PDA

View Full Version : Dark Side and Honda Warranty

wiggy
10-15-2015, 06:58 PM
I've heard the stories about insurance companies denying claims/coverage if one runs a dark side...and I recently totaled out a Valk Interstate with a dark side tire. Nothing was said about the tire.
But I've recently heard a person claim a dealer/Mother Honda could void a warranty if a dark side tire is put on. Is this just more from the rumor mill or is it legit?
I read somewhere that an F6b rim actuslly has the same designation as a car rim. If that's true, I don't see how one could void a factory warranty by going Darkside.
Thoughts? Thanks

bob109
10-15-2015, 07:24 PM
I've heard the stories about insurance companies denying claims/coverage if one runs a dark side...and I recently totaled out a Valk Interstate with a dark side tire. Nothing was said about the tire.
But I've recently heard a person claim a dealer/Mother Honda could void a warranty if a dark side tire is put on. Is this just more from the rumor mill or is it legit?
I read somewhere that an F6b rim actuslly has the same designation as a car rim. If that's true, I don't see how one could void a factory warranty by going Darkside.
Thoughts? Thanks

There is actually a difference between a Auto Rim and a Cycle Rim in the bead area! Can't recall the details but if you do some research you'll get the info. That said, I'm a Double Dark Sider with a G-Max on the rear and a Battlax BT-45 on the front.

Over the years I've heard my fair share of purported facts from the rumor mill and usually get a good chuckle from most. If the dealer is going to refuse warranty work based on ones use of a CT, they would have to do the same for any Wing/F6B with a trailer hitch:shhh: or using anything other than OEM products/parts i.e. brake pads, oil filters, air filters etc.

Residing in Pa., I have a yearly Vehicle/Motorcycle inspection. I keep a copy of the entire Motorcycle Inspection Criterion in my saddle bags! I have "high-lighted" the portion of the inspection guidance which "clearly states" that the cycle be equipped with a "DOT Approved Tire on a DOT Approved Rim"! All of my installed tires are, in fact, DOT Approved and my F6B Rims are embossed with DOT Approval. There is nothing in the inspection criterion which specifies a rim must be MC!

wiggy
10-15-2015, 07:31 PM
There is actually a difference between a Auto Rim and a Cycle Rim in the bead area! Can't recall the details but if you do some research you'll get the info. That said, I'm a Double Dark Sider with a G-Max on the rear and a Battlax BT-45 on the front.

Over the years I've heard my fair share of purported facts from the rumor mill and usually get a good chuckle from most. If the dealer is going to refuse warranty work based on ones use of a CT, they would have to do the same for any Wing/F6B with a trailer hitch:shhh: or using anything other than OEM products/parts i.e. brake pads, oil filters, air filters etc.

Residing in Pa., I have a yearly Vehicle/Motorcycle inspection. I keep a copy of the entire Motorcycle Inspection Criterion in my saddle bags! I have "high-lighted" the portion of the inspection guidance which "clearly states" that the cycle be equipped with a "DOT Approved Tire on a DOT Approved Rim"! All of my installed tires are, in fact, DOT Approved and my F6B Rims are embossed with DOT Approval. There is nothing in the inspection criterion which specifies a rim must be MC!

Thanks for your thoughts/findings, Bob. I was running a Yokohama Avid Envigor on my Valk Interstate and loved it. I was long past my warranty period when I installed it however so that was no issue. Now that I have a brand new B..I want to go Darkside again, probably with the Michelin Alpin as soon as the B's rear tire wears out.

I've yet to hear of anyone ever crashing due to the fault of a Darkside tire. I have heard of many that have crashed when their MC tire suddenly went flat(in some cases due to the OEM valve stem giving out).

Thanks!

willtill
10-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Exactly what are you worrying about with the F6B regarding warranty; if you run a car tire?

A car tire is not going to make the F6B blow up or catch on fire. Or malfunction. Or break. Or prematurely wear out a part.

wiggy
10-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Exactly what are you worrying about with the F6B regarding warranty; if you run a car tire?

A car tire is not going to make the F6B blow up or catch on fire. Or malfunction. Or break. Or prematurely wear out a part.

For the same reasons that a dealer usually won't mount a car tire for you, I was asking IF they could revoke a warranty based on the bike having been modded in this way.

I myself am not concerned about a car tire as I've run one with my Valk Interstate. It's more a legalise question on IF the dealer can do that.

I couldn't agree with your statement more that a car tire "shouldn't" affect a warranty.

Thanks,

Travelor
10-15-2015, 09:52 PM
I don't care one way or another what kind of tire anyone uses, but you should know that the standard bead dimensions are totally different between a car rim and motorcycle rim. What any decent lawyer will make of that is that by mounting a car tire on a motorcycle rim you are not using a product designed to the standard the manufacturer is designing their products to, and therefore they can void the warranty if the tire has any involvement in the warranty claim. It may not matter for an engine issue, or transmission, but you might have a hard time in an accident situation if there is any "traction" issue. Manufacturers generally have the right to nullify a warranty if products (like an aftermarket oil filter) used with their product (the engine) do not materially meet the specifications they have set. It doesn't have to be exact, but there has to be a reasonably conformance to the specifications. In any event, fighting them on a warranty issue can be a real PITA.

Deer Slayer
10-15-2015, 10:17 PM
I just hate the "Flaming Death Senerio":yikes:

wiggy
10-15-2015, 11:01 PM
I don't care one way or another what kind of tire anyone uses, but you should know that the standard bead dimensions are totally different between a car rim and motorcycle rim. What any decent lawyer will make of that is that by mounting a car tire on a motorcycle rim you are not using a product designed to the standard the manufacturer is designing their products to, and therefore they can void the warranty if the tire has any involvement in the warranty claim. It may not matter for an engine issue, or transmission, but you might have a hard time in an accident situation if there is any "traction" issue. Manufacturers generally have the right to nullify a warranty if products (like an aftermarket oil filter) used with their product (the engine) do not materially meet the specifications they have set. It doesn't have to be exact, but there has to be a reasonably conformance to the specifications. In any event, fighting them on a warranty issue can be a real PITA.

Thanks, Travelor. This is the kind of post that does make sense from a legalise point of view. While I am sure I'll go to a darkside tire with the B, it throws further fuel on the fire on whether one should wait till the warranty is up. I probably won't but....

Deer Slayer, I'm with you on hating the Flaming Death scenario preachings. I had just that argument at my local dealer about 6 months back with their salesman.

Wing'n it
10-16-2015, 01:05 PM
They (insurance companies and Honda) absolutely could use any excuse to avoid paying any claim or warranty. Don't know that they would or have any reason to even look but THEY COULD. Even pulling a trailer is an excuse not to pay. I guess the best way to look at it is to think how you would NOT have to pay a claim if it was a suspect claim...

BIGLRY
10-16-2015, 02:14 PM
Here is more than you will ever want to know with pic about the differences between Ct and a MC rim & tire construction with a whole lot more thrown in. This guy went to a lot of time and effort to do this and is a good read. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10-reference-faq-forum/400426-design-differences-between-car-motorcycle-rim-tire.html
I have been a darksider on all my other steel steeds at one time or another and probably will be again on my F6B and now after reading the article a much more informed darksider about the construction of CT verses MC tires and their respective rims.:301:

Wing'n it
10-16-2015, 02:45 PM
I went darkside on my 2002 Wing and never really noticed much difference. However I tried it on the VTX in my sig. and that was a total disaster! That bike handled so poorly with a CT on it that is was not save to ride. Funny how some bikes will accept a CT and other will not.

wjduke
10-16-2015, 03:11 PM
Here is more than you will ever want to know with pic about the differences between Ct and a MC rim & tire construction with a whole lot more thrown in. This guy went to a lot of time and effort to do this and is a good read. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10-reference-faq-forum/400426-design-differences-between-car-motorcycle-rim-tire.html
I have been a darksider on all my other steel steeds at one time or another and probably will be again on my F6B and now after reading the article a much more informed darksider about the construction of CT verses MC tires and their respective rims.:301:

I'm at work and don't have the time to read this top to bottom, but it's about as comprehensive a report that you'll ever see. That's a fantastic find BIGLRY. I've said it on my other forum and will here too...Without reading that report in full, I'll never mount a CT on any bike I own. To me, and my opinion only, it just doesn't add up. After seeing those photo's on tire/wheel bead contact points, I feel stronger about it. Me and shooter are pretty good buddies, even though we never met. We're both in the tire business. He swears by them. It's one of those things, that's all I can say. I would never ever tell anyone not to. It's my choice only.

BIGLRY
10-16-2015, 03:14 PM
I went darkside on my 2002 Wing and never really noticed much difference. However I tried it on the VTX in my sig. and that was a total disaster! That bike handled so poorly with a CT on it that is was not save to ride. Funny how some bikes will accept a CT and other will not.
I had the same issues on one of my VTX1800, it was not until I changed tire brands an played a lot with air pressure that I felt comfortable with a CT on that one particular VTX I have. No more Riken Raptor CT like the one below on a MC for me.
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image16836.jpg
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image16837.jpg
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image16835.jpg

willtill
10-16-2015, 04:31 PM

This is a fascinating article :yes:

I've read the article... actually skimmed over a lot of it, but I read enough. I now have since drawn a conclusion. I will not run a car tire on a motorcycle rim. I have been contemplating it off and on over the years; but this article just nailed that coffin shut.

"Bead lock" "Bead hump" Two very important terms... and the article explains the mechanical lock of the tire bead -vs- the inability for it to occur... if wheels and tires from cars/motorcycles are mixed.

Pictures explaining the differences and the forces that actually lock the tire bead to the rim... this referenced article really explains it well.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2087lmb.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ivmtsj.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/r1ki2p.jpg

Thanks BIGLRY :039:

bob109
10-16-2015, 04:55 PM
This is exactly the article I was referring to! Before anyone jumps to conclusion, there is one very important fact that is not addressed, to my knowledge, in this article, and that is what amount of pressure it takes too break the bead when dismounting a tire. Been there on every occasion that I had a tire mounted/unmounted and believe me when I say it takes as much or more effort of the tire machine or hand bead breaker to break the bead on a cycle or car tire. Not scientific evidence by any means but a visual of the bead breaking operation is worth a thousand words. When the tire is aired up and you have that distinctive "pop" you know dam well the bead is seated. This is JMHO. Been doing Dark Siding for so long its the norm for me. Never, in almost 100,000K miles of DS riding, have I had a issue with bead separation.:icon_wink:

BIGLRY
10-16-2015, 05:27 PM
This is exactly the article I was referring to! Before anyone jumps to conclusion, there is one very important fact that is not addressed, to my knowledge, in this article, and that is what amount of pressure it takes too break the bead when dismounting a tire. Been there on every occasion that I had a tire mounted/unmounted and believe me when I say it takes as much or more effort of the tire machine or hand bead breaker to break the bead on a cycle or car tire. Not scientific evidence by any means but a visual of the bead breaking operation is worth a thousand words. When the tire is aired up and you have that distinctive "pop" you know dam well the bead is seated. This is JMHO. Been doing Dark Siding for so long its the norm for me. Never, in almost 100,000K miles of DS riding, have I had a issue with bead separation.:icon_wink:I concur with your observations and with almost as much mileage darksiding under my belt with various brands of motorcycles and using a CT on them I feel perfectly safe in their use. I only posted so everyone who had ? about the differences between tires and rims could see and read for themselves and make up their own mind.
I am a firm believer you can never have to much information, anecdotal along with empirical to make an informed, well rounded, educated decision. :301:

willtill
10-16-2015, 06:15 PM
This is exactly the article I was referring to! Before anyone jumps to conclusion, there is one very important fact that is not addressed, to my knowledge, in this article, and that is what amount of pressure it takes too break the bead when dismounting a tire. Been there on every occasion that I had a tire mounted/unmounted and believe me when I say it takes as much or more effort of the tire machine or hand bead breaker to break the bead on a cycle or car tire. Not scientific evidence by any means but a visual of the bead breaking operation is worth a thousand words. When the tire is aired up and you have that distinctive "pop" you know dam well the bead is seated. This is JMHO. Been doing Dark Siding for so long its the norm for me. Never, in almost 100,000K miles of DS riding, have I had a issue with bead separation.:icon_wink:

And I do understand what you are describing. Beads can be a REAL BITCH to break. The interlocking design of a tire's bead and the wheel rim is what grabs my attention though. It is succinctly addressed in the article. Especially the forces at work on the bead of the tire; as the vehicle stresses it during maneuvering.

With that being said... the study on paper looks good. The amplified stressing. The opposing forces at work that could negate the lack of interlock of tire bead against rim design. It's exacting. In real life... it does not always play out as expected. Or does it?

I have never heard of a dark side catastrophically destructing... but I have seen some undesirable wear on C/T sidewalls ... I understand that to be a matter of the wrong pressure/inflation though.

bob109
10-16-2015, 07:12 PM
I have never heard of a dark side catastrophically destructing... but I have seen some undesirable wear on C/T sidewalls ... I understand that to be a matter of the wrong pressure/inflation though.

Here's a few pics of a General G-Max which delivered 30,300 miles of service, mounted on my F6B OEM rim. Other than some "scalloping" on the outer thread/tread edge there is not a sign of any "side wall" wear! Capturing ones personal experience with a good narrative and plenty of pictures goes a long way in helping to clarify the "what ifs" of Dark Siding!

My personal safety is paramount! That said, I use due diligence and leave nothing to chance when selecting a CT for use on my cycles. I closely monitor air pressure in finding and maintaining a "Sweet Spot" PSI setting for good handling and overall thread/tread wear. After my tires are removed I love taking the bolt cutters, razor knife and hack saw, if need be, and dissecting the tire casing. There is nothing like a cross sectioned view of a tire to get a first hand and up close look at its construction and what remains of the thread/tread thickness. Call it "peace of mind" if you will. In ending, I find it rather amusing that Motorcycle Tire Manufacturers are always in a quest for a "Heavy Cruiser Cycle Tire" which delivers any reasonable longevity at a reasonable price. Finding the "Holy Grail" may be easier:shhh:

shooter
10-16-2015, 10:48 PM
And I'm telling you guys that in the real world the CT does not fit the Goldwing rim like in that picture. I mount all my own tires and as of now I have a G-Max and an Alpin mounted up and that large bead area in that picture sticking up along that edge is not present on my tires. Don't know if the GW rim is different than other MC rims or not but the bead fits that rim good. And Wayne let me tell you something brother , don't ever believe what people tell you. There are a lot of haters out there and most of them are dumbass know-it-alls. They can't find their ass with both hands on a dark night but they are experts cause they read something or heard something. I would much rather listen to someone like Big Larry or Bob 109. These guys are pioneers. They have lived it. Through this forum and Bob I got started on Darkside and my experience has been great. I ride hard and mostly two up. Wife and I ride the curviest roads available in KY , AR , OH , and MO. I'm not the best rider out there by a long shot but I don't take a back seat to too many people. My B corners better than any big cruiser I've been around. My Dad taught me to always be a leader and never a follower. I feel like with my Alpin I have the best combination of durability and handling I've ever had on a MC. I like my CT. No body told me to say that. I came up with that on my own.

bob109
10-17-2015, 02:48 AM
I would much rather listen to someone like Big Larry or Bob 109. These guys are pioneers. They have lived it. Through this forum and Bob I got started on Darkside and my experience has been great.

Shooter

I'm flattered by you kind comment of me being a pioneer in the Dark Side Arena, but that is far from the fact/truth. I'm actually a product of a man named "Daniel Meyer". He is the one who is truly the Pioneer in/of the use of CT's on motorcycles. I'm sure there were others, but Mr. Meyer was one of, if not the first, to publish a book on the Dark Side Experience. He now has several books under the title of "Life Is a Road" and they are some of the most informative works of the DS I've read/encountered. A Engineer, pilot and author, his background supports his findings/observations with relevance and humor. If someone is interested in the art/practice of Dark Siding, Meyer's works are a "must read" IMHO. I'm attaching a source for his works!

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVi6.9SFWLg0AWaoPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBydWNmY2M wBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM0BHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1445094975/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2flifeisaroad.com%2fstories%2f2004%2 f10%2f27%2ftheDarkSide.html/RK=0/RS=13SBAEx8NlF488WU3gsQQyKiW28-

I think what is most important about our practice of Dark Siding is that we readily share our experiences with others. You, as a Tire Dealer/Installer are in a position to offer informative and first hand info on mounting/balancing etc. Your experience in that area is "priceless". Along with all the other actual first hand experiences of our DS Riders, a "treasure trove" of info begins to develop! Along with our Administrator and Moderators ability and diligence in consolidating that info in a specific Forum for Dark Siding that really is the "icing on the cake"! We are lucky to have a venue where we can openly discuss a topic which is oft avoided and scoffed at on other forms:shhh:

Ride Safe

bob109

wiggy
10-17-2015, 06:47 AM
Shooter

I think what is most important about our practice of Dark Siding is that we readily share our experiences with others. You, as a Tire Dealer/Installer are in a position to offer informative and first hand info on mounting/balancing etc. Your experience in that area is "priceless". Along with all the other actual first hand experiences of our DS Riders, a "treasure trove" of info begins to develop! Along with our Administrator and Moderators ability and diligence in consolidating that info in a specific Forum for Dark Siding that really is the "icing on the cake"! We are lucky to have a venue where we can discuss a topic which is oft avoided and scoffed at on other forms:shhh:

Ride Safe

bob109

I don't think I could have said it any better than what Shooter summed up. Thanks to all who've commented on this thread. Between Valkyries, Wings, and now F6bs, there are thousands of Darksiders, I'm sure, and I've never once heard of a car tire coming unseated and losing pressure.

I personally know a friend and his wife who were both hurt with broken bones when their rear tire suddenly went flat and he lost control. This rider had over 100k miles of riding experience. Btw, he was running an Avon Cobra, one of the more popular motorcycle tires.

Ride Safe,
wiggy

willtill
10-17-2015, 07:41 AM
Shooter

I'm flattered by you kind comment of me being a pioneer in the Dark Side Arena, but that is far from the fact/truth. I'm actually a product of a man named "Daniel Meyer". He is the one who is truly the Pioneer in/of the use of CT's on motorcycles. I'm sure there were others, but Mr. Meyer was one of, if not the first, to publish a book on the Dark Side Experience. He now has several books under the title of "Life Is a Road" and they are some of the most informative works of the DS I've read/encountered. A Engineer, pilot and author, his background supports his findings/observations with relevance and humor. If someone is interested in the art/practice of Dark Siding, Meyer's works are a "must read" IMHO. I'm attaching a source for his works!

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVi6.9SFWLg0AWaoPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBydWNmY2M wBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM0BHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1445094975/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2flifeisaroad.com%2fstories%2f2004%2 f10%2f27%2ftheDarkSide.html/RK=0/RS=13SBAEx8NlF488WU3gsQQyKiW28-

Good read.

willtill
10-17-2015, 07:54 AM
And I'm telling you guys that in the real world the CT does not fit the Goldwing rim like in that picture. I mount all my own tires and as of now I have a G-Max and an Alpin mounted up and that large bead area in that picture sticking up along that edge is not present on my tires.

My honest curiosity (and my main concern) is of what one cannot see; once the car tire is mounted onto the motorcycle wheel. Does the lower foot of the tire bead; seat firmly between the wheel's bead hump and the side of the wheel's bead flange... with no gap?

No gap here:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2qjw2tz.jpg

Do the current car tires that some of you are running; present a snug fit between the wheel's bead hump and the side of the wheel's bead flange?

bob109
10-17-2015, 09:04 AM
My honest curiosity (and my main concern) is of what one cannot see; once the car tire is mounted onto the motorcycle wheel. Does the lower foot of the tire bead; seat firmly between the wheel's bead hump and the side of the wheel's bead flange... with no gap?

No gap here:

Do the current car tires that some of you are running; present a snug fit between the wheel's bead hump and the side of the wheel's bead flange?

Your question is very valid and IMHO will go unanswered until someone is "bold enough" too take a car tire mounted to a cycle rim, aired up to 40+PSI and subject it to a CT Scan at some Clinic or Medical Facility. That would definitely provide "proof positive" by giving a "cross sectioned view" of a "inflated" tire/rim fitting. Hopefully, amongst all the DS Riders, we have someone who will answer that question. Unfortunate as it may be, the cross sectioned pics provided to date are not truly reflective of a "inflated tire":icon_frown: The original author of the article surely deserves credit for his efforts in "sectioning" both a donor tire/rim. Without evidence of inflation there's some additional research to be done:icon_wink:

Phantom
10-17-2015, 09:10 AM
My honest curiosity (and my main concern) is of what one cannot see; once the car tire is mounted onto the motorcycle wheel. Does the lower foot of the tire bead; seat firmly between the wheel's bead hump and the side of the wheel's bead flange... with no gap?No gap here:http://i59.tinypic.com/2qjw2tz.jpgDo the current car tires that some of you are running; present a snug fit between the wheel's bead hump and the side of the wheel's bead flange?

Will,The steel belts and air pressure will keep the tire seated where it belongs. IMO the amount of CT side wall/bead making contact has been proven over and over to be more then enough to keep the tire in place.

Side wall strength concerns .....Just remember that most CT's are designed and built for much more weight and stress.
My current CT on my 4 wheeler is rated to a maximum of 1,521 lbsOur Rear Bridgestone G704 is rated to a maximum of 827 lbs.

When you place a CT on a Bike like the F6B, don't forget that you are distributing the weight of the bike between the 2 tires, the CT is lucky to be holding 750 lbs of weight (F6B=900 +2 healthy passengers=600 ---> 1,500 lbs). The side walls are designed to handle much higher weight, abuse and stress on a 4 wheeler then they will ever encounter on a motorcycle.

If you are able to rack up the miles .....CT's are definitely a great alternative.

shooter
10-17-2015, 12:56 PM

No gap here:

I can tell you that yes it is a very tight fit. I generally takes more than 20 lbs of air pressure to seat that bead on a CT on a GW rim. And when you break it down it takes considerable pressure to break the bead.

wjduke
10-17-2015, 07:54 PM
And I'm telling you guys that in the real world the CT does not fit the Goldwing rim like in that picture. I mount all my own tires and as of now I have a G-Max and an Alpin mounted up and that large bead area in that picture sticking up along that edge is not present on my tires. Don't know if the GW rim is different than other MC rims or not but the bead fits that rim good. And Wayne let me tell you something brother , don't ever believe what people tell you. There are a lot of haters out there and most of them are dumbass know-it-alls. They can't find their ass with both hands on a dark night but they are experts cause they read something or heard something. I would much rather listen to someone like Big Larry or Bob 109. These guys are pioneers. They have lived it. Through this forum and Bob I got started on Darkside and my experience has been great. I ride hard and mostly two up. Wife and I ride the curviest roads available in KY , AR , OH , and MO. I'm not the best rider out there by a long shot but I don't take a back seat to too many people. My B corners better than any big cruiser I've been around. My Dad taught me to always be a leader and never a follower. I feel like with my Alpin I have the best combination of durability and handling I've ever had on a MC. I like my CT. No body told me to say that. I came up with that on my own.

I know and respect your opinion and your experience, and you know that. Big Larry has earned my attention since I've been part of this forum. For me, this is one of those areas that can go either way, but I prefer to stick with what engineers have decided, and I'll pay the price for the motorcycle tire, even if it means two a season. I never heard of any car tire bad experience. I know what I saw right in front of me on a day long ride with a guy with one on his 9. He swears by it as everyone else. I'm not a risk taker. Never have been. I make my own decisions, do what I want at this stage of my life. Guess what I'm saying is that this is an area that I can't get away from. It's not a big issue, everyone does what they're comfortable with and I don't have a problem with it. I'm for a motorcycle tire as much as you're for a CT, and that's ok. Be careful and ride safe....that's the most important thing.

shooter
10-17-2015, 09:15 PM
You're right Wayne. There is no good or bad in this area. Everyone should do what they feel is right cause safety is the primary issue. I would never do something that made me feel uncomfortable just cause someone said I should. Above all I respect others decisions about their safety and well being. There are just so many myths and untruths about the CT thing. A lot of them are perpetrated by people that have never tried it. Its a personal decision.

BIGLRY
10-17-2015, 10:08 PM
You're right Wayne. There is no good or bad in this area. Everyone should do what they feel is right cause safety is the primary issue. I would never do something that made me feel uncomfortable just cause someone said I should. Above all I respect others decisions about their safety and well being. There are just so many myths and untruths about the CT thing. A lot of them are perpetrated by people that have never tried it. Its a personal decision. +1https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/TLGzPFdKJO5fXH2-GOlXXT5CGtqfCWPY98Z8SZRo6Bc4ASRBYm4L9jX9TNHLIvIkVC zlAhuWU4T8OkYoS8C6B0bAunuM873ZcLPjuai_Gs5TZoEqpccG CnOUbGro8Q

willtill
10-18-2015, 05:32 AM
Maybe... :shhh:

...I will try a C/T still on my F6B. There's some testimony here that addresses my only concern about them; of the bead lock on the rim.

The naysayers once said; that if man was meant to fly; he would have been given wings.

We all know how that turned out. :icon_lol:

shooter
10-18-2015, 01:23 PM
Yeah Will , and they told Columbus he would fall off the edge of the earth. If not for him we might not be here enjoying this great motorcycle.

MisterB
10-18-2015, 03:21 PM
The lower seat and center of gravity have me on the F6B a lot more than my previous ST1300 and the miles are stacking up.
I was double dark on the ST with a TripleTred on back and BattlAx on the front. It took a little getting used to but no more than getting used to a new motorcycle.
The ST crew have tried lots of different tires and so have the standard Wing riders, unless the CT on MC combo has the riders disappearing into thin air we certainly would've heard performance or safety issues by now.
With warranty issues I can't think of any systems that are related to the tires in such a way as to fail due to a CT being mounted.
I guess if the dealer wanted to push the issue a shock failure might be disputed.
Someone earlier mentioned having a TPMS while running darkside, it's worth the peace of mind no matter what tires you run. Only problem with Double Dark is that the batteries may wear out before the tires do.