PDA

View Full Version : Need feedback - Kuryakyn LED lights for the rear

willtill
10-09-2015, 06:53 AM
I need an oil filter wrench; seems that out of the thousands of :money1: of :tools1: I have... I have discovered that I have NOTHING that can get a normal bite on the F6B's oil filter. Unless I decide to do it "old school" and jam a screwdriver through it... ;groucho;

So; in my twisted way to think I'm getting a better deal by "ccsmiley" MORE than what I need; to get FREE shipping from one of our vendors... I have to spend more than what the wrench costs :icon_lol:

I am contemplating adding these onto the back of my Matte Silver F6B. More light is good.

http://i62.tinypic.com/zkfi3c.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/a0gdw9.jpg

I think some of you are already running these LED lights? How long have you had them and has there been any issue with the LEDS burning out?

Also, do the smoked chrome housings look more blackish than pictured?

Thanks!

six2go
10-09-2015, 07:40 AM
I've had that fender tip light for about 19 months(or 2 riding seasons) with no issues. I don't especially care for the vertical set but to each his own. A friend had the fender tip light, got it about the same time I did and a few of the led's failed in a short time, but I think they took care of him. Save your receipts. Kury demands it for an adjustment.

dickiedeals
10-09-2015, 07:40 AM
I need an oil filter wrench; seems that out of the thousands of :money1: of :tools1: I have... I have discovered that I have NOTHING that can get a normal bite on the F6B's oil filter. Unless I decide to do it "old school" and jam a screwdriver through it... ;groucho;

So; in my twisted way to think I'm getting a better deal by "ccsmiley" MORE than what I need; to get FREE shipping from one of our vendors... I have to spend more than what the wrench costs :icon_lol:

I am contemplating adding these onto the back of my Matte Silver F6B. More light is good.

I think some of you are already running these LED lights? How long have you had them and has there been any issue with the LEDS burning out?

Thanks!

I have them on the back of mine now since early October 2013. They are pricey when you buy all the adapter Y's but they are still tight and working great..(Clean the surface really well with wax remover and Alcohol) They are plug and play.Be sure you have them lined up when installing because you cannot move them once stuck...No bulbs failed as of yet. I would recommend them if you like the look.. I like the idea of being seen. I can't see them while driving down the road. I get comments like "Man the back of you bike is bright like a Christmas tree", etc...................Dickie

willtill
10-09-2015, 07:54 AM
Thanks guys:

Kuryakyn seems to have a pretty good warranty on the LEDS: Stole this off of their website:

Küryakyn electrical products are warranted for one (1) year from the date of purchase by the consumer. L.E.D.’s contained in components of Küryakyn products will be warranted for defects in materials & workmanship for 3 years from the date of purchase where as all other components shall be warranted for one (1) year. This includes, but is not limited to; control modules, wiring, chrome & other components.

Hey Dickie,

Do I need to buy TWO adapters (#KU3234)in order to wire up both the center LED piece, as well as the two verticle side LED's

BigAl1952
10-09-2015, 08:00 AM
I have just the chrome tip one on the back of my red B. I really like the looks of it and I haven't had it to long. So as far as longevity for the lights part of your question Im not much help. But I did think about the ones up the side and decided not to because of the burning out part and not wanting to attempt to remove them should that happen. Murphy is alive and well at my house and I didn't want paint damage. Al

dickiedeals
10-09-2015, 08:29 AM
Thanks guys:

Kuryakyn seems to have a pretty good warranty on the LEDS: Stole this off of their website:

Küryakyn electrical products are warranted for one (1) year from the date of purchase by the consumer. L.E.D.’s contained in components of Küryakyn products will be warranted for defects in materials & workmanship for 3 years from the date of purchase where as all other components shall be warranted for one (1) year. This includes, but is not limited to; control modules, wiring, chrome & other components.

Hey Dickie,

Do I need to buy TWO adapters (#KU3234)in order to wire up both the center LED piece, as well as the two verticle side LED's
Yes I think it takes one each side.........

willtill
10-09-2015, 08:34 AM
Thanks!

After consideration of all above, I am only going to affix the center fender LED... and see how she goes.... then I may opt for the vertical LED's at a later time.

In conclusion, my Honda oil filter wrench just cost me $166.00 as shipped. :icon_lol:

Greg O
10-09-2015, 10:44 AM
I only have the fender tip V shaped light in black and love the look, I don't like the look of the vertical ones though, I think it's too much. It's plug and play with the adapter.

baiao
10-09-2015, 11:10 AM
I ONLY INSTALLED THE FENDER TIP, only issue was the color difference ,tip is GLOSS black.:icon_rolleyes:

espiros
10-09-2015, 12:54 PM
I installed the center first and the decided to add the other two at later time.
I haven't had any problems with them so far.
I like the idea of been noticed on the road and yes, I get comments from friends an people, damm, you have a Christmas tree back there.....Some hate them some like them....I do like them and care less what people think as far as I feel safe and like the way they light up the back of the bike.

willtill
10-09-2015, 03:25 PM
I ONLY INSTALLED THE FENDER TIP, only issue was the color difference ,tip is GLOSS black.:icon_rolleyes:

Yes, the gloss black may be an negative aesthetic issue; on the matter silver F6B. The rear center fender is a flat black.

Maybe a little light sanding of the plastic and a coat of flat black spray paint will blend it in better; before mounting it.

I installed the center first and then decided to add the other two at later time.
I haven't had any problems with them so far.
I like the idea of been noticed on the road and yes, I get comments from friends an people, damm, you have a Christmas tree back there.....Some hate them some like them....I do like them and care less what people think as far as I feel safe and like the way they light up the back of the bike.

That's my plan at the moment...

jellybean
10-09-2015, 09:31 PM
I had mine for over a year now...everyone love it

JB17163

willtill
10-10-2015, 06:37 AM
That's a lot of light back there! :yes:

pdxstriper
10-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Hi,
Could someone include a picture of what the lower V light fixture looks like when OFF on a black bike? I like the idea of more light around back but want to make sure it looks OK.
Thanks!
Pete

BobR
10-10-2015, 01:08 PM
Mine have been installed since May of 2013. LED's should last way longer that traditional light due to the fact that they don't really have a traditional filament and no heat is produced. Mine are still working well. I have all three pieces and everyone loves the way they look. I appreciate that but I am more concerned with having the people behind me see me.

waynerock66
10-10-2015, 03:47 PM
The previous owner of my 2013 installed both the vertical and the lip LEDs. It is bright and I've had many comments on the look. I don't care for the vertical set myself. It's just too much for my taste. That being said I have no plans to remove any of them because of the safety factor.

jellybean
10-10-2015, 06:51 PM

JB17163

Steve 0080
10-10-2015, 06:55 PM
You can always add a set of eyes for the complete look !!!!!

lloydmoore1
10-11-2015, 07:19 AM

JB17163

Did you have to drill holes to install the side lights???

Also could you post a pic up close with out the lights NOT on so I could see the fit?

BigAl1952
10-11-2015, 08:59 AM
lloydmoore1
The side lights are held on by double stick tape. You just peel off the backing line them up and stick them on. Needs to be warmer than 50 degrees they say to do this. You can also go to the Kuryakyn website and they have some pics there of them installed on a bike. I chose not to do the side lights because of the chance of them going bad and then trying to remove them without paint damage. Al

jellybean
10-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Did you have to drill holes to install the side lights???

Also could you post a pic up close with out the lights NOT on so I could see the fit?

Here you go. There was no drilling for this .
These lights maybe too much for some but for me using my bike daily commute in and out of downtown Toronto for afternoon shift. It's a must.

JB

willtill
10-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Thank you for that. Best pictures to date; of those lights. :yes:

lloydmoore1
10-13-2015, 06:19 AM
That's exactly what I needed. Yes you have your hands full with that drive downtown Toronto everyday but at least you have the right bike for the challenge. Ride safe.
GO JAYS GO !!!! great game last night

willtill
10-13-2015, 05:22 PM
Need some help/advice

I am having a little difficulty trying to figure out how to best run and/or route the center Kuryakyn LED lead wire upwards; to the area behind the OEM taillight; where all of the connections are to be made for it.

How did you guys run the lead wire from the center Kuryakyn LED taillight up into that area? Did you simply tie it off against the inside of the center black rear fender (somehow?); and route it up as best as possible into the plastics above?

Or did you cut a slot in the side edge of the center black fender; where it meets the bodywork and then somehow feed it upwards.

I don't really want the center Kuryakyn lead wire exposed to all of the crap and trash that's kicked up by the rear tire; the Kuryakyn instructions are not granular enough about this... in stating how you should exactly run the wire. They just say keep it secured.

Can someone take a look under their rear center fender well and see how this center Kuryakyn's lead wire is routed upwards?

A picture of the wire's routing upward (if visible) would be MOST helpful... if possible.

willtill
10-14-2015, 05:23 AM
Anyone? Anyone? :039:

Can anyone volunteer the specifics of routing the lead wire; as I articulated in the above post?

Or am I going at this alone? :icon_frown: I'm sure I can ultimately figure something out... but it would be nice for once...

...to not have to re-invent the wheel. :icon_wink:

Greg O
10-14-2015, 06:15 PM
I siliconed the wire in the channel of the light. There is only one side on the light that has the channel, then up behind the black panel.

willtill
10-14-2015, 07:22 PM
Hi Greg,

Great minds think alike! :icon_wink:

I actually was doing the same thing this afternoon; with epoxy. I didn't like how the lead wire flopped around in the housing. Here is the lead wire currently curing with the epoxy;

http://i59.tinypic.com/343ka2x.jpg

I've since studied the rear of the removable black center fender on the F6B; and have come to the conclusion that the lead wire will (unfortunately) have to be run (and -NOT- shielded by plastics) internally up along where the black center fender edge meets the side saddlebag edge.

However...

...in a moment of consumer weakness; also have ordered the vertical LED lights from Value Accessories today as well. Once all that does come in; I will rip apart (carefully disassemble) the rear center fender (again) and see if there's a better way to run the leads. For all of the LED lights. :yes:

Thanks for your response. :icon_wink:

Ridlikhel
10-14-2015, 09:56 PM
Been thinking about getting the tail light myself. If I do I'll be buying some automotive vent tubing, slicing it, then running some good electrical tape on it, before I attach it to the fender with silicon.

willtill
10-15-2015, 07:59 AM
Been thinking about getting the tail light myself. If I do I'll be buying some automotive vent tubing, slicing it, then running some good electrical tape on it, before I attach it to the fender with silicon.

Yep. Good plan. I have some tubing and will be doing that myself.

The lead wire does have a protective sheath (shrink tubing) on it; however that rear tire could kick up a rock that would easily pinch/smash/slice it in half.

willtill
10-15-2015, 10:11 AM
I did a "test fit" of the rear center Kuryakyn LED light. The gloss black isn't "too" startling against the look of the flat black center panel. I may leave that "sleeping dog" lie for now... more remains to be seen once I receive the two vertical Kuryakyn lights... then the "fat lady" will make her debut and sing... regarding a decision to painting of these three Kuryakyn LED light housings...

http://i61.tinypic.com/2hi3uck.jpg

However, I do not like the pinch point where the lead wire exits out between the edge of the rear center fender panel and the Kuryakyn LED light housing:

http://i60.tinypic.com/2e696h2.jpg

I am going to have to do something about that. I'll probably take something heated (such as a screwdriver shaft) and gently mold a slight channel where the wire exits between the two pieces of plastic. This is meant to be a fairly permanent farkle anyway... so it'll be out of sight... out of mind.

willtill
10-20-2015, 06:17 AM
I haven't posted a picture as of yet; but I did file a small notch in the bottom of the center black fender piece; the lead wire now is no longer pinched as the Kuryakyn rear LED fendertip housing is installed on the fender.

Am hoping to get all three pieces installed tomorrow or Thursday (with pictures) if the forecast temperatures of 70 degree's are realized... I need it to be warmer in order for the 3M adhesive backing tape to cure properly.

willtill
10-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Warming up a little today; so am seeing if I can get these lights installed.

Here is the small groove I filed in the edge of the fender. Looks huge in the picture; but in actuality it is not. Also filed a groove in the inside lip of the fender as well:

http://i61.tinypic.com/s5d3ma.jpg

It looks messy; but is not. That area is the inside lip of the center fender. Can't see it unless you get underneath and look:

http://i57.tinypic.com/11iflkz.jpg

I will be popping off the entire black center fender next; for two things.

1. To clean inside of the fender; where I am going to affix protection for the lead wire.
2. To add a little more 3m double sided tape to the top inside of the center Kuryakyn LED light mount. They affixed tape already to it; but it's not making enough contact with the black fender. It needs to be a wee bit more thicker

baiao
10-20-2015, 12:12 PM
I also add more 3M tape to better anchor the LED to fender, poor contact to fender :banghead:

willtill
10-20-2015, 01:56 PM
So this is the center panel removed. Easy peasy - two screws up under the turn signal lenses; and two screws at the lower outer edges of the fender panel. Sucker then pops right off. :yes:
You can see the OEM connector (red arrow) that you are going to separate; to install the Kuryakyn adapter:

http://i60.tinypic.com/1sb6rr.jpg

The Kuryakyn adapter (red arrow) you have to buy separately. The good news is that you only need one; for as many lights as you could possibly hook up. If you buy the Kuryakyn set of vertical lights; you get a 3 connector pigtail in the package (already connected to the Kuryakyn adapter)(blue arrow). If you're just doing the center Kuryakyn LED light; you get the 2 connector pigtail with the package.

http://i62.tinypic.com/qq98hj.jpg

Here you can see the OEM connector disconnected (red arrows) and the Kuryakyn adapter installed. Looks best to place the wire bundles/connectors in this manner.

http://i58.tinypic.com/20zeank.jpg

Baytown
10-20-2015, 04:14 PM
Great post Will, and again, Im doing the same but with only the center fender tip.
I will follow this accuratly for my install.
Good on you.
Ken

ReserveBum
10-20-2015, 06:33 PM
Will
You have the Whelens mounted...how/where did you wire those into?

willtill
10-20-2015, 08:04 PM
Will
You have the Whelens mounted...how/where did you wire those into?

Those are not Whelens. Those are a pair of 16 LED Hyperlites. I wired them in to the brake lights with Posi-Taps; behind the OEM brake light housing.

http://www.hyperlites.com/stdsf.html

I wanted to leave at least one passive reflector on the rear of the bike; so the OEM reflector under the license plate light will stay native.

willtill
11-07-2015, 02:44 PM
So I just finished installing the Kuryakyn rear LED lights... hardest part was just trying to hide the connectors behind the top part of the center fender... lot of connectors and wires; especially with my additional wiring for the Hyperlites:

They sort of look better off; than on with the rear of the Silver matte:

http://i66.tinypic.com/11io8ic.jpg

Definitely light up the rear of the bike though.... good for this time of year with the days being so short.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2m5ikvb.jpg

maybe these will grow on me. I pretty much crossed the Rubicon when I installed the side ones... that adhesive is fairly permanent.

Papa Tater
11-08-2015, 07:06 PM
So I just finished installing the Kuryakyn rear LED lights... hardest part was just trying to hide the connectors behind the top part of the center fender... lot of connectors and wires; especially with my additional wiring for the Hyperlites:

They sort of look better off; than on with the rear of the Silver matte:

http://i66.tinypic.com/11io8ic.jpg

Definitely light up the rear of the bike though.... good for this time of year with the days being so short.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2m5ikvb.jpg

maybe these will grow on me. I pretty much crossed the Rubicon when I installed the side ones... that adhesive is fairly permanent.

What lights are those on each side of the reflector above the license tag?

Thanks

willtill
11-09-2015, 05:37 AM
What lights are those on each side of the reflector above the license tag?

Thanks

16 LED Hyperltes (running/flashing hi intensity brake lights). They are EXTREMELY bright and noticeable... even someone looking down while texting is going to look up. :icon_lol:

Here's a video of another Wing with them mounted... so you can see their performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMplQ0SqhyE

lloydmoore1
01-22-2016, 06:30 PM
Finished the tail light. Painted it flat black and it was a great match, thanks to the advice found on this forum!
Also installed the mirror signal LEDs .

terryboyle
01-22-2016, 08:32 PM
Those vertical strips really complete the picture. Look terrific.:yes:

RickJ
01-23-2016, 09:46 PM
Thanks!

After consideration of all above, I am only going to affix the center fender LED... and see how she goes.... then I may opt for the vertical LED's at a later time.

In conclusion, my Honda oil filter wrench just cost me $166.00 as shipped. :icon_lol:

That's what I did...I like it- just the bottom V...that with the superbrightled.com flashing brake lights, I'm pretty visible.

willtill
01-24-2016, 09:04 AM
Finished the tail light. Painted it flat black and it was a great match, thanks to the advice found on this forum!
Also installed the mirror signal LEDs .

I had no idea that the style of those mirror turn signal LEDs stuck out so far like that?

Not recessed into the mirror housing?

lloydmoore1
01-24-2016, 09:59 AM
I had no idea that the style of those mirror turn signal LEDs stuck out so far like that?

Not recessed into the mirror housing?

Yeah they just stick to the back of the mirror so depending how you adjust the mirror affects how far they stick out.

willtill
01-24-2016, 02:07 PM
Yeah they just stick to the back of the mirror so depending how you adjust the mirror affects how far they stick out.

Thanks.

Eea77
01-24-2016, 07:53 PM

Thanks!

This is what I plan on doing

RickW
01-24-2016, 09:06 PM
This is what I plan on doing

If you go with the Smoke Chrome from Show Chrome it will look like this.
http://store.valueaccessories.net/LEDRearFenderTipHondaGL1800GoldWing.aspx
Not going to be as bright as the Kuryakyn, but the look is Classy.

http://www.valueaccessories.net/Rear%2000814.jpg

Travelor
04-30-2016, 06:12 AM
I just installed the vertical ones but didn't see much differentiation in the intensity between the running light and the brake light. Besides having extra lighting to be seen, I also want the person behind me to really "get it" when I put on the brakes. I figured that if I reduced the voltage to the running lights in these vertical stripes then the brake light would really make a difference. Did a little experimentation and spliced a 100 ohm, 1/2 watt resistor into the red wire. On these light strips, black is ground, white is the stop light and red is the running light. The 100 ohm resistor drops the voltage in the running light circuit to around 10 volts, and now the light output is really noticeable when the brakes go on.