PDA

View Full Version : Seat Complaint

darcym
10-01-2015, 12:15 AM
No, not about comfort. BUT I swear to the unholy engineers that designed this hair-pulling teeth-gnashing bum support that this has got to be the most complicated seat installation I've ever seen. It's enough to make me want to scream. Whatever happened to a simple lock to pop the seat off? I've never had a motorcycle that was so complicated to get to the underneath spaces. Getting it off isn't so bad, what will make you commit hari kari is putting the damn thing back on! The first two screws are OK, not a problem, unless of course you're looking over at the other bikes where a single lock pops the seat off and you're counting a total of six screws and two heavy grab bars to get the assembly back in order. The four bolts through the hand rails are maniacally insistent on not going anywhere near their receptacles, somewhere in the black depths of under-seat hell, unseen and uncaring, spinning madly and laughing at your sweating futility. Then some plastic bit in the undercarriage is bent all out of place - probably because the seat wasn't seated right sometime in the past. Off, and on again. Nope, didn't line up the saddle bag latches right - do over, clumsy! Also, if you have to open those saddle bags while working on the bike, do it before you remove the seat, because getting the latch release to work with the grab bars off is apparently impossible. Meanwhile the bike is now clean because of the sweat that's dripped off my face all over it, and the tools, through my shirt, etc. Yes, it doesn't help that it was hotter than a Texas barbecue in my garage, even though I waited till nearly dark to tackle this minor little adjustment.

All this, just to adjust the preload on the suspension up two clicks for a little extra loading.

Engineers ... if you don't want your customers to KILL YOU ... try putting it together once or twice yourself for routine maintenance, and once for an emergency. Then, remember these wise words: keep it simple, stupid.

:banghead:

Brasco
10-01-2015, 01:15 AM
Great job on that post . . . i feel your pain. Likely will be changing out my stock seat for a Mustang perch but will probably do that over the winter. Will give me months to get it done! ;-)

ths61
10-01-2015, 01:17 AM
... All this, just to adjust the preload on the suspension up two clicks for a little extra loading. ... :banghead:

Ah, you do know you can adjust the suspension preload without taking off the seat ?

richw56
10-01-2015, 01:32 AM
Darcym -
Very entertaining post - great writing!
I almost hope I'm wrong in what I'm about to type, for fear of what you might do to yourself when you read it :icon_wink:, but...I could swear I adjusted the preload on my suspension up a couple of clicks shortly after I purchased my bike, simply by popping off a side panel and turning a dial - took all of about sixty seconds.
So I hope you're talking about some sort of suspension adjustment of which I'm not even aware!

Edit - sorry, I didn't see ths61's post before I sent mine - he and I are saying the same thing. The good news is that I'm not going crazy. The bad news is that you may have done extended battle with your seat for nothing!

dickiedeals
10-01-2015, 05:03 AM
After you take it off and on several times you learn all the do's,do not's,and little tricks so its not such a pain in the azz. The tapered point after market attachment bolts help a whole bunch. (Wing Stuff) Don't forget a dab of anti-seize.....:jerkit:...............................D ickie:icon_cool:

bob109
10-01-2015, 05:18 AM
Whenever one first removes their seat they should be prepared to "chase" the "frame seat boss threads". Having the right size metric tap on hand would be a good start. Removing the "over sprayed power coat" from the frame boss threads does wonders when reinstalling the bolt. Another trick is to leave each seat bolt loose so the seat can "float". After all bolts are inserted then torque to specs. Attaching my original post/thread on the subject/topic!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3883-Seat-Installation-Improvement

willtill
10-01-2015, 05:38 AM
Can't really add anything more; everyone whom posted has it covered. Anti-seize is definitely your friend here, And a light touch on the bolts as you make contact with the frame bosses and get each one wiggled back into proper thread engagement.

The second time I replaced my seat; was much easier; due to the fact that I had previously applied anti-seize. But don't go hog wild with it though; that chit gets all over and if you're not careful; you'll end up looking like the tin man from Oz... :icon_mrgreen:

PS: You want to experiencing something maddening on another motorcycle? Trying changing out the headlight bulbs on a Victory Vision. You'll invent new epitaphs and cuss words that never have been uttered previously by any man ...on this earthly planet... :shock:

Fla_rider
10-01-2015, 05:45 AM
Can't imagine why you would remove your seat to adjust the rear suspension? Here are the directions

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/581591/Honda-Goldwing-F6b.html?page=46

No Handle Sam
10-01-2015, 06:06 AM
No, not about comfort. BUT I swear to the unholy engineers that designed this hair-pulling teeth-gnashing bum support that this has got to be the most complicated seat installation I've ever seen. It's enough to make me want to scream. Whatever happened to a simple lock to pop the seat off? I've never had a motorcycle that was so complicated to get to the underneath spaces. Getting it off isn't so bad, what will make you commit hari kari is putting the damn thing back on! The first two screws are OK, not a problem, unless of course you're looking over at the other bikes where a single lock pops the seat off and you're counting a total of six screws and two heavy grab bars to get the assembly back in order. The four bolts through the hand rails are maniacally insistent on not going anywhere near their receptacles, somewhere in the black depths of under-seat hell, unseen and uncaring, spinning madly and laughing at your sweating futility. Then some plastic bit in the undercarriage is bent all out of place - probably because the seat wasn't seated right sometime in the past. Off, and on again. Nope, didn't line up the saddle bag latches right - do over, clumsy! Also, if you have to open those saddle bags while working on the bike, do it before you remove the seat, because getting the latch release to work with the grab bars off is apparently impossible. Meanwhile the bike is now clean because of the sweat that's dripped off my face all over it, and the tools, through my shirt, etc. Yes, it doesn't help that it was hotter than a Texas barbecue in my garage, even though I waited till nearly dark to tackle this minor little adjustment.

All this, just to adjust the preload on the suspension up two clicks for a little extra loading.

Engineers ... if you don't want your customers to KILL YOU ... try putting it together once or twice yourself for routine maintenance, and once for an emergency. Then, remember these wise words: keep it simple, stupid.

:banghead:

Great Post!!! I can't wait to hear what you have to say when you go to put that Mustang seat on. :duck:

Old Ryder
10-01-2015, 06:51 AM
Great Post!!! I can't wait to hear what you have to say when you go to put that Mustang seat on. :duck:

LOL!!!! That is the truth. With the Mustang, be sure to get the longer bolts from Rick at Value Accessories or that may be an all day project---ask how I know. :icon_redface: I don't recall this being said, but inserting a long phillips screwdriver about the same size as the holes, just to line everything up in advance, really helps a lot.

seadog
10-01-2015, 07:52 AM
Someone forgot to read their manual, Not mentioning any names of course but just popping off the side panel gets you to the suspension adjuster. Just saying! The other thing they forgot was to quiz the vast knowledge on the forum which might have save a vast amount of time and trouble for the lad.

Sorcerer
10-01-2015, 07:54 AM
It always amazes me why people will not look at and read that little book that comes with your bike. If it's missing some one some where has put it on line.
Edit: there are 10 fasteners , 4 - backrest, 6 - for the seat.

Wing'n it
10-01-2015, 08:21 AM
I only had problems with the rubber mounts sliding out of the seat so I glued them in with some silicone, could flop that seat on and off super fast then. My Ultimate seat was a real pain! I took it back off and figured out the problem, it's their front metal latch plate. It needs a shim between it and the seat pan then the seat will go forward more and the bolts drop right in.

darcym
10-01-2015, 08:27 PM
Because that plastic piece on the pan was out of place (previous owner or service) the side panel wasn't coming off without fear of breaking something. Also I was putting on an Alaska seat pad, which i didn'the mention. Plus the owners manual was locked in the side bag so couldn't refer to it. I was actually going to see what was under the seat for future reference, but was too frustrated to continue. Will look at the aforementioned guide prior to getting g my panties in a torrential wad next time. If there is a next time. Considering having the local grease jockey work on it instead.