PDA

View Full Version : Through the air with the greatest of ease...

Drive Jehu
10-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Early afternoon today I was on HY 247 leaving Warner Robins GA. A flatbed truck was stopped 50 yards ahead on the side of the road. Traffic clustered and slowed to 50 mph and I found myself following too close with one hand on the bars. The car in front of me strattled a full bag of feed and left an unavoidable object in my path. Absolutely no time to think. Next I realized I was standing dirt bike fashion gunning the 6 and pulling back hard on the bars. Just as the front tire launched good the back tire hit the bag - causing the back end to jump into the air high enough for the seat to hit my butt. It hit hard enough to send my torso over the windshield and stood the 6 on the front tire.

You know how time seems to slow wayyy down? It did. I was riding on the front tire long enough to remember thinking - dang just the front is on the ground! The back tire finally touched down and the 6 never so much as wobbled. I never moved over in my lane and was on the exact trajectory before I launched into my front tire wheelie. Traffic behind me had slowed. And I guess it all happened in a second.

I pulled down a side road for inspection. The center stand dug into the bag and had some finely ground moist (hog?) feed stuck to it. Wheels were fine, front end seemed good. Thankfully no damage to the upper or lower of the 6. I later ran interstate speeds and all was normal.

Reminder to self and friends: Basics, basics, basics. Maintain good riding habits. Live a long time. Ride far and often. Enjoy the breeze. And don't follow too closely.

Greg O
10-06-2015, 08:27 PM
It is amazing that you didn't crash or lay down the bike. Someone above was looking out for you.

stroguy
10-06-2015, 08:31 PM
SHITttakki! Glad you are unscathed. It is pretty wild how the clock slows down.

hgslayr
10-06-2015, 08:37 PM
Did you have a clean pair of skivies to change into when you pulled over...Holy cow

Drive Jehu
10-06-2015, 08:41 PM
It is amazing that you didn't crash or lay down the bike. Someone above was looking out for you.

You are right on both counts.

maxrider
10-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Way to go:yes:, good for you, and I know all about those forever seconds, just 5 weeks ago my F totaled, and seeing my F ride by itself for approx 50 ft and fall over as I was doing the tuck and roll and wondering why my F took of without me:).

Drive Jehu
10-06-2015, 08:53 PM
Way to go:yes:, good for you, and I know all about those forever seconds, just 5 weeks ago my F totaled, and seeing my F ride by itself for approx 50 ft and fall over as I was doing the tuck and roll and wondering why my F took of without me:).
Forever seconds is a good description. MAN. I'm glad to hear you are still with us!

seadog
10-06-2015, 09:11 PM
I always said the good riders started on dirt bikes, I had 4 dirt bikes before I ever bought a road bike. The dirt bikes teach you what a bike will do and what they won't do. The experience feathers right into your longevity on a road machine. That was an impressive display of doing the only thing that was going to get you thru that. It could have been a lot worse without the experience. Thank the Lord you made it thru.

Fla_rider
10-06-2015, 09:13 PM
I only wish I was the guy behind you to see it!:clap2:

roaddog
10-06-2015, 09:33 PM
First, I'm glad you survived the near radical getoff, second please tell me you had your go-pro capturing all this.

All kidding aside, stay safe and may God Bless,
Roaddog

CopperMike
10-06-2015, 10:00 PM
I only wish I was the guy behind you to see it!:clap2:

Me too! Good job keeping the rubber side down!

GaTeach
10-07-2015, 06:21 AM
Holy cow

lloydmoore1
10-07-2015, 08:04 AM
Nice driving and a bit of luck for sure. I have a 2 brother inlaws living in Warner Robins nice place. I will be spending Chistmas there again this year. Any good Honda dealers or parts depo I should visit near there???

Old Ryder
10-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Being old----you pulled down a side road for an inspection on your machine and catch your breath!

Being young---you stand on the pegs and look around to the car behind you, give the thumbs up while bobbing your head like you meant to do that.

I've done both---older is better.

BTW---grew up in Macon during the 60's. There is no hotter place during July and August!

SgtBillko
10-07-2015, 03:25 PM
Don't forget the golden rule " Power to the rear wheel !!", When it comes to debris, bird strikes and even the suicidal deer, power up boys ! Take the hit and stay on the throttle, it will almost always pull you back upright.

timjoebob
10-07-2015, 06:35 PM
You are one blessed dude. Period.

Drive Jehu
10-07-2015, 07:46 PM
I always said the good riders started on dirt bikes, I had 4 dirt bikes before I ever bought a road bike. The dirt bikes teach you what a bike will do and what they won't do. The experience feathers right into your longevity on a road machine. That was an impressive display of doing the only thing that was going to get you thru that. It could have been a lot worse without the experience. Thank the Lord you made it thru.

Seadog, Yes. I started on a Trail 70 long ago and still have an old KTM 2 smoke I rail on every now and then. I've now been on the street for 2 1/2 years. I'm on my third street bike during that time with 50K plus miles now. And yes, thank the Lord I made it.

Drive Jehu
10-07-2015, 08:11 PM
Nice driving and a bit of luck for sure. I have a 2 brother inlaws living in Warner Robins nice place. I will be spending Chistmas there again this year. Any good Honda dealers or parts depo I should visit near there???

lloydmoore, Try Capital Cycle in Macon. Honda, KTM, and Victory takes up most of the showroom and they usually have interesting used bikes. Brian or Matt if you want to price parts. Nice folks; that's my go to place for parts. Yamaha of Byron is nearby and worth looking at their showroom if you like Yamaha and Triumph. Also the Aviation Museum by the base is well worth the trip. And while your nearby, the BBQ at the corner of Watson Blvd and HY 247 near the main entrance to the W.R. Air Force base - the brisket is just fantastic!

Drive Jehu
10-07-2015, 08:45 PM
lloydmoore, Try Capital Cycle in Macon. Honda, KTM, and Victory takes up most of the showroom and they usually have interesting used bikes. Brian or Matt if you want to price parts. Nice folks; that's my go to place for parts. Yamaha of Byron is nearby and worth looking at their showroom if you like Yamaha and Triumph. Also the Aviation Museum by the base is well worth the trip. And while your nearby, the BBQ at the corner of Watson Blvd and HY 247 near the main entrance to the W.R. Air Force base - the brisket is just fantastic!

lloydmoore1, NOW I see you are from NB Canada! Your 6 is not likely to be in your travel plans for December? If yes then I want to come to W.R. to shake your hand. If not, PM me if you miss your nice looking blue 6. And if I'm home (spent most of last Christmas in the Fla Keys and thinking of going back) I'll bring MAN-O-WAR over to ease your blues (so to speak). He's the faster black variety of the 6 species...

lloydmoore1
10-08-2015, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the info. I will try the BBQ place for sure. I always have to tag along on a shopping trip to Macon so now I can detour to the bike shop!!! Your right the blue beast will not be making the trip with me this time but it will in July when I will be there for 3 weeks. We have a family vacation planned with my 2 brother inlaws which will include a trip to Tennessee and my better half suggested that since we are driving down that I should get a trailer and tow the bike. She was in Tennessee 2 years ago and said I will love the bike roads there in the mountains. That's one of the reasons she is my best friend! I'm looking forward to that trip for sure. I will give you a shout and maybe we can do a ride if the timing works out.

Drive Jehu
10-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the info. I will try the BBQ place for sure. I always have to tag along on a shopping trip to Macon so now I can detour to the bike shop!!! Your right the blue beast will not be making the trip with me this time but it will in July when I will be there for 3 weeks. We have a family vacation planned with my 2 brother inlaws which will include a trip to Tennessee and my better half suggested that since we are driving down that I should get a trailer and tow the bike. She was in Tennessee 2 years ago and said I will love the bike roads there in the mountains. That's one of the reasons she is my best friend! I'm looking forward to that trip for sure. I will give you a shout and maybe we can do a ride if the timing works out.
Sounds like a plan. What a great better half you have! If you can add to the Tenn ride, check out the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you look it up, see Cherokee N.C. for the southern end of it. It's my favorite ride. In July it will be crowded but it's still a great escape from the Middle GA heat/humidity.

unsub
10-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Traffic clustered and slowed to 50 mph and I found myself following too close with one hand on the bars. The car in front of me strattled a full bag of feed and left an unavoidable object in my path. Absolutely no time to think. And don't follow too closely.

Glad you're ok. I'd say there are a few lessons in there. Thanks for the reminder.That's why continually reinforcing good skills is so important. There generally isn't time to think. That applies across the board.

:icon_wink:

4DI2D
10-09-2015, 04:08 PM
Close, but no cigar.
I bottomed out on an irregular back road when I hit a dip that was in the shadows while riding two-up.
Anxiety strikes!
F6 smiles, shrugs it off and down the road we go.
I've never ridden another bike that I would trust to take care of me like the F6.:icon_biggrin: