PDA

View Full Version : Madstad windshield in the rain or on 12 hour days

stevenolts
10-07-2015, 09:46 AM
I have been very lucky not to have been caught in a heavy rain so far. Accept for one time when I did not have my full face helmet. With the biblical proportion rain no windshield could have helped me that day.

How does the Madstad perform in a heavy rain? (If you are prepared with a full face helmet and rain gear) I know it is great for a very light rain (I do not even get wet / even from road water splash up) Does it work in one of those 8 hours of continuous rain days on the road? Or would a more conventional windshield like my F4 Customs with vent be a better option?

I know the Madstad is my choice for around town riding in the summer. But on a 12 hour day would a more conventional windshield like my F4 Customs with vent be a better option?

I am going on (12 -14 hours) 850 miles each way trip next week to Panama City Beach for bike week.

I love my Madstad windshield but I might put my F4 Customs on for the winter. I think it may offer more wind protection, but I will have to try and see????

dickiedeals
10-07-2015, 10:04 AM
I just returned from 1190 miles of riding in the rain some of which were Biblical proportions. The 11" Madstad performed way better than expected...Most of the rain went up over my head. Only a slight mist into my face. I ride with a Carbon Fiber Half Helmet with regular Prescription Transitional Glasses. No Goggles or Face Shield. I could see where I was going and only had to slow down for the other riders with me that couldn't see where they were going. Occasionally I would raise my head into the wind stream to clear water droplets and continue riding.
It did work better at at speeds above 70 mph... When going slower there was more water in your face.
The Madstad in my Opinion worked better than any Windshield I ever used in the rain. Of course you have to play with the adjustment of the Madstad until you find the sweet spot...............Dickie

Davidk
10-07-2015, 10:15 AM
Please explain how you don't get drenched. I have the large factory windshield. As such, I look through it not over it. Got caught in a rain storm two weeks ago and was drenched to the bone. How do you not get drenched when riding in the rain??

JGF6B
10-07-2015, 11:05 AM
I have the 11" Madstad screen which is great for dry weather riding but it does not keep rain off of my face. I've though of upping to the 13" version but I can just see over the 11" when adjusted fully up. I'm 5'9", 30" inseam, and use the stock seat.
I carry a full faced helmet when there are showers in the forecast because those rain drops feel like bb's at highway speeds.

ths61
10-07-2015, 11:25 AM
The MadStad is further in front of you than the conventional large Goldwing windshields. Being such, I think this allows gravity more time to work on rain by the time it gets to your head. That being said, I used a 15" MadStad (all the way down) in some recent East Texas downpours which were close to white out conditions. My rain gear got wet (not me), but was protected from the majority of the downpour. With that type of rain, traffic slows down so you can't rely on speed as much. The full face helmet with seal (didn't have the pinlock insert in), rain pants, rain jacket and rain booties did their thing. The only thing that was wet was my leather gloves. The dash, GPS, speakers, etc got wet as well as water pooling between the windshield and the dash. My pack on the back seat was stuffed inside a dry bag.

When highway speeds picked up, I was able to stand on the pegs to get my full face shield up into the wind to clear it off. Also stood on the pegs to clear the pooled water out of my crotch.

One other thing to consider is buffeting. My 19" traditional tall shield has quite a bit of buffeting compared to the MadStad. Not having buffeting during a rainstorm is a good thing.

Note: I also have the National Cycle hand wings and pair of rain deflectors on the front crash bars to help keep the water off the feet.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/image_27951.jpg

F6B1911
10-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Please explain how you don't get drenched. I have the large factory windshield. As such, I look through it not over it. Got caught in a rain storm two weeks ago and was drenched to the bone. How do you not get drenched when riding in the rain??

Last week I rode from Toledo, Ohio to Madison, Ohio and back to Detroit and it rained the whole trip. It was winder than a son-of-a-gun too!
With a 15" Madstad, a full face helmet, and a rain suit, I was dry, with the exception of my feet.
Gotta do something about the boots!

stevenolts
10-07-2015, 11:33 AM
I was talking about light rain almost a mist with water on the road with no rain pants just a light rain coat. On my Harley Fatboy with water on the road I would have been soaked from road spray. On the F6b with the Madstad light rain will blow over your head. The F6B is a vast improvement over the Fatboy for rain protection. Obviously it will not stop even moderate to heavy rain or probably even the light rain for any longer than 45 minutes or so because your lap will eventualy get rain run off the jacket.
Steve

dickiedeals
10-07-2015, 03:52 PM
I just returned from 1190 miles of riding in the rain some of which were Biblical proportions. The 11" Madstad performed way better than expected...Most of the rain went up over my head. Only a slight mist into my face. I ride with a Carbon Fiber Half Helmet with regular Prescription Transitional Glasses. No Goggles or Face Shield. I could see where I was going and only had to slow down for the other riders with me that couldn't see where they were going. Occasionally I would raise my head into the wind stream to clear water droplets and continue riding.
It did work better at at speeds above 70 mph... When going slower there was more water in your face.
The Madstad in my Opinion worked better than any Windshield I ever used in the rain. Of course you have to play with the adjustment of the Madstad until you find the sweet spot...............Dickie

I look over the Madstad 3"s. Can't explain it but the up air from between the two shields drives the rain up over my head..Of course you must wear a rain suite, with Gaters and Gloves, but you stay much drier with the Madstad. Believe it or not..............Dickie

1951vbs
10-07-2015, 05:00 PM

Not sure if this is a trick question but you need to start with a full face helmet and a good rain suit. Living in sunny Florida I drive in the pouring rain just about every day but don't get wet (and I have a shorter than stock windscreen). I also experience some pretty foul weather on trips out west and all stays dry. Aerostich is your friend.

Steve 0080
10-08-2015, 08:10 AM

I think the main thing is speed! The faster you go the less rain actually comes in contact with the rider! I have the 13" Madstad, got caught in the rain about a month ago...raised the shield, pushed it out, ( read forward ) and really only had a mist hitting me...

When I say speed I am in reference to the posted limit...of course at a red light might as well bring out the soap !!! :rainyday: