PDA

View Full Version : Considering a '13 F6B…tomorrow...

VStarRider
10-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Greetings.

Current 2004 VStar 1100 rider. Pleased with the bike, but as middle-weight short distance cruiser, I have pushed it to its limits. I am ready for more wind protection, a stereo system, a quieter and more comfortable ride, and a smoother engine than the VTwin. I ride to work 50 times per year, 75 mile round trip, on mostly low-traffic rural roads. I often take a 500+ mile trip once per year, and several shorter cruises. I have put 5,100 miles on my Vstar this year alone.

There are some sweet deals around on leftover '13s. I know the reason is mainly that the first two model years do not have cruise. After much consideration, I believe I am okay without cruise. The only time I would use it would be on my longer trips, probably not often on my trip to work due to the nature of the roads I take. This is also the case on many trips I take locally. Rarely am I on interstates.

I have some offers on the table right now that are gonna be hard to turn down tomorrow when dealerships re-open. I have a new snowmobile on order, making this not necessarily the best time to make a deal financially, but I think I gotta do it with prices and interest rates the way they are. I'll figure out the details later.

Before I do this, is there anything I need to know before pulling the trigger? I expect to have to put a taller screen on the bike, and have already checked out a KlockWerks screen. I will also likely have the dealer install a 12 V receptacle in the weather proof storage compartment on the fairing so I can play music/Podcasts and charge my phone at the same time.

How is the maintenance schedule? How long do tires last? How is the stock seat on longer trips? I have sat on three separate machines and it seems very comfortable and the riding position seems to be a good fit for my 6'1", 225 lb frame.

I guess I am looking for as much real world information as I can before making a decision, as I have done as much research as I can on the bike, without riding or owning one (I do plan to ride one before a final decision!)

VStarRider
10-04-2015, 03:27 PM
One more thing…there is also a leftover 2014 Cross Country Tour in the area. Dealer willing to let it go cheap, but it is still about $1500 higher than the F6B as they are more expensive bikes.

The advantages the XCT offer is more storage (room for a helmet on board), bigger stock screen, better passenger accommodations, and a better set up for playing my iPhone. I also prefer the floorboards of the XCT vs. the pegs of the F6B.

The biggest thing working against the XCT - its air cooled 1700cc Vtwin motor… :icon_frown:

The Victory guys swear by them, but the twins get fatiguing after awhile, especially in traffic and I want smoothness, not vibration. I have no desire for the "raw" experience that many H-D wannabes are longing for...

willtill
10-04-2015, 03:39 PM
I had a 2011 Victory Vision. Build quality is lacking. That's why I got rid of it.

Sounds like you've done your homework on the F6B.

I went back to Honda because I got tired of wrenching on my bikes (instead of riding) and I wanted that inherent Honda reliability again. Wasn't getting it with Victory. Failed inner seal TWICE on the front drive sprocket @ 20K miles... and Victory's warranty refused to cover it.

I'm not diss'ing Victory motorcycles per say; but the Honda F6B is a better bike.

No drive belt to change out @ every 30K (Unlike Victory).
No front shock oil to change out @ every 15K (Unlike Victory)
Body panel fit is FAR SUPERIOR (Unlike Victory)
The F6B is assembled properly (Unlike Victory with crushed electrical wires under brake line clamps)
No dissimilar metal corrosion on fasteners (Unlike Victory)

You may need a new seat if you plan on keeping your buttocks planted in the saddle for longer than 3 hours at a time; with the stock Honda OEM seat. I do get butt burn after awhile. Nothing that can't be worked out. very common for OEM seats anyway.

Cons about the F6B:

1. You practically have to disassemble the bike to get to the air filter

Personally; that is all that bugs me about the F6B. Everything else is a piece of cake; regarding maintenance.

All of us (more likely you as well) do things to a bike to make it your own. There's a huge aftermarket out there for F6B parts and accessories. Many of us have gone to taller windshields, highway pegs, different seats; etc... to make it a custom fit.

Depending on the make of a helmet; a F/F helmet can actually fit in a F6B's saddlebag.

The Honda 1832cc engine is smooth and has a lot of torque. it's not geared tall. There is nothing quite like it. I thought that I would never get to the point where I would've gone to a Gold Wing derivative...but I have and I don't regret it a bit. :yes:

opas ride
10-04-2015, 04:00 PM
I had no real issues with the two Victory's I have owned..A 2008 Kingpin Tour and a 2011 Vision Tour...The Vision was perhaps, in my opinion, the best and most comfortable road/touring bike I have had...I might seriously consider another Victory, or Indian Scout down the road, as they are both lighter than the F6B and I am fast approaching 76 yrs old and may want a lighter bike ....But, for now, the F6B is a terrific ride and does everything I want it to do..Smooth, fast, handles super, great wind protection, and decent radio, etc. The stock seat is fine for most, but I switched to a lower Mustang seat as I am shorter...The stock windscreen "sucks" as most have replaced it soon after purchase..but for the money it is hard to find a bike that can compete with the F6B...I do like the new Victory Cross Roads 8-ball model with fairing and blacked out looks, but after demo riding one it does not compare in most areas to the Honda...I would not let the air-filter issue affect my decision, as it only needs to be changed, in reality, every 20/30 thousand miles depending on where you live..I have a K&N in mine and have seen several similar bikes go 30/35 with this unit...Floorboards on the Victory's are nice, but I have no issues with the pegs on the F6B....Tire wear from what I have read is decent if you keep them inflated at about 39/40 front and 40 psi rear...No other maintenance issues that require special attention...If you go with the F6B, make sure the dealer checks the rear drive fluid on delivery as some have reported low gear oil issues from the factory..I have a 2013 Deluxe and it was fine as the dealer re-checks all fluid levels at delivery...Good luck and ride safe

VStarRider
10-04-2015, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the info so far. I have already learned something; never new about the air filter. I live outside Rochester, NY, so air filters never get plugged up here except on lawnmowers. My Yammi requires a PhD from MIT to change the oil filter, which has many more maintenance intervals than the air filter. The solution I have is for someone else to do it :icon_lol:. I don't work much on my bikes, other than adding some accessories that are pretty easy to do. (I added the Memphis Shades windshield to mine).

The biggest thing for me, and what displaced the Cross Country Tour from #1 on my list a couple of months ago (came VERY close to pulling the trigger on one in August), is the engine. The Honda does not have all of the features that the CCT has, but the engine, IMO, makes up for it. What sealed the deal was when I read how the Honda fires up smoothly and engages first gear with a "click" rather than a "CLANK" like the traditional cruisers do. I like smoothness, quietness and comfort.

There is a STEAL of a deal on the table right now on '13 standard model…not sure about the other dealer who has the '13 Deluxe. Is there anything you guys can tell me about making the decision between the two models? Could be $1500+ difference depending upon how willing the dealer with the Deluxe is ...

willtill
10-04-2015, 04:22 PM
Difference between the F6B Standard and the Deluxe... the Standard does not have cruise control or a center stand (as well as grip heaters - I believe).

MisterB
10-04-2015, 04:24 PM
I too could not pass up the incredible price on the 13. I've never had CC on a bike except for a CAT O-ring on one. kinda worked.
There are a ton of windshields available, links on the F6B homepage (http://hondaf6b.com/cmps_index.php).
I found a center-stand, new pull from trike conversion, on ebay for ~$65, needed a few screws for the install.
Coming from the world of ST1300 the thought of taking the bike apart for the air filter is par for the course.
The tall windshield makes the sound system more audible, the bike is a gas to ride. It's not very sporty, but that's a positive as I try to avoid tickets.
It's stable as hell at speed and easy to move around with your feet when parking, nice and low center of gravity and low seat.
When I'm not on it all I want to do is go ride it. Trying to think of an excuse to go somewhere right now....

VStarRider
10-04-2015, 04:31 PM
Difference between the F6B Standard and the Deluxe... the Standard does not have cruise control or a center stand (as well as grip heaters - I believe).

Thanks, yeah, I know the Deluxe has some more features…but…are hand grips, a backrest, a center stand, and self-canceling turn signals worth $1000?

I see the gentleman above noted that a center stand is easy to install and often cheap to buy used.

The only things that interest me in the Deluxe package is the backrest and grip warmers. The backrest mainly for securing cargo on an aftermarket rack!

I had my heart set on a bike with cruise until about two weeks ago when a friend asked me, "well, on your current bike, how often would you use it?" Ummm…not on the way to work or home; not on the state highways and county roads I often ride; not over to my parents' house on the lake…ummm…maybe a few times on a trip I took this summer?!?

There are options for CC as well…for the rare times I use it. As mentioned, I don't often find myself on roads that are conducive to CC.

willtill
10-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Thanks, yeah, I know the Deluxe has some more features…but…are hand grips, a backrest, a center stand, and self-canceling turn signals worth $1000?

Yes. If you are prone to using them.

I went for the Deluxe model; for the hand warmers and the Center stand and cruise control. They are nice amenities and will cost you more later; if you try to install them (unless you do it yourself). Buy once, cry once.

The backrest is a plus... makes it easy to strap things down; in conjunction with the passenger grab rails (or a rack as you have mentioned - I have one as well).

I don't particularly care for the self cancelling turn signals though... sometimes they will cancel before I want them to... at speed.

Steve 0080
10-04-2015, 05:01 PM
Yes. If you are prone to using them.

I went for the Deluxe model; for the hand warmers and the Center stand and cruise control. They are nice amenities and will cost you more later; if you try to install them (unless you do it yourself). Buy once, cry once.

The backrest is a plus... makes it easy to strap things down; in conjunction with the passenger grab rails.

I don't particularly care for the self cancelling turn signals though... sometimes they will cancel before I want them to... at speed.

+2..makes resale better also

VStarRider
10-04-2015, 05:20 PM
The '13 Deluxe doesn't have cruise…unless I overlooked it. I think all the models have cruise as of the 2015 model year.

Good thoughts on resale. I have never been one to be satisfied by cutting things out just to save a few bucks, either.

Thing is, the best deal is on a Standard model; if the other dealer that has the Deluxe wants to match the deal (+$1000 to compensate for the additional cost of the model upgrade), then I will go for it.

I also found a leftover '15 Deluxe…with the color I want…and cruise…but only a $1000 rebate rather than $2500 and less likely to take a hit on their markup compared to a '13 hanging around for two+ years.

willtill
10-04-2015, 05:48 PM
Buy the bike. You're hooked. :icon_wink:

opas ride
10-04-2015, 06:05 PM
I personally would go for the Deluxe if you can..The center stand, back rest, heated grips and self-cancelling turn signals were worth it to me..If you have no need/desire for these things go for the standard and add what you want later...I did not want to mess with this extra stuff so I bought the deluxe and glad I did...JMHO...BTW, if you don't like the noisy transmission and vibes from the Victory, which is in reality very minimal, ride a HD a few times!!!.....As said earlier, go buy the F6B and you will be very happy in the long run....Just don't plan on selling/trading it soon as the retail/resale value has "tanked" from what it was in 2013....Ride safe

VStarRider
10-04-2015, 06:15 PM
I personally would go for the Deluxe if you can..The center stand, back rest, heated grips and self-cancelling turn signals were worth it to me..If you have no need/desire for these things go for the standard and add what you want later...I did not want to mess with this extra stuff so I bought the deluxe and glad I did...JMHO...BTW, if you don't like the noisy transmission and vibes from the Victory, which is in reality very minimal, ride a HD a few times!!!.....As said earlier, go buy the F6B and you will be very happy in the long run....Just don't plan on selling/trading it soon as the retail/resale value has "tanked" from what it was in 2013....Ride safe

I will ride a Victory CCT tomorrow, hopefully…

…will then try to get some seat time on an F6B before a decision is made. I will likely make the offer to the dealer, but it will be contingent on a test drive and my :yes: afterwards…

Brewdog
10-04-2015, 07:35 PM
I very recently added the F6B to my garage. It's a wonderfully powerful motorcycle that is smooth as glass. Having only ever owned Vtwins, this was truly an experience for me. I couldn't ride the F6B that I bought, so the dealer offered me a 2003 Gold Wing with 67,000 miles on the clock to ride so I could get a feel for the engine and transmission. I'm glad he did that. Even with that many miles the ride and engine were superb!! I just broke 500 miles on my F6B, so I have another 99,500 miles to go before I replace the timing belts. Then the next 100,000 clock starts again. Good luck in your shopping and ride as many as you can.

Greg O
10-04-2015, 07:40 PM
I bought a Black standard and added the center stand, and backrest. I also bought a used throttle lock which works fine, mini floor boards, highway pegs, and a taller windshield, all for under $15500.00. I am very happy with my purchase. I could have bought a 2015 deluxe for $20000.00.

opas ride
10-04-2015, 08:00 PM
I will ride a Victory CCT tomorrow, hopefully…

…will then try to get some seat time on an F6B before a decision is made. I will likely make the offer to the dealer, but it will be contingent on a test drive and my :yes: afterwards…
There is a difference between the Victory Cross Roads and the CCT...So you will, in reality, not be comparing similar bikes...The F6B and Victory CC are about the same equipment...The CCT has a huge trunk, fixed lowers, and different windshields...It is more like the Goldwing and not the F6B...In any event, buy what makes you happy as it your money.....Regards...

jm21ddd15
10-04-2015, 08:12 PM
Another good point with Honda is, almost every decent sized town or city in the country has a Honda shop. Unlike many other brands. I had looked at BMW before I got my 6, but I could only locate 3 dealers in my state of Wisconsin, and the closest was 1 1/2 hr drive. Nice to know when your on a long trip in unfamiliar territory, that you can get support if needed. :biggthumpup:

Jimmytee
10-04-2015, 08:14 PM
To some the deluxe was worth the added cost. To each their own. You can find center stands cheap. I knew I'd be looking to replace the seat anyways, so with that I got both rider and passenger back rests. As far as heated grips? I've got heated gear including gloves. As far as self canceling tun signals, well.. :icon_rolleyes:

Yeah the deluxe doesn't add cruise. 2015s all have cruise.

Ericb445
10-04-2015, 09:23 PM
If you test ride an F6B all your questions will be a mute point :icon_wink:

gmorstad
10-04-2015, 09:36 PM
Greetings.

Current 2004 VStar 1100 rider. Pleased with the bike, but as middle-weight short distance cruiser, I have pushed it to its limits. I am ready for more wind protection, a stereo system, a quieter and more comfortable ride, and a smoother engine than the VTwin. I ride to work 50 times per year, 75 mile round trip, on mostly low-traffic rural roads. I often take a 500+ mile trip once per year, and several shorter cruises. I have put 5,100 miles on my Vstar this year alone.

