PDA

View Full Version : decisions

deacon
10-09-2015, 04:04 PM
I am new to the forum,do not own aF6b,currently riding a CB1100. .looking for a bike to do some two up touring. my question is how good a touring bike is the F6b compared to the reg. Goldwing?

Steve 0080
10-09-2015, 06:40 PM
Same except no pizza box!

valkmc
10-09-2015, 07:05 PM
I am new to the forum,do not own aF6b,currently riding a CB1100. .looking for a bike to do some two up touring. my question is how good a touring bike is the F6b compared to the reg. Goldwing?
Depends. I came off a 12 Wing to a 13 F6. I preferred the Wing in only one way over the 6 and that was long distance touring. I don't mean a two or three day trip. I liked it for my summer two or three week cross country rides. Great wind protection, heated seats and grips for those cold mornings in the mountains, larger side bags and that ugly trunk all made things easier on long trips from home. Reverse comes in handy when backing up with a trailer on and my 13 doesn't have that OEM cruise. Not to mention my partners seat and electrical hook ups in the rear of the Wing made her happy which resulted in me being happier.With all that said I much prefer the 6. It is a good touring bike just not as good as a full wing and all around it fits me and my normal riding much better. I can't justify three bikes at the moment but a Wing parked in the garage with my other two would be great!

ths61
10-09-2015, 07:09 PM
Depends. I came off a 12 Wing to a 13 F6. I preferred the Wing in only one way over the 6 and that was long distance touring. I don't mean a two or three day trip. I liked it for my summer two or three week cross country rides. Great wind protection, heated seats and grips for those cold mornings in the mountains, larger side bags and that ugly trunk all made things easier on long trips from home. Reverse comes in handy when backing up with a trailer on and my 13 doesn't have that OEM cruise. Not to mention my partners seat and electrical hook ups in the rear of the Wing made her happy which resulted in me being happier.With all that said I much prefer the 6. It is a good touring bike just not as good as a full wing and all around it fits me and my normal riding much better. I can't justify three bikes at the moment but a Wing parked in the garage with my other two would be great!

The B has smaller saddlebags that the full wing ? I thought they were the same size.

okiedoc
10-09-2015, 07:18 PM
The 2015 has cruise and heated grips, my wife and I took a trip from the northwest part of Oklahoma to Denver, CO. I thought the F6B performed very well.

valkmc
10-09-2015, 09:46 PM
The B has smaller saddlebags that the full wing ? I thought they were the same size.
I did not measure them but I could fit my helmet easily in the Wing bags and it is tight in my 6. They do not seem as wide.

valkmc
10-09-2015, 09:54 PM
The 2015 has cruise and heated grips, my wife and I took a trip from the northwest part of Oklahoma to Denver, CO. I thought the F6B performed very well.
I think it performs well also. I rode mine from Ocala Fl to Oswego NY and back this summer. It was great I just happen to think the full Wing is a great long distance tourer and the 6 is really a bagger. I love my 6 and do not regret swapping the Wing for it!

grendl
10-10-2015, 04:26 PM
IMHO,I would guess the full wing is going to make your rider happier. More room to pack 'stuff' in and better wind protection.
For me personally I much prefer my F6. I don't travel two up ,on long trips I strap a duffle in the back seat,pack the bags and roll !
For a single rider,I much prefer my 6. i didn't and still don't want the full wing and I have made a couple of trips on mine and find it comfortable,maneuverable and drop dead gorgeous.
Pull into a rest stop and I always get conversation-what is it,how sleek it looks(even with the duffle on the backseat).
Did I mention I love this bike !!
All that said,my understanding is that a happy wife makes for a happy life:icon_biggrin:

opas ride
10-10-2015, 04:47 PM
I only ride one-up anymore so the F6B works great for me...Lighter, seems to handle easier at slower speeds, Mustang seat which sits me about 1"lower is super and I am perfectly satisfied on rides around 150/200 miles..If I were going to tour with a passenger and wanted/needed the trunk, and other "goodies" I would go for the GW I suppose...My prior ride was a Victory Vision Tour and it had it all over the GW, IMHO,on the road...Better wind protection, adjustable windshield, super long floorboards, plenty of power when needed and was lower to the ground for me...It had its faults also, but for the 3 years I rode it I really enjoyed it on the highway.....Ride safe..

tinkerman
10-10-2015, 05:50 PM
The first trip I did with the B was a coast to coast trip with my wife on the back. It will depend on your expectations.....losing 70 lbs of trunk and other bells and whistles was well worth the added agility the bike delivers. Soft luggage adds temporary storage for the longer trip. Recommend heated grips and electric vest for cooler riding but my wife finds the rear seat spacious and comfortable. However she is 115 lbs and used to fairly bare bones bikes so the B felt pretty plush to her. Its really just a big ass sport touring bike.....take the luggage off when you get where your are going for the night and you can go zipping around.....the best of both worlds.

tink

Sorcerer
10-10-2015, 06:28 PM
I did not measure them but I could fit my helmet easily in the Wing bags and it is tight in my 6. They do not seem as wide.

What year is/was your full Wing.

Jimmytee
10-10-2015, 06:41 PM
The Bags are the same size between the fully dressed Gold Wing and the F6B for the same equivalent model years.

valkmc
10-10-2015, 08:06 PM
What year is/was your full Wing.
My Wing was a 12. I like everyone here think the 6 is a great bike but the OP asked about 2 up touring. As someone who has toured alot in the last ten years if I have a passenger on the back and I am out for a three week ride the full wing is better than the 6. I may be mistaken on the bags I know they are the same length but they do not seem as deep. Got the same helmets I had with the Wing and the fit sure is tighter.

jellybean
10-10-2015, 08:56 PM

It's depend on what you are looking for short trip, long trip, ride with passenger... etc...? Currently our garage has a full wing, F6B and F6C...we like them all .

JB

valkmc
10-10-2015, 10:34 PM
It's depend on what you are looking for short trip, long trip, ride with passenger... etc...? Currently our garage has a full wing, F6B and F6C...we like them all .

JB

That's the way to do it. One of each!

Dave Ritsema
10-11-2015, 08:12 AM
As a few others have touched upon, when comparing the F6B with a full Wing from a passengers standpoint, you may find that the F6B comes up a bit short. Even with the addition of a proper backrest my wife is not comfortable on long rides. She was used to being tucked into the back of a Valkyrie Interstate and felt much more secure. She also feels that she gets significantly more wind blast, despite the addition of Baker products.
As of right now, I am planning on trading in the spring for a new Goldwing.

Old Ryder
10-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Look at the Wing---Look at the B. What your eyes see that is on the Wing and NOT on the B is the difference! I have the manual and they are the same bike except for the bell and whistles and chrome on the Wing. Personally, I love my F6B but have no interest at all in owning a full blown Gold Wing. Way too much clutter for me.

deacon
10-12-2015, 06:47 PM
handshake with local Honda dealer Saturday on a new 2013 F6b Delux.never rode one, only saw one,once at Hannigans before trike conversion. hope this bike is as good as y'all claim, at 65 this might,I stress might be the last.
p.s. mostly lurk but enjoy all the posts