannier lock mod.
Thanks in advance and best wishes all.
Ken

Fla_rider
09-29-2015, 06:52 AM
Well Baytown, not much of us Chaps in the U.S. will be useful as to where. Obvious reasons.

There are plenty of threads that do address this topic.

The low down is the black Honda Radio knob will not fit in the rear indentation. It's too big in diameter.

Here in the U.S. we get the blanks from any key place and use the 27R blank. I believe Hillman is the manufacturer.

Remember, you will cut the top some in order to fit it into a knob. Any knob will due just go find one you like at a Radio Shack if you have those down there.

In addition, there is a manufacturer that has remote control to open the panniers!

seadog
09-29-2015, 07:11 AM
Contact F6B-RICH on the forum and see if he has any knobs and keys left. If not maybe he can point you too a source to buy them. The other thread is correct, the radio knob is too big for the saddlebag lock and you will have to source out another smaller knob for that application.

Steve 0080
09-29-2015, 07:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUJ48PtQgik

Baytown
09-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the great replies Fellas ( esp FLA, I've been to Florida, loved it especially St Augustine).
I'll look here for suitable knobs but wont hold my breath. Failing that, I'll use your contact with F6B Rich.
Thank you for the video as well.
Best wishesto you up Nth.
Ken

CheesyRider
09-29-2015, 04:33 PM
the radio knob is too big for the saddlebag lock and you will have to source out another smaller knob for that application.

If you leave the key shaft a little longer, the radio knob will work in the saddlebag lock.

Greg O
09-29-2015, 08:45 PM
I used all metal blanks from Ace hardware. The one for the saddlebags have to be extra long, so when I cut the key, I cut it lengthwise parallel to the key on both sides then cut it to length. I used JB weld epoxy as the glue. I ordered the knobs from Shinhopples Honda via the interweb.

xcrider
09-29-2015, 10:12 PM
No problem of them coming out when you ride down a bumpy road, etc??

Steve 0080
09-29-2015, 10:51 PM
No problem of them coming out when you ride down a bumpy road, etc??

no..you have to turn them to lock to remove...

bob109
09-30-2015, 07:40 AM
Gday everyone.
After one week, Ive had enough of having to remove my key from the ignition to access my panniers.
Could you please advise who is the best retailer to purchase black radio knobs from, as well as Honda F6B keyblanks, so I can do the pannier lock mod.
Thanks in advance and best wishes all.
Ken

Ken

You can find a great source of knobs at your local Automotive Store or Auto Salvage Yard. What you are looking for, are in reality, the plastic cover caps for the A/C Shrader Valves (high pressure side). I used one for the saddle bag key and it works great because of the "grip feature" of the outer body. Sure makes turning the key much easier. Attaching a pic of the cap for clarity!

thatonebiker
09-30-2015, 01:06 PM
Not sure if you wanted to go through this much work but I actually took my lock apart and took all the tumblers out of it so that you can remove the key when it is unlocked i figured how many people would actually ever try to use there key to try and open them when they are locked and I have a spare bike key hidden in the trunk and all you need is something flare to gain access to you trunk in the event that you would lose a key . I take the bike to areas I do lots of hiking

Baytown
10-01-2015, 03:27 AM
Thanks fellas.
I checked the local (90km away) JayCar (electrical geeks shop) and they were useless.
I checked and found Ibanez guitar knobs, knurled, and alloy, so I will fill them with JB weld when I get keys cut.
I'll post how they work when it all arrives.
Best wishes all.
Ken