PDA

View Full Version : Helmet protective skin?

zeus661
10-06-2015, 06:36 PM
Just purchased a new half helmet. I would like to put some kind of skin on it to help protect it. In the past my helmets get scratched and nicked, sometimes from putting in and out of the saddle bag. Does anyone know of any kind of protective skin I can stick on? Would prefer something clear.

JGF6B
10-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Would that be foreskin?

willtill
10-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Just purchased a new half helmet. I would like to put some kind of skin on it to help protect it. In the past my helmets get scratched and nicked, sometimes from putting in and out of the saddle bag. Does anyone know of any kind of protective skin I can stick on? Would prefer something clear.

Hit the helmet with some Plasti-Dip rubber spray paint. Lot's of colors. And easy to remove if you want to change colors.

To be honest though... a motorcycle helmet is a wear item. Not going to last forever.

Take care of it. Don't drop it. Treat that helmet; as if it was your bare head. It'll last longer in appearance if you do so....

willtill
10-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Would that be foreskin?

No... that would be a condom ... in that line of thinking :icon_lol:

JGF6B
10-06-2015, 06:51 PM
wax or liquid glass?

or just put it in a helmet bag. Keep the bag in the saddle bag. Takes 2 seconds to put it in/take it out.

okf6b
10-06-2015, 06:58 PM
How about a helmet bag?

JGF6B
10-06-2015, 07:00 PM
yep, okf6b beat my edit. A bag is a simple solution.

okf6b
10-06-2015, 07:17 PM
yep, okf6b beat my edit. A bag is a simple solution.

Great minds think alike. Plus I do best with simple. :icon_lol:

hgslayr
10-07-2015, 10:37 AM
Search "Helmet wrap" on youtube...Venture shield clear film works well with heat...Ive seen where they put the film over a barrel and heat it up and push the helmet into the film allowing a perfect fit and bonding...Good luck

Old Ryder
10-07-2015, 11:23 AM
I am not endorsing the comment because I have no proof, but I have read that due to the composite nature of many helmets, adding chemicals such as paint, plastiDip and the like could adversely affect the effectiveness of the protection it is suppose to provide. If you don't think helmets are high tech stuff--- go price an Arai :yikes:

Old Ryder
10-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Search "Helmet wrap" on youtube...Venture shield clear film works well with heat...Ive seen where they put the film over a barrel and heat it up and push the helmet into the film allowing a perfect fit and bonding...Good luck

That looks like the same covering (Mono-coat and Ultra coat) that I used to cover my model airplanes. Audio has been removed, so it is hard to tell.

seadog
10-07-2015, 09:45 PM
My HJC came with a bag so you didn't have to get it all scratched up. My big problem is it rolling off the seat. Luckily that hasn't happened to the new one, but there is always a first time.