PDA

View Full Version : Picked up new F6B today & first time riding one...

VStarRider
10-13-2015, 07:56 PM
I had not even heard one run before…

Dealer had it ready to go, kept it inside all day, washed and waxed. Dealer owner went over everything, from checking the oil to how to program radio stations. He fired it up in the shop, and what a sound…it was the first time I had ever heard one. What a sweet, smooth machine. Wow. The odometer read 0 miles. I have never owned a vehicle that read '0' on the odometer.

Put all my gear on and started to head home.

My very first reaction was how precise everything operated. My VStar clutch operates by cable, so having a lightweight hydraulic clutch was a shock.

My second impressionable moment was how much of a non-factor the weight was. The weight was the part of was most worried about. Once it gets rolling (2+ mph), there is no difference. I don't feel like I can throw it around like my Vstar 1100, just like I can't throw a Town Car around like a Corolla. But it is a reassuring, "quality" feel.

My third impression was how easy it is to ride. I thought it would be a challenge with so much of a bigger bike and so much more power than I have ever had available to me. Once I got into traffic, my riding skills took over, and it was a piece of cake. The handling is on par or better than my 600 lb VStar 1100.

Fourth: it feels like I am driving a car. It is so smooth and stable sailing down the road. I was on an interstate within a few minutes of ever riding an F6B. I accelerated through the gears, never more than 3000 rpm, and I was going near 80 mph without realizing it. Sheesh.

That reminds me of my fifth noticeable experience: the power. It is not like a crotch rocket…or a VTwin cruiser…it just feels like it has that burst than a Vtwin gives you at low rpm only…and the pull of a high rpm four cylinder crotch rocket…spread out smoothly over the entire rpm range. This thing has waaaay more power than it needs. :yikes: Sheesh.

I was surprised I could hear the radio at 60 mph with the factory windscreen … and speaking of that, ugh, that has got to go. Madstad is on the way.

I feel like my feet are too far back, underneath me. That take some getting used to. For me, the VStar had a riding position that was better than if I had Yamaha had shown up here with a sandwich and a Coke and designed it around me.

The seat is big, wide, has good lower back support and seems like it will be comfortable over long distances. The ride is smooth and steady, but a little firm. Will see how it is after a few miles.

I am not used to the damn rear brake being non-automotive like and that close to the peg. I missed it a couple of times.

The audio system/electronics need an update, but they are serviceable and proven (most important part).

It has 22 miles on it, and I will take it out again on Thursday...

ths61
10-13-2015, 08:01 PM
FWIW, Kury makes a larger (1 inch wider) brake pedal if needed.

http://wingstuff.com/system/uploads/main_image/000/020/722/original.png

Greg O
10-13-2015, 08:18 PM
The first day I had the bike I raised the brake pedal up 2 splines.

Old Ryder
10-14-2015, 06:45 AM
Word for word, those were my impressions, too except the Audio is fine to me, but I came from old Harley radio-cassette stuff, so ..........Also, there is more DNA from a Civic in this bike than a VTX or the old CB series that I was used to. In nobody's world does the the performance reflect the image of the bike. It looks big and bulky but it handles more like a sport tourer except for the seating position.

Feet position was my issue, too. FWIW---Highway bars and a custom seat mod is probably in your future---maybe risers to re-position the arms. Lower controls are pretty much unmovable, so you will have to adjust the upper body to fit. Bummer, but that is the price you pay to have a big ole flat smooth engine. :motorcycle2:

jm21ddd15
10-14-2015, 07:35 AM
Fourth: it feels like I am driving a car. It is so smooth and stable sailing down the road. I was on an interstate within a few minutes of ever riding an F6B. I accelerated through the gears, never more than 3000 rpm, and I was going near 80 mph without realizing it. Sheesh.

That reminds me of my fifth noticeable experience: the power. It is not like a crotch rocket…or a VTwin cruiser…it just feels like it has that burst than a Vtwin gives you at low rpm only…and the pull of a high rpm four cylinder crotch rocket…spread out smoothly over the entire rpm range. This thing has waaaay more power than it needs. :yikes: Sheesh.

Your comment on power got my attention. If you haven't had the 6 past 3000 rpms, you have not begun to feel the power! Go ahead, crank it up! It won't hurt the motor. Then you most likely will have some new respect for the motor in the 6. Enjoy, and welcome to the group! :cheers:

Cobraguy
10-14-2015, 08:57 AM
You will probably find the rear spring preload is set to 1 click. Adjusting it to firmer (17 clicks on mine) will actually gives a smoother more forgiving ride. The adjuster is behind the right side cover. Open the right saddle bag before pulling on it. Its mounted on pegs and grommets. No tools needed.

VStarRider
10-14-2015, 12:00 PM
You will probably find the rear spring preload is set to 1 click. Adjusting it to firmer (17 clicks on mine) will actually gives a smoother more forgiving ride. The adjuster is behind the right side cover. Open the right saddle bag before pulling on it. Its mounted on pegs and grommets. No tools needed.

When the dealer was going over it with me yesterday, he said the seat needed to be removed to adjust the preload. I can access the adjustment by removing the side cover alone?

BIGLRY
10-14-2015, 12:18 PM
When the dealer was going over it with me yesterday, he said the seat needed to be removed to adjust the preload. I can access the adjustment by removing the side cover alone?YEP, as long as you open the right saddle bag first!:301:

vmaxed
10-14-2015, 12:18 PM
When the dealer was going over it with me yesterday, he said the seat needed to be removed to adjust the preload. I can access the adjustment by removing the side cover alone?

'welcome gang' Yes...If it's the stock seat. What did you buy?

opas ride
10-14-2015, 12:36 PM
'welcome gang' Yes...If it's the stock seat. What did you buy?

I have an after-market Mustang seat which makes removing the side covers a bit of a challenge, but the tech at my dealer has adjusted the suspension for me without removing the seat..If you know what your doing and take a little time being careful it works fine...Regards

dickiedeals
10-14-2015, 01:10 PM
:congrats:.welcome20. From Sunny :th_sunbathe:Florida.........................Dicki e

CopperMike
10-14-2015, 01:26 PM
Congrats on the new bike!

edgeman55
10-15-2015, 01:22 PM
.welcome20. and congrates on getting your new ride.It only gets better every time you swing your leg over her.Happy and safe rides.

VStarRider
10-15-2015, 06:09 PM
Up to 81 miles on the odometer after a ride along the Lake Ontario shoreline to my folks' house. Took the afternoon off; not too many 65 F+ sunny days left this time of year in this part of the country.

Getting used to the bike. I now know why people say the Gold Wings are kinda like cars…I have to remind myself that it is a bike, not a car. So smooth, quiet, and isolated from the road. Except for that damn stock windshield; OMG that thing is awful.

When researching this bike, I never really looked performance because it is not a priority of mine. Yes, I like good power, but most bikes come with that standard anyway. I heard and read about the torque of the flat-6, and, sure, that's great, but never thought too much about it.

From a stop sign on a desolate road, I revved it past 3000 rpm for the first time, shifting to second a 5500 rpm, and continued to stay on the throttle. I couldn't believe my eyes…I was already at 60 mph!! How is it possible to accelerate that fast?!?! I looked up the performance stats and saw the F6B runs to 60 mph in about 3.5 seconds. That is just a shade behind most high-powered crotch rockets, for goodness sake!

This has been the biggest…and most pleasant…surprise so far. The freakin' power. Not that I am telling you guys anything you don't already know.

Anyone else sometimes not get a clean shift into 5th gear and have it pop out? Got me twice today.

Sorcerer
10-15-2015, 06:36 PM
I had mine on a dyno last month. 103 hp, 108 fp of torqe. The exhaust gas sniffer showed the bike runs on the lean side.

Old Ryder
10-15-2015, 08:59 PM
From a stop sign on a desolate road, I revved it past 3000 rpm for the first time, shifting to second a 5500 rpm, and continued to stay on the throttle. I couldn't believe my eyes…I was already at 60 mph!! How is it possible to accelerate that fast?!?! I looked up the performance stats and saw the F6B runs to 60 mph in about 3.5 seconds. That is just a shade behind most high-powered crotch rockets, for goodness sake!

This has been the biggest…and most pleasant…surprise so far. The freakin' power. Not that I am telling you guys anything you don't already know.

Allow me to introduce you to Yellow Wolf. He runs with the crotch rockets at Deals Gap. Or used to. I heard he wiped out--but his record averages 60 MPH at the Dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37XLJNLpzxQ

BigAl1952
10-15-2015, 09:46 PM
That guy has bigger stones than I do. Pretty impressive. Al

opas ride
10-16-2015, 02:10 PM
Up to 81 miles on the odometer after a ride along the Lake Ontario shoreline to my folks' house. Took the afternoon off; not too many 65 F+ sunny days left this time of year in this part of the country.

Getting used to the bike. I now know why people say the Gold Wings are kinda like cars…I have to remind myself that it is a bike, not a car. So smooth, quiet, and isolated from the road. Except for that damn stock windshield; OMG that thing is awful.

When researching this bike, I never really looked performance because it is not a priority of mine. Yes, I like good power, but most bikes come with that standard anyway. I heard and read about the torque of the flat-6, and, sure, that's great, but never thought too much about it.

Anyone else sometimes not get a clean shift into 5th gear and have it pop out? Got me twice today.
Some have had issues with the so called "ghost shifting" in 5th gear as you noticed...I have never had the issue, look up in the archives on the board and you will see that most times it is cured by making sure you pound it hard into 5th gear and not "pussy foot" shift so to speak..You will most likely find the correct way to pull the shifter up hard after you ride a while....Ride safe...PS, don't baby the thing and run up the revs a lot and then shift out...It will not hurt this motor at all, just don't ride at a constant speed for long periods of time until get you some miles on the thing!!!!!

VStarRider
10-16-2015, 04:54 PM
Some have had issues with the so called "ghost shifting" in 5th gear as you noticed...I have never had the issue, look up in the archives on the board and you will see that most times it is cured by making sure you pound it hard into 5th gear and not "pussy foot" shift so to speak..You will most likely find the correct way to pull the shifter up hard after you ride a while....Ride safe...PS, don't baby the thing and run up the revs a lot and then shift out...It will not hurt this motor at all, just don't ride at a constant speed for long periods of time until get you some miles on the thing!!!!!

Yeah, I learned that after the second time. I have been jamming it into 5th, and the issue did not repeat itself.

The dealer told me the same thing - ride it as you normally would, don't be afraid to rev it, just avoid steady rpms for long stretches.

I am not one to ride / accelerate fast on a bike - I like to cruise - however the flat-6 is making it hard not to get on it a little bit. Shifting at 1800 rpm in each gear is more than enough to stay ahead of traffic.

Ericb445
10-17-2015, 12:40 AM
I'm pretty sure that I seen that our bike makes most of the power at 4500 RPM

Fla_rider
10-17-2015, 08:17 AM
'welcome gang' to the forum. Lots of good reading in here. Any question you have has been answered at least 10 times. Traditional calls for you to post a pic of your new baby with or without you.

:postpics:

zzh54
10-17-2015, 08:34 PM
Welcome to the board, and congrats on the new bike.

CheckpointChcky
02-27-2016, 10:16 PM
Be careful riding her in that rush hour traffic on 390 and 490!!!:icon_lol: