PDA

View Full Version : Okay…first steps…new owner

VStarRider
10-08-2015, 08:09 PM
Alright, thanks to the help of you guys (and gals), I purchased a Gold Wing F6B. Thanks! In competition, at one time or another, over the last year, was the Gold Wing itself (big one), Cross Country, Cross Country Tour, VStar 1300, VStar 1300 Deluxe, FJR1300, VStar 950 Tourer, and maybe some others that I forgot about.

So, my first question…

I went to the dealer today and measured for a windshield. I took a level and a tape measure. I held the level off the tip of my nose and had my wife measure up to the end of the level over the fairing, straight up. Measured just about 16" with me sitting in my typical riding position (boy, that seat sure feels good).

I would like a lightly tinted (smoke) windshield that I can still see through, but will be looking over most of the time while riding.

Any suggestions?

Also, I will have a check in my hand for over $16,000 next week and I have not even heard an 1800 flat-6 run…forget ever riding one! This will be interesting.

SierraKen
10-08-2015, 08:31 PM
I tried the adjustable flip up bagger shield and still got too much noise. Went next to what I had on my old Wing. Put on a Windbender and it's been great. Take a look at the FireCreek website and then give Dayle (Quickdraw) a call to get his recommendation as to which shield and height.

shooter
10-08-2015, 08:39 PM
"Over the fairing straight up" is not a measurement. You need to look at the two methods ofmeasuring an F6B windshield and then we can advise you better.

bob109
10-08-2015, 08:40 PM
Before handing over that $16k check and worrying about the windshield your first priority is to check the gear oil in your rear differential:icon_wink:

VStarRider
10-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Before handing over that $16k check and worrying about the windshield your first priority is to check the gear oil in your rear differential:icon_wink:

Well, I hope the dealer takes care of that…but I guess it never hurts to double-check things.

As for windshield measurements, I want the top of screen to be no higher than the tip of my nose. That is why I ran a straight-edge from my nose over the stock windshield. I had my wife measure from the base of the stock windscreen (where rubber trim seals gap between shield and fairing) up to the end of the straight-edge. This measurement is 16 inches. IIRC, the stock windscreen is about 12" using that same configuration.

How about the KlockWerks 16" Flare? I would like to get the tinted model. It is expensive, but has solid reviews.

Old Ryder
10-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Madstad--- not pretty but works best.

bob109
10-08-2015, 09:30 PM
Well, I hope the dealer takes care of that…but I guess it never hurts to double-check things.

Only In God We Trust.....everything else we check, especially if its something the dealer is suppose to check:icon_wink:

F6Dave
10-08-2015, 09:38 PM

As for windshield measurements, I want the top of screen to be no higher than the tip of my nose. That is why I ran a straight-edge from my nose over the stock windshield. I had my wife measure from the base of the stock windscreen (where rubber trim seals gap between shield and fairing) up to the end of the straight-edge. This measurement is 16 inches. IIRC, the stock windscreen is about 12" using that same configuration.

How about the KlockWerks 16" Flare? I would like to get the tinted model. It is expensive, but has solid reviews.

I got a KlockWerks. It works well and looks great on the B.

bertrider
10-08-2015, 10:15 PM
I tried the adjustable flip up bagger shield and still got too much noise. Went next to what I had on my old Wing. Put on a Windbender and it's been great. Take a look at the FireCreek website and then give Dayle (Quickdraw) a call to get his recommendation as to which shield and height.

:yes:

KickArs
10-09-2015, 12:24 AM
I also own got a KlockWerks. The curved edge tested in a wind tunnel works great.... if you are not following any type of vehicule. I have the 14". The 16" is probably better.

VStarRider
10-09-2015, 05:13 AM
I also own got a KlockWerks. The curved edge tested in a wind tunnel works great.... if you are not following any type of vehicule. I have the 14". The 16" is probably better.

What is it like when you are following a vehicle?

Do you have the tinted screen, clear, or smoke?

F6bisnext
10-09-2015, 05:34 AM

Ditto. Love the function AND the look of my dark Klockwerks.

Heavvyduty
10-09-2015, 05:35 AM
Vstar.. Get a 13in Madstad an dont look back

dickiedeals
10-09-2015, 06:39 AM
Madstad 13" Dark Smoke the only way to go..But If interested in something else I'm going to have a Bagger Shield, 14" Dark Smoke Klock Werks drilled so it can be raised 4" or bolted stock, and a I believe a Clear F-4 with Vent I'll have to measure, that came on it from the dealer. Having photo upload issues with my computer at the moment.............Dickie

lloydmoore1
10-09-2015, 07:44 AM
Madstad 13" will be your answer.

I have had the Honda tall with vent and it measures 17" I believe but I had to really stretch to look over and the air flow on a warm day was not good. I also found on a windy day I was being pushed around a bit.

I now have the madstad 13 light tint and run it in the lowest position and it works really good. There are so many adjustments you can do so quickly to adjust the airflow that makes this the best choice.

Good luck in your search

opas ride
10-09-2015, 09:54 AM
Madstad--- not pretty but works best.

Not sure that is an accurate statement. What works best is the one your happy with...Baggershield in my case...Ride safe

Bob Penn
10-09-2015, 11:25 AM
I just had the dealer install a standard Honda Tall 08R70-MJG-670 with vent. They are less than $180.
At 5'8" I can ride 85 mph down the interstate with a baseball cap on without any fear of having to turn around to pick it up. I look over the windshield and enjoy a pleasant breeze. Unless of course I'm behind a poultry truck.
The good part is I negotiated the price into the deal.
Remember If you change your seat your going to change your height in relation to the wind screen. I installed a Mustang that lowered me 2".

Battoo
10-09-2015, 11:39 AM
My rider is 5ft 6 , and i am 5ft 11 we have a 14 inch Klock werks tinted flare and it is Perfect

VStarRider
10-09-2015, 12:16 PM
Hmmmm. The Radstad seems to be popular choice. 13" is recommended for 6'-6'1" riders. I am 6'1", with a 32" inseam, but often wear riding overpants that probably raise me up another 1/2" or so. Plus, I have an AirHawk R inflatable seat pad that I am not sure I will add to the Honda...but that adds another 1" minimum to my torso height. So, does that justify going to the 15"? Or is there enough adjustability in the 13" to raise it higher if needed?

I like the looks of the Klock Werks, and would get the 16" tall one. One person mentioned they are great, as long as they are not following another vehicle...which happens all the time. How does the Klock Werks respond in wind?

VStarRider
10-09-2015, 12:24 PM
Not sure that is an accurate statement. What works best is the one your happy with...Baggershield in my case...Ride safe

Just checked out the Bagger Shield. Neat idea. Is 19" too tall to see over? I don't want to look through the clear, convertible portion. I am 6'1".

lloydmoore1
10-09-2015, 12:42 PM
Hmmmm. The Radstad seems to be popular choice. 13" is recommended for 6'-6'1" riders. I am 6'1", with a 32" inseam, but often wear riding overpants that probably raise me up another 1/2" or so. Plus, I have an AirHawk R inflatable seat pad that I am not sure I will add to the Honda...but that adds another 1" minimum to my torso height. So, does that justify going to the 15"? Or is there enough adjustability in the 13" to raise it higher if needed?

I like the looks of the Klock Werks, and would get the 16" tall one. One person mentioned they are great, as long as they are not following another vehicle...which happens all the time. How does the Klock Werks respond in wind?

I'm 6'1" with 34 inseam and I have the 13" madstad in the lowest setting. There is lots of room to move it up at least 5" or more. 13 would be more than enough.

F6Dave
10-09-2015, 12:45 PM
What is it like when you are following a vehicle?

Do you have the tinted screen, clear, or smoke?

I have the dark smoke. IMO it's the best looking shield on the market. When following a vehicle I haven't noticed that it was any worse than with other shields, like on my Valkyrie Tourer.

http://dchealy.com/valk/kw2.jpg

Greg O
10-09-2015, 07:26 PM
I believe mine is a Clearview 15" light tint with recurve and vent, I am 5'11" and 32 " inseam. I like it. Next year I will try a 13" Madstad.

grendl
10-09-2015, 08:40 PM
+1 on the Klockwerks. I really liked the stock shield for looks ,but a helmet visor covered with bugs finally convinced me. Still get some airflow,blocks the cool weather we are getting in the mountains this time of year,can hear the sound sytem better and it looks good to me on the bike.
I wear a full helmet and find that with 'shades' on,I can open the shield without getting bees in the bonnet ..and hear the tunes even better !

Heavvyduty
10-10-2015, 06:03 AM

13in Madstad is more then enough.. TRUST me

JackB
10-10-2015, 06:32 AM
Just checked out the Bagger Shield. Neat idea. Is 19" too tall to see over? I don't want to look through the clear, convertible portion. I am 6'1".

I have the Bagger Shield and I like it a lot. I usually just run without the top shield, for me it lets some air which I like. But on cold or rainy ride I put the top shield on. For me the 19 inch is too tall I plan on cutting it down some day. (I'm 5'9")
Here's a picture with the top shield on.
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/extrurer/DSCF0573.jpg (http://s768.photobucket.com/user/extrurer/media/DSCF0573.jpg.html)j
Without the top shield
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/extrurer/DSCF0677.jpg (http://s768.photobucket.com/user/extrurer/media/DSCF0677.jpg.html)

willtill
10-10-2015, 07:26 AM
Not to hi-jack... but this just caught my eye... thanks for the idea. :icon_wink:

I need to add that to my reflective front accents; I still have some left over Solos red reflective tape... it's go well with what I have under the front windshield valance slots... :yes:

http://i58.tinypic.com/35an57n.jpg

VStarRider
10-11-2015, 08:14 AM
Thanks for all the input. I want to be able to ride with my visor open and not suffer from buffeting and excessive noise. I also want to be able to hear the chatter of my favorite morning radio on the into work. Owners of Baggershield, Madstad and Klockwerks... Please comment!

opas ride
10-11-2015, 08:48 AM
Thanks for all the input. I want to be able to ride with my visor open and not suffer from buffeting and excessive noise. I also want to be able to hear the chatter of my favorite morning radio on the into work. Owners of Baggershield, Madstad and Klockwerks... Please comment!

The Baggershield works for me just fine..No buffeting, very little wind noise, no radio issues and it looks good...Can't speak to the others....

Willl
10-11-2015, 11:30 AM

I'm 6'4", have the Baggershield TB-F6B-A
http://www.baggershield.com/honda-c-6.html?zenid=eb8890a76ccdefe09c89ef3f8aabcf77

In the last 3 months I have driven the beast 2500 miles, half were city miles, so I am no 25,000 mile a year interstate road warrior

That being said, appearance was a top priority
Around town I use the 11", on the interstate the 19"
Works great for me

As far as my stock stereo goes using the 19" Baggershield:

I wear 1/2 & 3/4 helmets, at 60 mph I have my volume set between 15-20
This would only apply to the USB port, I have never used the radio

I turn the stereo off at interstate speeds if the 11" shield is in place

Sorry I don't have a better picture, will try to get one later today

Heavvyduty
10-11-2015, 01:21 PM

Best Ive had so far.Very long torso . 13in is all you need

BEIST
10-12-2015, 01:18 AM
Love my smoked Klock Werks windshield. Looks great & Nothing but clean air and clear music. Also actually pushes the front end down onto the road for better stability.

VStarRider
10-12-2015, 06:49 AM
So, it was down to the KlockWerks and Madstad…

The 19" Baggershield just seemed like it would be too tall. I like the looks of the KlockWerks, but the clincher was that RevZilla won't accept a return that has been used on a bike. If it didn't work out the way I wanted it to, then I would be stuck with it.

The Madstad has a 60 day return, so I will be able to try it out and return it if I don't like it. I already know I do not like the looks of the Madstad, but if it functions as well as everyone claims, I will get past the appearance.

The Madstad is such a popular choice among the users on this site, along with the return policy, it became an obvious first choice. I will have it in about 2.5 weeks, and hopefully there will be a few riding days left here in upstate NY to give it a try.