There are some sweet deals around on leftover '13s. I know the reason is mainly that the first two model years do not have cruise. After much consideration, I believe I am okay without cruise. The only time I would use it would be on my longer trips, probably not often on my trip to work due to the nature of the roads I take. This is also the case on many trips I take locally. Rarely am I on interstates.

I have some offers on the table right now that are gonna be hard to turn down tomorrow when dealerships re-open. I have a new snowmobile on order, making this not necessarily the best time to make a deal financially, but I think I gotta do it with prices and interest rates the way they are. I'll figure out the details later.

Before I do this, is there anything I need to know before pulling the trigger? I expect to have to put a taller screen on the bike, and have already checked out a KlockWerks screen. I will also likely have the dealer install a 12 V receptacle in the weather proof storage compartment on the fairing so I can play music/Podcasts and charge my phone at the same time.

How is the maintenance schedule? How long do tires last? How is the stock seat on longer trips? I have sat on three separate machines and it seems very comfortable and the riding position seems to be a good fit for my 6'1", 225 lb frame.

I guess I am looking for as much real world information as I can before making a decision, as I have done as much research as I can on the bike, without riding or owning one (I do plan to ride one before a final decision!)

I am the same size as you and the stock seat works well with two additions. I have a mesh pad made for me previously that adds just a little more padding and allows air to flow which helps comfort considerably. Second, I have installed Kuryakyn II pegs allowing me to stretch my legs and saving my knees. I also brace my feet against them and lift my butt off the seat while pushing the back of my butt against the slant at the back of the seat. I can stay in that position long periods. With this combination I am able to sit in four different positions and can ride all day. No need for me to try a different seat.

As far as the windshield goes, I have the Clearview 16" sport with the upward curve. I am long in the torso and find the shield too short. I am ordering an 18" F4 either this fall or in the spring hoping that will be tall enough.

Good luck

Brasco
10-04-2015, 09:48 PM
I agonized over going with a '13 or a more expensive '15 with all the bells and whistles. I bought the '13 and drove it home last Wednesday. Once it's in your garage all that doubt and back and forth on the pros and cons just melts away. A decent throttle lock will get the job done on the rare instances you require it. Spend the savings on accessories! Good luck with your decision . . . either way you go you'll have a great new ride.

Pseudo-Fed
10-05-2015, 08:03 AM
I know you're not looking at a '15, but here's my purchase price on 8/29/15 on a '15 deluxe at RPM Cycles, Dallas in case it helps:

$21,499 retail
$ 1,100 Discount
$20,399 Price
$ 500 Rebate
$ 1,000 Dealer "flex bucks" they kicked in
$18,899 net sales price--added only TTL (no freight or setup)
$20,460 OTD

You might negotiate your best deal then ask about "flex bucks" they can choose to use on whatever deals they want--limited I'm sure.

VStarRider
10-05-2015, 04:38 PM
UPDATE:

The dealer who has the Standard model F6B does not allow test drives. I guess I will have to ride one at another dealer, BUT…maybe I will just pull the trigger without riding one.

I bet you guys would give me Thumbs Up on that.
I will be test driving the Victory Cross Country Tour tomorrow afternoon.
The dealer with the '15 Deluxe was $2000 higher than I wanted to pay, so that one is off the list.

F6Dave
10-05-2015, 05:22 PM
You may have already bought the F6B, so this may be a bit late. I have nearly 24K miles on mine (barely a year old!) so I'm getting a feel for tire wear. I get about 10K out of a rear Bridgestone. I found a spare rear wheel at a dealership that does trike conversions, and it makes the rear change convenient to have a mounted tire ready to go.

I changed the first front tire too early as I was about to take a trip. The second one has about 12K miles and looks like it will last a few thousand more. BTW, the OEM Bridgestone tires are great, and also reasonably priced.

Travelor
10-05-2015, 05:32 PM
F6B and new Gold Wings DO NOT use timing belts anymore! Now chains, and no replacement. So just keep riding!!:icon_biggrin:

I very recently added the F6B to my garage. It's a wonderfully powerful motorcycle that is smooth as glass. Having only ever owned Vtwins, this was truly an experience for me. I couldn't ride the F6B that I bought, so the dealer offered me a 2003 Gold Wing with 67,000 miles on the clock to ride so I could get a feel for the engine and transmission. I'm glad he did that. Even with that many miles the ride and engine were superb!! I just broke 500 miles on my F6B, so I have another 99,500 miles to go before I replace the timing belts. Then the next 100,000 clock starts again. Good luck in your shopping and ride as many as you can.

VStarRider
10-05-2015, 06:26 PM
I know you're not looking at a '15, but here's my purchase price on 8/29/15 on a '15 deluxe at RPM Cycles, Dallas in case it helps:

$21,499 retail
$ 1,100 Discount
$20,399 Price
$ 500 Rebate
$ 1,000 Dealer "flex bucks" they kicked in
$18,899 net sales price--added only TTL (no freight or setup)
$20,460 OTD

You might negotiate your best deal then ask about "flex bucks" they can choose to use on whatever deals they want--limited I'm sure.
Here's what they offered on '15 Deluxe:

$21499 retail
-$1200 discount
$20299 price
-$1000 rebate
$19299 price
+tax, freight, reg… Sales tax 8.0%.

$21,096 out the door.

Strangely, at first, they calculated a four year warranty extension for $800 :nono:
The figure above is without the warranty.

VStarRider
10-05-2015, 06:26 PM
F6B and new Gold Wings DO NOT use timing belts anymore! Now chains, and no replacement. So just keep riding!!:icon_biggrin:

When did this begin?

VStarRider
10-05-2015, 06:29 PM
You may have already bought the F6B, so this may be a bit late. I have nearly 24K miles on mine (barely a year old!) so I'm getting a feel for tire wear. I get about 10K out of a rear Bridgestone. I found a spare rear wheel at a dealership that does trike conversions, and it makes the rear change convenient to have a mounted tire ready to go.

I changed the first front tire too early as I was about to take a trip. The second one has about 12K miles and looks like it will last a few thousand more. BTW, the OEM Bridgestone tires are great, and also reasonably priced.

Dave, thanks. Good to know. Haven't bought one yet, but close…

QUESTION FOR ALL:

Before buying this thing without ever riding one :shock:, one of the main reasons I am looking in this category is the audio system. Can you hear the damn thing at 60 mph? I like to listen to Podcasts, talk radio, and morning shows on the commute into work. On trips, I will play music from my iPhone through the auxiliary jack.

I assume a bigger windshield will help with the audio, but how easy is it to hear at highway speeds with some traffic around? Quality of audio?

willtill
10-05-2015, 06:32 PM
When did this begin?

Parts breakdown does indicate a timing chain(s) x 2 rather than a belt; for 2015 F6B's. Just looked it up on Bikebandit.com

willtill
10-05-2015, 06:33 PM
Dave, thanks. Good to know. Haven't bought one yet, but close…

QUESTION FOR ALL:

Before buying this thing without ever riding one :shock:, one of the main reasons I am looking in this category is the audio system. Can you hear the damn thing at 60 mph? I like to listen to Podcasts, talk radio, and morning shows on the commute into work. On trips, I will play music from my iPhone through the auxiliary jack.

I assume a bigger windshield will help with the audio, but how easy is it to hear at highway speeds with some traffic around? Quality of audio?

Yes. Good for me. Better when I installed the 16" Clearview Windshield. The F6B has auto volume control as well; will increase volume as you increase speed.

Travelor
10-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Started with the Gen 2 Wings (2012) and then the 2013 F6B. No more service bills to change the belts!! :clap2::clap2:

When did this begin?

ths61
10-05-2015, 06:56 PM
Yes. Good for me. Better when I installed the 16" Clearview Windshield. The F6B has auto volume control as well; will increase volume as you increase speed.

Keep the stock pipes, don't ride behind bikes with loud pipes, get a good windshield and you should be fine.

VStarRider
10-05-2015, 07:15 PM
Keep the stock pipes, don't ride behind bikes with loud pipes, get a good windshield and you should be fine.

Is the Clearview windshield the one in your pic?

ff73148
10-05-2015, 07:30 PM
I have a 2013 Deluxe. The key items are the heated grips and the center stand. Heated grips because I ride Polar Bear in the winter. The center stand is almost necessary to check and add air to your tires. It is a PIA. You need to get down on the ground to do it for the rear tire. I've purchased TPS monitors for my tires that have a bluetooth connection to my Garmin GPS. It solves the problem of checking my tires. They also have TPS monitors that with work with your smartphone. The backrest is only useful if you have a passenger. Even then most passengers feel uncomfortable because it is too low on their back. I've purchased a Corbin saddle with the backrest because my wife rides with me. I doubt if you will like the stock saddle especially on long rides. Since I don't have cruise control, it's not needed in NJ traffic, I purchased a Throttle rocker. I purchased the one with a velcro tie down so it doesn't move on the throttle grip. All and all see if you can make a deal with the dealer for the heated grips and the center stand. IMHO they are the most important. The bike is a dream to ride. I've been riding for 39 years and I've owned at least 20 bikes and the F6B is the best.

ths61
10-05-2015, 08:13 PM
Is the Clearview windshield the one in your pic?

The one in the siggy pic is a 19" Slipstreamer (S-267-19V) vented windshield and had quite a bit of buffeting in certain conditions. I did not find the vent to be very useful. It is wider than stock which is nice and is sitting in the garage collecting dust.

That shield has been replaced with a Madstad.

opas ride
10-05-2015, 08:38 PM
I have the adjustable Baggeshield set to max height and it works great for me..I don't give a "rats ass" about the music/sounds when riding as I hardly ever use the radio...Many have the Madstad shield which they claim works very good also.....Sounds like your dealer is not real anxious to sell a bike??..Many dealers do not allow test rides unless they perceive the customer to be very serious on making the purchase....Sold bikes for a while years ago and that was our policy....Good luck

jm21ddd15
10-05-2015, 08:59 PM
I have a 2013 Deluxe. The key items are the heated grips and the center stand. Heated grips because I ride Polar Bear in the winter. The center stand is almost necessary to check and add air to your tires. It is a PIA. You need to get down on the ground to do it for the rear tire. I've purchased TPS monitors for my tires that have a bluetooth connection to my Garmin GPS. It solves the problem of checking my tires. They also have TPS monitors that with work with your smartphone. The backrest is only useful if you have a passenger. Even then most passengers feel uncomfortable because it is too low on their back. I've purchased a Corbin saddle with the backrest because my wife rides with me. I doubt if you will like the stock saddle especially on long rides. Since I don't have cruise control, it's not needed in NJ traffic, I purchased a Throttle rocker. I purchased the one with a velcro tie down so it doesn't move on the throttle grip. All and all see if you can make a deal with the dealer for the heated grips and the center stand. IMHO they are the most important. The bike is a dream to ride. I've been riding for 39 years and I've owned at least 20 bikes and the F6B is the best.

Just a bit of good ole ribbing, but I'm not sure about the comment about riding "polar bear" in New Jersey. Come up north a bit, and check out the winters. Heated grips on my 6 don't do well in snow, ice, and salt. Just kidding. :icon_lol:

willtill
10-06-2015, 06:13 AM
Just a bit of good ole ribbing, but I'm not sure about the comment about riding "polar bear" in New Jersey. Come up north a bit, and check out the winters. Heated grips on my 6 don't do well in snow, ice, and salt. Just kidding. :icon_lol:

Especially the salt. When that chit goes down on the roads; my bike goes up for the winter.

Pseudo-Fed
10-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Here's what they offered on '15 Deluxe:

$21499 retail
-$1200 discount
$20299 price
-$1000 rebate
$19299 price
+tax, freight, reg… Sales tax 8.0%.

$21,096 out the door.

Strangely, at first, they calculated a four year warranty extension for $800 :nono:
The figure above is without the warranty.

That's pretty good. Double check the rebate. As of end of August it was 500, 1000, 1500 on the 15s, 14s, 13s, respectively. They may be talking about their flex bucks, in which case you're still owed the rebate. Also, seems like freight is the real difference. I have not paid freight or setup on a new bike, and I've had 11 of them since I started riding in 2008. Of course the DFW market may differ.

I have also not purchased a bike before a test ride--and have had to assure the dealer I am buying a bike that day--from them or whoever lets me take a ride. I would let them pull your credit or hand them $500 deposit for a ride, to be refunded if no damage or applied to purchase.

Oh, and get the blue if you get '15. It's purdy.

Greg O
10-06-2015, 10:16 AM
I bought mine with out a test ride. I was on this forum for 2 weeks before my purchase, and after reading all the positive reviews and just sitting on the bike, I felt confident in my purchase. If you buy a 2015 get the deluxe and the Blue. I came from riding large Harley's for nearly 20 years and I don't regret for one minute buying this Honda.

F6Dave
10-06-2015, 11:53 AM
When I bought mine last year I wanted a Deluxe, but all my dealer had were Standards. So he offered to take the $1,000 in Bonus Bucks and make a Standard into a 3/4 Deluxe. He installed the Honda backrest, heated grips, and center stand. The self-cancelling signals weren't available as accessories, so he threw in the 12 volt power socket instead.

The grips are great in climates where you ride on some cold days. And, they looked like a PITA to install so I'm glad the dealer handled that.

The center stand is nearly essential for checking tires, and handy for a lot of other stuff too. I never understood why they pointed that valve stems to the left until I changed a tire and saw that it would hit the rotor if it pointed the other way.

The backrest isn't a big deal if you ride solo, but it does include the expensive hardware needed for a luggage rack.

I don't miss the self-cancelling signals as I've had some on other bikes and they don't work very well. The Honda 12 volt socket is pricey but more useful to me.

Overall, I ended up with the bike I wanted and a very good price. It's the best motorcycle I've ever owned.

VStarRider
10-06-2015, 06:29 PM
I bought mine with out a test ride. I was on this forum for 2 weeks before my purchase, and after reading all the positive reviews and just sitting on the bike, I felt confident in my purchase. If you buy a 2015 get the deluxe and the Blue. I came from riding large Harley's for nearly 20 years and I don't regret for one minute buying this Honda.

Dave & Greg - very helpful posts, thanks.

Here is an update:

I test drove the Victory Cross Country Tour today. Beautiful bike. When I saw it outside, all washed up with 6 miles on it, I said, I am going to buy this thing.

The salesman was showing me all of the bells and whistles. When he turned the key on, I heard a loud fuel pump buzz. Pretty tacky on a $22,499 bike. I also noticed the rubber spark plug wire and boot hanging out, some flimsy looking and feeling parts, and said, well, I can look past that if depending upon how it rides and handles.

Very heavy bike, but I am used to my 600 lb V-Star. I pulled out onto the highway and started accelerating. I should have just turned around and turned back into the dealer. The vibration from the big Vtwin could be felt right through the seat, my riding pants, right into my spine. Handlebars and footboards had vibration too, like a cheap massage chair.

Also, not much power on tap. I was revving it to 3000 rpm in each gear and power only showed up after that; strange for a twin (I found out that is intentionally designed into it). It was very rough, gruff and raw sounding/feeling while riding it. I couldn't hear the damn radio…and I felt a decent amount of heat on my legs through my riding gear (I never feel heat on my Vstar, except in heavy traffic). I tuned to a talk radio station to see if I could decipher what was being said - nope. Very distorted and useless. Plus, the auto volume control had a delay…you would be up to speed then all of sudden the sound would get louder and louder. There was also a delay in the gear selector indicator. The gear I had put it in would not show up on the readout for a few seconds. Again, this is a $22,500 bike.

Talked to the Sales Mgr; he was great. Said he understood, better to ride it and find out its not for you before buying it. He told me that Victory bikes are oriented more towards the Harley buyer - who is looking for the raw, rough experience on a bike. I guess I don't get that. I want my bike to be as smooth and comfortable as possible.

One more thing - shifting was so harsh - again, intentionally designed in, the salesman said.

I immediately went to the Honda dealer, which is a few miles away. Could not convince the dealer to let me ride one, they just don't do that. Either I go find an F6B outside of town, or just take the risk and buy it without riding it. The advantage is that this dealer lets no one ride the bikes; when I get it, it will have less than 5 miles on it. :icon_mrgreen:

My decision: A 2013 black Standard; a 2015 Blue Deluxe. They are $1400 apart after accounting for having hand warmers put on the '13 Standard. Seems obvious, but I would like the black one, much to the chagrin of Greg O. :icon_biggrin:

willtill
10-06-2015, 06:34 PM

Here is an update:

I test drove the Victory Cross Country Tour today. Beautiful bike. When I saw it outside, all washed up with 6 miles on it, I said, I am going to buy this thing.

The salesman was showing me all of the bells and whistles. When he turned the key on, I heard a loud fuel pump buzz. Pretty tacky on a $22,499 bike. I also noticed the rubber spark plug wire and boot hanging out, some flimsy looking and feeling parts, and said, well, I can look past that if depending upon how it rides and handles.

I told you previously that Victory build quality sucked. If I'm lying... I'm dying. :icon_lol:

Pseudo-Fed
10-06-2015, 07:33 PM

Here is an update:

Very heavy bike, but I am used to my 600 lb V-Star. I pulled out onto the highway and started accelerating. I should have just turned around and turned back into the dealer. The vibration from the big Vtwin could be felt right through the seat, my riding pants, right into my spine. Handlebars and footboards had vibration too, like a cheap massage chair.

Also, not much power on tap. I was revving it to 3000 rpm in each gear and power only showed up after that; strange for a twin (I found out that is intentionally designed into it). It was very rough, gruff and raw sounding/feeling while riding it. I couldn't hear the damn radio…and I felt a decent amount of heat on my legs through my riding gear (I never feel heat on my Vstar, except in heavy traffic). I tuned to a talk radio station to see if I could decipher what was being said - nope. Very distorted and useless. Plus, the auto volume control had a delay…you would be up to speed then all of sudden the sound would get louder and louder. There was also a delay in the gear selector indicator. The gear I had put it in would not show up on the readout for a few seconds. Again, this is a $22,500 bike.

Talked to the Sales Mgr; he was great. Said he understood, better to ride it and find out its not for you before buying it. He told me that Victory bikes are oriented more towards the Harley buyer - who is looking for the raw, rough experience on a bike. I guess I don't get that. I want my bike to be as smooth and comfortable as possible.

One more thing - shifting was so harsh - again, intentionally designed in, the salesman said.

I immediately went to the Honda dealer, which is a few miles away. Could not convince the dealer to let me ride one, they just don't do that. Either I go find an F6B outside of town, or just take the risk and buy it without riding it. The advantage is that this dealer lets no one ride the bikes; when I get it, it will have less than 5 miles on it. :icon_mrgreen:

My decision: A 2013 black Standard; a 2015 Blue Deluxe. They are $1400 apart after accounting for having hand warmers put on the '13 Standard. Seems obvious, but I would like the black one, much to the chagrin of Greg O. :icon_biggrin:

Get the '15. Better resale. Cruise.

F6Dave
10-06-2015, 08:31 PM
I'd really have to hate blue a lot to choose the 2103 over the 2015 for that little difference in price. In addition to being a Deluxe it also has more durable paint from what I've heard. I've been able to keep my 2013 looking great, but it's taken some effort.

JackB
10-06-2015, 09:53 PM
I love my 13 black but for $1400 more I would buy the 2015.

opas ride
10-06-2015, 10:13 PM
Buy what you want, but remember if you buy the leftover 2013, it is already a 3 year old bike.....GoodLuck

veteran69
10-07-2015, 11:38 AM
I bought a 2013 F6B Deluxe last Wednesday and took it out for a 300-mile ride on Saturday with a local group who owns/rides every kind of bike you can think of. The F6B is a HUGE difference from my 2012 HD Road King, which I still have. While the Road King belongs to the HD touring family, it rides nothing compared to the F6B. I have a bad back so when I would take the Road King on a 300-mile ride it literally took me 3 days to recuperate, which is why I bought the F6B! I now have zero issues after a long day's ride with the F6B!

In addition the 300-mile ride I took the F6B on was a brisk morning of about 60 degrees. I wore a full face helmet, medium weighted motorcycle jacket, and medium thick gloves (not winter gloves). I jumped on the highway, quickly reached 80 mph, and was surprisingly warm. The fairing kept my legs out of the wind and my hands were so warm from the heated grips that I had to turn it down to '1'. During the ride all of the HD, Indian, and other Honda and Yamaha riders who didn't have a comparable setup as the F6B were very cold, and they were bundled up. It was hilarious.

Side note: when I showed up with the F6B the riding group freaked out. We stopped about every hour and they just kept looking it over...they couldn't get enough of it. I've owned 3 Harley's (Deuce, Heritage, Road King) and while they were beautiful bikes none of them got compliments I've gotten with the F6B.

Bottom line: I've been riding street bikes since 1986 and the F6B is the best I've ever had--period.

Good luck!

JetBlackWing
10-07-2015, 02:14 PM
Ok, as far as the differences, I feel I still need a passenger Backrest, and Cruise would be nice. Also a little higher windshield...and we are off to into the wind! 'gw-smiley'

opas ride
10-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Stopped for lunch today at a DQ..Parked next to a new HD Road Glide Utltra...Rider of the HD looked at my bike, said nice bike but it is still a Jap bike and I don't ride Jap bikes....Does not have a clue what he is missing!!!!

VStarRider
10-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Well, I did it. I purchased an F6B.

I was ready to buy the 2015 blue Deluxe model, with cruise and all of the goodies. Got approved for the loan and called the dealer to say, "I'll take it!". I left a voicemail, and he called me back saying that his price did not include tax, freight, etc. Therefore, the final price was going to be $3100 higher than the leftover '13 Standard, not $1400… :yikes:

I said a swear word, then said the deal (see below) is too good to pass up, and while I hate sacrificing what I want in this price range, the difference between this dealer and the others, as well as between the models, is too much to pass up.

So, I ended up with the 2013 black Standard model. It is the color I preferred…but I hope I don't kick myself for sacrificing the cruise. If it was $1000 difference, I would have gone for the 2015. Not $3100, though.

Here's the breakdown of the deal:

MSRP $19,999
discount - 2500
rebate - 2500

Final cost: $14,999
Tax: $1200
Heated grips: $280
12 V access.: $80
Miscellaneous: $130

TOTAL $16,689

No charge on the labor to install the grip heaters and 12 V cell phone charger (to be placed in the weather proof compartment). Also, he did not charge for freight or setup.

So, I didn't get exactly what I wanted, but saved several thousand dollars in the process.

Now, I have to get a windshield! I am dragging my wife with me to the dealer tomorrow to take some measurements.

Greg O
10-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Congratulations, for around $1000.00 you can get a true cruise control not including installation. I can almost guarantee you will not regret your purchase. Enjoy and ride safe.

ths61
10-07-2015, 09:38 PM
Congrats on your new scoot, you will enjoy it.

Too bad dealers don't list the true OTD (Out The Door price including TTL). Used car salesman games should be a thing of the past.

Steve 0080
10-08-2015, 08:11 AM
Congrats on your new scoot, you will enjoy it.

Too bad dealers don't list the true OTD (Out The Door price including TTL). Used car salesman games should be a thing of the past.

I think the reason would be taxes and the like...here in FLA taxes vary by county! When I am shopping the only figure I watch is the "difference" that being the amount of money I need to come up with. I really dislike vehicle shopping, but the trick is to know as much as the dealer. You can ask your bank what you should pay...they KNOW the answer !!!

opas ride
10-08-2015, 12:22 PM
This pricing topic has been "beaten to death"...It is like oil threads, etc....Every state has different taxes, fees, costs, etc., etc...If you, the buyer are happy with the price of your deal, nobody else really cares ...Posting what one paid for a bike is like comparing apples with oranges!!!....Someone, somewhere, will always claim they got a better deal at "JoeBlow" bike shop.....it never ends....Just ride your new F6B and enjoy the moment......JMHO!!